It's Back!

G-man
Edited Date/Time 3/2/2019 10:04am
Guess I'm not the only one who likes this old school form of roadracing. Cool

https://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/1081122-cycle-news-2019-issue-06-febru…?
|
deluxeman
2/27/2019 2:12pm
That will be a fun series, those bikes are so badass
motogrady
2/27/2019 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 5:45pm
And really, those years are still affordable.
Honda wise, 1978 was the last year for single overhead cam. Those are the ones with the big rocker arm cover. A lot think they are more Art Deco looking, plus they have a lot of guys that owned them. They say they look better as a cafe

1979 to 1983, I think it's 83, they went double overhead cam with solid lifters. They scream like a 2 stroke. After 83 they went nighthawk which has hydraulic lifters.

79 to 82 or 83 there are 3 models for the 750.
Each year they tamed them down a bit. F model,
SS or super sport. Dual disc up front, disc in back. Maybe 4 hp more than the C, or Custom model. The C models look like choppers. Then there is the K model. The standard looking what some call naked bike.

The SOHC, pre 79 bikes are bringing 4 to 10 k.
You still see the 79 to 82 DOHC bikes go for 1500 to 4000. These are the ones that rip.

I just bought an 81 K model, 8,600 miles on it. All original, just dirty from sitting in a garage for 30 some odd years. Good title, $1,000.00.

I dunno if I'm gonna keep it or sell it. I mean, I find a C model somewhere I'd have all three from that era.

My 79 SS. OEM paint, only aftermarket is the 4x1 exhaust, cafe bars, and some secret mods to the air box to get it breathing a bit better. Orange and Black ones are pretty rare. There is one in the CycleNews pic just like it if u look close.

G-man
2/28/2019 7:56pm
Oh man that's a very cool bike reminds me of my first street bike a 1980 kz750 just like this one only it was black.
Had a Kirker header on there and used to run really good through the Malibu Canyons on the way to the beach or up Angeles Crest Highway I was in my young 20s and was lucky to survive those days. ?

motogrady
3/1/2019 4:39am
G-man wrote:
Oh man that's a very cool bike reminds me of my first street bike a 1980 kz750 just like this one only it was black. Had...
Oh man that's a very cool bike reminds me of my first street bike a 1980 kz750 just like this one only it was black.
Had a Kirker header on there and used to run really good through the Malibu Canyons on the way to the beach or up Angeles Crest Highway I was in my young 20s and was lucky to survive those days. ?

Ya the Kawasakis seem to be the stuff.
They always were strong running bikes. From the 2 stroke triples of the early 70s on up. The 1000, if you can find one, I mean that's an iconic bike.

To be fair though, the bikes of that era had and do have their issues. All the CB 750s I've had were heavy. They weigh a lot. And top heavy at that. The electrics are weak. I thought with disc all around it would be a great stopper but really, the new stuff brake wise is light years better. Plus, on the Hondas they used CV carbs for a few years. Craziest thing I've ever seen. The slides are opened by vacuum, not a throttle cable.
Try getting 4 carbs all working correctly, then synchronized together. Major pain.

But, when you do, the sound they make, the power they put out, truly a beautiful thing.

The Shop

G-man
3/1/2019 7:16am
WoW tha's crazy to know about the CV carbs.

I don't recall ever having issues with my 1980 KZ. But back then gas was still good to not mess up the carbs like now if you let the bike sit for awhile.

All I know is that bike kind of fell into mu lap (long story) as I had always been a Dirt Biker (Mxer) up until then. Definitely opened up a whole other avenue of motorcycling that I still cherish today.

Yea the Sound was sweet with my Kircker 4 into one exhaust and was even better with my 87 Hurricane with a Vance and Hines race exhaust--the sound was so awesome. Smile

My current streetbike (2001 FZ1) came with an Acropovic full titanium exhaust but the guy left the quiet insert in it. I've been tempted to take it out and make it sound better but I have found at 60 yrs old on LONG ROAD TRIPS a LOUD exhaust can be tiring so I've kept it quiet.

What kind of exhaust is on that Honda?

If you want some laughs check out these knuckleheads! LoL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHJ9yEHbuho
motogrady
3/1/2019 9:31am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 9:37am
Man, those FZ1s are nice.

I would think it would still be kinda hard to go back 20 years after having a ride like you do GMAN. Everything is so much better today it seems. Well, everything but the seat, or so it looks Laughing

Yamaha made a bike a few years ago, I can't remember the name, but I ran across one in a guys garage a few weeks ago. It was a cross between a sport bike like yours, and a long haul touring bike. Half fairing on the front. He told me he stepped back from a full blown sport bike for the one he had, said they don't make them anymore, but he's been doing mostly long haul riding, and that bike is perfect. Wish I could remember the name of it.

As far as mine, the exhaust, I dunno. I found mine in pieces. The owner was gonna cafe it. The guy before him raced and did track days on it. I lucked out, everything was there, even the sidecovers.
Every now and then I think about repainting, and decaling it. But, I dunno. It's oem but for a few parts. A survivor.
Know what I mean?
G-man
3/1/2019 11:11am Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 11:12am

Are you sure it wasn't the ORIGINAL FZ1? The Gen1 model was a great do-it-all machine from 2001-2004.

Then Yamaha in their infinite wisdom decided to screw up a good thing with the Gen 2 FZ1.
More RIGID Aluminum frame, notchy Fuel Injection, SMALLER fuel tank (less capacity!), ridiculously ugly license plate holder, crappy front fairing and a separate step-up seat for the passenger that puts them up above the rider.

All major mistakes in my opinion but yea I'm biased. The only good thing would be the USD forks for me.

Mine is just like this one, only I have a Corbin seat with a backrest as most of my riding is 2-up.

https://www.cycleworld.com/why-original-yamaha-fz1-was-so-damn-good

Oh and yea you can get the Gen1's for under $2000! Cheerful

motogrady
3/1/2019 11:50am
G-man wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't the ORIGINAL FZ1? The Gen1 model was a great do-it-all machine from 2001-2004. Then Yamaha in their infinite wisdom decided to...

Are you sure it wasn't the ORIGINAL FZ1? The Gen1 model was a great do-it-all machine from 2001-2004.

Then Yamaha in their infinite wisdom decided to screw up a good thing with the Gen 2 FZ1.
More RIGID Aluminum frame, notchy Fuel Injection, SMALLER fuel tank (less capacity!), ridiculously ugly license plate holder, crappy front fairing and a separate step-up seat for the passenger that puts them up above the rider.

All major mistakes in my opinion but yea I'm biased. The only good thing would be the USD forks for me.

Mine is just like this one, only I have a Corbin seat with a backrest as most of my riding is 2-up.

https://www.cycleworld.com/why-original-yamaha-fz1-was-so-damn-good

Oh and yea you can get the Gen1's for under $2000! Cheerful

Yep. That's the bike.
The guy a few weeks ago said he'd been thru a lot of bikes thru the years, had one when the first came out and sold it to go pure sport bike. Then realized what he had, sold the sport bike and just looked around till he found a low miles one. Said its the last bike he will ever own, no reason to even try to find something better.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
3/1/2019 4:49pm
Dang 4-10k for the SOHC models! Ive got a pair of 76 F models in the barn, maybe I should fix em up a little ching them out.
motogrady
3/1/2019 5:48pm
Hoseclamp wrote:
Dang 4-10k for the SOHC models! Ive got a pair of 76 F models in the barn, maybe I should fix em up a little ching...
Dang 4-10k for the SOHC models! Ive got a pair of 76 F models in the barn, maybe I should fix em up a little ching them out.
https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?cmd=SKW&_pgn=1&_nkw=honda+cb+750

Man, run out there and get us a pic. I love seeing those barn finds.
G-man
3/2/2019 10:04am
Oh man this baby looks like it would be fun to ride.
Woohoo

Post a reply to: It's Back!

The Latest