btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
JAFO92 JAFO92
10/4/2017 9:53 AM

Any of you guys have a welding trailer setup?

I broke down and bought a Miller Bobcat 250 to use 'round the place (last few projects I mooched a friends Bobcat and fell in love with how well they work) and want to put together a small trailer dealio. That will make it easier to move around the property and I can pull it also with our Polaris Ranger working on fence, barns and projects. (right now I just move it around with the loader on the tractor) I will be adding my acetylene rig and a box to hold hood/gloves/tools/rods/grinders, etc.

Photo

Photo

I saw this picture and really like this setup, the rack up top would be useful to throw some steel if you needed to take some along or maybe a ladder.

Photo

"We don't rent pigs."

GuyB GuyB
10/4/2017 10:03 AM

The rack also looks like it'd be useful to bump your head on. wink

newmann newmann
10/4/2017 10:35 AM
GuyB wrote:

The rack also looks like ...more

So you are suggesting a box to hold his hard hat?

My suggestion would be to make sure the welding machine is mounted high enough to be above the water when it floods.blush Hoping my new never used Miller water cooled tig setup will live after being half submerged along with my mig welder.

borg borg
10/4/2017 10:35 AM

I had an old Lincoln SA-200 on a trailer back in my boiler days. Wish I had a pic.
Nice looking rig. 250 amps is more than enough for stick.

Squidward Squidward
10/4/2017 2:19 PM

Miller Bobcat 250 is my dream welder. If I had one my perfect setup would be on an older utility body cummins. Sorta like a service truck deal. But I like the trailer setup you found. I would maybe raise the corners up a bit to box in the metal or whatever you'r throwing on top better. Show us what you end up doing whenever if you do, im interested.

Hope for the best, Prepare for the worst.

MR. X MR. X
10/4/2017 3:31 PM

I would incorporate some kind of steel top work surface as well as a vice. Cutting torch ?

MR. X MR. X
10/4/2017 4:47 PM

Also, I'll check my stash spot , I might have some really trick hooks/hangers . We'll call it even for the oil can you gave me.

Squidward Squidward
10/4/2017 6:18 PM

Btw, If you haven't changed the break in oil yet, I would check it out. Ive seen numerous times where guys have changed it in their bobcats and the craps like water. Not sure if they're still running the same stuff, but if they are its total garbage.

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/4/2017 6:31 PM
Squidward wrote:

Miller Bobcat 250 is my ...more

The 250 will do tig, mig, stick and doubles as a badass generator. IIRC it will do 90 amps @ 120v. I do have a '96 ChassisCab 5.9 dually with a flat bed on it, but use it for trailers and hay. (Trying to sweet talk Newmann into doing his magic and painting the cab for me )

Photo

Heres a few more of that trailer

Photo

Photo

"We don't rent pigs."

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/4/2017 6:35 PM
MR. X wrote:

I would incorporate some ...more

You read my mind, I was gonna try to add in a small work surface and vice also somewhere.

The guy who had this trailer said he kept his bottles up front behind the big tool box. Still thinking on wheres the best place to put 'em.

"We don't rent pigs."

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/4/2017 6:38 PM
Squidward wrote:

Btw, If you haven't ...more

Thanks for the reminder. Ive only got a few hours on it so far, but was told to keep an eye on it at first and change it in 50 hours. Sure sounds like a long time to leave that stuff in there, ya know?

"We don't rent pigs."

MR. X MR. X
10/4/2017 6:39 PM

Maybe do something with piece of angle iron across the top of the trailer bumper , have the V facing up ,it would make a nice jig in case you have to butt weld some tubing together and have it relatively straight.

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/4/2017 6:47 PM
MR. X wrote:

Maybe do something with ...more

Excellent idea, thanks. Will for sure do that !

"We don't rent pigs."

Hut Hut
10/4/2017 8:08 PM

Here is the Big Blue very basic setup we used a few years ago along the coal conveyor. Worked fine there as our leads were were always strung out hundreds of feet up in the steel.
Photo

Squidward Squidward
10/4/2017 8:54 PM

Haha, love the truck man. And if I had cash I would definitely score me a miller bobcat 250. Hope ya have lots of fun with that thing

KMC440 KMC440
10/4/2017 10:36 PM
MR. X wrote:

Maybe do something with ...more

I was thinking this as well except putting female receivers on the trailer corners and have flat and v topped posts to slide in them. The over head rack is great, just put it high enough to clear your head like Gibby said.

MR. X MR. X
10/5/2017 3:05 AM

I had a couple thoughts last night , spot to hold fuel can,Fire extinguisher . On the tube welding jig , maybe do 2 pieces of angle iron instead of one and weld risers underneath, leave a gap between the 2 so you can get tacks all the way around the tube ,otherwise the initial weld won't allow the tubing to sit flat in the V anymore.

scooter5002 scooter5002
10/5/2017 3:43 AM

Install the tarp for the shade, and it looks like a portable picanic table, to hold random drinking sessions. The welder just makes it look legit, and I assume to provide power for the big screen and fridge. You might fool the wife, Bobby, but you ain't foolin' ol' scooter. You Texakins.

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/5/2017 4:39 AM
KMC440 wrote:

I was thinking this as ...more

Great idea on the receivers! I guess a person could put the vice on a reciever mount so it could be moved to different places / corners?

Gibby is right on the head clearance, will keep that part in mind as well.

"We don't rent pigs."

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/5/2017 4:44 AM
MR. X wrote:

I had a couple thoughts ...more

Dang, I totally did not even think of the fire extinguisher, excellent idea. That is a must !

Youre right on the tubing thing with only one tack/weld on the side. Trying to visualize what you mean to remedy that, lemme get some coffee down and see if my brain can understand in a few hours.

"We don't rent pigs."

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/5/2017 4:50 AM
scooter5002 wrote:

Install the tarp for the ...more

Almost has to be a place for a 75-qt ice chest, right? whistling

If I can put a few lawn chairs & rod holders on, you may have just invented the worlds first dual sport welding/fishing rig. grin

"We don't rent pigs."

MR. X MR. X
10/5/2017 5:26 AM
Photo
Here ya go , and obviously put legs under the angle iron so you can get underneath. You'll be able to weld all the way around this way .
JAFO92 JAFO92
10/5/2017 5:50 AM
MR. X wrote:
Here ya go , and ...more

That makes perfect sense. Thanks man!

"We don't rent pigs."

scooter5002 scooter5002
10/5/2017 5:56 AM

X, shouldn't those butting edges be beveled, for penetration? Well, in Bobby's case, we know it won't be DEEP, but still........

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/5/2017 6:09 AM
scooter5002 wrote:

X, shouldn't those butting ...more

Hardy-har-har Norton. tongue

I admit upfront my welding work sucks, but it does hold up and Ive got two good l-head grinders !

Photo

"We don't rent pigs."

MR. X MR. X
10/5/2017 6:15 AM
scooter5002 wrote:

X, shouldn't those butting ...more

I guess they should be , honestly I'm not even sure why that was tubing was in our work area ,we don't even use it over here. It's looks WAY better then the drawing I did to illustrate my thought.

newmann newmann
10/5/2017 8:51 AM

This rig is growing. Now, about that BBQ Pit, where does it fit on here?

JAFO92 JAFO92
10/5/2017 8:56 AM
newmann wrote:

This rig is growing. Now, ...more

Right ! Oh, and dont forget cupholders. 'Merica

"We don't rent pigs."

scooter5002 scooter5002
10/5/2017 9:36 AM

Bobby welding.
Photo
Bobby fixing his welds.
Photo
Bobby's old welding shop.
Photo
Bobby's newer welding shop.
Photo
Bobby's newest welding shop. See page 1.

imoto34 imoto34
10/5/2017 9:54 AM

Don't forget to add a little plazma and torch setup. Jealous of your welder, congrats! That is a bad mofo

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry