Seattle soda tax

JW381
1/2/2018 3:28pm
JW381 wrote:
What if it's my prerogative to do meth or heroin? Are you suggesting those be legal to buy, tax free?
JAFO92 wrote:
I say take off all warning labels and let Natural Selection do its job.

Wink
I can dig it.
JAFO92
1/2/2018 3:30pm
newmann wrote:
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in...
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in the am.

But why are there so many obese people on welfare? I thought they were "poor"?
Actually about 153 right now, the holidays have taken their toll on me. Huh
Nighttrain
1/2/2018 3:32pm
JW381 wrote:
What if it's my prerogative to do meth or heroin? Are you suggesting those be legal to buy, tax free?
JAFO92 wrote:

Wink
Agree. Taxing “sins”, legislating “morals”....it’s all folly.
borg
1/2/2018 3:47pm

The Shop

Barrett57
1/2/2018 4:20pm
newmann wrote:
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in...
Dr. Pepper? Why you 150 pound fatass!! Picking up my Dr. Pepper, Coca Cola, Sprite, Red Bull, Gatorade and some water too at Sam's Club in the am.

It's a funny reversal, being fat used to showed that you were wealth and being thin used to show you were poor.

newmann
1/2/2018 4:39pm
newmann wrote:

Barrett57 wrote:
It's a funny reversal, being fat used to showed that you were wealth and being thin used to show you were poor.

Still seems to be the deal in North Korea. Only one fatass there.
JM485
1/2/2018 5:09pm
JW381 wrote:
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays...
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays out.
I would think you'd be against this just for the simple fact that it's not a tiered tax, it's equal across the board and effects the lower classes more than anyone. The guy making $100 an hour doesn't care about it, the guy making $12 an hour sure as hell does though. It's like a gas tax, the lower and middle class get screwed, and they know it.

I get the idea of keeping people away for things that are bad for them, but just trying to price people out is wrong in my opinion and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's not how things are supposed to work, and it's a dirty way to get things done. My suggestion would be (assuming this is really about "helping" people and not just a money grab) providing better nutritional education to people so they can make their own informed decisions. A more educated population never hurts, and people need to be able to make their own decisions rather than rely on the government to decide what's best for them, which is a very slippery slope.
JW381
1/2/2018 5:17pm
JW381 wrote:
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays...
I'm for it, just because soda is poison. Anything to discourage it's production and sale. Sin taxes exist for a reason. We'll see how it plays out.
JM485 wrote:
I would think you'd be against this just for the simple fact that it's not a tiered tax, it's equal across the board and effects the...
I would think you'd be against this just for the simple fact that it's not a tiered tax, it's equal across the board and effects the lower classes more than anyone. The guy making $100 an hour doesn't care about it, the guy making $12 an hour sure as hell does though. It's like a gas tax, the lower and middle class get screwed, and they know it.

I get the idea of keeping people away for things that are bad for them, but just trying to price people out is wrong in my opinion and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That's not how things are supposed to work, and it's a dirty way to get things done. My suggestion would be (assuming this is really about "helping" people and not just a money grab) providing better nutritional education to people so they can make their own informed decisions. A more educated population never hurts, and people need to be able to make their own decisions rather than rely on the government to decide what's best for them, which is a very slippery slope.
Yup, all agreeable points. Like I said, I'm just a fan of action. I'd rather see something as opposed to nothing. It ain't perfect, but it starts moving the ball in a somewhat rolling fashion. And the tax revenue does go to providing real nutrition and nutrition education.
Rhino
1/2/2018 5:24pm
JW381 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:

Wink
Doesn't work. The medical industry makes billions keeping people sick, and alive.
The longer and sicker, the better. If you die, they can't send a bill to your health insurance.

Or sell you drugs for Heartburn, diahrrea, obesity, cholesterol, high BP, diabetes.

Coincidentally all cured by 2 simple things that don't cost a thing really.
vetmxr
1/2/2018 7:23pm
JW381 wrote:
newmann wrote:
I hope you guys are going to be okay up there in Oregon. I hear they are starting to let some of you pump your own...
I hope you guys are going to be okay up there in Oregon. I hear they are starting to let some of you pump your own gas.

And those sin taxes just go to prop up some more gubmint waste. Meanwhile, all those grossly obese people keep drinking their diet soda.
Bought with food stamps.... what do they care the price?
vetmxr
1/2/2018 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2018 7:53pm
JW381 wrote:
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a...
Some of you make some good points, but I'm still glad to see it. What can I say? I think soda is absolutely worthless and a waste on so many levels, and anything that might diminish such a drain on human health and productivity is okay in my book. I'm a fan of action. We've known for a while now how bad soda is, how grossly overweight our population (especially kids) is, yet nothing has changed.

When I go to BC and see how expensive beer and cigarettes are because of taxes, I can't help but applaud the effort. You still have the choice to drink soda, it's just going to cost you more.

Like I said, we'll see how it goes. If soda consumption stays the same then its back to the drawing board.
Back to the drawing board huh? Are you implying that if the consumption rate does NOT go down that they will rescind the tax???? Can anyone anywhere show where that has been done?

Do you believe that the government, (whether local or Federal), really cares whether you're healthy or not? Maybe I'm jaded, but I think in the end its all about money and all they want is to find logical ways to keep taking your money so that they can save you from yourself?

And god knows we don't want to dump millions into saving the life of an idiot that hasn't contributed anything to society , but expects everything under the sun to be done to him to keep him alive after drinking or smoking or sugaring himself to death.

Live and let live works for me, just please don't live your life recklessly and then want me to pay for the effects of your lifestyle when I have no say on how you live. ( And I want NO say in how YOU live.)
vetmxr
1/2/2018 7:46pm
JW381 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:

Wink
JW381 wrote:
I can dig it.
Yes Yes Yes......This is how we cull the morons and idiots out of the population. Think 60's and 70's......

I'm surprised i'm still alive to tell the truth.
newmann
1/3/2018 6:21am
vetmxr wrote:
Back to the drawing board huh? Are you implying that if the consumption rate does NOT go down that they will rescind the tax???? Can anyone...
Back to the drawing board huh? Are you implying that if the consumption rate does NOT go down that they will rescind the tax???? Can anyone anywhere show where that has been done?

Do you believe that the government, (whether local or Federal), really cares whether you're healthy or not? Maybe I'm jaded, but I think in the end its all about money and all they want is to find logical ways to keep taking your money so that they can save you from yourself?

And god knows we don't want to dump millions into saving the life of an idiot that hasn't contributed anything to society , but expects everything under the sun to be done to him to keep him alive after drinking or smoking or sugaring himself to death.

Live and let live works for me, just please don't live your life recklessly and then want me to pay for the effects of your lifestyle when I have no say on how you live. ( And I want NO say in how YOU live.)
I see the indoctrination process didn't go so well for you. You need to get some student loans and spend more time at Berkeley.
bball35
1/3/2018 8:10am
I see that all those taxes California has implementing is working real well. The tent cities popping up everywhere makes it look like the great depression.
newmann
1/3/2018 9:21am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2018 9:23am
bball35 wrote:
I see that all those taxes California has implementing is working real well. The tent cities popping up everywhere makes it look like the great depression.
Depression.

Modern day.

gabrielito
1/3/2018 9:33am
Shouldn't a local governments make local laws. Bunch of cooked out lefty federalists in here.
newmann
1/3/2018 9:41am
Did Seattle build a Great Wall around the city yet? I’m coming through!

JAFO92
1/3/2018 9:43am
Hell yeah, motherlode ! Woohoo

I think Im gonna bust the cap on a frosty Dr Pepper right now!
peelout
1/3/2018 1:53pm
Seattle taxing for "sin" and Oregon making people pump their own gas?! what is this world coming to?
XXVoid MainXX
1/3/2018 2:06pm
JW381 wrote:
Motorcycles are dangerous. You should pay $20,000 for your KTM. $10k to KTM and $10k to the man.
TXDirt
1/3/2018 2:28pm
newmann wrote:
Did Seattle build a Great Wall around the city yet? I’m coming through! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/03/235591/s1200_96C2F7DC_FAF4_4E11_A04A_0DD37BA5A22C.jpg[/img]
Did Seattle build a Great Wall around the city yet? I’m coming through!

A modern day bootlegger!!!
1/3/2018 2:34pm
vetmxr wrote:
Back to the drawing board huh? Are you implying that if the consumption rate does NOT go down that they will rescind the tax???? Can anyone...

I completely agree, it is the same with every tax, or regulation that they come up with. It's always just a money grab.

The huge tax increase on gas in California was the same thing. Jerry Brown is not eligible for reelection so he made sure to push that through in the 11th hour.
newmann
1/3/2018 2:43pm
I completely agree, it is the same with every tax, or regulation that they come up with. It's always just a money grab. The huge tax...
I completely agree, it is the same with every tax, or regulation that they come up with. It's always just a money grab.

The huge tax increase on gas in California was the same thing. Jerry Brown is not eligible for reelection so he made sure to push that through in the 11th hour.
Of course that gas tax came around because they weren't selling enough gas after all their CARB regulations and mileage mandates. Then they started taxing electric car owners additional registration fees because they weren't using any gas.
Rhino
1/3/2018 2:56pm
I completely agree, it is the same with every tax, or regulation that they come up with. It's always just a money grab. The huge tax...

newmann wrote:
Of course that gas tax came around because they weren't selling enough gas after all their CARB regulations and mileage mandates. Then they started taxing electric...
Of course that gas tax came around because they weren't selling enough gas after all their CARB regulations and mileage mandates. Then they started taxing electric car owners additional registration fees because they weren't using any gas.
Diesel went up 50 cents in most areas overnight. Diesel is NOOOOOO Bargain.

CA gas is relatively cheap though. Maybe because of the Volume?

HD1200
1/3/2018 3:01pm
JW381 wrote:
Since you're against it, it should be taxed? You probably think guns kill people too?
kkawboy14
1/3/2018 4:30pm
If they are not gonna get rid of cigarettes which are obviously bad for people, there is a bunch of other stuff that will never disappear!
BMSOBx2
1/3/2018 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 1/3/2018 4:41pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If they are not gonna get rid of cigarettes which are obviously bad for people, there is a bunch of other stuff that will never disappear!
It all depends on how much money you have to fund lobbyists. It's called patronage. It's how our government works. Even before the citizens united decision by the Supreme Court which made it totally legal to buy elections and whatever you want if you have enough money. Ask OJ. Prime example of getting away with murder.

Post a reply to: Seattle soda tax

The Latest