Know anyone that caught CV?

VetMX.com
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2021 1:25pm
I am on a stock trading team and the doctor who runs it (Ironically a brain surgeon with brain cancer) caught it at the hospital while doing his weekly treatments. He took the GILD drug and said he has had colds and the flu that were much more severe. He said it was really over hyped in the media. Anyone else know anyone or caught it themselves?
|
OldYZRider1
6/1/2020 3:26pm
That's a pretty long thread to get through. Here's something I can tell you:

I know of a customer of ours who was the first in our county to test positive for it. He farms and is an airline pilot and feels he got it up at O'hare. I haven't talked to him but an article I read about him indicated that he felt ill with a sore throat and went ahead and quarantined himself in his house separate from his wife and two young sons. After a few days he sought medical treatment but was not tested due to the criteria at the time. He returned a day or two later because of the persistent cough he developed. He was admitted to the hospital, tested and given an antibiotic; discharged a couple of days later. I believe he indicated it took about thirteen days to get the results and he was pretty much back to normal by that point. He did lose sense of taste. He about 50 yo and neither his wife or kids got it.

I also knew an elderly resident at a local nursing home which had it. He passed away as well as eight others now at that facility. We also have three other long term care facilities with cases. All the 11 deaths in our county have been in these facilities. Its a shame but also puzzling since these nursing homes have been restricting access and checking employees since the middle of March. We had one facility just now announce their first case yesterday. I believe asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic people may be the cause. Some people have been known to test positive for a month or longer too.
XXVoid MainXX
6/1/2020 4:41pm
CM_84 wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/The-virus,1373072?page=101 There is literally over 100 pages of this shit to read through Yes some people have mild symptoms, some have none at all and some...
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/The-virus,1373072?page=1…

There is literally over 100 pages of this shit to read through
Yes some people have mild symptoms, some have none at all and some have severe symptoms.
All well documented by scientists. all discussed and argued about in the aforementioned thread
Crush
6/1/2020 5:33pm
One of my mates tested positive. Had to isolate in a hotel. Had the sniffles basically. Probably young 30s and healthy dude, active in sports etc.

The Shop

APLMAN99
6/1/2020 5:42pm
My wife's uncle died from it. Her family is pretty f'ed up so in the 20 years that we've been married I'd never met him so I can't say that I "knew" him. She probably hadn't seen him in over 25 years even though he lived only about a dozen blocks or so from her parents.

All 3 of my older children have had acquaintances that tested positive, but they are in larger towns than I am (Seattle and Portland).
SEE ARE125
6/1/2020 6:09pm
My wife was sick from a little after Thanksgiving and all through December. Doctors said it seemed like flu and possibly pneumonia, so they tested her and she was negative for both. They had no idea what it was. She usually powers through most colds/illnesses, but this one knocked her on her ass. She coughed so hard she cracked two ribs, which was the main problem she had, dealing with the rib pain. Myself and the kids also got sick around the same time. For me, I vomited for a couple days, then just felt like shit for a couple more days and it was over. Kids had flu like symptoms that didn’t last long, mild fevers. Anyway, once COVID-19 hit the news, my wife was convinced that’s what she had. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my wife goes to get the antibody test and it’s positive. So she had it, and being that myself and the kids have kissed her, shared food/drinks, slept in the same bed as her, basically lived a normal life right beside her, I’m convinced we all had it. For me, it wasn’t that bad, I’ve definitely felt worse. As for her, I think her biggest problem was just dealing with the ribs. If the kids and I somehow didn’t have COVID, living in a house with someone who positively did, then it’s not that damn contagious. If the kids and I didn’t catch it from normal mother/child and husband/wife contact, then I don’t see how you’re gonna get it from a stranger unless they sneeze right in your face. But I believe it is as contagious as they say, and that we all had it, being as we were all simultaneously sick.

Now with all that said, if you’re a healthy individual with no pre-existing conditions, I wouldn’t fear it. However, we do need to take steps to limit the spread in order to protect those who do have pre-existing conditions. I also think some people are so afraid of getting it, that they’re going overboard. I get wearing a mask in a store, but wearing one out on a bike trail? Do they think COVID just exists in the air, and they can catch it just by stepping outside their home? I’m also convinced at least 75% of the mask wearers are doing so as to not catch it themselves, as opposed to prevent unknowingly spreading it. The level of fear people have of this is on another level.
TeamGreen
6/1/2020 6:27pm
My friend Larry who I met in here. He''s in his 50s and he's Georgia strong. No symptons. Just annoyed as hell at having to be isolated from his family...and especailly his newest-young grand kids!
JAFO92
6/1/2020 7:00pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2020 7:00pm
TeamGreen wrote:
My friend Larry who I met in here. He''s in his 50s and he's Georgia strong. No symptons. Just annoyed as hell at having to be...
My friend Larry who I met in here. He''s in his 50s and he's Georgia strong. No symptons. Just annoyed as hell at having to be isolated from his family...and especailly his newest-young grand kids!
Tell him hello for me.
6/1/2020 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2020 7:20pm
VetMX.com wrote:
I am on a stock trading team and the doctor who runs it (Ironically a brain surgeon with brain cancer) caught it at the hospital while...
I am on a stock trading team and the doctor who runs it (Ironically a brain surgeon with brain cancer) caught it at the hospital while doing his weekly treatments. He took the GILD drug and said he has had colds and the flu that were much more severe. He said it was really over hyped in the media. Anyone else know anyone or caught it themselves?
Easy now. Be Easy. You are brave. I may or may not have seen multiple people with one foot already in the grave pop positive. Was sure they were gonna crump out and die. Prepared for it...and turned out they Had minimal symptoms needing no respiratory support and tested negative 1-2 weeks later. The “wait-a-minute” light bulb went off, and it was then I realized this virus isn’t an automatic death sentence. Contagious for sure. Especially those cooped up next eachother with nowhere to go.
reded
6/1/2020 8:29pm
Step daughter has it right now. She’s 25 and in shape, works out daily and came down with it last Thursday. She says it’s milder than the flu but it’ll still make you feel like shit for 3-4days. She’s mostly over it at this point with only mild effects still lingering.
Shawn142
6/1/2020 9:36pm
We have had 2 people die of it at work. Like most of the cases they were older folks with other health problems already. One of those ended up infecting his wife’s family over dinner, her father ended up dying too. Plant wide there have been 14 confirmed cases.

With that said we have had people die of heart attacks at work before.

Death of Lockheed employee

rongi#401
6/1/2020 9:56pm
My riding buddy’s dad got it, said it was the worst he’s ever been sick, his boss died from it. Permanently
6/2/2020 6:39am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2020 6:41am
My mom had it. She had pretty mild flu symptoms for a few days, thought it had passed, and about 5 days later got hit by a second wave that knocked her out pretty hard. Trouble breathing and extreme fatigue with severe coughing. A lady she works with (that most likely gave it to my mom) had it so bad she was in a coma for almost a month.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
6/2/2020 6:54am
I had it for over month. I have had the flu many times and never flinch but it was the weirdest sickness. Fevers coming and going. I couldnt hardly breathe most of the time. Luckily I got an oxygen machine from dad a few years ago because this one had a cosmetic defect and they sent him a new one and got to keep original. It fealt like there was lava brewing in my chest and every move fealt like I was in thick wet cement which was the oddest sensation to date. Its like my body wouldn't listen. The fevers were nasty and up and down for weeks. I fealt like one more level worse for me and I may have been in serious trouble. My parents and super healthy 96 year old grandmother would probaly not survive what I had. Our close friends mom died across the state and have friends across the world who have lost perfectly healthy folks. Honestly still can't breathe completely like normal yet. Hope this isn't as good as it gets now.
JeremyK
6/2/2020 7:01am
My sister in law tested positive ,she didnt even know she had it ,one of her patients came up positive so she had to get tested ,her live in boyfriend tested negative. My wife had a sickness back in February that sounds alot like what people are describing, my 4 year old son had a nasty cough at the same time , I had a fever and body aches for a week while they were sick. We all went to our doctors and no tests were given to us . My wife works with international students from china and India so she very well could have come in contact with it before it was even supposedly in our area I guess.
Chance1216
6/2/2020 7:23am
A few friends here on Vital got it. My family friend in Portland Oregon, his daughter got it. She’s fully recovered but, unfortunately has lost 1/3 of her lung capacity. A co worker got it as well. He just returned to work this week after being out for 8 weeks. I haven’t spoken to him recently to know if he has any lingering side effects.
Shawn142
6/2/2020 8:53am
FLmxer wrote:
I had it for over month. I have had the flu many times and never flinch but it was the weirdest sickness. Fevers coming and going...
I had it for over month. I have had the flu many times and never flinch but it was the weirdest sickness. Fevers coming and going. I couldnt hardly breathe most of the time. Luckily I got an oxygen machine from dad a few years ago because this one had a cosmetic defect and they sent him a new one and got to keep original. It fealt like there was lava brewing in my chest and every move fealt like I was in thick wet cement which was the oddest sensation to date. Its like my body wouldn't listen. The fevers were nasty and up and down for weeks. I fealt like one more level worse for me and I may have been in serious trouble. My parents and super healthy 96 year old grandmother would probaly not survive what I had. Our close friends mom died across the state and have friends across the world who have lost perfectly healthy folks. Honestly still can't breathe completely like normal yet. Hope this isn't as good as it gets now.
From what I understand if you suffer from the lung hardening during the symptom phase there's a good chance you won't get that full capacity back.
6/2/2020 9:51am
Wife did - I’m sure I had it but wasn’t going to test.

It’s kind of like a box of chocolates.

Berni
6/2/2020 12:14pm
I have been tested and was negative..... But this COVID is so weird..... My uncle, who rides too, and is quite fit for his age (45), tested positive, althoug he barely had symptoms (just a little tired and lack of smell)...

So because he was possitive, all his family living at home was tested.... two sons and his wife, and all of them got negative results.

It is supposed to be extremly contagious, but seems like sleeping together with my aunt was not enough...
CM_84
6/2/2020 2:56pm
I love the anecdotal stories of 'xxxxxx got it and said it was no worse than the flu, this as all a media hype'
hundreds of thousands of people around the world would love to share their anecdotal stories about it, but they are no longer above ground.
XXVoid MainXX
6/2/2020 3:09pm
I wonder what the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who died from the flu have to say about that? Oh wait, they're no longer above ground either.
CM_84
6/2/2020 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2020 3:24pm
I wonder what the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who died from the flu have to say about that? Oh wait, they're no...
I wonder what the hundreds of thousands of people around the world who died from the flu have to say about that? Oh wait, they're no longer above ground either.
You are 100% correct, the seasonal flu is also a horrible virus (or viruses would be a better description)
But to put it into perspective last year 35,000 Americans died from the flu.
That many people are dying every month in the US now, despite the most widespread social distancing measures in history.
When was the last time NY had to store flu victims in trucks due to lack of space in morgues?
XXVoid MainXX
6/2/2020 3:32pm
Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-…

Both are bad and yes it sucks when people you love die. It's been happening forever and will go on forever. Neither will change how I choose to live my life. You're more than welcome to hide in your basement for as long as you want but don't tell me how to live my life (the last part of that statement is directed at my governor).
CM_84
6/2/2020 3:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/2/2020 3:52pm
I'm not living in my basement, I work from home because I can. pubs and restaurants must have less patrons, most shops are reopened, construction never stopped, professional sports are returning (without spectators) and people cant gather in large groups.
Because of derision makers listening to scientists, and a common sense approach with a pinch of luck my country has 4 deaths per million population, and whilst the economy has taken a hit, its recovering at a steady rate.

I am rightly proud of how we managed it. (that does not imply any comparison to any other country, just saying I am happy with how Australia is dealing with it)
Nighttrain
6/4/2020 3:49am
I’ve a close friend whose college age son had COVID-19. His only symptom was a total loss of taste and smell for 2 weeks. A minister at a nearby church who I’ve met a few times also had the virus. He was hospitalized and on a ventilator for a while. Those are the only two persons with any kind of acquaintance that I can count as having tested positive for the virus.
MasonMan
6/4/2020 10:02pm
Yes, Close friend died from COVID
That answer your question or do you need more?
FIREfish148
6/5/2020 12:47am
A couple people that I went to high school with got it and recovered fairly soon after. Also his dad got it and had a pretty hard time with it but is now fully recovered.

I was pretty worried about it at first because it first touched down at the elderly care center a block away from my apartment. Pretty weird how it's fizzled out.
JPT
6/5/2020 10:57am
A friend lives in a New York apt. She and her husband both got it, early 40s. Both were pretty sick for week to 10 days. They lived there during 9/11 and remembered seeing white trucks that they only later learned were refrigerated trucks for bodies. Hadn't seen them again until during the pandemic, then they were going by regularly.

People look for excuses to not take it seriously. My doctor is the medical director for Unity One here. He told me he's never seen anything like it.

Post a reply to: Know anyone that caught CV?

The Latest