Sling TV

ForToo
10/6/2017 7:25am
I just officially cut the cord after my annual "threaten to cancel" call actually resulted in cancellation when the rep failed to offer a decent deal. Sling users, what streaming interface do you use? Would you recommend it? Looks like I'll likely end up shelling out about $50/month to get everything I'd want, just looking for some feedback before pulling the trigger on a streaming device.
|
akillerwombat
10/6/2017 8:37am
I love it.

We run it through the Xbox at home and it's great, lots of quality content, live tv, movies, etc. the interface isn't the best (and it has a few glitches) but I recommend it to everyone looking for a cable alternative.
JRT812
10/6/2017 9:19am
The new apple tv looks pretty good and comes with DVR service from what I have understood. Just another option and know many people who use the Sling
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/6/2017 10:45am
For a standalone there are basically 5 options.

1. A game system. Pretty sure any new game system you buy can access sling or playstation vue. Bonus is that many can play blu-rays also. I dont play video games and dont have a system.

2. Apple tv. A little pricey but apple quality so its probably good. Downside is if you done already have apple products they will just about force you to buy into their architecture (itunes etc.). I dont use apple products so im not 100% on this in recent times. Other people probably know better.

3. Roku. Variety of priced devices. Seems to be pretty good for most users, never used it myself.

4. Google chromecast. Ive never used one. The original you had to stream from a device (phone/tablet) to the tv. I hope thats not the case anymore as that seems terribly out dated.

5. Amazon devices. This is what I use, i have 2 firesticks and will be getting a gen 2 firetv when they arereleased. I have amazon prime so i get their streaming and i backup photos on their server which can be accessed on the tv as a screensaver or for display. Really convenient to show off vacation photos etc to family and friends right on the tv. Im in the amazon architecture so it works best for me. The original firestivks can be a little bit laggy which is annoying, hoping the new firetv is better.

Also you might want to try a trial of sling and playatation vue to see which you like better. I think you can get a week of each or something for free.
ForToo
10/6/2017 11:39am
early wrote:
For a standalone there are basically 5 options. 1. A game system. Pretty sure any new game system you buy can access sling or playstation vue...
For a standalone there are basically 5 options.

1. A game system. Pretty sure any new game system you buy can access sling or playstation vue. Bonus is that many can play blu-rays also. I dont play video games and dont have a system.

2. Apple tv. A little pricey but apple quality so its probably good. Downside is if you done already have apple products they will just about force you to buy into their architecture (itunes etc.). I dont use apple products so im not 100% on this in recent times. Other people probably know better.

3. Roku. Variety of priced devices. Seems to be pretty good for most users, never used it myself.

4. Google chromecast. Ive never used one. The original you had to stream from a device (phone/tablet) to the tv. I hope thats not the case anymore as that seems terribly out dated.

5. Amazon devices. This is what I use, i have 2 firesticks and will be getting a gen 2 firetv when they arereleased. I have amazon prime so i get their streaming and i backup photos on their server which can be accessed on the tv as a screensaver or for display. Really convenient to show off vacation photos etc to family and friends right on the tv. Im in the amazon architecture so it works best for me. The original firestivks can be a little bit laggy which is annoying, hoping the new firetv is better.

Also you might want to try a trial of sling and playatation vue to see which you like better. I think you can get a week of each or something for free.
Thanks for the thorough reply. I've disassociated myself from Apple, iTunes, and their proprietary BS. I do have a Chromecast, though I'm not exactly find of it's limited capabilities; and I reward that "stick" devices are less than ideal for Sling. I don't own any gaming systems. That said, based on what you said, and being a Prime member myself, firetv might be the way to go.

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2139th
10/6/2017 11:44am
ForToo wrote:
Thanks for the thorough reply. I've disassociated myself from Apple, iTunes, and their proprietary BS. I do have a Chromecast, though I'm not exactly find of...
Thanks for the thorough reply. I've disassociated myself from Apple, iTunes, and their proprietary BS. I do have a Chromecast, though I'm not exactly find of it's limited capabilities; and I reward that "stick" devices are less than ideal for Sling. I don't own any gaming systems. That said, based on what you said, and being a Prime member myself, firetv might be the way to go.
Gen 2 doesnt get released until oct 26 or something like that. I would wait till then
SEE ARE125
10/6/2017 12:06pm
I would compare Sling, Playstation Vue, and Hulu(they offer live tv now, too) to see which one you like best. I like Hulu, but their live tv service kept buffering, something that I haven’t experience with Vue or Sling. I cancelled Hulu’s live TV but kept regular Hulu. Sling seemed awkward to navigate for me, so I’m still with PS Vue which is where I started. In addition to channel lineup and price, I would compare DVRs too. Vue lets you keep a show for 28 days, while Hulu offer 50hrs worth of shows(you can upgrade to like 200hrs I think) Can’t remember what Sling offered as far as DVR service.
ForToo
10/6/2017 12:15pm
early wrote:
Gen 2 doesnt get released until oct 26 or something like that. I would wait till then
Thanks, pre-ordered!
TommyLee93
10/6/2017 2:39pm
Can't go wrong with Sing TV or Vue, both are solid.
agn5009
10/6/2017 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2017 6:53pm
Try sling, direct tv go and vue. They all offer a week free trial. Each has positives and negatives.

I had sling but canceled it and went back to dish network because apparently my internet has a data cap that I wasn't aware of. Essentially after 2 or so weeks my internet started running extremely slow. I called and found out that I apparently used too much internet from my internet provider and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg for going over on data. Absolutely ridiculous. Sorry for the rant, I guess my point is, check to make sure you have unlimited data with your internet provider before you do anything. Otherwise you'll only be able to internet for about 2 weeks out of the month.

After I cancelled dish network a few months ago then called them back they gave me a good package at $50 per month with no contract. So maybe give it a month or 2 then check back into dish.

And to answer your original question, I use the Amazon fire box. It's great for sling. The fire stick is significantly slower, so for your main room of entertainment just spend the $100 for the fire box rather than fire stick.

Post a reply to: Sling TV

The Latest