Little issue at the track this evening...

XXVoid MainXX
Was running my last track day session today and someone lost it right in front of me. Thought I was going to have to jump it for a second:

https://youtu.be/jdm1-kyNjzk
|
JW381
8/6/2017 8:15pm
Too fast on a motorcycle for me, yet at the same time I really want to try this and flat track. ASAP

Nice getaway, Batman!
JAFO92
8/7/2017 4:22am
People who ride asphalt are crazy AF.

Wink
huck
8/7/2017 5:53am
You're gonna shoot your eye out!

The Shop

JPT
8/7/2017 7:03am
What were you hitting on that long straight?
XXVoid MainXX
8/7/2017 11:00am Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 11:02am
I actually wasn't hitting that last lap very hard because of the crash but I think on that lap in the video about 135. Also happen to catch a rare instance of where it popped out of gear there right before I let off. I think I had just shifted into 5th and it slipped back to 4th. That's happened only about 3 times since I've had that bike (about 25000 miles). But, probably don't get much over 140 on that straight normally. It's the shortest straight and shortest track of all the tracks we go to. That might be my last one though. Thinking it's time to give it up.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/7/2017 11:17am
Void, when you are in that position (before his crash) how aware are you of that rider? To me, I'd be looking at my line across the apex and I might not see him going down until he's already on the tarmac...
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
8/7/2017 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 12:08pm
So what caused him to drop? Almost looked like he drug something and lifted the back end. Mmmm, upon further review it happens when the color of the asphalt changes. Maybe traction conditions changed while he was under lean/power?
XXVoid MainXX
8/7/2017 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 2:06pm
Falcon wrote:
Void, when you are in that position (before his crash) how aware are you of that rider? To me, I'd be looking at my line across...
Void, when you are in that position (before his crash) how aware are you of that rider? To me, I'd be looking at my line across the apex and I might not see him going down until he's already on the tarmac...
I was playing around with the guy who passed the rider who crashed right before entering the corner. He had just come in 3rd in the GT race about an hour before that incident in the regular track day session. I was setting the rider up and had intentions of passing him coming out of that corner so yeah I was looking through the corner, but also he was heavily in my peripheral. I immediately recognized he was going down as soon as his rear started to come around. I was initially horrified at the thought of hitting the rider and I was already at max lean so I couldn't hit the brake without losing the front myself and I didn't want to do that and slide into him so I took my chances with standing it up a bit so I can get on the brake hard. My second thought after I realized I was going to clear the rider is how I was going to ride my bike over top of his bike and come out of it okay. Luckily the bike slid fast enough for me to get slowed down. You can see me shaking my head thinking "holy shit that was close". Smile
XXVoid MainXX
8/7/2017 1:21pm
Hman144 wrote:
So what caused him to drop? Almost looked like he drug something and lifted the back end. Mmmm, upon further review it happens when the color...
So what caused him to drop? Almost looked like he drug something and lifted the back end. Mmmm, upon further review it happens when the color of the asphalt changes. Maybe traction conditions changed while he was under lean/power?
The guy that crashed was telling everyone that he lost the front before seeing my video this morning. It's hard to tell if he hit the hard parts that caused him to lose the rear or losing the rear caused the hard parts to touch. I can say weird things happen when you get out into the middle of that corner. Probably a groove or bump got it started.
XXVoid MainXX
8/7/2017 4:13pm
I changed my mind about him losing the rear. I watched the Youtube video in 1/4 speed and you can see the front go out before the peg comes down and grabs ashpalt which started the bike to spin to the left giving it the appearance of losing the rear.
XXVoid MainXX
8/7/2017 5:17pm
And it may be he hit a damp spot on the track because it was misting. Here's some video from earlier in that same session:

https://youtu.be/xs0HBseaWFI

I was on slicks and felt like I was still getting good grip but it definitely was getting moist.
XXVoid MainXX
8/7/2017 5:28pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 5:29pm
And I take back what I said earlier. Looks like I am getting close to 150 at the end of the straight. The speedometer is actually fairly accurate on that bike. Might be 3 or 4 mph high at that speed. But it's still the slowest/shortest track we go to.
G-man
8/7/2017 9:12pm
WHOA!
Close one there Void... Woohoo
Good evasive action.
8/8/2017 10:01am
Hard to fight the instinct to grab the front brake and anchor up, had a similar thing happen and ended up going off track and across damp grass at about 80mph, serious pucker up moment.
XXVoid MainXX
8/8/2017 10:26am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2017 10:27am
Been there and done that a few times. Smile I've kept it up every time except for this one time last year when I got bumped out into the grass:

https://youtu.be/6cG7u8HWpI4

That was when my newer bike was brand new. Didn't even have the race fairings on it yet.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
8/9/2017 7:53am
Falcon wrote:
Void, when you are in that position (before his crash) how aware are you of that rider? To me, I'd be looking at my line across...
I was playing around with the guy who passed the rider who crashed right before entering the corner. He had just come in 3rd in the...
I was playing around with the guy who passed the rider who crashed right before entering the corner. He had just come in 3rd in the GT race about an hour before that incident in the regular track day session. I was setting the rider up and had intentions of passing him coming out of that corner so yeah I was looking through the corner, but also he was heavily in my peripheral. I immediately recognized he was going down as soon as his rear started to come around. I was initially horrified at the thought of hitting the rider and I was already at max lean so I couldn't hit the brake without losing the front myself and I didn't want to do that and slide into him so I took my chances with standing it up a bit so I can get on the brake hard. My second thought after I realized I was going to clear the rider is how I was going to ride my bike over top of his bike and come out of it okay. Luckily the bike slid fast enough for me to get slowed down. You can see me shaking my head thinking "holy shit that was close". Smile
I was going to say great job not target fixating on the rider or bike. I've always struggled with that when someone goes down in front of me.

Post a reply to: Little issue at the track this evening...

The Latest