Sand in the skatepark?

dmc22tx
Edited Date/Time 4/21/2020 8:05am
This seems a bit drastic. How much will it cost to remove the sand once things return to 'normal'?
I'm not nor have I ever been a skater but doesn't the longer term social benefit of the skate park outweigh the near term health crisis?

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/california-city-fills-skatepark-with-37-tons-of-sand-after-people-ignore-no-trespassing-signs/

|
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/19/2020 7:47am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2020 7:49am
I could not believe this when I heard about it. The ignorance displayed by local authorities is unbelievable. And I’m a old man who never used a skateboard after the days of 2 by 4’s and roller skate wheels.
KMC440
4/19/2020 7:57am
Government knows best. Sing the praises !

Lawsuits ... as far as the eye can see ... heading to a circuit court near you.

... probably not over this but just wait... the people will be heard.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/19/2020 8:39am
KennyT wrote:
I could not believe this when I heard about it. The ignorance displayed by local authorities is unbelievable. And I’m a old man who never used...
I could not believe this when I heard about it. The ignorance displayed by local authorities is unbelievable. And I’m a old man who never used a skateboard after the days of 2 by 4’s and roller skate wheels.
Yeah, we went out for a walk on the Venice boardwalk not too long before this happened, and there were a good 100 people skating there. That was happening everyday, all day.

There was zero distancing there. I get the MX track being more of an open space thing, and I was cool with how LACR and a couple others were handling it, but the skatepark was not even close to being compliant.

The Shop

borg
4/19/2020 8:44am
These are just minor inklings of what would happen if you give these idiots too much power. This goes beyond unnecessary, it's stupid.
JM485
4/19/2020 9:09am
I've been ranting about this on other platforms, what they did is so dangerous and such an overstep of their bounds they should be in jail. I don't think people understand how dangerous that's going to be when they try to open it back up, if you hit a slightly sandy spot on smooth concrete with a bmx bike or skateboard when you don't expect it you're going to go down HARD. Whatever fuckface ordered that needs to be held personally responsible when someone gets hurt.

They tried to kick us out of our local park a couple days ago to. Want to know how many people were there? Maybe 10! 10 fucking people yet some vigilante bitch decided to call the cops on us and have us kicked out. We pretty much just waited 20min until they left and went back in, but FFS they have absolutely no grounds to be doing this. I cant even imagine how the cops felt having their time wasted like that, what a joke.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
4/19/2020 9:16am Edited Date/Time 4/19/2020 9:22am
dmc22tx wrote:
This seems a bit drastic. How much will it cost to remove the sand once things return to 'normal'? I'm not nor have I ever been...
This seems a bit drastic. How much will it cost to remove the sand once things return to 'normal'?
I'm not nor have I ever been a skater but doesn't the longer term social benefit of the skate park outweigh the near term health crisis?

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/california-city-fills-skatepark-with-37-tons-of-sand-after-people-ignore-no-trespassing-signs/

People simply don't take Covid19 serious enough...I have my doubts about how serious this Virus is and if I'm wrong and we see another outbreak once the lockdown is over then what....there will be Anarchy, supply shortages to mention a few and already we
See astronomical costs for food relief, medical supplies and miscellaneous products.

There are people in dire stress... pretty much destitute...yet there are those fortunate enough to go riding, cycling, stating....have baraques and beers - I have nothing against them but we need to see the bigger picture.

Who knows, most of us could lose everything a ways down the road.

Filling a skate park with sand to stop some idiots from being irresponsible is chicken feed in the grander scheme of things. They either don't give a fuck or are too stupid to grasp the seriousness of the sistuation.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
4/19/2020 9:23am
JM485 wrote:
I've been ranting about this on other platforms, what they did is so dangerous and such an overstep of their bounds they should be in jail...
I've been ranting about this on other platforms, what they did is so dangerous and such an overstep of their bounds they should be in jail. I don't think people understand how dangerous that's going to be when they try to open it back up, if you hit a slightly sandy spot on smooth concrete with a bmx bike or skateboard when you don't expect it you're going to go down HARD. Whatever fuckface ordered that needs to be held personally responsible when someone gets hurt.

They tried to kick us out of our local park a couple days ago to. Want to know how many people were there? Maybe 10! 10 fucking people yet some vigilante bitch decided to call the cops on us and have us kicked out. We pretty much just waited 20min until they left and went back in, but FFS they have absolutely no grounds to be doing this. I cant even imagine how the cops felt having their time wasted like that, what a joke.
Well you obviously have never been to the Venice Skatepark. It's literally in the sand on the beach. There is always sand in some of the bowls. Skaters/BMX'ers bring electric blowers to clean it out everyday. Sometimes multiple times a day depending on how windy it is.
Ebs
4/19/2020 12:17pm

Where is the video of that dude in CA being arrested for paddleboarding in the ocean by himself. Talk about a powertrip some of your leaders are having out there.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
4/19/2020 1:08pm
KennyT wrote:
I could not believe this when I heard about it. The ignorance displayed by local authorities is unbelievable. And I’m a old man who never used...
avidchimp wrote:
Yeah, we went out for a walk on the Venice boardwalk not too long before this happened, and there were a good 100 people skating there...
Yeah, we went out for a walk on the Venice boardwalk not too long before this happened, and there were a good 100 people skating there. That was happening everyday, all day.

There was zero distancing there. I get the MX track being more of an open space thing, and I was cool with how LACR and a couple others were handling it, but the skatepark was not even close to being compliant.
I don’t have a problem with them trying to control the non compliance, it’s the method they used. My god I can just see these numbnuts sitting around a table for 8 hours and they come up with sand as the solution
agn5009
4/19/2020 2:08pm
JM485 wrote:
I've been ranting about this on other platforms, what they did is so dangerous and such an overstep of their bounds they should be in jail...

I can tell you it sucks kicking people out of parks and stuff. Most cops absolutely dread having to do it. I agree with you there and I wish the parks weren't closed.

Now, heres where you couldn't be more wrong. They absolutely do have the authority to kick you out of parks. I assume you're talking about a public park so YOU don't own the park. The park is most likely owned and funded by the municipality. What that means is THEY OWN THE PARK. THEY get to decide who is permitted to be inside the park, not YOU. If the city manager, mayor or council closes the park then YOU must follow the rules. If you don't then you're trespassing. It's really that simple. It blows my mind how many people dont understand this and think they are allowed to do whatever they want. If you have a friend over YOUR HOUSE then they refuse to leave do you think they should have the right to remain there? That's basically what you're doing by assuming you're allowed to be wherever you want whenever. If you want to be the boss of a park then you should build one and keep it open to the public.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, you're one of the better posters here and never talk smack or anything. But your way of thinking is very delusional. Whoever owns the park has the authority to decide when it's open or closed. If you owned a motocross track and decided to close it I can only imagine you would get pretty upset if random people started coming in to ride whenever they wanted.

A public park is not owned by the public. The public is permitted to use a park at their leisure if the rules are followed. Most parks close at 9pm around here. If you're there after you'll most likely be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave or come back after the warning theres a good chance you'll be arrested for trespassing. You dont get to do what you want and make the rules on property not owned by you.
newmann
4/19/2020 4:31pm
JM485 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
I can tell you it sucks kicking people out of parks and stuff. Most cops absolutely dread having to do it. I agree with you there...
I can tell you it sucks kicking people out of parks and stuff. Most cops absolutely dread having to do it. I agree with you there and I wish the parks weren't closed.

Now, heres where you couldn't be more wrong. They absolutely do have the authority to kick you out of parks. I assume you're talking about a public park so YOU don't own the park. The park is most likely owned and funded by the municipality. What that means is THEY OWN THE PARK. THEY get to decide who is permitted to be inside the park, not YOU. If the city manager, mayor or council closes the park then YOU must follow the rules. If you don't then you're trespassing. It's really that simple. It blows my mind how many people dont understand this and think they are allowed to do whatever they want. If you have a friend over YOUR HOUSE then they refuse to leave do you think they should have the right to remain there? That's basically what you're doing by assuming you're allowed to be wherever you want whenever. If you want to be the boss of a park then you should build one and keep it open to the public.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, you're one of the better posters here and never talk smack or anything. But your way of thinking is very delusional. Whoever owns the park has the authority to decide when it's open or closed. If you owned a motocross track and decided to close it I can only imagine you would get pretty upset if random people started coming in to ride whenever they wanted.

A public park is not owned by the public. The public is permitted to use a park at their leisure if the rules are followed. Most parks close at 9pm around here. If you're there after you'll most likely be asked to leave. If you refuse to leave or come back after the warning theres a good chance you'll be arrested for trespassing. You dont get to do what you want and make the rules on property not owned by you.
Yet the people who are shutting the skatepark down are basically the same people who choose to let antifa and blm have the room to destroy things. Funny times we live in.
just James
4/19/2020 4:41pm
Gotta love the mindset of people who say the public has no right to use the stuff that was paid for with tax money that came from who? The public.
As if that stuff is actually owned by the officials.
agn5009
4/19/2020 4:42pm
JM485 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
I can tell you it sucks kicking people out of parks and stuff. Most cops absolutely dread having to do it. I agree with you there...

newmann wrote:
Yet the people who are shutting the skatepark down are basically the same people who choose to let antifa and blm have the room to destroy...
Yet the people who are shutting the skatepark down are basically the same people who choose to let antifa and blm have the room to destroy things. Funny times we live in.
I agree. I even said I dont agree with it, but that's the reality. If antifa or BLM are protesting on private property and the property owner doesnt want them there then they have to leave. Public roadways are apparently different. Technically if it's a locally owned road (not a state highway) then they should have to leave if the municipality says so. However there ain't much of a chance they'd have the balls to shut it down.
agn5009
4/19/2020 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2020 4:49pm
just James wrote:
Gotta love the mindset of people who say the public has no right to use the stuff that was paid for with tax money that came...
Gotta love the mindset of people who say the public has no right to use the stuff that was paid for with tax money that came from who? The public.
As if that stuff is actually owned by the officials.
The mindset of people thinking they own something they dont amazes me. Since you apparently think you own a park is it ok for you to go in and damage it? Or is it only certain rules you think are right that matters?
motoman617
4/19/2020 4:48pm
Ebs wrote:
Where is the video of that dude in CA being arrested for paddleboarding in the ocean by himself. Talk about a powertrip some of your leaders...

Where is the video of that dude in CA being arrested for paddleboarding in the ocean by himself. Talk about a powertrip some of your leaders are having out there.
I saw a story here on the news of the police chasing surfers out of the ocean. My god they run a higher risk of catching something going grocery shopping than out there surfing.
JustMX
4/19/2020 5:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2020 5:24pm
JM485 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

"A public park is not owned by the public"....

LMAO

Owned by the public...

Managed by bureaucrats
APLMAN99
4/19/2020 5:23pm
JustMX wrote:

LMAO

Owned by the public...

Managed by bureaucrats
I think I know what he meant, but it’s definitely worded incorrectly.

I think that he meant that it wasn’t owned by individuals.
agn5009
4/19/2020 5:42pm
JustMX wrote:

LMAO

Owned by the public...

Managed by bureaucrats
APLMAN99 wrote:
I think I know what he meant, but it’s definitely worded incorrectly.

I think that he meant that it wasn’t owned by individuals.
Thanks. That's what I meant.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2888th
4/19/2020 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/19/2020 8:32pm
Grab the pit bikes!!!!
JM485
4/19/2020 10:17pm
JM485 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

You're right, technically I don't own the place, but that wasn't what I meant (poor choice of wording on my part and I see how it was misunderstood). The point I was trying to make was that although the park is "closed" (aka there's a little sign out front and that's it), with that small of a number of people in there absolutely nobody was at risk of spreading anything, so to me they really don't have any grounds to be closing this public park from the public in the first place. It's also a great place to get some much needed exercise, and places you can do that are getting few and far between right now.

Here's where I stand on this, you can agree or disagree and that's fine, you guys are in a tough spot and I don't envy you having to do that job so please don't take this as a sign of disrespect. I like to ride my dirtbike, now they've taken that away. I like to go out to eat with my family when I can, they've taken that away. I also really like to ride my bmx bike and my skateboard, so if you take that away what do I really have left? I live alone, I work from home 80% of the time right now, and I see my family maybe once a week. My risk of spreading this shit is slim to none and at this point I've pretty much got nothing else to lose, so keeping parks open is well worth fighting for in my book.
Chance1216
4/19/2020 10:23pm
JM485 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
You're right, technically I don't own the place, but that wasn't what I meant (poor choice of wording on my part and I see how it...
You're right, technically I don't own the place, but that wasn't what I meant (poor choice of wording on my part and I see how it was misunderstood). The point I was trying to make was that although the park is "closed" (aka there's a little sign out front and that's it), with that small of a number of people in there absolutely nobody was at risk of spreading anything, so to me they really don't have any grounds to be closing this public park from the public in the first place. It's also a great place to get some much needed exercise, and places you can do that are getting few and far between right now.

Here's where I stand on this, you can agree or disagree and that's fine, you guys are in a tough spot and I don't envy you having to do that job so please don't take this as a sign of disrespect. I like to ride my dirtbike, now they've taken that away. I like to go out to eat with my family when I can, they've taken that away. I also really like to ride my bmx bike and my skateboard, so if you take that away what do I really have left? I live alone, I work from home 80% of the time right now, and I see my family maybe once a week. My risk of spreading this shit is slim to none and at this point I've pretty much got nothing else to lose, so keeping parks open is well worth fighting for in my book.
Be thankful your working. Some of us are not. Believe me, it could still be worse.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
4/20/2020 1:53am
Aaahh mixed emotions on this one. They tried closing it but the kids hopped the fence and skated anyway so that was their solution. Seems to me like they could have pulled one of the FIVE cops I saw blocking the stairs at T street or one of the 3 cars and 4 or 5 rangers/cops they have camped out at the top of the trail to Trestles.... There's been some funny knee jerk reactions over this regarding how much they spent and how they "damaged" the skate park Laughing , it's sand, just give the kids the A-OK and they'll have it cleaned out in a day for free.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
4/20/2020 2:27am
agn5009 wrote:

It's worth remembering the public owns the government. Note how many of our rights are about resisting/fighting the government.
agn5009
4/20/2020 5:45am
JM485 wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
You're right, technically I don't own the place, but that wasn't what I meant (poor choice of wording on my part and I see how it...

I agree with you man. They've taken away things we can do safely away from each other. I cant even go camping, which is one of the best ways to social distance. But I can go into a beer distributor and buy a case of beer. It's absolutely asinine and it makes no sense. I would love to see a reporter actually ask my Governor (Wolfe) why this is. That will never happen though. I feel like hes got some explaining to do once this all clears up.

This is such a shitty situation because we dont know when or how it will end. I haven't seen my mom face to face since this all starter because I'm at a high risk to get it and she has breast cancer. My grandparents and I met up on Easter in a parking lot to see each other and talk from each others cars. It's tough not seeing them for this long and not being able to give them a hug and kiss. But I guess we just continue to do our part and hope all this gets fixed soon.
t_baum88
4/20/2020 5:59am
agn5009 wrote:

So who paid for that park again?
NvHermit
Fantasy
4303rd
4/20/2020 6:10am
Park rules were set up because the homeless started living there

Post a reply to: Sand in the skatepark?

The Latest