Ok , so I just received a package from China.

2/26/2020 5:40pm
Just dealt with ARDS this morning. Pt in bad shape, but has some comorbids.... positive for influenza A +. 4 admissions has flu. 1 is near...
Just dealt with ARDS this morning. Pt in bad shape, but has some comorbids.... positive for influenza A +. 4 admissions has flu. 1 is near death. No corona virus. My stats show 25%. But that’s the thing I can cherry pick my stats. When the real issue is here.....it’s a virus. Cover your mouth. Wash your hands. Treatment is supportive care. Healthy individuals will be ok, Comorbid folks will take hard hits and potentially die. APL Even at your 2% Covid-19 figure thats 98% survival. of those 2% how many have chronic illness / comorbidities ?

This virus is just getting drummed up out of control. I’d take a humanitarian mission to wuhan to treat it if the army paid for it. It’s not that big of a deal.
Yeah exactly. I remember googling when it first hit. It sounded like a common cold....but common colds can kill people who are already 97 years old with tubes coming out of every orifice.
Nighttrain
2/26/2020 5:58pm
Thanks, GP, for the sensible description from a medical professional.
early
Fantasy
2231st
2/26/2020 6:40pm
Just dealt with ARDS this morning. Pt in bad shape, but has some comorbids.... positive for influenza A +. 4 admissions has flu. 1 is near...
Just dealt with ARDS this morning. Pt in bad shape, but has some comorbids.... positive for influenza A +. 4 admissions has flu. 1 is near death. No corona virus. My stats show 25%. But that’s the thing I can cherry pick my stats. When the real issue is here.....it’s a virus. Cover your mouth. Wash your hands. Treatment is supportive care. Healthy individuals will be ok, Comorbid folks will take hard hits and potentially die. APL Even at your 2% Covid-19 figure thats 98% survival. of those 2% how many have chronic illness / comorbidities ?

This virus is just getting drummed up out of control. I’d take a humanitarian mission to wuhan to treat it if the army paid for it. It’s not that big of a deal.
Like I posted in the moto-related SX coronavirus thread. I'm not worried about myself, I'm worried about my very old mother and very young children. I just visited the local respiratory ICU everyday for 2 weeks. There's about 4 dozen beds for a county of 250k. This whole thing may be no big deal or bad news. What we do know is that China made it a very big deal so far which is not reassuring.
Red Crawford
2/26/2020 7:03pm
I have nothing to add to the virus discussion. I'm more focused on thinking it may be time for an intervention with Brother Jeffro----holy shit those shoes look like Crocs 2.0! 😆🤣

The Shop

jeffro503
2/26/2020 9:47pm
Ok guys , look.......I wasn't trying to go off the deep end here with being paranoid. What I was trying to do is , just be careful receiving anything from China at the moment. I'm not so much worried about myself , but spreading something to other people , that their health may not be that good. Getting something like a metal object , or electrical device , or something like that , I think may be different compared to a set of leather shoes. Maybe this shit lasts longer on something, like leather , then it would on a crowbar or something. I think that if you don't take precautions at a time like this , you are foolish as hell. ( my opinion ).

@Georgie.........brother you know I dig you , and I totally 100% respect your opinions on this whole thing. You're a nurse , and know literally 1 billion times more than me , but since I've been following this , it has done nothing but grow and grow world wide. The USA seems to be defending against it pretty well , but there is one thing you are not saying.......and that this virus is supposed to be 23 x more deadly then the actual flu. Weather that's true or not..........wouldn't it be wise to at least be careful? My opinion......I think this thing is going to get a lot worse than you think it is.
kongols
2/27/2020 12:59am
jeffro503 wrote:
Ok guys , look.......I wasn't trying to go off the deep end here with being paranoid. What I was trying to do is , just be...
Ok guys , look.......I wasn't trying to go off the deep end here with being paranoid. What I was trying to do is , just be careful receiving anything from China at the moment. I'm not so much worried about myself , but spreading something to other people , that their health may not be that good. Getting something like a metal object , or electrical device , or something like that , I think may be different compared to a set of leather shoes. Maybe this shit lasts longer on something, like leather , then it would on a crowbar or something. I think that if you don't take precautions at a time like this , you are foolish as hell. ( my opinion ).

@Georgie.........brother you know I dig you , and I totally 100% respect your opinions on this whole thing. You're a nurse , and know literally 1 billion times more than me , but since I've been following this , it has done nothing but grow and grow world wide. The USA seems to be defending against it pretty well , but there is one thing you are not saying.......and that this virus is supposed to be 23 x more deadly then the actual flu. Weather that's true or not..........wouldn't it be wise to at least be careful? My opinion......I think this thing is going to get a lot worse than you think it is.
Where did you get that it`s 23x dedlier? It has 2% death rate same as flu. And for a most part it`s people over 65 with other health problems. 4 out of 5 has mild symptoms and only 1 of 5 need special care like lung ventilation and such.
reded
2/27/2020 4:20am
Coming from a nationwide warehousing company who receives hundreds of containers from China everyday, you don’t have to worry about individual packages. You’re looking at a good month from the time the product is loaded on a container, shipped across the ocean, received at port, shipped to warehouse, received into inventory, ordered out by yourself and then takes the UPS ride to your door. The virus has been dead for at least 3 weeks at that point. Worry more about handshakes, phones, doors, gas pumps and store counters. I have disinfectant wipes all over the warehouse for my employees to use and I also carry a pack of them in my pickup for after gas station or store visits.
APLMAN99
2/27/2020 5:29am
jeffro503 wrote:
Ok guys , look.......I wasn't trying to go off the deep end here with being paranoid. What I was trying to do is , just be...

kongols wrote:
Where did you get that it`s 23x dedlier? It has 2% death rate same as flu. And for a most part it`s people over 65 with...
Where did you get that it`s 23x dedlier? It has 2% death rate same as flu. And for a most part it`s people over 65 with other health problems. 4 out of 5 has mild symptoms and only 1 of 5 need special care like lung ventilation and such.
The flu doesn’t have a 2% death rate. It’s approximately 0.1%.

And while it’s true that anything like this hits those with other issues harder, that doesn’t make the importance of limiting the spread of it any less serious.
2/27/2020 5:52am
jeffro503 wrote:

kongols wrote:
Where did you get that it`s 23x dedlier? It has 2% death rate same as flu. And for a most part it`s people over 65 with...
The ones that need airway management are developing pneumonia or some respiratory ailment. Their immune system takes a hit. And what do we do ? Admit them into a place with other sick individuals. So they acquire an infection. Best bet with flu is supportive care. Stay home. Vigilante hand washing. Stay away from being admitted into a hospital Until you can’t keep any food down/water etc. when you can’t manage your symptoms. your providers know that. Everyone varies.

Totally agree with you Jeffro be careful is important. But being careful simply starts with hand washing and covering your mouth. I don’t agree with This quarantine Of citizens. I’d rather educate the population without the media scaring the shit out of everyone. I read a story where they quarantined a Cruise ship. Turns out 14 days later more people had it. Yea because they corralled them all together and probably didn’t take 5 minutes to tell the people to wash their hands, cover their mouth and be vigilante. Where if the boat woulda let them off, passengers would of went home.

Education.
Self quarantine
Proper hygiene.

The elderly and immunocompromised will always be affected by any ailment. It’s just how it is.
jeffro503
2/27/2020 8:06am
The ones that need airway management are developing pneumonia or some respiratory ailment. Their immune system takes a hit. And what do we do ? Admit...
The ones that need airway management are developing pneumonia or some respiratory ailment. Their immune system takes a hit. And what do we do ? Admit them into a place with other sick individuals. So they acquire an infection. Best bet with flu is supportive care. Stay home. Vigilante hand washing. Stay away from being admitted into a hospital Until you can’t keep any food down/water etc. when you can’t manage your symptoms. your providers know that. Everyone varies.

Totally agree with you Jeffro be careful is important. But being careful simply starts with hand washing and covering your mouth. I don’t agree with This quarantine Of citizens. I’d rather educate the population without the media scaring the shit out of everyone. I read a story where they quarantined a Cruise ship. Turns out 14 days later more people had it. Yea because they corralled them all together and probably didn’t take 5 minutes to tell the people to wash their hands, cover their mouth and be vigilante. Where if the boat woulda let them off, passengers would of went home.

Education.
Self quarantine
Proper hygiene.

The elderly and immunocompromised will always be affected by any ailment. It’s just how it is.
Thanks Georgie for the explanation. Appreciate it.

@Redid........I mentioned earlier in the thread , that I had ordered stuff from China before , that got to my house a little under , to a little over 1 week. It's been a while since I made any orders through them , but was buying my RC batteries from overseas , and couldn't believe how fast they got to me. Maybe things have changed?
jeffro503
2/27/2020 8:12am
jeffro503 wrote:

kongols wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
The flu doesn’t have a 2% death rate. It’s approximately 0.1%. And while it’s true that anything like this hits those with other issues harder, that...
The flu doesn’t have a 2% death rate. It’s approximately 0.1%.

And while it’s true that anything like this hits those with other issues harder, that doesn’t make the importance of limiting the spread of it any less serious.
Andris ......look at the chart Void posted. Like 85,000 infected , and over 2810 deaths ( That is exactly 100 more then just last night ) I Think that's something like 3 - 3.5% death rate , where the common flu is like .1 - .2%. If anything , the 23% is a low number. Could very well be 30 x more deadly by that math.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
2/27/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 8:54am
I am no prepper but with so many hurricanes we have a nice collection of precautionary items.
A few years ago I did buy a set of 4 hi end gas masks and cartridges as well as solar/crank powered lights, radio, chargers and a water purifier kit. Probably never need them but the second you do they wont be available so hey why not. Its here stored for my kids, grandkids etc god forbid the need arises. I bought some of the recommended medical masks a few weeks ago and a giant box of the good disposables. It was hard to get them on Amazon. I would order and then get refunded the next day over and over. I order ungodly amount of goods from Amazon (probably paid for Mathes first Ridgeline) and never had that happen once let alone 10 times for the face masks.
I had the worst flu of my life 5 years in a row during December thru February right after Disney trips except this year I finally didnt get it. I never got the flu growing up that I remember but it kicked my ass the last 5 so I am a bit concerned because I feel at risk. I am not a paranoid person at all but in Lowes yesterday I was turning 180 if I saw the slightest sniffle on someone. It's not easy having fun!
Chance1216
2/27/2020 11:41am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 11:44am
Just watched a segment with DR. Oz. He said it lives on surfaces for nine days and, is twice as deadly as the Flu.
Also, stated that it survives better in cold conditions.
Barrett57
2/27/2020 1:08pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well , I thought both my pairs of shoes were in that bag , but only one set was shipped so far ( been like 4...
Well , I thought both my pairs of shoes were in that bag , but only one set was shipped so far ( been like 4 weeks now , since I orederd ). Anyways , these are the shoes I got and sprayed them down. Btw.....they look cool as hell once you check them out. Definitely a summer shoe. The other pair I ordered , are boots .

I wouldn't worry, even the Coronavirus wouldn't be caught dead in those 😂😉
jeffro503
2/27/2020 5:18pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well , I thought both my pairs of shoes were in that bag , but only one set was shipped so far ( been like 4...
Well , I thought both my pairs of shoes were in that bag , but only one set was shipped so far ( been like 4 weeks now , since I orederd ). Anyways , these are the shoes I got and sprayed them down. Btw.....they look cool as hell once you check them out. Definitely a summer shoe. The other pair I ordered , are boots .

Barrett57 wrote:
I wouldn't worry, even the Coronavirus wouldn't be caught dead in those 😂😉
Haha....you are probably correct!
kongols
2/27/2020 8:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2020 9:04pm
Soon we`ll se how contagious virus is. Iranian who lives in Estonia was traveling from Iran to Stambul then flew to Riga. In Riga he took a shuttle bus from airport and boarded bus to Tallinn. Upon arival to Tallinn he checked himself in to hospital. Local authorities here in Latvia know everyone who traveled with him on a plane, shuttle and bus.
2/28/2020 5:00am
Hey GP things are escalating here in Switzerland but I’ve been wondering the same things about death rates and flu. In 2017 in Jan & Feb combined, approx 2500 people died of the flu according to gov stats.

So my question is this. Tons of people commute into Switzerland from Lombardi every day to work (especially nurses in Ticino hospital). Currently the gov has banned all events where more than 1000 people gather. If stopping cross border contamination is their goal, wouldn’t closing the border make more sense? 67k people cross into Ticino every day. 120k people from France into my region..every day. Commuters come into close contact with locals.

Anyhow...i think it’s all overblown but i am focusing on eating healthy, basic hygiene etc. Thanks for the hospital tip!!!
Barrett57
2/28/2020 5:51am
Just seen that the first British person has died from it, caught it on that cruise ship that was quarantined. No information on his age or condition of his health yet though.
kongols
2/28/2020 6:17am
Barrett57 wrote:
Just seen that the first British person has died from it, caught it on that cruise ship that was quarantined. No information on his age or...
Just seen that the first British person has died from it, caught it on that cruise ship that was quarantined. No information on his age or condition of his health yet though.
If it`s the same person, then it`s a woman in her 70`s.
Barrett57
2/28/2020 6:35am
kongols wrote:
If it`s the same person, then it`s a woman in her 70`s.
The BBC is reporting that its a man, not out the realms of possibility that 2 have died?
2/28/2020 7:30am
Just heard 7 billion allocated for this virus. Majority is to go towards finding a vaccine. In my opinion that’s stupid. Flu vaccines don’t exactly work as well as they’re pushed. Whose got the stats on effectiveness of flu vaccines?
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
2/28/2020 7:40am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 7:41am
Just heard 7 billion allocated for this virus. Majority is to go towards finding a vaccine. In my opinion that’s stupid. Flu vaccines don’t exactly work...
Just heard 7 billion allocated for this virus. Majority is to go towards finding a vaccine. In my opinion that’s stupid. Flu vaccines don’t exactly work as well as they’re pushed. Whose got the stats on effectiveness of flu vaccines?
Not sure on stats but my wife and three children all got the flu shot this season. All of them got the flu. I didn’t (with no shot). Things that make you go hmmmm..
2/28/2020 8:04am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 8:06am
My fiancé and I refuse to get the flu shot. My dad got the flu shot last year, and got very sick for a week just a few days after the shot. Vertigo, puking, temperature, all the good stuff. Weird coincidence or related to the shot? Idk, but I've heard of this happening to other people. He said he won't be doing that again.
591MX
2/28/2020 8:30am
I’ll preface this with: This is just a personal opinion being stated. Flu shots are a joke. I don’t get them and I can’t remember the last time I got the flu. I’ve worked in healthcare dealing with about 400 physicians within my territory for the last 11 years and some of the good ones are completely against them. I know without the source this will be deamed useless but I actually had a primary care physician show me a clinical study that illustrated the likelihood of getting the flu only increases substantially with every flu shot you get. Take your vitamins and occasionally lick the bottom of your shoe to keep your immune system on its toes.
2/28/2020 8:46am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 9:01am
Just heard 7 billion allocated for this virus. Majority is to go towards finding a vaccine. In my opinion that’s stupid. Flu vaccines don’t exactly work...
But it's a good investment if they are going to be pushing a vaccine for Corona on people every year. I never get the flu shot and I'm surrounded by the flu virus all day at work. I don't get it because I wear a mask and I wash my hands. Its not rocket surgery.

*Knocks on wood
APLMAN99
2/28/2020 9:00am
I don't know if I have gotten the flu or not the last several years. I've definitely gotten sick some years, but never actually 'diagnosed' with the flu.

We are almost militant with our flu shots in our family. My wife has heart issues and she and my oldest daughter are Type 1 diabetics. The flu is much more serious for them than it would be for me. We go through bottles of Purel like crazy, use hand wipes, etc. But even with those precautions, we sometimes get sick.

The crazy part to me is a medical professional suggesting that COVID-19 isn't something to worry about because only those with compromised immune systems or with other conditions are likely to die. Nearly every one of us has a loved one who fits into that category. If the mortality rate is 2.3% overall, then it is MUCH higher in those groups.

Personally, I have a 76yo father who is mostly healthy, but nowhere near as hale as he was 30 years ago. I have a wife and daughter with Type 1 Diabetes. My wife has a heart issue/valve replacement. I have many aged family members that I care about that I would hate to have infected and play the mortality lottery any more than is already occurring.

I'm not overly worried about myself dying if I were to be infected (although I don't want to be infected at all!) but more what would occur if I were to be infected and pass it along to a family member. The seasonal flu is bad enough, but this is a lot worse if infected.

Whatever needs to be done to keep the infection rates down is very important. If it were to spread as easily and quickly as the flu, we'd be phucked.
2/28/2020 5:32pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2020 4:29pm
Dirtydeeds wrote:
Not sure on stats but my wife and three children all got the flu shot this season. All of them got the flu. I didn’t (with...
Not sure on stats but my wife and three children all got the flu shot this season. All of them got the flu. I didn’t (with no shot). Things that make you go hmmmm..
(Ya dont say!!!!!!! Really?!?! Wink )

APL you’re seriously a troll that has a click hall pass here on vital. It’s really not worth my time to argue with you. I know what I’ve been doing for 10+ years. I don’t just crap out statistics that have no real value. Common sense let’s you know stats can be skewed anyway they want to be. Every paper written about corona has a different “stat”. Keep doing what you do with your jabs though.

Have a nice day sir. Also, I’m not recommending anything for anyone. all I’m saying is this coronavirus is getting blown out of proportion. It’s a damn virus. Good lord. Get off it.

Post a reply to: Ok , so I just received a package from China.

The Latest