Market testing the lows from Oct

borg
12/6/2018 7:33am
If the Dow breaks down below 24280 it could get uglier very quickly. Hopefully it bounces off. If not, next stop is around 24100 from June.
Void, if your stocks are just riding the market trend, I wouldn't worry too much.
XXVoid MainXX
12/6/2018 11:35am
Yeah, that's pretty much what has been happening with all of them except Tesla. Tesla has been going up through all this and actually keeping me in the green overall. Very happy with my timing on that last big buy.
borg
12/14/2018 12:50pm
Dow keeps breaking down through support. Not good. Still only down 9% from the high. S&P down 11% and the Nasdaq 14%. Tesla defying gravity. So to speak.
XXVoid MainXX
12/14/2018 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2018 4:17pm
Well, not today it wasn't. All my shit took a big crap today! Was a good week for me until today.

The Shop

APLMAN99
12/14/2018 6:03pm
borg wrote:
Dow keeps breaking down through support. Not good. Still only down 9% from the high. S&P down 11% and the Nasdaq 14%. Tesla defying gravity. So...
Dow keeps breaking down through support. Not good. Still only down 9% from the high. S&P down 11% and the Nasdaq 14%. Tesla defying gravity. So to speak.
It may have gotten a little worse at closing.
Dow is down 10.6% from the high.
S&P down 11.6%
Nasdaq down 15.0

If you’re close to retirement, hopefully we’re at a floor. If you’re younger, might be a good time to acquire some income producing vehicles!
borg
12/14/2018 7:19pm
borg wrote:
Dow keeps breaking down through support. Not good. Still only down 9% from the high. S&P down 11% and the Nasdaq 14%. Tesla defying gravity. So...
APLMAN99 wrote:
It may have gotten a little worse at closing. Dow is down 10.6% from the high. S&P down 11.6% Nasdaq down 15.0 If you’re close to...
S&P down 11.6%
Nasdaq down 15.0

If you’re close to retirement, hopefully we’re at a floor. If you’re younger, might be a good time to acquire some income producing vehicles!
I agree. This is just a correction and a weak one at that so far. At least for the Dow and S&P. The gains from '17 were unrealistic. Reversion to the mean. A person close to retirement should not be too overweight in stocks anyway. But yes, time to buy if you have many more years of earning.
XXVoid MainXX
12/15/2018 7:43am
As of today it definitely looks like TSLA was a good buy for me. I bought a big chunk at the bottom of that dip on the left. Question is, will it continue? Smile

APLMAN99
12/15/2018 8:14am
borg wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
It may have gotten a little worse at closing. Dow is down 10.6% from the high. S&P down 11.6% Nasdaq down 15.0 If you’re close to...
S&P down 11.6%
Nasdaq down 15.0

borg wrote:
I agree. This is just a correction and a weak one at that so far. At least for the Dow and S&P. The gains from '17...
I agree. This is just a correction and a weak one at that so far. At least for the Dow and S&P. The gains from '17 were unrealistic. Reversion to the mean. A person close to retirement should not be too overweight in stocks anyway. But yes, time to buy if you have many more years of earning.
If this is the bottom, then it's a correction. I wouldn't call it weak, more like a textbook definition of a correction actually.

Hopefully this is the bottom and there is more realistic, sustainable, and logical growth ahead.

If the DJIA dips further and approaches 2300, I'd worry that momentum would build and it'd become a bear market pretty easily at that point.
mx617
12/15/2018 8:46am
As of today it definitely looks like TSLA was a good buy for me. I bought a big chunk at the bottom of that dip on...
As of today it definitely looks like TSLA was a good buy for me. I bought a big chunk at the bottom of that dip on the left. Question is, will it continue? Smile

What's your exit strategy? Just curious.
Ebs
12/15/2018 9:09am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 11:11am
I've been sitting on some money to pump into an index fund, but have been hesitant with the large gains and talks of market correction. Probably shouldn't be so worried since this will be a long term play for me.

So, just tell me when.
XXVoid MainXX
12/15/2018 9:54am Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 9:55am
As of today it definitely looks like TSLA was a good buy for me. I bought a big chunk at the bottom of that dip on...

mx617 wrote:
What's your exit strategy? Just curious.
As of right now I plan to just sit on what I have although I would like to buy more stock in general while things are low. I just don't have a lot of free cash left to put into it. I've been pumping a lot in over the last 3 years and am down half of what I gained in the last few months (except for Tesla, which is currently my biggest holding and has by itself kept me in the green overall rather than red over the last few months). Would be a good time to buy in general I think for sure. I don't think you could go wrong by investing in some of the big players (my personal pick would probably be more Amazon). But, I am a n00b at all of this so I wouldn't listen to anything I have to say. Smile
borg
12/15/2018 10:43am
APLMAN99 wrote:
S&P down 11.6%
Nasdaq down 15.0

borg wrote:
I agree. This is just a correction and a weak one at that so far. At least for the Dow and S&P. The gains from '17...
APLMAN99 wrote:
If this is the bottom, then it's a correction. I wouldn't call it weak, more like a textbook definition of a correction actually. Hopefully this is...
If this is the bottom, then it's a correction. I wouldn't call it weak, more like a textbook definition of a correction actually.

Hopefully this is the bottom and there is more realistic, sustainable, and logical growth ahead.

If the DJIA dips further and approaches 2300, I'd worry that momentum would build and it'd become a bear market pretty easily at that point.

Not to quibble but the average correction is about 13% and the Dow is barely 10% at this point. The S&P is closer but still below average.

mx617
12/15/2018 10:10pm
As of right now I plan to just sit on what I have although I would like to buy more stock in general while things are...
As of right now I plan to just sit on what I have although I would like to buy more stock in general while things are low. I just don't have a lot of free cash left to put into it. I've been pumping a lot in over the last 3 years and am down half of what I gained in the last few months (except for Tesla, which is currently my biggest holding and has by itself kept me in the green overall rather than red over the last few months). Would be a good time to buy in general I think for sure. I don't think you could go wrong by investing in some of the big players (my personal pick would probably be more Amazon). But, I am a n00b at all of this so I wouldn't listen to anything I have to say. Smile
Nothing wrong with buy and hold, but to be clear I was referring specifically to Tesla. With a volatile position like that I was wondering if you had a plan to capture some gains along the way.
XXVoid MainXX
12/16/2018 5:49am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2018 6:08am
Well, I personally would like to dabble with shorter term trading and have always thought Tesla would be a good stock to play highs and lows as they've been very volatile and have been following a bit of a pattern and have been fairly predictable for the last few years, but I don't know enough about what I am doing for that yet so I've just been in for the long haul as I do believe in the company, not only as a car company but as an energy company and believe the stock will grow significantly over the next 10 years. But yes, I do believe a person could make much more on the stock. I also wonder if they'll be less volatile now that they are profitable. They still have the Musk factor in that he can say something at any moment that can change the stock price significantly overnight, but that's harder to predict.
vetmxr
12/16/2018 8:34am
I bought a bunch of Penny cannabis stock in the US and Canada (TSX) about a year ago........Weed just went legal in Canada this last July....

So far this has proven to have been a great decision....and it looks like its only going up.....We'll see......I'm thinking cannabis may be another wal mart or apple.........experts say it will easily surpass these in Canada and the US when it get legalized......

Just my opinion........I wish I'd have had the foresight to short Twitter when that gal chained herself to the front door for discrimination.......That stock took a short term dive......
APLMAN99
12/17/2018 12:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2018 12:52pm
borg wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
If this is the bottom, then it's a correction. I wouldn't call it weak, more like a textbook definition of a correction actually. Hopefully this is...

borg wrote:
Not to quibble but the average correction is about 13% and the Dow is barely 10% at this point. The S&P is closer but still below...

Not to quibble but the average correction is about 13% and the Dow is barely 10% at this point. The S&P is closer but still below average.

Well, that would have been assuming that Friday's close was the floor, of course.......

With 15 minutes of trading left today it was down a total of 12.733%, so pretty darn close to a "textbook" correction. At its lowest point today it was off 12.967%

It'll be interesting to see where it closes.
mx617
12/17/2018 2:21pm
Well, I personally would like to dabble with shorter term trading and have always thought Tesla would be a good stock to play highs and lows...
Well, I personally would like to dabble with shorter term trading and have always thought Tesla would be a good stock to play highs and lows as they've been very volatile and have been following a bit of a pattern and have been fairly predictable for the last few years, but I don't know enough about what I am doing for that yet so I've just been in for the long haul as I do believe in the company, not only as a car company but as an energy company and believe the stock will grow significantly over the next 10 years. But yes, I do believe a person could make much more on the stock. I also wonder if they'll be less volatile now that they are profitable. They still have the Musk factor in that he can say something at any moment that can change the stock price significantly overnight, but that's harder to predict.
They are definitely doing a lot of cool stuff, and I think we need to continue moving quickly to electric/renewables. Going to be huge profit in that sector in the future.

About the volatility, I think any closely watched stock is going to be more volatile than average. There's times when a company misses earnings projections by tiny fractions and the stock price drops by huge amounts. So yes maybe profitability will stabilize it a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it moving all over the damn place for a while yet.
XXVoid MainXX
12/17/2018 2:46pm
Well, I personally would like to dabble with shorter term trading and have always thought Tesla would be a good stock to play highs and lows...
mx617 wrote:
They are definitely doing a lot of cool stuff, and I think we need to continue moving quickly to electric/renewables. Going to be huge profit in...
They are definitely doing a lot of cool stuff, and I think we need to continue moving quickly to electric/renewables. Going to be huge profit in that sector in the future.

About the volatility, I think any closely watched stock is going to be more volatile than average. There's times when a company misses earnings projections by tiny fractions and the stock price drops by huge amounts. So yes maybe profitability will stabilize it a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it moving all over the damn place for a while yet.
To change the subject slightly, what do you think they should do right now as far as their business strategy? Here's something I've been thinking about. Because they are a public company and because they've been pummeled so hard by the shorts the last few years about them "bleeding/burning cash" I think they are a little gun shy and now that they are profitable they have indicated they plan on being profitable from here on out. But, I don't think that's the right course of action. I don't consider "investing in capital" to be "bleeding cash". They've shown now that they can borrow a bunch of money, spend it on infrastructure to build and assembly line that leads to a flow of cars coming off of that assembly line at a rate which makes them profitable and able to pay off the loans they obtained to build the assembly line.

My thought is, now is the time to borrow even more money to get the Model Y, the semi, and the pickup truck lines going. Yeah, they'll be "bleeding cash" for a while again while they do that but now is the time. They have such a lead over the competition right now I think it would be stupid to wait for them to catch up. Now is the time to strike. They've proven they can do it.
XXVoid MainXX
12/18/2018 12:15pm
I guess it was matter of time. My Tesla has been tanking the last few days. Sad
XXVoid MainXX
12/18/2018 1:16pm
I watch these guys occasionally even though I usually don't learn anything new, and they are even much bigger Elon Musk nut swingers than I which makes them hard to watch sometimes. But, I found this episode interested relating to stock manipulation.

https://youtu.be/dsd8S5nys3g
XXVoid MainXX
12/18/2018 1:39pm
Also, I'm actually happy the TSLA stock is coming back down. I actually predicted it to slowly come back down until right before 4th quarter, at which time I plan in buying some more, assuming more good news to come.
early
Fantasy
2212th
12/18/2018 1:48pm
I watch these guys occasionally even though I usually don't learn anything new, and they are even much bigger Elon Musk nut swingers than I which...
I watch these guys occasionally even though I usually don't learn anything new, and they are even much bigger Elon Musk nut swingers than I which makes them hard to watch sometimes. But, I found this episode interested relating to stock manipulation.

https://youtu.be/dsd8S5nys3g
I stumbled on a video by these guys the other day, they sure are nut huggers know it alls that's for sure Laughing
XXVoid MainXX
12/18/2018 2:10pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 2:10pm
Yeah, I would put them in the extreme nut job category for the most part and I've called them out a couple of times on some of their crap (and they've responded to my calling them out). But, occasionally they have something of interest. I hadn't seen that Jim Cramer video before. Found it very interesting.

Post a reply to: Market testing the lows from Oct

The Latest