Seattle soda tax

newmann
1/2/2018 7:46am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2018 10:01am
http://www.gopusa.com/seattles-soda-tax-begins/

1.75 cents per ounce or an additional $2.52 per twelve pack. When you add sales tax, the tax is as much as the 12 pack. That's a good way to drive all grocery buying traffic out of the city.

How did that tax work out for Cook County?
|
MR. X
1/2/2018 7:56am Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 8:47am
If enough people stood in the street and smashed their feet with hammers ,someone in office would suggest taxing it.
JW381
1/2/2018 8:19am
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays out.
SEE ARE125
1/2/2018 8:26am
My favorite part is $15 million in revenue the first year, with $400k going to the Fresh Bucks program while the other $14.6m goes to “administrative costs” and hiring more government employees.
Brad460
Fantasy
807th
1/2/2018 8:33am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
My favorite part is $15 million in revenue the first year, with $400k going to the Fresh Bucks program while the other $14.6m goes to “administrative...
My favorite part is $15 million in revenue the first year, with $400k going to the Fresh Bucks program while the other $14.6m goes to “administrative costs” and hiring more government employees.
Exactly- Has nothing to do with "discouraging" anything as mentioned above. Its all about growing government.

The Shop

newmann
1/2/2018 8:33am
JW381 wrote:
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays...
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays out.
I hope you guys are going to be okay up there in Oregon. I hear they are starting to let some of you pump your own gas.

And those sin taxes just go to prop up some more gubmint waste. Meanwhile, all those grossly obese people keep drinking their diet soda.
APLMAN99
1/2/2018 8:38am
JW381 wrote:
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays...
I'm generally against these sorts of taxes. If something poses that great of a risk to public health, ban it. Taxing it equates to tacit approval.

I'm wondering if the Seattle City Council has exposed themselves to liability by excluding diet sodas, especially if more studies confirm the health risks of the artificial sweeteners........
newmann
1/2/2018 8:42am
JW381 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
I'm generally against these sorts of taxes. If something poses that great of a risk to public health, ban it. Taxing it equates to tacit approval...
I'm generally against these sorts of taxes. If something poses that great of a risk to public health, ban it. Taxing it equates to tacit approval.

I'm wondering if the Seattle City Council has exposed themselves to liability by excluding diet sodas, especially if more studies confirm the health risks of the artificial sweeteners........
You skated by with 100% apple juice, but anything sugary that isn't 100% fruit juice gets taxed? Lots of fruit juice blends out there. Any effect on your business when stupid tax comes into play?
APLMAN99
1/2/2018 8:49am
JW381 wrote:
APLMAN99 wrote:
I'm generally against these sorts of taxes. If something poses that great of a risk to public health, ban it. Taxing it equates to tacit approval...

newmann wrote:
You skated by with 100% apple juice, but anything sugary that isn't 100% fruit juice gets taxed? Lots of fruit juice blends out there. Any effect...
You skated by with 100% apple juice, but anything sugary that isn't 100% fruit juice gets taxed? Lots of fruit juice blends out there. Any effect on your business when stupid tax comes into play?
I doubt it will have any effect, Seattle is a pretty small geographic area overall and it's a city tax, not statewide or even countywide. I thought that the tax was aimed at carbonated beverages, but haven't really paid that much attention to it.

MR. X
1/2/2018 8:49am
JW381 wrote:
Why stop at soda then ? Plenty of other products that are "poison"
rob162
1/2/2018 9:00am
We finally repealed it here in Cook county. I assume the crooked ass chicago politicians got what ever money they absolutely needed thats why they allowed it to be repealed. Cause chicago never give money back they only take. Lots of people were buying it out of county when they could. What was really bad here was it was a sugar tax really. Any drink with added sugare got taxes by the oz.
Ted722
1/2/2018 9:10am
JW381 wrote:
MR. X wrote:
Why stop at soda then ? Plenty of other products that are "poison"
Depends if you buy it at the market or directly from the source.
JAFO92
1/2/2018 9:16am
JW381 wrote:
Dirt bikes are highly dangerous and at times lethal. Anything to discourage their production and sale. Lack of judgement taxes should exist for a reason. We will see how many see the correlation.
Hut
1/2/2018 9:25am
I think sin taxes are ridiculous but Seattle seems to be doing alright. If they listened to "some people" they never would have raised the minimum wage to $15.
JW381
1/2/2018 12:35pm
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a waste on so many levels, and anything that might diminish such a drain on human health and productivity is okay in my book. I'm a fan of action. We've known for a while now how bad soda is, how grossly overweight our population (especially kids) is, yet nothing has changed.

When I go to BC and see how expensive beer and cigarettes are because of taxes, I can't help but applaud the effort. You still have the choice to drink soda, it's just going to cost you more.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. If soda consumption stays the same then its back to the drawing board.
newmann
1/2/2018 12:44pm
JW381 wrote:
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a...
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a waste on so many levels, and anything that might diminish such a drain on human health and productivity is okay in my book. I'm a fan of action. We've known for a while now how bad soda is, how grossly overweight our population (especially kids) is, yet nothing has changed.

When I go to BC and see how expensive beer and cigarettes are because of taxes, I can't help but applaud the effort. You still have the choice to drink soda, it's just going to cost you more.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. If soda consumption stays the same then its back to the drawing board.
Should we also applaud the fact that school has gotten so expensive that kids have to take out loans for near useless degrees? Just asking. I hear a lot of people complaining they can't get a decent paying job in the field they have a degree in and can't afford to pay their student loans off. But they always seem to have money for other stuff.
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/2/2018 1:26pm
Is there a tax on the highly sweetened starbucks drinks? They are worse than soda.
bsm121
1/2/2018 1:34pm
JW381 wrote:
Who gets to decide which sin to tax?
Pretty slippery slope.
newmann
1/2/2018 1:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 1:39pm
early wrote:
Is there a tax on the highly sweetened starbucks drinks? They are worse than soda.
Ted had a link up above but it appears dead now. Buy your Starbucks at Starbucks and no tax. Buy it at the convenience or grocery store and it's taxed. Imagine that, the Starbucks loophole...

maybe it works

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ronaldholden/2017/02/22/starbucks-wont-fac…
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/2/2018 1:50pm
early wrote:
newmann wrote:
Ted had a link up above but it appears dead now. Buy your Starbucks at Starbucks and no tax. Buy it at the convenience or grocery...
Ted had a link up above but it appears dead now. Buy your Starbucks at Starbucks and no tax. Buy it at the convenience or grocery store and it's taxed. Imagine that, the Starbucks loophole...

maybe it works

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ronaldholden/2017/02/22/starbucks-wont-fac…
Genius
JW381
1/2/2018 1:54pm
JW381 wrote:
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a...

newmann wrote:
Should we also applaud the fact that school has gotten so expensive that kids have to take out loans for near useless degrees? Just asking. I...
Should we also applaud the fact that school has gotten so expensive that kids have to take out loans for near useless degrees? Just asking. I hear a lot of people complaining they can't get a decent paying job in the field they have a degree in and can't afford to pay their student loans off. But they always seem to have money for other stuff.
Apples and oranges. School has benefit. I think someday the government will have to act on student debt out of necessity, but I generally have little to no sympathy for people that can't find work just because it's not in a field they studied for. There's plenty of work. Not sure what that has to do with soda.
JW381
1/2/2018 1:55pm
JW381 wrote:
bsm121 wrote:
Pretty slippery slope.
The voters lol. This isn't domino theory, it's democracy at the local level.
1/2/2018 2:03pm
Fruit juices are almost just as bad as soda. If you take out the fiber from the fruit you are just drinking fruit flavored sugar water.

bsm121
1/2/2018 2:10pm
JW381 wrote:
bsm121 wrote:
Pretty slippery slope.
JW381 wrote:
The voters lol. This isn't domino theory, it's democracy at the local level.
This was on a ballot?
APLMAN99
1/2/2018 2:19pm
Fruit juices are almost just as bad as soda. If you take out the fiber from the fruit you are just drinking fruit flavored sugar water.

Pretty close, but thankfully people don't generally fill up Super Big Gulp sized cups of fruit juice, sometimes a few times a day........
JAFO92
1/2/2018 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 2:20pm
JW381 wrote:

The operative words here, "I think,,,,"

I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than how Titos and lime jacks up my innards too. Same with hopping on my RM250 and augering my dumbass into the ground, its all my prerogative and total bullcrap if some do-gooder can tax me more because they "think" its something I should not do.

My body, my choice. Sound familiar? Kissing
JW381
1/2/2018 2:29pm
JW381 wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:
The operative words here, "I think,,,," I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than...

I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than how Titos and lime jacks up my innards too. Same with hopping on my RM250 and augering my dumbass into the ground, its all my prerogative and total bullcrap if some do-gooder can tax me more because they "think" its something I should not do.

What if it's my prerogative to do meth or heroin? Are you suggesting those be legal to buy, tax free?
Ebs
1/2/2018 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 3:00pm
JW381 wrote:
Allow me to step on my red, white, and blue soapbox.

I disagree with sin taxes simply on principles of freedom and equality, principles I like to think our country is founded upon. Freedom of choice to do whatever you want as long as it isn't harming another person (what is more your own private property than your own body). And equal treatment, if a business provides a good or service that isn't illegal, treat it equal among all other goods/services. We don't need some weak attempt at social engineering.

But I agree that soda is nasty.
newmann
1/2/2018 3:11pm
JW381 wrote:

JAFO92 wrote:
The operative words here, "I think,,,," I happen to love Dr Pepper and dont give a rats ass how bad it is for me anymore than...

Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in the am.

But why are there so many obese people on welfare? I thought they were "poor"?
1/2/2018 3:14pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Pretty close, but thankfully people don't generally fill up Super Big Gulp sized cups of fruit juice, sometimes a few times a day........
But there are a ton of parents that think it's healthy for their kids because it has fruit. And now we have to come up with a new name for adult onset diabetes.

I'm so glad I kicked the soda habit a long time ago. It's crazy how much soda gets consumed in a day. Even the dietary recommendation of 200 grams of carbs is insane. One of those big gulps has probably about that much sugar.
JAFO92
1/2/2018 3:26pm
JW381 wrote:
What if it's my prerogative to do meth or heroin? Are you suggesting those be legal to buy, tax free?
I say take off all warning labels and let Natural Selection do its job.

Wink

Post a reply to: Seattle soda tax

The Latest