Interesting (Electric F-150)

SEE ARE125
2/17/2020 9:04am Edited Date/Time 2/17/2020 3:23pm
Just came across this photo of the electric F-150 being tested. Never mind the exhaust pipe, it's just a dummy pipe.

Looks like they're going with independent rear suspension.
|
XXVoid MainXX
2/17/2020 10:00am
The last I heard they were coming out with an F-150 hybrid in 2021 and then the full electric in 2022. Not sure if that is still true. I would be VERY interested in that Hybrid as it keeps the Ecoboost engine but puts an electric motor between the engine and the trans. The batter would allow it to run about 100 miles on electric only and if you run out of juice you have the Ecoboost for a backup. That would work well for me as most of my miles are local but ocassionally I take a Colorado trip pulling a trailer full of bikes where full electric just won't cut it for that.
XXVoid MainXX
2/17/2020 10:02am
Actually I think the hybrid is supposed to be this year and the full electric next year.
XXVoid MainXX
2/17/2020 10:20am
I have a 2014 F150 Supercrew. I should see if I can get it vinyl wrapped with that design. Everyone will think I am driving a prototype. Smile

The Shop

SEE ARE125
2/17/2020 10:31am
The last I heard they were coming out with an F-150 hybrid in 2021 and then the full electric in 2022. Not sure if that is...
The last I heard they were coming out with an F-150 hybrid in 2021 and then the full electric in 2022. Not sure if that is still true. I would be VERY interested in that Hybrid as it keeps the Ecoboost engine but puts an electric motor between the engine and the trans. The batter would allow it to run about 100 miles on electric only and if you run out of juice you have the Ecoboost for a backup. That would work well for me as most of my miles are local but ocassionally I take a Colorado trip pulling a trailer full of bikes where full electric just won't cut it for that.
Yeah I think they have a few other vehicles that work like that. I think the Taurus or Fusion had that option. I’m probably gonna replace my Tundra in a couple years, and am looking to go electric, or possibly the hybrid you mentioned. I know Ford invested in Rivian, so I’m assuming the F-150 has some borrowed technology. I love the Cybertruck, but the styling is a bit too extreme for my tastes. I prefer to blend in on the road. lol
XXVoid MainXX
2/17/2020 10:40am
Same here. I have a preorder in for the Cybertruck but unless there are 50 others out there on the road in my area I don't want to be "the one". Smile I might get a Model Y for the wife instead of getting a Cybertruck, and then maybe a hybrid F150 to replace my existing one.
XXVoid MainXX
2/17/2020 10:44am
I'm not having any luck finding anything concrete about the F-150 hybrid being available this year. It was supposed to be but I'm betting we won't see it this year.
SEE ARE125
2/17/2020 1:25pm
Same here. Everything I find is older speculative articles. Hopefully we’ll hear more soon. Any idea when the Ford vs. Tesla “apples to apples” test is happening? Or did I miss it? lol
ocscottie
2/17/2020 2:41pm
There is a bunch of vids on YouTube but they are all like 6 months old, probably BS speculation, i didnt even bother watching.

Void, did you see the guys that built the mini cybertruck? Its like 1/4 scale, and so badass lol Ill dig it up if you havent.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1301st
2/18/2020 6:16am
I'm not having any luck finding anything concrete about the F-150 hybrid being available this year. It was supposed to be but I'm betting we won't...
I'm not having any luck finding anything concrete about the F-150 hybrid being available this year. It was supposed to be but I'm betting we won't see it this year.
I would be shocked if they brought the hybrid out. I get your reasoning for wanting it but at this point it’s cheaper to just make an EV. When battery costs were a lot more per kWh the hybrid made a lot more sense.
XXVoid MainXX
2/18/2020 7:25am
I'm not having any luck finding anything concrete about the F-150 hybrid being available this year. It was supposed to be but I'm betting we won't...
tcannon521 wrote:
I would be shocked if they brought the hybrid out. I get your reasoning for wanting it but at this point it’s cheaper to just make...
I would be shocked if they brought the hybrid out. I get your reasoning for wanting it but at this point it’s cheaper to just make an EV. When battery costs were a lot more per kWh the hybrid made a lot more sense.
The problem for me is that the "main" reason I have my current F-150 is for the occasional cross country trip pulling a bike trailer. A fully electric will not currently work for that, at least not without MUCH pain. But since I have to have it for that I also use it for local grocery getting where a full electric would work just fine. For me, and I am probably in the minority, a hybrid would be the perfect vehicle at this time. At least until charging infrastructure was in place so that you could easily charge a truck/trailer combo on the road fairly easily and quickly. Range will be cut to less than half when pulling a trailer.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
2/19/2020 7:36am
The problem for me is that the "main" reason I have my current F-150 is for the occasional cross country trip pulling a bike trailer. A...
The problem for me is that the "main" reason I have my current F-150 is for the occasional cross country trip pulling a bike trailer. A fully electric will not currently work for that, at least not without MUCH pain. But since I have to have it for that I also use it for local grocery getting where a full electric would work just fine. For me, and I am probably in the minority, a hybrid would be the perfect vehicle at this time. At least until charging infrastructure was in place so that you could easily charge a truck/trailer combo on the road fairly easily and quickly. Range will be cut to less than half when pulling a trailer.
Check out youtube...I know it's a SUV, but there are several video tests of a Tesla Model X towing a trailer within its rated capacity. Range was cut by far more than half. Useless for any kind of distance towing unless you don't mind charging every 100 miles
mx617
2/19/2020 11:03pm
tcannon521 wrote:
I would be shocked if they brought the hybrid out. I get your reasoning for wanting it but at this point it’s cheaper to just make...
The problem for me is that the "main" reason I have my current F-150 is for the occasional cross country trip pulling a bike trailer. A...
I'd be in the same boat. 95% of my travel is probably 10 miles or less. Except the occasional trip back to my home town 5-6 times a year. It 350 miles or so, be important to make it in one shot with a full load.
blusmbl
2/23/2020 6:48pm
I have a 2014 F150 Supercrew. I should see if I can get it vinyl wrapped with that design. Everyone will think I am driving a...
I have a 2014 F150 Supercrew. I should see if I can get it vinyl wrapped with that design. Everyone will think I am driving a prototype. Smile
Each one of those circles you can make out is a sticker, and they're a massive pain in the ass to remove!

Post a reply to: Interesting (Electric F-150)

The Latest