In a Parallel Universe...

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/20/2020 11:33am Edited Date/Time 3/31/2021 11:44pm
Science says there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, each having arisen out of a combination of events that did not transpire in this one. (Let's imagine that there's a universe in which you did not open this thread. Your life in that universe might go on to be slightly different, and so would the lives of people around you.)
If you follow the logic to its conclusion, you can extrapolate every possible event in your life to some kind of crazy scenarios. For instance, if there is such a thing as a parallel universe, and there really are infinite numbers of them, then it's entirely possible that, in one version:

-I won the World Mini in 1999, turned pro, landed a Team Yamaha ride, ascended to greatness, and prevented RC from becoming the GOAT.
-My wife, Jennifer Garner, was pretty stoked with all those championship bonuses, even though she was already independently wealthy.
-I now have a hard time deciding which exotic luxury car to drive each day, so I have them color-coded to certain days of the week. I drive my orange GT3RS on Tuesdays.
-They can genetically engineer alligators to be household pets. I have one, but I find it repugnant to dye them in the test tube, so mine is a natural color. The neighbors have a pink one. How gauche.

What kind of crazy realities exist in your parallel universe?
|
10/20/2020 11:44am Edited Date/Time 10/20/2020 11:45am
Huh

Hmm......this is a question worth answering if I hop over to altitude dispensary and buy some of the good stuff.
KMC440
10/20/2020 12:09pm
I won 35 straight outdoor national mx championships on a Vespa.

Sukit
Falcon
Fantasy
765th

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/20/2020 1:19pm
Here's part of the justification for how I derive my proposal that there's a universe in which I married Jennifer Garner:

The theory of quantum mechanics, which reigns over the tiny world of subatomic particles, suggests another way multiple universes might arise. Quantum mechanics describes the world in terms of probabilities, rather than definite outcomes. And the mathematics of this theory might suggest that all possible outcomes of a situation do occur — in their own separate universes. For example, if you reach a crossroads where you can go right or left, the present universe gives rise to two daughter universes: one in which you go right, and one in which you go left.

"And in each universe, there's a copy of you witnessing one or the other outcome, thinking — incorrectly — that your reality is the only reality," Greene wrote in "The Hidden Reality."

By the way, just because there may be an infinite number of universes, it doesn't necessarily mean that any of them involve me even meeting Jennifer Garner or becoming a supercross champion. There may be just as many other universes in which I'm a heroin junkie marred to Courtney Love. *Shudder.
Fonzarelli
10/20/2020 2:22pm
Nerds already know all about this:

JeremyK
10/20/2020 3:58pm
Falcon wrote:
Science says there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, each having arisen out of a combination of events that did not transpire in this...
Science says there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, each having arisen out of a combination of events that did not transpire in this one. (Let's imagine that there's a universe in which you did not open this thread. Your life in that universe might go on to be slightly different, and so would the lives of people around you.)
If you follow the logic to its conclusion, you can extrapolate every possible event in your life to some kind of crazy scenarios. For instance, if there is such a thing as a parallel universe, and there really are infinite numbers of them, then it's entirely possible that, in one version:

-I won the World Mini in 1999, turned pro, landed a Team Yamaha ride, ascended to greatness, and prevented RC from becoming the GOAT.
-My wife, Jennifer Garner, was pretty stoked with all those championship bonuses, even though she was already independently wealthy.
-I now have a hard time deciding which exotic luxury car to drive each day, so I have them color-coded to certain days of the week. I drive my orange GT3RS on Tuesdays.
-They can genetically engineer alligators to be household pets. I have one, but I find it repugnant to dye them in the test tube, so mine is a natural color. The neighbors have a pink one. How gauche.

Infinity is such a large figure that your exact same scenario will happen an infinite number of times.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/20/2020 4:38pm
Falcon wrote:
Science says there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, each having arisen out of a combination of events that did not transpire in this...

JeremyK wrote:
Infinity is such a large figure that your exact same scenario will happen an infinite number of times.
Yes, but no... it is entirely possible that even an infinite number of universes do not contain an example of my scenario. That still leaves room for infinite other possibilities.
TXDirt
10/20/2020 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 10/20/2020 5:38pm
Instead of alternate realities, think maybe of alternate positions. Take a snapshot of everything in the world at once. Every electron has a position. From your hair, to a coffee cup, to a waterfall, to a guy smoking in china.

How long would it take for every electron In the world to have every possible alternate position under every possible scenario mathematically possible.

It would basically be infinity.

If I had a high powered camera fixed on a waterfall that has water splashing onto the rocks below, and I took a snapshot and could map out all the positions of every electron that makes up a single snapshot of the water splashing, how long would it be until I could capture an identical snapshot with every splash in perfect identical form as my original snapshot.
JeremyK
10/20/2020 6:04pm
You guys make my head hurt
10/20/2020 10:27pm
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

KMC440
10/20/2020 10:39pm
But the closer you get to the speed of light you slow the aging process. So much so that if you took a trip at nearly that speed for 30 years you would return not aged at all. In theory.
lestat
10/20/2020 11:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 12:15am
KMC440 wrote:
But the closer you get to the speed of light you slow the aging process. So much so that if you took a trip at nearly...
But the closer you get to the speed of light you slow the aging process. So much so that if you took a trip at nearly that speed for 30 years you would return not aged at all. In theory.
Not quite . You would age normally from your perspective , but would appear much younger from the perspective of people on earth , who had not been travelling at light speed , and they would have aged much faster according to your clock . Time is relative . There is no universal clock , only relative clocks . This has been proven many times , most recently with NASA and the twin astronauts . Also works with gravity as acceleration and gravity are equivalent . Einstein’s General Relativity .

The OP is referring to the Many Worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics . Sean Carroll is a big proponent of this interpretation and has a lot of videos , interviews on the web as well as his book , Something Deeply Hidden , and his podcast Mindscape . It’s an interesting theory that is gaining a lot of traction within the physics community because it appears to extend the current theories and equations we work with in QM without having to add any further assumptions . It is actually the simplest interpretation , in a way , because it follows the math that we have now . The problem with Many Worlds is that , like String Theory , it is untestable . If there are infinite versions of reality , we can never interact with any of them .
10/21/2020 1:11am
Cosmological scientists offer many wild theories. The fact is that most of them must be wrong. String theory, multi universe theory, the cosmological constant problem. Vast amounts of money are spent on huge particle accelerators and space probes looking for data. Einstein worked out his theories with a pencil and paper. And none of his findings have ever been proved wrong. The age, mass and size of the universe are all uncertain (not to mention dimensionality) and yet scientists continue to use current estimates as gospel. Anyone who tells you a fact about the universe is a frog in a well.
Let’s start with dimensions. A flat, infinite universe is clearly impossible. And yet that is what we are told is true. There is alternatives.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/117173905548486
JustMX
10/21/2020 5:43am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 5:51am
My alternate universe (based on trends in my life)

I was excited to race the old yamaha to consistent mid pack placings for years, and was excited that I had apparantly gotten somebody's attention when I received an offer, and ultimately a contract to ride for an up and coming new team.

Unfortunately I just never seemed to feel comfortable on the cannondale.

I kept soldiering on and finally that paid off when I received a call from another team with a long history of signing future title contenders, JGR.

In my personal life, everything is rosy. I decided to take advantage of a unique feature of this universe. Bigamy is legal and actually encouraged. I jumped at the chance to marry 2 famous, wealthy women.

I wake up every morning deciding who to spend my time with and possibly have hot, sweaty sex with for long periods of time.

It really is hard sometimes to chose between Rosanne barr and rosy o'donnell.

I guess to help one understand the difficulty in that decision I would compare it to the current presidential election. I just swallow hard, close my eyes and try to pick the least disgusting option at that particular moment in time

At least I have my love of automobiles to distract me.

I alternate from my yugo, to my choice of several AMC models including a cherry pacer, to the top vintage muscle car in this universe, a mid 70's Camaro with a straight 6 engine.

10/21/2020 6:11am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 6:13am
TXDirt wrote:
Instead of alternate realities, think maybe of alternate positions. Take a snapshot of everything in the world at once. Every electron has a position. From your...
Instead of alternate realities, think maybe of alternate positions. Take a snapshot of everything in the world at once. Every electron has a position. From your hair, to a coffee cup, to a waterfall, to a guy smoking in china.

How long would it take for every electron In the world to have every possible alternate position under every possible scenario mathematically possible.

If I had a high powered camera fixed on a waterfall that has water splashing onto the rocks below, and I took a snapshot and could map out all the positions of every electron that makes up a single snapshot of the water splashing, how long would it be until I could capture an identical snapshot with every splash in perfect identical form as my original snapshot.
A long time but eventually it WILL happen again, as time doesn’t exist. It’s just made up by humans to quantify metabolism on a linear track, day night rotation etc..
Homey55
10/21/2020 6:30am
Has anyone seen "Counterpart" on Amazon? The show is a couple years old, but deals with the possibility of a parallel universe. The trippy part about it is that one world was decimated by a virus, so everyone wears masks...the show was filmed in 2017.
TXDirt
10/21/2020 7:43am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2020 7:49am
TXDirt wrote:
Instead of alternate realities, think maybe of alternate positions. Take a snapshot of everything in the world at once. Every electron has a position. From your...

A long time but eventually it WILL happen again, as time doesn’t exist. It’s just made up by humans to quantify metabolism on a linear track...
A long time but eventually it WILL happen again, as time doesn’t exist. It’s just made up by humans to quantify metabolism on a linear track, day night rotation etc..
I'm just not sure about that. Every electron in the "spalsh" photo would have to be in complete perfect alignment to be able to ever capture an exact replica snapshot.

I googled "how many electrons in a drop of water"...

We can use Avogadro’s number to determine the number of molecules in a drop of water. Avogadro’s number tells us that there are 6.022 x 10^23 molecules of water per mole of water. So, next, we calculate how many molecules there are in a drop of water, which we determined:

molecules in a water drop = (6.022 x 102^3 molecules/mole) x 0.002275 moles
molecules in a water drop = 1.67 x 10^21 molecules of water.

In another way; there are 1.67 sextillion water molecules in a water droplet.

Now, the number of atoms in one drop of water is 3x the number of molecules:

atoms in a drop of water = 3 atoms/molecule x 1.67 x 1021 molecules
atoms in a drop of water = 5.01 x 1021 atoms

Or, we can say there are about five sextillion atoms in a drop of water.

Now think about it, that's just in a single drop of water. In the splash snapshot photo there are likely thousands of gallons splashing around. You take a single picture. It would seem damn near impossible that at some point in the future, that you could ever take another picture and have an identical snapshot.

Perhaps "randomness" would just prevent that from ever being possible.

Now I suppose when we are talking about "infinity" you could argue yes, if given enough time that exact splash will repeat itself.

But wow.... makes you think for sure.

This is partly why I don't believe in the parallel or multiple universe theory. Because every possible combination would equate a new universe. Not just me personally, but that includes all of the things in my universe all being different at different times. And a different universe exists for every single combination/change/outcome.

It's intriguing for sure.
APLMAN99
10/21/2020 8:28am
My son lives in the theoretical math world. He doesn't really care for anything related to "applied" math because it's just too boring for him......!

Thankfully, he doesn't really talk too much about it away from work, though!

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/21/2020 8:31am
The waterfall analogy is perfect, because we can wrap our heads around it. (Well, not really, because Avogadro's number is unfathomably large in itself). Now imagine not just the waterfall, but every waterfall on Earth waiting for an exact, perfect recreation of the same conditions. How about every molecule of water on Earth? Every molecule of water anywhere in the universe? Every molecule of any element anywhere in the universe? All Hydrogen atoms anywhere in the universe? All atoms of any kind anywhere in the universe? All subatomic particles of any kind, anywhere in the universe? Yeah, it's crazy.

10/21/2020 8:31am
I get that but structures repeat themselves. It may get time the point where it would be so far away and it would take millennia on millennia for it to happen again, but it’s NOT impossible for it to happen again, it’s more feasible that it can’t happen within our quantified time period.....

Example experiment:

Gravel: one piece Of gravel is readily found on a gravel pit, you can keep looking down and finding one piece East. You don’t have to walk far. The gravel is repeating. Now look for two pieces: say a brown and a white piece sitting next to eachother may be harder to find, but they exist. You might have to walk a few steps to find another identical cluster. Now look for 5 pieces of different color gravel sitting next to eachother in the same arrangement— they will no doubt be in that gravel pit but you’ll have to walk quite a distance all over that gravel pit to find it, hell might even have to dig a little surface gravel off to find it underneath ........Or jump to an entire different gravel pit altogether.

Obviously the molecules are more complex but at the basic level they can thought of as pieces of colored gravel in a. Gravel pit.

Ok, I’m out of weed.
lestat
10/21/2020 9:11am
Cosmological scientists offer many wild theories. The fact is that most of them must be wrong. String theory, multi universe theory, the cosmological constant problem. Vast...
Cosmological scientists offer many wild theories. The fact is that most of them must be wrong. String theory, multi universe theory, the cosmological constant problem. Vast amounts of money are spent on huge particle accelerators and space probes looking for data. Einstein worked out his theories with a pencil and paper. And none of his findings have ever been proved wrong. The age, mass and size of the universe are all uncertain (not to mention dimensionality) and yet scientists continue to use current estimates as gospel. Anyone who tells you a fact about the universe is a frog in a well.
Let’s start with dimensions. A flat, infinite universe is clearly impossible. And yet that is what we are told is true. There is alternatives.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/117173905548486
Einstein was wrong with his Hidden Local Variables proposal for the quantum entanglement problem . See Bell’s Theorum .

Why do you think an infinite , flat universe is impossible ? We have tested this , and to the best of our abilities , we have found the universe to be flat .
lestat
10/21/2020 9:14am
I get that but structures repeat themselves. It may get time the point where it would be so far away and it would take millennia on...
I get that but structures repeat themselves. It may get time the point where it would be so far away and it would take millennia on millennia for it to happen again, but it’s NOT impossible for it to happen again, it’s more feasible that it can’t happen within our quantified time period.....

Example experiment:

Gravel: one piece Of gravel is readily found on a gravel pit, you can keep looking down and finding one piece East. You don’t have to walk far. The gravel is repeating. Now look for two pieces: say a brown and a white piece sitting next to eachother may be harder to find, but they exist. You might have to walk a few steps to find another identical cluster. Now look for 5 pieces of different color gravel sitting next to eachother in the same arrangement— they will no doubt be in that gravel pit but you’ll have to walk quite a distance all over that gravel pit to find it, hell might even have to dig a little surface gravel off to find it underneath ........Or jump to an entire different gravel pit altogether.

Obviously the molecules are more complex but at the basic level they can thought of as pieces of colored gravel in a. Gravel pit.

Ok, I’m out of weed.
Lol @ weed .

You are correct though . In an infinite universe , everything repeats ..... an infinite amount of times . This is where the weed helps for sure 👍
Motox627!
10/21/2020 11:14am
This thread just makes me realize how dumb i really am.....
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/21/2020 11:50am
Consider this picture. The "observable" universe contains everything which is close enough that the light emanating from the stars has had a chance to reach our eyes. In other words, that stuff was all 13 billion light years away when the light left it.
The observable universe is expanding into the "rest" of the universe. Scientists calculate how big it could be, but what's beyond that?

Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/21/2020 11:52am
PS-
There's a parallel universe wherein Joey Savatgy threw a vicious brake check on Zach Osborne in Vegas, won the title and two subsequent 250 National championships, and just recently got crowned as the 450 National Champion. Woohoo
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/21/2020 12:54pm
I had a crazy deja vu experience yesterday. It was about 10 seconds long and felt like the most vivid memory of every thing around me, every sound, every move I made. I was in a place that I had never been before, 500 miles away from where I live. It was like I stepped into a different dimension.
lestat
10/21/2020 1:15pm
Falcon wrote:
Consider this picture. The "observable" universe contains everything which is close enough that the light emanating from the stars has had a chance to reach our...
Consider this picture. The "observable" universe contains everything which is close enough that the light emanating from the stars has had a chance to reach our eyes. In other words, that stuff was all 13 billion light years away when the light left it.
The observable universe is expanding into the "rest" of the universe. Scientists calculate how big it could be, but what's beyond that?

We have no idea for sure and never will . The speed of light is actually the speed of causality , which is the limit to which you can interact with the universe . Because spacetime expansion is accelerating faster than the speed of light (dark energy) , it means that what we can interact with is actually decreasing . All the galaxies that are not gravitationally bound to our galaxy , will eventually be outside of our observable universe . After the Milky Way and Andromeda , (and a couple other galaxies that I forget the names of) merge in the distant future , our sky will be completely dark . We won’t be able to interact with any thing else . All other galaxies will be inaccessible to us . We will never see more than we can right now . Crazy shit right ? We are living in the golden age of astronomy .

Post a reply to: In a Parallel Universe...

The Latest