Tesla pickup truck

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
Edited Date/Time 7/31/2019 4:23pm
I've heard rumblings about this before, but this article sounds hopeful that the truck will happen and be under $50k
https://insideevs.com/news/352610/tesla-pickup-truck-price-musk/
|
Shawn142
6/9/2019 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2019 2:39pm
Tesla is so far behind it'll be a decade before you see this thing. They have the Model Y, Roadster, and 18-wheeler all to build and produce before working on this truck.

I also wouldn't give any trust in that price either. Tesla has now completely abandoned the 35k version of the Model 3 after using that to sell the vehicle on the first place. Those who are on the waiting list for that version are being heavily persuaded to buy a more upgraded version they are already producing or face an ever increasing lead time to get their cars.
TXDirt
6/9/2019 3:10pm
I’m not saying no, but not saying yes either. The design is fine, good concept. But Tesla is being managed my Musk and Musk is a great thinker, but fails pretty bad on execution. He’s pretty much missed every mark he’s set with Tesla. I believe the spaceship company has been successful because he’s been preoccupied with Tesla. I don’t think Musk even likes running day to day operations. I’m a bit surprised he doesn’t give control to someone else now so he can move onto the next idea he comes up with.
XXVoid MainXX
6/9/2019 3:21pm
This monstrosity appears to be right on track. Amazing how fast it is going up:

APLMAN99
6/9/2019 4:28pm
Shawn142 wrote:
Tesla is so far behind it'll be a decade before you see this thing. They have the Model Y, Roadster, and 18-wheeler all to build and...
Tesla is so far behind it'll be a decade before you see this thing. They have the Model Y, Roadster, and 18-wheeler all to build and produce before working on this truck.

I also wouldn't give any trust in that price either. Tesla has now completely abandoned the 35k version of the Model 3 after using that to sell the vehicle on the first place. Those who are on the waiting list for that version are being heavily persuaded to buy a more upgraded version they are already producing or face an ever increasing lead time to get their cars.
I think that they'll have enough engineers to work on all those projects, along with upgrading their current models.......

They were working on the semi long before they announced the project, and had prototypes actually hauling product practically right after the announcement. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've tested several "generations" of Tesla pickups disguised with current sheet metal from other pickup manufacturers.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
6/9/2019 4:39pm
Shawn142 wrote:
Tesla is so far behind it'll be a decade before you see this thing. They have the Model Y, Roadster, and 18-wheeler all to build and...

APLMAN99 wrote:
I think that they'll have enough engineers to work on all those projects, along with upgrading their current models....... They were working on the semi long...
I think that they'll have enough engineers to work on all those projects, along with upgrading their current models.......

They were working on the semi long before they announced the project, and had prototypes actually hauling product practically right after the announcement. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've tested several "generations" of Tesla pickups disguised with current sheet metal from other pickup manufacturers.
I know where I live is not the norm, but damn, Teslas are everywhere and I'd buy a truck version in a heartbeat.
Shawn142
6/9/2019 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2019 6:49pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
I think that they'll have enough engineers to work on all those projects, along with upgrading their current models....... They were working on the semi long...

There is a huge leap between a test vehicle and a production line pumping out a road worthy product. That is always the biggest problem with Tesla. The Model X was delayed for years because of the falcon wing door design in a production environment. I am a fan of the company, I think Elon is a visionary. As someone who has worked for him in the past his companies don't always stick the landing with his ambitious goals and dates.
SEEMEFIRST
6/9/2019 7:20pm
No!
At the ranch I leave my shit running with the A/C on blast when I'm in and out of the truck.

Wouldn't work.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/9/2019 7:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2019 7:35pm
Shawn142 wrote:

APLMAN99 wrote:

avidchimp wrote:
I know where I live is not the norm, but damn, Teslas are everywhere and I'd buy a truck version in a heartbeat.
Same here in San Diego Co. and also when I venture into OC.

Tesla’s are all over the place. It used to be rare to see one, not now. I have 3 clients with them and they all rave about the quality/reliability

If the production version looks anything like this pic I’d buy it in a second. Has a very beefy look to it
RONJ OSE
6/9/2019 8:36pm
Look Tesla smh oh I drive electric, I don’t care
Gas cars are faster for the same price
On trucks I just say Ram ECODIESEL and we should not look any further
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
6/10/2019 7:07am
Tesla can offer the "Bernie Sanders Edition" pick-up truck...
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/10/2019 11:56am
I'd buy one if it had a functional bed and comparable specs (power, range, etc.)

I think the author of the article was synthesizing information, but somewhere in there he quotes Elon as saying it could tow up to 300,000 pounds. (?????) Even if that's a typo and should be 30,000 pounds, it's pretty amazing. Of course, just because a motor can pull that much doesn't mean you should use a standard road-going vehicle to do it with.

Still, imagine pulling a loaded trailer up a slippery boat launch with an electric truck. That's the perfect application for this kind of propulsion.
SEE ARE125
6/10/2019 12:10pm
Falcon wrote:
I'd buy one if it had a functional bed and comparable specs (power, range, etc.) I think the author of the article was synthesizing information, but...
I'd buy one if it had a functional bed and comparable specs (power, range, etc.)

I think the author of the article was synthesizing information, but somewhere in there he quotes Elon as saying it could tow up to 300,000 pounds. (?????) Even if that's a typo and should be 30,000 pounds, it's pretty amazing. Of course, just because a motor can pull that much doesn't mean you should use a standard road-going vehicle to do it with.

Still, imagine pulling a loaded trailer up a slippery boat launch with an electric truck. That's the perfect application for this kind of propulsion.
300,000lbs is probably correct, but misleading. The Tundra towed a spaceship that weighed 292,000lbs. That’s the WEIGHT, not the resistance. Two different things. The resistance of something weighing 300,000lbs that’s on free rolling wheels on a hard level surface is 15,000lbs. It’s the same reason you can put a 3,000lb car in neutral and push it. Although you’re moving a 3,000lb car, the resistance you have to overcome is only 150lbs.
mx617
6/10/2019 12:11pm
Falcon wrote:
I'd buy one if it had a functional bed and comparable specs (power, range, etc.) I think the author of the article was synthesizing information, but...

300K lbs isn't unheard of. Toyota did their space shuttle tow a few years back, and every so often one truck company or another does a plane pull stunt. Just drop it in low gear and away you go.
APLMAN99
6/10/2019 12:46pm
APLMAN99 wrote:

Shawn142 wrote:
There is a huge leap between a test vehicle and a production line pumping out a road worthy product. That is always the biggest problem with...
There is a huge leap between a test vehicle and a production line pumping out a road worthy product. That is always the biggest problem with Tesla. The Model X was delayed for years because of the falcon wing door design in a production environment. I am a fan of the company, I think Elon is a visionary. As someone who has worked for him in the past his companies don't always stick the landing with his ambitious goals and dates.
I certainly wouldn't bet everything on any deadline that Musk sets, but the notion that they aren't working on many different projects at once is what I was referring to. I'll guarantee that there is a team working on the truck right now, and that they won't just be starting their development process when they "complete" those other projects. I would be willing to bet that it'll be less than a decade, although I am pretty sure that you were just being hyperbolic with that...….

Cool
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
6/10/2019 12:59pm
Shawn142 wrote:

You want to bet on it being a decade before it comes out?
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
6/10/2019 1:04pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
No!
At the ranch I leave my shit running with the A/C on blast when I'm in and out of the truck.

Wouldn't work.
The a/c running all day in a Tesla should be no concern. Put it this way, the battery pack in my Tesla stores the equivalent energy to 4 full days of my home’s power needs. Tesla actually has a cabin overheat option where the interior never exceeds 105°. The a/c running all day on a Tesla might consume 20-30 miles of range or 5 to 10 percent of the pack.
SEEMEFIRST
6/10/2019 3:27pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
No!

Wouldn't work.
tcannon521 wrote:
The a/c running all day in a Tesla should be no concern. Put it this way, the battery pack in my Tesla stores the equivalent energy...
The a/c running all day in a Tesla should be no concern. Put it this way, the battery pack in my Tesla stores the equivalent energy to 4 full days of my home’s power needs. Tesla actually has a cabin overheat option where the interior never exceeds 105°. The a/c running all day on a Tesla might consume 20-30 miles of range or 5 to 10 percent of the pack.
Huh. I had no idea.
Cool, thanks.
Shawn142
6/10/2019 3:36pm
Shawn142 wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
Sure, call me up in a freaking decade and let me know how it turned out.
APLMAN99
6/11/2019 11:42am
Shawn142 wrote:

tcannon521 wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
Sure, call me up in a freaking decade and let me know how it turned out.
If progress happens anything like the previous decade or so, it'll have turned out pretty damn well.

Just under 11 years and 3 months ago, Tesla began regular production of their first model. Claiming it'll take them another 10 to begin production on something that they've already been working on is just being silly, obviously.

The real question is when will they reveal a true prototype. For the Model S and the Model X, it was approximately 39 and 43 months between prototype and actual production. For the Model 3 it was a little over 15 months between the reveal of the proto and actual production. Those are pretty decent time frames, even if they did perhaps miss their own estimated release dates.
JAFO92
6/11/2019 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 12:52pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
300,000lbs is probably correct, but misleading. The Tundra towed a spaceship that weighed 292,000lbs. That’s the WEIGHT, not the resistance. Two different things. The resistance of...
300,000lbs is probably correct, but misleading. The Tundra towed a spaceship that weighed 292,000lbs. That’s the WEIGHT, not the resistance. Two different things. The resistance of something weighing 300,000lbs that’s on free rolling wheels on a hard level surface is 15,000lbs. It’s the same reason you can put a 3,000lb car in neutral and push it. Although you’re moving a 3,000lb car, the resistance you have to overcome is only 150lbs.
SBC-350 with double-hump heads, Turbo-400 3-speed and big ole Rochester Quadrajet !

https://youtu.be/LL4OeiMjvtk
SEE ARE125
6/11/2019 1:04pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
300,000lbs is probably correct, but misleading. The Tundra towed a spaceship that weighed 292,000lbs. That’s the WEIGHT, not the resistance. Two different things. The resistance of...
JAFO92 wrote:
SBC-350 with double-hump heads, Turbo-400 3-speed and big ole Rochester Quadrajet !

https://youtu.be/LL4OeiMjvtk
Now I want to watch him tow it downhill. Laughing
XXVoid MainXX
6/11/2019 3:08pm
TSLA annual shareholders meeting going on right now. Future is bright.
XXVoid MainXX
6/11/2019 3:27pm
Elon just said that he thinks they'll have the pickup event around the end of summer. But, that's Elon time I'm sure.
RONJ OSE
6/11/2019 4:08pm
This Tesla truck is going to be a ridge line
No one likes them and They will be for the the happy home owner!
Funny story saw a guy a homedepot and he loaded bales of pine straw into gas back seat as he a a bed cover on and didn’t want to fold it
SEE ARE125
6/11/2019 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 4:39pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
This Tesla truck is going to be a ridge line No one likes them and They will be for the the happy home owner! Funny story...
Funny story saw a guy a homedepot and he loaded bales of pine straw into gas back seat as he a a bed cover on and didn’t want to fold it
You know trains that haul hundreds of tons of cargo on railcars are electric right? A diesel will not touch an electric vehicle when it comes to torque. I’ve either owned or driven almost every diesel made from a 12valve Cummins to an N14, Detroit, CAT. Electric is where it’s at for towing. Here’s a Tesla semi getting on an on ramp. Granted, he’s probably empty, but I’ve driven a lot of semis and a diesel one isn’t going to accelerate like that even running bobtail.

Now, the Tesla might end up being a “too fancy for work” pickup, I’ll give you that. Time will tell if the chassis is built like a real truck, or if it’s just a Model X with a lift kit and a bed on the back. But to think your Ecodiesel is going to out tow an equivalent electric truck is laughable.
6/11/2019 5:16pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
Look Tesla smh oh I drive electric, I don’t care Gas cars are faster for the same price On trucks I just say Ram ECODIESEL and...
Surely you jest.
RONJ OSE
6/11/2019 5:30pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
Look Tesla smh oh I drive electric, I don’t care Gas cars are faster for the same price On trucks I just say Ram ECODIESEL and...
Surely you jest.
Yes, but there are faster gas vehicles
RONJ OSE
6/11/2019 5:35pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
This Tesla truck is going to be a ridge line No one likes them and They will be for the the happy home owner! Funny story...
SEE ARE125 wrote:
You know trains that haul hundreds of tons of cargo on railcars are electric right? A diesel will not touch an electric vehicle when it comes...
You know trains that haul hundreds of tons of cargo on railcars are electric right? A diesel will not touch an electric vehicle when it comes to torque. I’ve either owned or driven almost every diesel made from a 12valve Cummins to an N14, Detroit, CAT. Electric is where it’s at for towing. Here’s a Tesla semi getting on an on ramp. Granted, he’s probably empty, but I’ve driven a lot of semis and a diesel one isn’t going to accelerate like that even running bobtail.

Now, the Tesla might end up being a “too fancy for work” pickup, I’ll give you that. Time will tell if the chassis is built like a real truck, or if it’s just a Model X with a lift kit and a bed on the back. But to think your Ecodiesel is going to out tow an equivalent electric truck is laughable.
What’s the battery range???
Would love to see an electric 1500 vs a new eco diesel on maybe a 1,000 mile loop then some tow tests
I understand the electric thing was was just screwing with y’all but what’s the reality of electric semis and trucks?
What construction company/ landscape or what, who ever are going to buy these are not going to be happy charging every 300 miles
Don’t fret over what I said I was screwing with you guys
APLMAN99
6/11/2019 5:46pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
SEE ARE125 wrote:
You know trains that haul hundreds of tons of cargo on railcars are electric right? A diesel will not touch an electric vehicle when it comes...

RONJ OSE wrote:
What’s the battery range??? Would love to see an electric 1500 vs a new eco diesel on maybe a 1,000 mile loop then some tow tests...
What’s the battery range???
Would love to see an electric 1500 vs a new eco diesel on maybe a 1,000 mile loop then some tow tests
I understand the electric thing was was just screwing with y’all but what’s the reality of electric semis and trucks?
What construction company/ landscape or what, who ever are going to buy these are not going to be happy charging every 300 miles
Don’t fret over what I said I was screwing with you guys
A landscape company is going to have difficulty charging every 300 miles? Really?

As for the long haul stuff, Tesla is claiming 500 miles of range, so they aren't as far out of contention as it may seem.

Post a reply to: Tesla pickup truck

The Latest