Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

JustMX
Edited Date/Time 6/19/2020 10:55pm

Just seemed really relative to so many situations occurring in the last 48 hours.....

Have a nice day, and be cautious when playing games
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/15/2020 10:08am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
???
Maybe it's related to the latest police shooting that is all over the news today?
I don't watch the news, so I googled it. I personally don't think he deserved to get shot. That said, reaching for the officer's taser was pretty stupid.

You just know it's not going to end well for you.

The Shop

Sierra Ranger
6/15/2020 11:40am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 12:06pm
My opinion is that the function and way police officers interact with the public needs a complete national overhaul.
Sure, struggling for a cop's Tazer is stupid (and the guy was on drugs). But should he be executed in the street, running away, unarmed- Hell No!
JustMX
6/15/2020 12:18pm
My opinion is that the function and way police officers interact with the public needs a complete national overhaul. Sure, struggling for a cop's Tazer is...
My opinion is that the function and way police officers interact with the public needs a complete national overhaul.
Sure, struggling for a cop's Tazer is stupid (and the guy was on drugs). But should he be executed in the street, running away, unarmed- Hell No!
Unarmed?

He had a cop's taser, and turned and pointed it at a,pursuing officer in a dimly lit parking lot after fighting off several cops trying to take him into custody.

Now, say your the cop and you see an arm come up with something in it. Do you wait to see if it is a gun?

Do you possibly get tased, and while incapacitated, he takes your weapon?

The guy failed a field sobriety test after falling asleep in the drive through lane and then continued to make poor decisions that resulted in an unfortunate outcome.

It happens

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/law-enforcement/2019/12/28/Elizabethto…

Now please tell me which of these situations were handled poorly, and by whom?

Sierra Ranger
6/15/2020 1:05pm
My opinion is that the function and way police officers interact with the public needs a complete national overhaul. Sure, struggling for a cop's Tazer is...
JustMX wrote:
Unarmed? He had a cop's taser, and turned and pointed it at a,pursuing officer in a dimly lit parking lot after fighting off several cops trying...
Unarmed?

He had a cop's taser, and turned and pointed it at a,pursuing officer in a dimly lit parking lot after fighting off several cops trying to take him into custody.

Now, say your the cop and you see an arm come up with something in it. Do you wait to see if it is a gun?

The guy failed a field sobriety test after falling asleep in the drive through lane and then continued to make poor decisions that resulted in an unfortunate outcome.

It happens

I actually didn't realize he still had the Tazer, I thought he dropped it. My mistake. It's borderline- IDK. I hesitate to judge LEOs in these situations, but there is no doubt in my mind that we need an overhaul of the way police handle these interactions.
ktmfun219
Fantasy
554th
6/15/2020 1:16pm
In general I keep my distance from social input on this site yet want to merely add some local facts on a broad base and neutral information/ comment about the Atlanta GA USA recent media of BLM/Crime/Protests.

Some of these local politician facts/comments confuse me as to the dissatisfaction of BLM protestors and being heard by Atlanta GA USA.

ATL current political positions:

ATL Black Mayors(2) - 2010-current- 10 years and running

Current ATL city council members-
Black members- 9 each
White members-5 each
Hispanic members-1 each

I would think the BLM has an advantage in their influence over the city policies in the last decade.

I am very saddened of this recent incident yet feel 10 years to help resolve these city matters/conflicts is within their position responsibilities if the politicians really cared of BLM. Violence and property torchings were not required.

I am confused of common ground progress and trust all people will come together for a common resolution to end this USA conflict. City of ATL has sat on their ass too long IF they choose to man up.
6/15/2020 1:48pm
Play stupid games? You Talking about stealing a taser ?
Have you watched the videos? This ain't no laser gate. It looked to me like he fired the taser back at them shortly before they took him down. I saw a flash.

This can all be confirmed by a quick Google too.

AZ35
Fantasy
550th
6/15/2020 2:03pm
Horrible for anyone to be killed.

Hindsight is easy from your couch, but put yourself in the cops shoes. The guy was passed out drunk, but was cooperative and everything was calm.

Until they tried to cuff him, then he attacked, punched, wrestled with 2 officers. Grabbed a taser off 1 cops belt. But in the split second the guy starts running, how does the other cop know what he just took? Maybe he grabbed his gun?
Adrenaline is running high because you were just attacked, now the guy starts running and as you chase him (at night) he turns and points something at you.

We can all say we would have reacted differently, but when someone who just attacked you turns and points something at you most people would have reacted in self defense. No one wants to die for doing their job.

Of course everyone would have wanted a non fatal outcome, but to say this guy was a victim of police abuse is just not accurate. Self responsibility is something people seem to not recognize anymore, everything that happens to them is someone else's fault.
APLMAN99
6/15/2020 4:03pm
This incident is nothing remotely like the George Floyd case.

These officers appeared to be handling everything professionally and correctly, right up until he wrestled with them and took a weapon. At that point, the officer didn't really have a choice. If the officer were to have gotten tazed, there would have been too high of a chance of him getting his firearm taken from him as well.

I am a believer that there is bias in our legal and justice systems, but this case wasn't a demonstration of that. I feel for all involved, but this officer did what he had to do. Asking him to hold his fire against someone pointing a weapon at him is just a bit too naïve and idealistic.

The worst part about this is how no one is viewing it on the merits of this individual event because of the lack of acknowledgement for so many other events (my opinion). The bodycam video definitely appears that these officers were doing everything right and treating this man with respect and dignity during the entire process. I truly believe that if he didn't take the tazer and point it back towards the officer, he would not have been shot by either of them.
6/15/2020 5:38pm
I just had a little bit of an epiphany, that taser just has one shot and you have to reload before firing it again. That's bad news for the cop. I'm sure the adrenaline was rushing though and he probably didn't realize it
agn5009
6/15/2020 5:58pm
I just had a little bit of an epiphany, that taser just has one shot and you have to reload before firing it again. That's bad...
I just had a little bit of an epiphany, that taser just has one shot and you have to reload before firing it again. That's bad news for the cop. I'm sure the adrenaline was rushing though and he probably didn't realize it
The extra cartridge is right on the bottom of the taser. It takes about 2 seconds to put the other one in.
agn5009
6/15/2020 6:08pm
JustMX wrote:
Unarmed? He had a cop's taser, and turned and pointed it at a,pursuing officer in a dimly lit parking lot after fighting off several cops trying...
Unarmed?

It happens

I actually didn't realize he still had the Tazer, I thought he dropped it. My mistake. It's borderline- IDK. I hesitate to judge LEOs in these...
I actually didn't realize he still had the Tazer, I thought he dropped it. My mistake. It's borderline- IDK. I hesitate to judge LEOs in these situations, but there is no doubt in my mind that we need an overhaul of the way police handle these interactions.
It's not borderline. These cops will sue atlanta for unlawful termination and win a ton of money.

It's funny you place blame on the police in any capacity here. They did everything absolutely right and he chose to assault them, steal a taser and fire the taser at an officer. Theres a lot of stuff that needs changed and we need to weed out the bad police but when you use 100% justifiable shootings as examples you'll start to lose support from the vast majority of people. If you go after a cop (or anyone for that matter) with a taser, knife, gun, bat, lead pipe, crow bar etc etc etc you're more than likely going to get shot. This will absolutely never change in any way, shape or form. If you wanna see the good police quit and the bad police stay, then take away their rights to protect themselves or others. You'll have anyone with a brain go into another profession and a bunch of buffoons running around enforcing the laws.
TXDirt
6/15/2020 6:22pm
I suspect the guy thought he had wrestled a gun away. And then turned to shoot the cop behind him. We will never know of course. Doubtful he knew he had only a taser.

There is little doubt that this guy would have killed a cop or anyone else in his way.

The cops did what needed to be done. You wrestle with police and take a weapon like a taser and point to shoot a cop then expect to be brought down with lethal force.

This is not rocket science folks. Play stupid games win stupid prizes is pretty accurate here.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/15/2020 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 6:38pm
Aren't tasers considered "non-lethal" by police departments? They use them every single day, probably hundreds of times a day across the country on people they want to take into custody who may or may not be resisting, so...

How can the officers in question say their life was in danger/threatened when one, the dude was running away from them when he fired off the taser, and two, LEO's have historically testified in abuse of power cases that they are 100% non-lethal...

These guys are pretty much fucked legally. And yes, I ran this by some family who would know.
agn5009
6/15/2020 7:04pm
avidchimp wrote:
Aren't tasers considered "non-lethal" by police departments? They use them every single day, probably hundreds of times a day across the country on people they want...
Aren't tasers considered "non-lethal" by police departments? They use them every single day, probably hundreds of times a day across the country on people they want to take into custody who may or may not be resisting, so...

How can the officers in question say their life was in danger/threatened when one, the dude was running away from them when he fired off the taser, and two, LEO's have historically testified in abuse of power cases that they are 100% non-lethal...

These guys are pretty much fucked legally. And yes, I ran this by some family who would know.
Your family doesnt know as much as you think they do.
APLMAN99
6/15/2020 7:07pm
avidchimp wrote:
Aren't tasers considered "non-lethal" by police departments? They use them every single day, probably hundreds of times a day across the country on people they want...

Ideally they are less than lethal. But if it works correctly, the recipient is incapacitated. And that potentially incapacitated officer has a much more lethal firearm that they can not allow to be used against them.

I’m one of the first to call out abuse of power by LEOs who cross those lines. To me, this is not one of those times.

If only Brooks had not armed himself with the taser, and attempted to fire at the officer, I truly believe he’d be home from the drunk tank by now.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/15/2020 7:16pm
avidchimp wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
My future son in law who is a Narco Detective with Ventura County, and my cousins who are LAPD and LASD respectively agree this looks very bad for the officers involved don't know what they are talking about? Ok..

I'm not trying to say those guys weren't in a heat of the moment situation, but they knew who he was, had his car, and the officer who had his taser taken knew he only had the taser because he had his sidearm in his hand. That and there was an additional covering officer to handle the situation with lethal force if the perp turned around and started running back towards the officer to try and grab said firearm.

At worst they let the guy run away and pick him up at a later time.
agn5009
6/15/2020 7:26pm
avidchimp wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
My future son in law who is a Narco Detective with Ventura County, and my cousins who are LAPD and LASD respectively agree this looks very...
My future son in law who is a Narco Detective with Ventura County, and my cousins who are LAPD and LASD respectively agree this looks very bad for the officers involved don't know what they are talking about? Ok..

I'm not trying to say those guys weren't in a heat of the moment situation, but they knew who he was, had his car, and the officer who had his taser taken knew he only had the taser because he had his sidearm in his hand. That and there was an additional covering officer to handle the situation with lethal force if the perp turned around and started running back towards the officer to try and grab said firearm.

Everyone can have their own opinion. Your family included. However it doesnt mean their opinion is correct and it certainly doesnt mean these officers will be charged criminally. If they are, it's nothing but a political grab and they will be found not guilty. They will both use Atlanta and will both win a ton of money. Watch and see.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/15/2020 7:26pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Ideally they are less than lethal. But if it works correctly, the recipient is incapacitated. And that potentially incapacitated officer has a much more lethal firearm...
Ideally they are less than lethal. But if it works correctly, the recipient is incapacitated. And that potentially incapacitated officer has a much more lethal firearm that they can not allow to be used against them.

I’m one of the first to call out abuse of power by LEOs who cross those lines. To me, this is not one of those times.

If only Brooks had not armed himself with the taser, and attempted to fire at the officer, I truly believe he’d be home from the drunk tank by now.
I'm not saying the dude made some seriously dumb and obviously life altering decisions, but you can't argue in a court of law that a method of restraint (taser) is non-lethal and then turn around and say your life is in danger because a guy has a taser.

Brooks was running away with zero attempt to stop and turn around when he discharged the taser and was then shot IN THE BACK. I shoot a dude robbing my house in the back who actually has a gun and he dies, I will be the one arrested and sued because he was trying to escape and flee the scene, therefore no longer presenting a clear and present danger.

Oh yeah there is this, my Uncle is a well respected criminal defense attorney here in LA who has defended LEO's in these exact kinds of cases. Getting shot in the back while fleeing is always a losing proposition for the shooter, especially when there was no firearm in the perps hand.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/15/2020 7:32pm
agn5009 wrote:
Everyone can have their own opinion. Your family included. However it doesnt mean their opinion is correct and it certainly doesnt mean these officers will be...
Everyone can have their own opinion. Your family included. However it doesnt mean their opinion is correct and it certainly doesnt mean these officers will be charged criminally. If they are, it's nothing but a political grab and they will be found not guilty. They will both use Atlanta and will both win a ton of money. Watch and see.
I agree for the most part that it will be hashed out in court. Not saying they were wrong or right in doing what they did, but it certainly doesn't look good when it's all on video.

2020 sucks donkey dick.
TXDirt
6/15/2020 7:32pm
avidchimp wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
avidchimp wrote:
My future son in law who is a Narco Detective with Ventura County, and my cousins who are LAPD and LASD respectively agree this looks very...

So the very same guy who just wrestled with the cop and stole the cops taser, you want the cops to just let him run away....

Is there any personal responsibility anymore? How about HE doesn’t drive DUI. How about HE doesn’t wrestle with cop. How about HE doesn’t take cops taser. How about HE doesn’t point taser at cop.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of guy you just want to let run away.

Come on man.....

Good riddance to this scumbag. He got exactly what he deserved.

Lesson: don’t drive dui, and if you do, don’t wrestle with cop, and if you do, don’t steal his taser, and if you do don’t turn and point taser at cop, and if you do, boom your dead.

Seems pretty simple.

His choices resulted in his death. And only his choices.

He could of just gone to the drunk tank like most everyone else who gets pulled over for DUI.

His choices resulted in his death.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/15/2020 7:44pm
TXDirt wrote:
So the very same guy who just wrestled with the cop and stole the cops taser, you want the cops to just let him run away...
So the very same guy who just wrestled with the cop and stole the cops taser, you want the cops to just let him run away....

Is there any personal responsibility anymore? How about HE doesn’t drive DUI. How about HE doesn’t wrestle with cop. How about HE doesn’t take cops taser. How about HE doesn’t point taser at cop.

Come on man.....

Lesson: don’t drive dui, and if you do, don’t wrestle with cop, and if you do, don’t steal his taser, and if you do don’t turn and point taser at cop, and if you do, boom your dead.

Seems pretty simple.

He could of just gone to the drunk tank like most everyone else who gets pulled over for DUI.

I'm not arguing the merits or lack thereof of this dudes life. He was passed out behind the wheel of his non-running car partially blocking a drive-thu. He wasn't armed, and asked to just walk a half mile or whatever it was home. He could have been cited and ordered to appear and then let him walk home, which is basically what he was asking for and a courtesy most people would get.

For whatever reason shit went sideways when the officers insisted on arresting him, and here we are. I'm strictly pointing out the facts of the situation which will be used against the dept/officers in a court of law by a competent attorney.

Do I think the guy was an asshole? Yes. Could it have been handled differently? Yes.
TXDirt
6/15/2020 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2020 7:58pm
TXDirt wrote:
So the very same guy who just wrestled with the cop and stole the cops taser, you want the cops to just let him run away...

Come on man.....

Seems pretty simple.

avidchimp wrote:
I'm not arguing the merits or lack thereof of this dudes life. He was passed out behind the wheel of his non-running car partially blocking a...
I'm not arguing the merits or lack thereof of this dudes life. He was passed out behind the wheel of his non-running car partially blocking a drive-thu. He wasn't armed, and asked to just walk a half mile or whatever it was home. He could have been cited and ordered to appear and then let him walk home, which is basically what he was asking for and a courtesy most people would get.

For whatever reason shit went sideways when the officers insisted on arresting him, and here we are. I'm strictly pointing out the facts of the situation which will be used against the dept/officers in a court of law by a competent attorney.

Do I think the guy was an asshole? Yes. Could it have been handled differently? Yes.
So driving around drunk in a 3,000 pound vehicle isn’t “armed”.

Go it.

Yeah they totally should have just let this dude go home. Yup. Whistling
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/15/2020 8:28pm
TXDirt wrote:
So driving around drunk in a 3,000 pound vehicle isn’t “armed”.

Go it.

Yeah they totally should have just let this dude go home. Yup. Whistling
I'm not arguing that what he did wasn't wrong and exceptionally stupid, just mentioning the facts of the situation once the Officers rolled up on scene.

I guess this is one discussion I'll just step out of. Carry on fellas.
reded
6/15/2020 9:18pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Ideally they are less than lethal. But if it works correctly, the recipient is incapacitated. And that potentially incapacitated officer has a much more lethal firearm...

avidchimp wrote:
I'm not saying the dude made some seriously dumb and obviously life altering decisions, but you can't argue in a court of law that a method...
I'm not saying the dude made some seriously dumb and obviously life altering decisions, but you can't argue in a court of law that a method of restraint (taser) is non-lethal and then turn around and say your life is in danger because a guy has a taser.

Brooks was running away with zero attempt to stop and turn around when he discharged the taser and was then shot IN THE BACK. I shoot a dude robbing my house in the back who actually has a gun and he dies, I will be the one arrested and sued because he was trying to escape and flee the scene, therefore no longer presenting a clear and present danger.

Oh yeah there is this, my Uncle is a well respected criminal defense attorney here in LA who has defended LEO's in these exact kinds of cases. Getting shot in the back while fleeing is always a losing proposition for the shooter, especially when there was no firearm in the perps hand.
If someone is robbing your house in the middle of the night with a weapon, are you gonna care if he’s facing you when you decide to save your own life and pull the trigger? I won’t.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/15/2020 9:33pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
I'm not saying the dude made some seriously dumb and obviously life altering decisions, but you can't argue in a court of law that a method...

reded wrote:
If someone is robbing your house in the middle of the night with a weapon, are you gonna care if he’s facing you when you decide...
If someone is robbing your house in the middle of the night with a weapon, are you gonna care if he’s facing you when you decide to save your own life and pull the trigger? I won’t.
Not the same situation at all.
CM_84
6/16/2020 3:34am
agn5009 wrote:
Everyone can have their own opinion. Your family included. However it doesnt mean their opinion is correct and it certainly doesnt mean these officers will be...
"Everyone can have their opinion, but it doesnt mean it is correct because mine is correct....watch and see" haha

I havent read much about this particular case. Seems like the guy made some pretty big mistakes, and deserved a severe reaction, but probably didn't need to be shot in the back.

Post a reply to: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

The Latest