Saving Private Ryan.

borg
Just finished watching. All my problems seem so small now.
|
JRT812
7/26/2019 7:41pm
Excellent movie
Beeby
7/27/2019 8:36am
Good luck getting non military people to join the fight and go to war like that these days. That beach scene is scary shit

The Shop

Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
7/27/2019 9:20am
Favourite movie of all time, a real tear jerker
borg
7/27/2019 9:29am
I had opened my mail earlier and found out that I ran a red light in a left turn lane. $490 camera ticket. Had me pissing and moaning, trying to figure a way out of it. Saving Private Ryan pretty much put an end to the pissing and moaning.
Barrett57
7/27/2019 10:08am Edited Date/Time 7/27/2019 11:22am
All Quiet on the Western Front from 1930 is worth a watch, so good the nazis banned it.

Made by people who had been in the trenches just 12 years earlier, well worth a watch.
Nighttrain
7/27/2019 12:31pm
Barrett57 wrote:
All Quiet on the Western Front from 1930 is worth a watch, so good the nazis banned it. Made by people who had been in the...
All Quiet on the Western Front from 1930 is worth a watch, so good the nazis banned it.

Made by people who had been in the trenches just 12 years earlier, well worth a watch.
And read the book, too. WW1 has to be the worst conditions endured by soldiers in all of history.

Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers are impactful films.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/27/2019 1:20pm
Der Untergang is a great movie. The English title is Downfall.

All those Hitler meme videos you see are from clips of that movie.

Barrett57
7/27/2019 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/27/2019 1:35pm
Nighttrain wrote:
And read the book, too. WW1 has to be the worst conditions endured by soldiers in all of history. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers...
And read the book, too. WW1 has to be the worst conditions endured by soldiers in all of history.

The books good, but my favourite book about the first world war is 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' written by a lad who joined the British army as an underage teenager and went through the whole thing. He was only 17 when he was took a bullet during the battle of Cambrai.

The best part is that he goes back to the battlefields as an old man in the 1970s and writes a chapter of his experience, it's seriously moving stuff.

Along with Storm of Steel, Somme Mud, Goodbye to All That and Old Soldiers Never Die. No wonder so many men lost their minds in their trenches of the western front.
Nighttrain
7/27/2019 1:54pm
Barrett57 wrote:
The books good, but my favourite book about the first world war is 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' written by a lad who joined the...
The books good, but my favourite book about the first world war is 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' written by a lad who joined the British army as an underage teenager and went through the whole thing. He was only 17 when he was took a bullet during the battle of Cambrai.

The best part is that he goes back to the battlefields as an old man in the 1970s and writes a chapter of his experience, it's seriously moving stuff.

Along with Storm of Steel, Somme Mud, Goodbye to All That and Old Soldiers Never Die. No wonder so many men lost their minds in their trenches of the western front.
Thank you, Barrett. I’ll check out all of those. A Grandfather I never knew fought in the trenches during WW1.

Dan Carlin did an incredible podcast series about WW1 in his Hardcore History.

7/27/2019 3:56pm
Barrett57 wrote:
All Quiet on the Western Front from 1930 is worth a watch, so good the nazis banned it. Made by people who had been in the...

Nighttrain wrote:
And read the book, too. WW1 has to be the worst conditions endured by soldiers in all of history. Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers...

Read Storm and Steel by Ernst Junger. It is a WWI account by a German soldier. His first time to the front was early in the morning - the ground became uneven and it took him a moment to realize that he was walking on corpses. The man survives multiple wounds throughout the war.

Brutal brutal book.
plowboy
7/27/2019 4:01pm
I had an old paperback about how Germany force recruited criminals from prison to man tanks. True story stuff. Can't find the book but it was written by Sven Hassel, Wheels of Terror. Worth a read.
SEE ARE125
7/27/2019 4:35pm
borg wrote:
I had opened my mail earlier and found out that I ran a red light in a left turn lane. $490 camera ticket. Had me pissing...
I had opened my mail earlier and found out that I ran a red light in a left turn lane. $490 camera ticket. Had me pissing and moaning, trying to figure a way out of it. Saving Private Ryan pretty much put an end to the pissing and moaning.
You can get out of it by just throwing it in the garbage and forgetting about it.
borg
7/27/2019 5:02pm
I have no excuse. You should laugh though. After Private Ryan and some memories of hundreds of infractions where I got away with it, I came to a better place. They have my face dead to rights. The pic they sent is funny as hell. Once I gave it perspective I quit stressing. $490 stings though. Pay it and move on.
7/27/2019 8:02pm
Barrett57 wrote:
The books good, but my favourite book about the first world war is 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' written by a lad who joined the...

Nighttrain wrote:
Thank you, Barrett. I’ll check out all of those. A Grandfather I never knew fought in the trenches during WW1. Dan Carlin did an incredible podcast...
Thank you, Barrett. I’ll check out all of those. A Grandfather I never knew fought in the trenches during WW1.

Dan Carlin did an incredible podcast series about WW1 in his Hardcore History.

I was going to make a thread about his podcasts. The ww1 series was mind boggling. I loved all the nitty gritty details!
Nighttrain
7/27/2019 8:41pm
I was going to make a thread about his podcasts. The ww1 series was mind boggling. I loved all the nitty gritty details!
All 6 episodes of “Blueprint for Armageddon” are still free. Carlin does a fantastic job of narrating tje Great War without editorializing. He speaks in reverence of all of the soldiers no matter which side they fought for.
Barrett57
7/27/2019 11:43pm
plowboy wrote:
I had an old paperback about how Germany force recruited criminals from prison to man tanks. True story stuff. Can't find the book but it was...
I had an old paperback about how Germany force recruited criminals from prison to man tanks. True story stuff. Can't find the book but it was written by Sven Hassel, Wheels of Terror. Worth a read.
Sounds interesting I'll have to look that up, I know that they recruited criminals into the 36th Waffen SS division 'Dirlewanger', led by the most sadistic bastard in the whole Third Reich. If you have a strong stomach look them up, the things they did in the Warsaw uprising are just disgusting.

7/28/2019 1:56am
plowboy wrote:
I had an old paperback about how Germany force recruited criminals from prison to man tanks. True story stuff. Can't find the book but it was...
Barrett57 wrote:
Sounds interesting I'll have to look that up, I know that they recruited criminals into the 36th Waffen SS division 'Dirlewanger', led by the most sadistic...
Sounds interesting I'll have to look that up, I know that they recruited criminals into the 36th Waffen SS division 'Dirlewanger', led by the most sadistic bastard in the whole Third Reich. If you have a strong stomach look them up, the things they did in the Warsaw uprising are just disgusting.

The Sven Hassel are very imho. Read them all in my youth & probably due for a revisit. They are fiction, but good none the less.

Stephen S Ambrose stuff on WW2 is very, very good.
TXDirt
7/28/2019 6:16am
Google IMDB top 100. Watch what’s on that list. I think Saving Private Ryan is #18 or something like that. Lots of good movies to watch.
steed 2.0
7/29/2019 7:08am Edited Date/Time 7/29/2019 7:16am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Der Untergang is a great movie. The English title is Downfall. All those Hitler meme videos you see are from clips of that movie.
Der Untergang is a great movie. The English title is Downfall.

All those Hitler meme videos you see are from clips of that movie.

Tip... the pianist and the boy in striped pajamas... btw watched almost all the movies from the previous trailer topic by now... guess what?! most of the trailers are better than the entire movie 😂
reded
7/29/2019 9:50am
The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer is another excellent read by a Wehrmacht soldier in WW2 who fought on the Russian front.

Post a reply to: Saving Private Ryan.

The Latest