HB Airshow...

Edited Date/Time 9/30/2017 3:35pm
It's going on the next few days...the Blue Angels this year. Nothing like sitting in the office and having 4 fighter jets do a high speed pass over your rooftop. That shit never gets old. Please break my windows, I won't care.

http://www.hbairshow.com
|
JW381
9/28/2017 9:23pm
Just went to the Hillsboro airshow last weekend, finally got to see an F22. It did not disappoint at all.
Sully
9/28/2017 9:25pm
JW381 wrote:
Just went to the Hillsboro airshow last weekend, finally got to see an F22. It did not disappoint at all.
I got to see one on static display at an airshow about 5 years ago. Definitely impressive looking, but I'd rather see it fly.
JW381
9/28/2017 9:35pm
JW381 wrote:
Sully wrote:
I got to see one on static display at an airshow about 5 years ago. Definitely impressive looking, but I'd rather see it fly.
Well worth it. Pretty much point and shoot, like a 2 stroke. The Rhino looked heavy and slow in comparison (in the tighter stuff, obviously they're all fast Goin 700 knots). There was supposed to be an F15 both days, but unfortunately it didn't make supposed appearance when we were there on Saturday. I would have liked to have seen that comparison too.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/28/2017 11:46pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2017 11:09am
I ate lunch at Don Jose Thursday afternoon. Came out afterwards, and they were getting after it.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
9/29/2017 3:40pm
JW381 wrote:
Well worth it. Pretty much point and shoot, like a 2 stroke. The Rhino looked heavy and slow in comparison (in the tighter stuff, obviously they're...
Well worth it. Pretty much point and shoot, like a 2 stroke. The Rhino looked heavy and slow in comparison (in the tighter stuff, obviously they're all fast Goin 700 knots). There was supposed to be an F15 both days, but unfortunately it didn't make supposed appearance when we were there on Saturday. I would have liked to have seen that comparison too.
Both aircraft are ridiculous...have a thrust to weight ration of over 1 on afterburner (they can both accelerate vertically...most aircraft cant). They're both rated for 9g maneuvering....however, the F22 has thrust vectoring, which allows far better maneuverability. Also, the F22 can cruise above Mach1 without afterburner, and as I remember from years ago when the F22 was still the YF22, it flat ran away from the F15 chase plane when the pilots lit the afterburners. Last thing...the F15 at high altitude will outrun a F22 in outright top speed
9/29/2017 4:39pm
Jet guys, Isn't the F-22 the superior aircraft over the F-35? Or are they more like partners that work together? I was under the impression the F-22 was always the bad boy?

Also, aren't the F-16 single engine jets more loud/raspy than the F-18 dual engine jets?
JW381
9/29/2017 8:08pm
Jet guys, Isn't the F-22 the superior aircraft over the F-35? Or are they more like partners that work together? I was under the impression the...
Jet guys, Isn't the F-22 the superior aircraft over the F-35? Or are they more like partners that work together? I was under the impression the F-22 was always the bad boy?

Also, aren't the F-16 single engine jets more loud/raspy than the F-18 dual engine jets?
Apples and oranges, but I'd say the f22 is a better airplane for sure. The f22 shoots down other planes and that's about it. It does a damn good job at that, so much so that the government felt I was okay to only produce 108 for the entire air force. The f35 is a very complex, expensive piece of equipment designed to do an array of dirty jobs. I'm sure It will be good, but I'm not a big proponent of it (not that my opinion matters in the slightest).
JW381
9/29/2017 8:09pm
JW381 wrote:
Well worth it. Pretty much point and shoot, like a 2 stroke. The Rhino looked heavy and slow in comparison (in the tighter stuff, obviously they're...
Both aircraft are ridiculous...have a thrust to weight ration of over 1 on afterburner (they can both accelerate vertically...most aircraft cant). They're both rated for 9g...
Both aircraft are ridiculous...have a thrust to weight ration of over 1 on afterburner (they can both accelerate vertically...most aircraft cant). They're both rated for 9g maneuvering....however, the F22 has thrust vectoring, which allows far better maneuverability. Also, the F22 can cruise above Mach1 without afterburner, and as I remember from years ago when the F22 was still the YF22, it flat ran away from the F15 chase plane when the pilots lit the afterburners. Last thing...the F15 at high altitude will outrun a F22 in outright top speed
The 22 did a Trans-sonic supercruise pass in his demo, it was cool but so different than the usual full AB pass. The Rafale's are supposed to have supercruise in their latest upgrade.
DoctorJD
9/30/2017 5:27am
JW381 wrote:
My brother-in-law flies for the Air National Guard (ex. Navy pilot, as well). Has flown F/A-18's during his time in the Navy and F-15's and F-22's during his time in the Air NG. I got an opportunity a couple of years ago to be a part of his final flight celebration (which turned out to be a bit premature) and got to spend some quality time with the F-22.

To say this is a bad ass piece of equipment doesn't begin to cover it.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
9/30/2017 5:30am
JW381 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
My brother-in-law flies for the Air National Guard (ex. Navy pilot, as well). Has flown F/A-18's during his time in the Navy and F-15's and F-22's...
My brother-in-law flies for the Air National Guard (ex. Navy pilot, as well). Has flown F/A-18's during his time in the Navy and F-15's and F-22's during his time in the Air NG. I got an opportunity a couple of years ago to be a part of his final flight celebration (which turned out to be a bit premature) and got to spend some quality time with the F-22.

To say Im jealous would be an understatement.
JW381
9/30/2017 8:00am
JW381 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
My brother-in-law flies for the Air National Guard (ex. Navy pilot, as well). Has flown F/A-18's during his time in the Navy and F-15's and F-22's...

Got damn....
bsm121
9/30/2017 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/30/2017 3:35pm

One of my favorites.
plowboy
9/30/2017 4:29pm
Look up the Scorpion aircraft. I've been working on that program for 5 years now. I'm the lead experimental mechanic. I had my doubts about the durability at first but we can turn this baby 5 times a day (more if we had more pilots). The only thing that breaks is worn out tires. We just got back from White Sands OA-X "experiment" and the USAF evaluator was bitching cause we had zero maintenance actions in 20 weapons deployment flights (code 1). We are still in developmental flight expansion. Ultimately we are looking at 450+kts +8 -4g, 46agl. MX25 ball, Hemix and all the bells/whistles. It's not an A10 replacement but it'll do till that contract is released by DOD.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
9/30/2017 4:56pm
plowboy wrote:
Look up the Scorpion aircraft. I've been working on that program for 5 years now. I'm the lead experimental mechanic. I had my doubts about the...
Look up the Scorpion aircraft. I've been working on that program for 5 years now. I'm the lead experimental mechanic. I had my doubts about the durability at first but we can turn this baby 5 times a day (more if we had more pilots). The only thing that breaks is worn out tires. We just got back from White Sands OA-X "experiment" and the USAF evaluator was bitching cause we had zero maintenance actions in 20 weapons deployment flights (code 1). We are still in developmental flight expansion. Ultimately we are looking at 450+kts +8 -4g, 46agl. MX25 ball, Hemix and all the bells/whistles. It's not an A10 replacement but it'll do till that contract is released by DOD.
Im coming over to see it! Im only about 80 miles from you, just over the border, SW!
Wildeye511
9/30/2017 5:03pm
Seeing the F-35's flying around here is pretty cool. I never got tired of seeing our airpower on display when I was on active duty
plowboy
9/30/2017 5:34pm
plowboy wrote:
Look up the Scorpion aircraft. I've been working on that program for 5 years now. I'm the lead experimental mechanic. I had my doubts about the...
kzizok wrote:
Im coming over to see it! Im only about 80 miles from you, just over the border, SW!
We have returned to home base now (Wichita KS). We will be at Tucson AZ for WEPTAC (weapons tactics) from Oct 15th to (whenever the AF gets tired of flying demos). Then to Nellis AFB for more demos. Then off to Saudi, Afghanistan, Iraq for no shit combat demos. This plane is the real deal. The standoff is 12 miles and expanding. The loiter is 3 plus hours. We can buddy laze for any NATO aircraft. If they are Hemix capable we can do crazy shit. This thing is old school reliable with latest/greatest weapons delivery and ISL capability. Not talking shit or bragging....this thing is a T-bone for hot dog price. It honestly surprised the engineers and us builders/maintainers with its abilities.

Post a reply to: HB Airshow...

The Latest