Related:
Create New Tag
TXDirt TXDirt
7/31/2019 5:46 PM

We are headed to Branson, Missouri next weekend. Rented a place on VRBO. Any tips from anyone on things to do? I’m more or less looking for the off the path ideas. Will be spending a half day fishing somewhere. I kinda know the touristy attractions so just looking for anything else maybe cool to do or places to eat. We are just going for a few days and if we like it then will do a longer stay in a bigger cabin. This is sort of a scouting trip for a few days. Hiking, Fishing, outdoors stuff, etc.

Gworm Gworm
8/1/2019 7:21 AM

I live about 45 min away from Branson, and have never been a big fan. Every few years we might go to Stealyer Dollar City for the Christmas lights, but last time we went it took an hour to find a parking place. Once we got in, there were so many people you couldn't even walk, so we turned around and left.

Having said that, I think Johnny Morris' Top of the Rock would be cool. And I just Binged Branson attractions, and saw a Veterans Memorial Museum and a place called Fritz's Adventure we may need to take the grandkids to.

Sorry I'm not more help.

2smokertillend 2smokertillend
8/1/2019 10:51 AM

I leave STL and head out there every couple of years. I just get a cabin on Table Rock Lake and chill. Seems last time I was there, lots of restaurants are closed.

TXDirt TXDirt
8/2/2019 4:07 AM

Thanks both. Will let you know if we find/do anything cool. Mostly looking for some outdoor type stuff. We are staying on the out skirts of Branson a bit. Probably 10-20 minutes away is my best guess. Closer to the far far north area of table rock lake.

jap114 jap114
8/2/2019 6:25 AM
TXDirt wrote:

Thanks both. Will let you ...more

Give me a little more detail on where you're staying (resort, closest "city", etc.) and I may have some ideas. We own a house on TRL, but we're on the other end of the lake in the Lampe area.

jap114 jap114
8/2/2019 6:39 AM
2smokertillend wrote:

I leave STL and head out ...more

Some of those restaurants closed might have been due to the tornado circa: 2012. It's been long enough most are now open, although there is still a steady flow of one closing and a new, but different, one opening in its place.

If you haven't been for a few years there's a quite a few new attractions catering to a younger crowd (giant ferris wheel, zip lines, aerodome, mountain coasters, climbing walls, etc.) and a slow migration away from the stereotype of Branson being music shows only.

el moto diablo el moto diablo
8/2/2019 7:10 AM
TXDirt TXDirt
8/2/2019 7:24 AM
TXDirt wrote:

jap114 wrote:

Give me a little more ...more

I think it’s called the Cottage at Notch. Here is a screenshot of general location. This is just a rental on VRBO.

We would likely get a bigger place in the fall/winter. Do you guys rent out your place on VRBO or Airbnb?

We want to get a feel for Branson. Mostly the outdoor stuff. Obviously Silver Dollar city looks interesting. That’s a lot more touristy and $$$. Tickets to the amusement park area very expensive. The Christmas light stuff looks cool and we would certainly do that if we were in town over the holidays.

I want to get the kids doing some outdoor stuff. Hiking, fishing, sight seeing, etc. Not much of that available in Dallas. Not sure Branson is even the right area for what I’m looking for. Trying to keep driving distance within reason. It’s a 6 hour drive. So I’m willing to drive pretty much anywhere within a 4-6 hour radius of Plano.

Thought I’d give Branson a visit.

Photo

jap114 jap114
8/5/2019 11:05 AM
TXDirt wrote:

jap114 wrote:

Give me a little more ...more

TXDirt wrote:

I think it’s called the ...more

Didn't mean to leave you hanging on this!

We don't rent or VRBO - We don't have an HOA but stone county where we live has some regulations that make it difficult to do without bending/stretching/breaking their regulations.

Here's some things to come to mind based on your comment about outdoors & the kids:
Roaring River State Park - near Cassville - One of the go-to places in the state for trout fishing. You have to buy permits but you fish from the bank so no need for the high dollar fly rods, waders, etc, you just have to get the proper baits for the finicky trout! BUT, for free - they have an on-site fish hatchery and a short trail that leads back into the mouth of cave which is kinda' cool.

Shepard of the Hill Fish Hatchery - below Table Rock Lake Dam - See the fish, see the dam, see the start of Taneycomo lake!!

Henning Conservation Area, which is between you and Branson, has a hiking trail. I've not been there but hear good things about it.

Pilot Knob Conservation Area, south of Shell Knob. Another hiking opportunity. Haven't been there but a neighbor has and used it as part of his recovery from a lung transplant. Great views from top.

Promised Land Zoo/Safari Park - near Eagle Rock. Drive thru park similar to Arbuckle (which I'm assuming you know of!). Been there and they also have a new one in Branson now. They do charge admission.

You mention Silver Dollar City. Gworm nailed it on his comments about the crowds. The lights are amazing but to enjoy the visit you really have to work hard to go when everyone else isn't! It's a royal PITA trying to go when the weather is decent, a weekend, or during the holiday lights period. Two tricks - one, buy season passes (if you plan on going more than once) so you're not pressured to try and see everything at once (like the 20,000 other people in the park), and two, go when its colder than crap. Best time we ever had was going on Thanksgiving day when it was 32 degrees as we were walking in!

TXDirt TXDirt
8/5/2019 11:23 AM

^^^^ thanks man! Really appreciate the tips!

Gworm Gworm
8/5/2019 11:31 AM

Just a note on Roaring River, we were there a couple of weeks ago with grandkids... you can still fish, but the hatchery is being rebuilt and a lot of that area is off limits.

Dirty Britches Dirty Britches
8/5/2019 12:59 PM

Beware of the timeshare peddlers.
I went to college in Springfield and had a good friend that worked at Silver Dollar City as an entertainer. A group of us college friends went there all the time for free. Good times back in the day.
Dixie Stampede. It's the go to tourist thing in Branson, but I don't care, it was a fun night with the family.

Nascarnick Nascarnick
8/5/2019 2:03 PM

Make the drive north about 40 minutes to Bass Pro in Springfield...the aquarium is top notch!!! Racing museum and wildlife display are bad*ss too. I live in between Branson and Springfield and we have season passes...its that cool. I have a 3 and a 6 yr old and they dig it.

TXDirt TXDirt
8/11/2019 11:51 AM

Thanks for the tips and suggestions folks. We just got back.

We stayed at a place called Notch which is about a mile from Silver Dollar City. Worked our perfect for us as there were a few trails there and a nice trail of about 10-15 minutes that we could take to a private 5 acre lake. Was perfect for the kids as they caught a ton of sun fish and blue gills ad I even caught a few bass.

We did not go to Silver Dollar City. Expensive and pretty crowded. The touristy part of Branson was pretty run down and old. We didn't do anything in that area.

Thanks for recommending the fish hatchery below the damn. That was really cool and we walked right up to the river and it was just amazing! Picturesque!

On our way home stopped by Top of the Rock (?) and the Big Cedar Lodge. I guess that is on the other side of the lake? Anyways, it was incredible. That place rivaled anything I have ever seen. The lodge, the grounds, the cabins. All first rate. Fishing, golf, shooting, go-carts, etc etc etc....We definitely want to stay there some day. Blown away by it.

On the way home we stopped by Eureka Springs and went to the Christ of the Ozarks which was really cool. Took some photos there and prayed together as a family. Cool place and glad we stopped.

The Missouri/Arkansas area was really awesome! We can't wait to go back and do some more outdoor type stuff.

huck huck
8/12/2019 8:12 AM
TXDirt wrote:

Thanks for the tips and ...more

Top of the Rock is amazing. Next time you'll have to do the golf cart tour through the caves. It's cool as hell. It's amazing what that man did, just from selling fishing lures in a grocery store...

Not sure if you're into mtn. biking, but Eureka is dumping a bunch of money into expanding mtn. biking there. I've heard that they have some pretty cool down hill courses and some top notch "groomed" trails as well.

The message posted above is most likely my opinion and shouldn't be taken as fact....

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry