Shaving/Razor Rant

plowboy
Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 7:53am
Facts: I'm 62 and I know that facial hair changes texture with age. As in, thicker and tougher.

History: I'm retired military. This is relevant because I shaved at least 5 days a week mandatorily and usually shaved on the weekends cause I did a lot of loving on my wife. If I didn't shave...her face was raw as hamburger. Bottom line, 7 days a week, I was clean shaven.

I used the Gillette track 2 for a million years. Before the lubrastrip or swivel head. They provided an incredibly close, safe shave for a month or more per razor. When they deleted this basic razor for the lubrastrip with swivel head...it was still a great, long lasting shave.

Nowadays, they have 3,4,5 blades and cut like shit. I can't get those big heads around my nose area without blood. Also, how can 4/5 blades cut less than the old 2 blade razor.

I began shaving with a straight razor which required some patience and was time consuming but that original Gillette was a very close second. I've tried all the brands I can get my hands on but they all suck.

My question: Is there a 2 blade razor that gives a close shave but doesn't carve off facial imperfections. That lasts a decent amount of uses?
|
Chance1216
11/29/2020 12:23pm
plowboy wrote:
Facts: I'm 62 and I know that facial hair changes texture with age. As in, thicker and tougher. History: I'm retired military. This is relevant because...
Facts: I'm 62 and I know that facial hair changes texture with age. As in, thicker and tougher.

History: I'm retired military. This is relevant because I shaved at least 5 days a week mandatorily and usually shaved on the weekends cause I did a lot of loving on my wife. If I didn't shave...her face was raw as hamburger. Bottom line, 7 days a week, I was clean shaven.

I used the Gillette track 2 for a million years. Before the lubrastrip or swivel head. They provided an incredibly close, safe shave for a month or more per razor. When they deleted this basic razor for the lubrastrip with swivel head...it was still a great, long lasting shave.

Nowadays, they have 3,4,5 blades and cut like shit. I can't get those big heads around my nose area without blood. Also, how can 4/5 blades cut less than the old 2 blade razor.

I began shaving with a straight razor which required some patience and was time consuming but that original Gillette was a very close second. I've tried all the brands I can get my hands on but they all suck.

My question: Is there a 2 blade razor that gives a close shave but doesn't carve off facial imperfections. That lasts a decent amount of uses?
I bounce back and forth between the Gillette Mach 3 and the Gillette King C. The Mach 3 seems to last the longest but, I get a closer cleaner shave with the King C. I prefer being clean shaven. I know you asked for a double blade option but, the King C might work for you. Here’s a pic of it for reference. They’re about $30

plowboy
11/29/2020 12:50pm
I'm willing to try anything. Ill see if I can find it.
murph783
11/29/2020 12:57pm
I’ve used the Gillette Mach 3 for years. I mean it’s all I know, but I’m happy with it
Chance1216
11/29/2020 1:42pm
plowboy wrote:
I'm willing to try anything. Ill see if I can find it.
I usually order from Amazon.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2212th
11/29/2020 2:46pm
I have had a beard for at least the last 5 years, my hair is very thick/course and my skin hates to be shaved, also my wife does not like the way I look with a clean shave. When I do clean up my neck up I have to use these disposable razors, they are just 2 blades on a piece of plastic with a little lubrication strip. Anything with a pivoting head just bounces off my hair and doesn't actually cut it. They don't last but the y do work and they are cheap.

ktmfun219
Fantasy
401st
11/29/2020 5:19pm
Gillette Sensor Excell razor for 35 years. I just received my ebay Gillette sensor blades today. 50 each for $50 all in tax and shipping. Walgreens are $3 each locally.
11/29/2020 6:36pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2020 6:44pm
I use the Gillette pro glide. 5 blade. But I shave against the grain. And I only get about 5-7 shaves out of the blade before it tears me up. But when that blade is fresh is glides with ease. As soon as feel some resistance I usually toss the blade. But if I’m stuck in the field I can stretch it out for 3 weeks daily outta my canteen cup holder, and using my signal mirror. I save my MRE heaters and get them going real hot. And place it against my face to stand the hairs up and then go against the Grain.

Now if I’m home I soak a rag in hot water to where I almost cant stand it. Dab my face so the hair stands up and against the grain. Haven’t found a other razor where I can quickly shave like the pivoting fusion. Wish it didn’t have so many blades because I think the first two on the bottom is the only ones that have hair in them anyway (because I only shave upside down against grain). The rest are a gimmick and really don’t get touched.

I do have very smooth face though. No pits/divits or anything. And I use a heavy moisturizer afterwards.
11/29/2020 6:47pm
Now this blade I most likely will toss it. I’m close to day 5....any further than that and these things really shred ya up and tug and irritate my face.

OG725
11/30/2020 5:38am
15 year old Mexican girls grow a better moustache than me. Why can't a razor survive more than three shaves? My baby face breaks out in a rash if I try to use anything but a fresh razor.
yz133rider
11/30/2020 6:35am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 6:37am
I have to shower before I shave and while In the shower use conditioner on my face and try to run it under the hot water for a while. It needs to be warm and hydrated or shaving ruins it.

I use a double edge single blade and it cuts really well, but it isn’t very forgiving. You have to apply even pressure and keep the angles right.

I got turned onto this style and brand I believe from a thread on here before.

https://getrockwell.com/pages/products
alphado
11/30/2020 6:53am
early wrote:
I have had a beard for at least the last 5 years, my hair is very thick/course and my skin hates to be shaved, also my...
I have had a beard for at least the last 5 years, my hair is very thick/course and my skin hates to be shaved, also my wife does not like the way I look with a clean shave. When I do clean up my neck up I have to use these disposable razors, they are just 2 blades on a piece of plastic with a little lubrication strip. Anything with a pivoting head just bounces off my hair and doesn't actually cut it. They don't last but the y do work and they are cheap.

We built the plastic injection molds for most of the Schick razors at my last employer. I did a lot of design work on those. ST is a great razor.
11/30/2020 7:40am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 7:42am
That swivel on the fusion makes it very forgiving and contours to your face. Makes for a very fast shave.

Shicks for sure get close. Because that’s the only razor that my face burns after a shave.

I’m ready to Jump ship at anytime if there’s something better out there im all for it. just haven’t found anything.

My last mobilization this guy was bouncing from unit to unit and he would do shaves too. The entire New England states had shut all barber shops down and we couldn’t get haircuts besides just butching eachother until this reserve barber showed up....was great. Straight razor hot towel shave from this guy was amazing. Didn’t have to shave for 2 days after he was done. He was in MASSACHUSSETTS national guard. His reserve job was artillery I think....but he owned a barber shop with his civilian career. The entire guard was activated and once higher found out he’s a barber he got a really cool mission that boosted morale and kept everything looking sharp.

plowboy
11/30/2020 8:00am
That swivel on the fusion makes it very forgiving and contours to your face. Makes for a very fast shave. Shicks for sure get close. Because...
That swivel on the fusion makes it very forgiving and contours to your face. Makes for a very fast shave.

Shicks for sure get close. Because that’s the only razor that my face burns after a shave.

I’m ready to Jump ship at anytime if there’s something better out there im all for it. just haven’t found anything.

My last mobilization this guy was bouncing from unit to unit and he would do shaves too. The entire New England states had shut all barber shops down and we couldn’t get haircuts besides just butching eachother until this reserve barber showed up....was great. Straight razor hot towel shave from this guy was amazing. Didn’t have to shave for 2 days after he was done. He was in MASSACHUSSETTS national guard. His reserve job was artillery I think....but he owned a barber shop with his civilian career. The entire guard was activated and once higher found out he’s a barber he got a really cool mission that boosted morale and kept everything looking sharp.

The barbershop on Taif (Saudi) airbase was amazing. The only thing electric in the place was the lights. 3 bucks got you a shampoo, scalp massage, haircut with scissors only, 2 hot towel treatments, brushed lather up, and straight razor shave. Best to have 45 minutes to spare but you felt like a million bucks.
alphado
11/30/2020 8:32am
I use Dollar Shave Club. I shave every other day and get at least a month out of a cartridge.
GHOPPER
11/30/2020 8:37am
Gillette sensor3 disposable. They work good and last a long time. I used to use the track 2 and switched to these. They feel similar. I just order them on amazon.
Jeff alessi
11/30/2020 4:01pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 4:03pm
Shave in the shower, you may have to practice but your in the best environment for a mess up Wink

I do shave in the shower for the ease of it but I also can clean my razors and get them hot while my face is getting the normal services done. Brush my teeth inside the shower as well, I call it the full service.
SKIDLID
Fantasy
761st
11/30/2020 4:25pm
Shave in the shower, you may have to practice but your in the best environment for a mess up ;) I do shave in the shower...
Shave in the shower, you may have to practice but your in the best environment for a mess up Wink

I do shave in the shower for the ease of it but I also can clean my razors and get them hot while my face is getting the normal services done. Brush my teeth inside the shower as well, I call it the full service.
I started doing this last year. Works great, faster and less cleanup required. I had to shave my broken jaw with stitches in it for a couple months recently. Harder than usual in the shower but I survived without any more injuries !
TXDirt
11/30/2020 5:07pm
I bought a pack of these from Costco and at first they were fine. I would say I’ve had them for maybe a year. I can use a razor for a month.

I don’t know if something happens to them over time but now even a brand new razor literally cuts like shit. Won’t even cut hair. Just garbage...

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
11/30/2020 5:27pm
Someone recently mentioned Harry's $4 razors and had a link. I sent the link to my wife and said maybe Christmas idea. She ordered a complete kit right then apparently and I just tried it. Its more than 2 blades but it was the best shave in awhile. We will see how long they last. I searched for the other shave thread with no luck but it was recent.
11/30/2020 5:42pm
I went to a safety razor a couple years ago and learned how to use it with some bleeding/razor burn involved. Use a quality pre-shave lotion, shave soap and a good brush - prep is key. Watch YouTube videos on how to use them. Do not rake the razor like a cartridge.

I use a new Feather brand razor every shave and am loving it. Never worry about a dull blade. And they’re cheap compared to the cartridge razors.
Chance1216
11/30/2020 6:33pm
Shave in the shower, you may have to practice but your in the best environment for a mess up ;) I do shave in the shower...

Good call. Been doing it for years. Just don’t forget your toothbrush when you have overnight guests lol.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/30/2020 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2020 8:28pm
FLmxer wrote:
Someone recently mentioned Harry's $4 razors and had a link. I sent the link to my wife and said maybe Christmas idea. She ordered a complete...
Someone recently mentioned Harry's $4 razors and had a link. I sent the link to my wife and said maybe Christmas idea. She ordered a complete kit right then apparently and I just tried it. Its more than 2 blades but it was the best shave in awhile. We will see how long they last. I searched for the other shave thread with no luck but it was recent.
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
12/1/2020 5:30am Edited Date/Time 12/1/2020 1:21pm
ktmfun219 wrote:
Gillette Sensor Excell razor for 35 years. I just received my ebay Gillette sensor blades today. 50 each for $50 all in tax and shipping. Walgreens...
Gillette Sensor Excell razor for 35 years. I just received my ebay Gillette sensor blades today. 50 each for $50 all in tax and shipping. Walgreens are $3 each locally.
are they real? I tried some from amazon and they were knockoffs, looked the same but the razors cut horribly. I was ordering dorco 2 blade razors which were really good, but they're no longer available.
rallendude
12/1/2020 6:56am
The Walmart stores in my area still carry these. I've tried the 3 and 4 blade stuff and always go back to the Gillette Trac II plus.

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
12/1/2020 8:22am
My wife got me a Phillips One blade and honestly I don't ever want to use anything else again. The thing kicks ass
12/1/2020 9:14am
I don’t know how people can get a month out of a razor. Is that like everyday shaving ? Soon as you lose that effortless glide I try to toss it.
footglove
12/1/2020 9:32am
Try to find an old Gillette Adjustable DE Razor. I switch back and forth between my adjustable and a straight razor and that adjustable is by far the best shave I have ever had in my life!

Post a reply to: Shaving/Razor Rant

The Latest