So I built a Boat....

BobPA
Edited Date/Time 9/3/2020 2:15pm
I always wanted a good running flat. My cousin had one, and he ended up passing away a few years ago. His boat was still around, but sat outside for years uncovered...It was offered to me for free, but it was too far gone.

So I found this, a 1975 Biesemeyer ski deck. This boat was sitting near my house for nearly 20 years....And I never knew it existed. I even dated a girl that lived a few houses down from where it was parked....drove by the open garage it was sitting, under cover, hundreds of times. As you can see by the before and after...it was rough. I bought it in September of last year and have had it on the water for a bit over a month. Seats are are being reupholstered over winter...I had a time constraint this year.

I built it to be a hot lake boat, not to race. If you build a race boat, you have to spec it to the class you want to run and that gets pricey. So I built it how I wanted, without worrying about a rule book.

427 big block Chevy, solid roller valvetrain (260/268 duration @0.050" and 0.703" lift int/exh), rectangle port iron "840" heads with an old school port job, forged crank, rods, JE pistons, 10.5:1 compression for pump gas, etc. Got a big single plane intake with an 850 Holley on it for now....currently a little undercarb'd. Going to a tunnel ram setup next year (one from my cousins original boat)...and eventually a Kinsler stack injection setup. Got a tall deck Chevy block laying in wait if I ever get the urge to go real big power. With the conservative timing/jetting I have in it now, it should in the 550hp range...should make 600hp with a more "on edge" tune.

I am just learning to drive one of these things, so I have been taking it slow. Learning to fly the boat with the down pedal is a bit tricky, but I am getting more comfortable. Got 86.4 MPH on GPS (may have been faster due to slow update times) at 5600RPM. It should rev to 7000RPM or so at peak, so over 100MPH is in the cards for sure. I have had outboards over 100MPH....But, this is a different animal. Enough rambling, here are a few pictures....

|
JeremyK
8/31/2020 6:11pm
That thing is sick ! Does the drive shaft spin right next you ?
JAFO92
8/31/2020 6:29pm
JeremyK wrote:
Appears to have a torque tube like a sprint car.
JWACK
8/31/2020 6:35pm
I thought this was going to be a Suzuki RM-Z450 thread!
Nice job!
AJ565
8/31/2020 7:05pm
JeremyK wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
Torque tube to a V drive that goes back out to a prop it looks like.

The Shop

8/31/2020 7:51pm
Super CooL boat. I used to see boats in the 70,s Like yours, at Shawanon Lake. I went boating in the same lake this past summer. I was bummed there was no jet boats. Hard to believe that is the same boat in the pics, Great job. I,m in Harrisburg ,
JRT812
8/31/2020 8:11pm
Wow!!!! That is amazing!!!
BobPA
8/31/2020 8:11pm
JeremyK wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Correct. The driveshaft runs directly between the two seats to a v-drive unit. Which is basically an in-and-out box aka neutral and forward. You have to shut the engine down to put it in gear...Reverse is a wooden paddle near the drivers feet haha.

I do not have a good picture of the prop, this pic is sourced from the internets...same basic principle. 2 blade, 11" +/-diameter and turned big RPM. My v-drive has a 22% overdriven gear set, meaning that when the engine is at 6000 RPM the prop is turning at 7320 RPM. They make all kinds of different props and gear ratios.

The boat is "trimmed" with the left foot. Push down on the pedal to move the nose down, release the pedal to let the nose up for more speed. It moves the cavitation plates out back...and not as much as you would think, 1/8th of an inch is very noticable. Learning to run the plates is the key to these boats...

8/31/2020 8:12pm
Props dude. Nice boat. My neighbor when I was a kid had a 78 Sanger with a 392 hemi ( the real ones) and a 6/71. He took me out many times and taught me quite a bit about big power engines.

With the pedal, I donโ€™t remember much, but I do know he would use that pedal to launch and the damn boat would jump out of the water like nothing I have ever felt. Something about bringing the rpmโ€™s up with the pedal down, then hammering it and letting the pedal go. Good times. I hope to build one like you one day.

avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
8/31/2020 10:00pm
She's a beaut, Clark.

Oh man, my best friend is a huge flatty fan and has had probably 5 over the years. I wish I had some pics of his old boats. His current ride is this daycruiser with a 500 inch chevy with a 10/71 and a turbo 400 inline v-drive. It will run 120 at 5000. I'm not a fan of going that fast on the water at all. Especially in a small flat bottom. Going that fast in something so short scared the shit out of me. No that's not me in the pics. He is 6'6 330, so you can imagine him trying to fit in a 17 foot flatty. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sully
8/31/2020 10:04pm
Nice boat. Is there an advantage to a 2 bladed prop over a 3 or 4 bladed prop?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
8/31/2020 10:57pm
Sully wrote:
A twin works well on a small light boat for getting out of the hole, but a quad blade is much more efficient on the heavier one's and or for speed runs.
MXant15
Fantasy
729th
8/31/2020 11:09pm
Nice boat! I can imagine the Bhole pucker when going 80+ let alone over 100 mph on that thing. So cool!
TXDirt
9/1/2020 4:08am
Really cool! Thanks for sharing!
alphado
9/1/2020 5:19am
That is cool! Nothing like raw horsepower.
Team Ideal
9/1/2020 5:25am
I love going fast on or in anything, except boats, something about going that fast on water scares the shit out of me. that's a sweet ride though. nice job.
JAFO92
9/1/2020 6:42am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 8:08am
JeremyK wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
Looks like the oldschool Stewart-Warner gauges, too cool Also noticed the direct-drive tach cable too, hasta be S/W ! We used to have that on an old '55 Chevy straight line car back in 1981. Old gearheads notice crap like that. LOL
TXDirt
9/1/2020 9:40am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 9:46am
One of my friends has a new Midnight Express power boat up at LOTO. This boat has five 450HP motors. Itโ€™s a powerboat thatโ€™s longer then most class A motorhomes. Itโ€™s an absolute beast. Cost is around 2 million dollars. The fuel bill is around $2,000. Itโ€™s without a doubt the baddest boat Iโ€™ve ever seen!
BobPA
9/1/2020 6:00pm
Sully wrote:
A little better top end speed at the expense of more vibration...but nothing too drastic. 3 blade props cavitate less at low RPM, so if I were pulling a skier it would be better. 3 blade props also are a bit less stable at high speed....but I run a 2 blade for now because it came on the boat...and good props ain't cheap haha.
BobPA
9/1/2020 6:04pm
MXant15 wrote:
Nice boat! I can imagine the Bhole pucker when going 80+ let alone over 100 mph on that thing. So cool!
Believe it or not, it is actually pretty stable at speed so far. It is a circle track boat design, so they actually handle quite well in the rough water. Things go wrong in a hurry though, and I absolutely respect it every time I go out. Things are all fine and dandy...until they aren't. I wear a good Lifeline vest and have a dead mans kill switch when I am pushing the speed. But, it cruises and rides nice. I have done some 20+ mile runs with my girlfriend and I, and it is surprisingly comfortable...just need ear plugs...The straight cut gears are LOUD, so is the engine...
BobPA
9/1/2020 6:09pm
JAFO92 wrote:
AJ565 wrote:
JAFO92 wrote:
Looks like the oldschool Stewart-Warner gauges, too cool Also noticed the direct-drive tach cable too, hasta be S/W ! We used to have that on an...
Looks like the oldschool Stewart-Warner gauges, too cool Also noticed the direct-drive tach cable too, hasta be S/W ! We used to have that on an old '55 Chevy straight line car back in 1981. Old gearheads notice crap like that. LOL
I actually wanted to get the SW stuff when I bought the new gauges....Everyone is giving them shit as they are now built in China. So I went old school Auto-Meter.

Great eye on the tach. It is a Jones/Motrola mechanical setup, and the telltale still works. It records peak RPM and has to be reset with a key.

You may have noticed that the engine is driven off of the front of the engine in this boat. Circle track boats run a RH rotation prop for better left corners, consequently you have to drive the engine off the snout. The flywheel is an old cast aluminum Scheifer wheel from the 60's.
BobPA
9/1/2020 6:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2020 6:12pm
TXDirt wrote:
One of my friends has a new Midnight Express power boat up at LOTO. This boat has five 450HP motors. Itโ€™s a powerboat thatโ€™s longer then...
One of my friends has a new Midnight Express power boat up at LOTO. This boat has five 450HP motors. Itโ€™s a powerboat thatโ€™s longer then most class A motorhomes. Itโ€™s an absolute beast. Cost is around 2 million dollars. The fuel bill is around $2,000. Itโ€™s without a doubt the baddest boat Iโ€™ve ever seen!
That is a lot of boat right there....I could only imagine. Those 450's cost as much as most peoples cars haha.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
jeffro503
9/1/2020 6:42pm
Holy hell Bob , that thing looks awesome!! Looks like an awesome job to me!
Gworm
9/2/2020 8:48am
That is awesome.

I have never been a boat person, but I saw a beautiful wooden sailboat when I was at St. Maarten several years ago, and thought it was cool. Then last year I went sailing a couple of times with a coworker, and now I'm seriously considering building a wooden sailboat from scratch, but not in my basement, like Gibbs.

More evidence that I have been mercifully spared from the ravages of intelligence.
JAFO92
9/2/2020 9:29am
Gworm wrote:
That is awesome. I have never been a boat person, but I saw a beautiful wooden sailboat when I was at St. Maarten several years ago...
That is awesome.

I have never been a boat person, but I saw a beautiful wooden sailboat when I was at St. Maarten several years ago, and thought it was cool. Then last year I went sailing a couple of times with a coworker, and now I'm seriously considering building a wooden sailboat from scratch, but not in my basement, like Gibbs.

More evidence that I have been mercifully spared from the ravages of intelligence.
- Say can I have some of your purple berries?

- Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks now haven't got sick once.

- Probably keep us both alive.
Gworm
9/2/2020 9:58am
Gworm wrote:
That is awesome. I have never been a boat person, but I saw a beautiful wooden sailboat when I was at St. Maarten several years ago...
That is awesome.

JAFO92 wrote:
- Say can I have some of your purple berries? - Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks now haven't got sick once...

I had to use bing... I had never heard that before.
kongols
9/2/2020 1:55pm
That`s not a boat, that`s rocketship.
Ted722
9/2/2020 7:35pm
Nice! When I think of a v-drive from the 70โ€™s, I think of a Sangar or Hondo. Looks like a great hull ! I can see why theyโ€™re popular in circle boat racing. ๐Ÿ‘

https://youtu.be/tBxAzPby8Qg
KMC440
9/3/2020 1:53pm
^^^
" ... why yes Dottie we just got moved in ... uhhh huh ... yeah right on the water ... oh yeah Harold isn't home yet... some people are unloading their fishing boats ... shiny things they are .... yeah ...hang on Dottie ....

OH MY GAWD ! ! ! ๐Ÿ˜จ "

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰
9/3/2020 2:15pm
Gworm wrote:
That is awesome.

JAFO92 wrote:
- Say can I have some of your purple berries? - Yes, I've been eating them for six or seven weeks now haven't got sick once...

Gworm wrote:
I had to use bing... I had never heard that before.
After I retire this will be the first song I listen to while smoking a fat J of organic homegrown.

Post a reply to: So I built a Boat....

The Latest