NZ vs Tonga World Cup 'Cultural Exchange'

jemcee
I don't watch a tonne of Rugby League but will enjoy it if it's on.. but I'd say this is a must watch! The haka is always pretty cool but the cultural exchanges this year have been incredible!
Bit of extra background the dude in the middle of the Tongan one played for NZ but switched to Tonga (major underdogs) and has been called a traitor and all that sort of stuff from NZ fans and media (so I hear haha).. So it had a bit of extra spice haha.. Oh and Tonga won the game
Anyway get it into ya
|
APLMAN99
11/19/2017 8:55am
Do they get formal points for the dance routines?
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/19/2017 5:26pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Do they get formal points for the dance routines?
no, not in a rugby sense,
but they do have kapa haka competitions,

if you want to search youtube, some of the schools rugby games have awesome pregame ritual, where the whole home school will join them from the sidelines,

also the Waikato / east coast have a pretty good stand here,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhq_ZK_fhY
jemcee
11/19/2017 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 6:30pm
When I was younger I didn't really get it, but I spent a bit of time with a very proud kiwi and he said just imagine being Captain Cook, turning up on the shores of NZ and hearing all the warriors do the haka haha woulda been pretty fucken chilling! But now I just appreciate the honour of them, especially when they're done at funerals or for returning military! I've even seen some incredible ones that school kids have done for retiring teachers
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/19/2017 6:40pm
jemcee wrote:
When I was younger I didn't really get it, but I spent a bit of time with a very proud kiwi and he said just imagine...
When I was younger I didn't really get it, but I spent a bit of time with a very proud kiwi and he said just imagine being Captain Cook, turning up on the shores of NZ and hearing all the warriors do the haka haha woulda been pretty fucken chilling! But now I just appreciate the honour of them, especially when they're done at funerals or for returning military! I've even seen some incredible ones that school kids have done for retiring teachers
there is an awesome scene from Palmy boys high where the whole school does one for a teachers funeral, each branch of the military has its own haka as well,

I think that they are overdone at times, esp on the world stage, (the Olympics in Sydney was about the worst it got) but its a something different that NZ does that we can be proud of,

The Shop

jemcee
11/19/2017 7:35pm
scott_nz wrote:
there is an awesome scene from Palmy boys high where the whole school does one for a teachers funeral, each branch of the military has its...
there is an awesome scene from Palmy boys high where the whole school does one for a teachers funeral, each branch of the military has its own haka as well,

I think that they are overdone at times, esp on the world stage, (the Olympics in Sydney was about the worst it got) but its a something different that NZ does that we can be proud of,
Yep I'd agree with all that (except I don't really remember the Sydney Olympic event haha)
It's definitely cool that you're all so proud of celebrating your culture.. I'm jealous if I'm honest what do us Aussies have?
fucken nothin that's what haha
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
11/20/2017 1:38am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2017 1:38am
My sister in-law is Kiwi... Divorced, I mow her lawn but don't cut my brothers grassWoohooLaughing

Legit question, how did the USA go (couldn't be arsed looking it up) and did anyone from the U.S know they had a team?HuhLaughing
jemcee
11/20/2017 4:39am
EZZA 95B wrote:
My sister in-law is Kiwi... Divorced, I mow her lawn but don't cut my brothers grass:woohoo: :laugh: Legit question, how did the USA go (couldn't be...
My sister in-law is Kiwi... Divorced, I mow her lawn but don't cut my brothers grassWoohooLaughing

Legit question, how did the USA go (couldn't be arsed looking it up) and did anyone from the U.S know they had a team?HuhLaughing
yeah I don't know exactly but not well.. I mean prob as good as a team could go considering most of the them had prob never heard of the sport haha
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/20/2017 7:46am
EZZA 95B wrote:
My sister in-law is Kiwi... Divorced, I mow her lawn but don't cut my brothers grass:woohoo: :laugh: Legit question, how did the USA go (couldn't be...

lost 58-12 to Fiji, then 46-0 to Italy, then 64-0 against Papua New Guniea,
so only a touch worse than NZ did,

I was surprised they had a team as well,
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
11/21/2017 3:13am
scott_nz wrote:
lost 58-12 to Fiji, then 46-0 to Italy, then 64-0 against Papua New Guniea, so only a touch worse than NZ did, I was surprised they...
lost 58-12 to Fiji, then 46-0 to Italy, then 64-0 against Papua New Guniea,
so only a touch worse than NZ did,

I was surprised they had a team as well,
Laughing @ your NZ comment. Crazy the difference between the Union and League teams.
Pretty sure the USA have been playing i the world cup since the '90s?
jemcee
11/22/2017 5:32pm
Different game Spydee.. Wait you're from Wales you should know that haha
Spydee
11/23/2017 2:25am
jemcee wrote:
Different game Spydee.. Wait you're from Wales you should know that haha
Oh shit yeah, league not 7's, didn't read the OP properly Laughing
Spydee
11/23/2017 2:27am
scott_nz wrote:
you want to put a wager on the All Blacks Wales test this weekend Spydee ?

Christ man, we only just hung on to beat Georgia, and don't even get me started with Australia - the fact that we haven't beaten them since 2008 is diabolical!

The All Blacks are certainly going to make us look like amateurs, that's guaranteed. 30+ points on top of our score I reckon, and I would be surprised if we score more than one try in 80 minutes. I have more faith in our national football team than our rugby atm.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/23/2017 3:36pm
i give Wales a shot here, the All Blacks have not looked that good on this tour, and Gatland had a great game plan with the lions, it could be closer than you think,
Spydee
11/27/2017 3:19am
Promising to begin with until the final quarter, same old story and your streak extends to 30 wins in a row against us lol.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/27/2017 8:46am
Spydee wrote:
Promising to begin with until the final quarter, same old story and your streak extends to 30 wins in a row against us lol.
thought teh Welsh played well, dominted territory and position, but the all blacks were too good in the end,

the Irish won a coupe of years ago for the first time, can't see the streak lasting forever, but 1953 was a long time ago,
Spydee
11/27/2017 9:17am
Dude, even the Scottish can beat (sorry, thrash) Australia and we cna't even beat them. We don't have a hope in hell against the All Blacks I'm telling you lol.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
11/27/2017 10:32am
Spydee wrote:
Dude, even the Scottish can beat (sorry, [i]thrash[/i]) Australia and we cna't even beat them. We don't have a hope in hell against the All Blacks...
Dude, even the Scottish can beat (sorry, thrash) Australia and we cna't even beat them. We don't have a hope in hell against the All Blacks I'm telling you lol.
Scotland have played well, they got dam close to beating the all blacks and probably deserved to , man I love watching Michael checka lose

Post a reply to: NZ vs Tonga World Cup 'Cultural Exchange'

The Latest