Thoughts on a limited reopen?

borg
Edited Date/Time 5/7/2020 12:45pm
It seems like open spaces like parks and golf courses could re open. People are afraid enough and now trained on SD. Machine shops, and similar businesses where people aren't nuts to butts could test for fever and obvious symptoms, require masks and have disinfecting wipes on hand. It seems that antibody tests will be available fairly soon so that people with immunity can move freely. If you're waiting for a vaccine be prepared to hunker down for another year at least. They should quit talking about it since it's not going to help the situation right now and we cannot wait for it.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/16/2020 8:14am
Here's what's going to happen:
They will sound the "all clear" to reopen or do so partially, the virus will come roaring back, and then we'll be on lockdown again until the cases wane. Then they'll reopen and the cycle will repeat.
I have a feeling this virus will be a common part of life from now on, just like the flu.
OldPro277
4/16/2020 8:33am
As much as I'd like to see the economy re-open (we auto dealers in Pa have been completely shut down since March 20) I'm just not certain its the right move yet. I feel a "resurgence" would be even more devastating than the original outbreak in both health areas and the economy.

One thing is definitely certain--- I'd hate to be the one that had to make that decision.
jeffro503
4/16/2020 8:39am
Falcon wrote:
Here's what's going to happen: They will sound the "all clear" to reopen or do so partially, the virus will come roaring back, and then we'll...
Here's what's going to happen:
They will sound the "all clear" to reopen or do so partially, the virus will come roaring back, and then we'll be on lockdown again until the cases wane. Then they'll reopen and the cycle will repeat.
I have a feeling this virus will be a common part of life from now on, just like the flu.
Well......a point to consider is , did H1N1 , SARS or MERS become normal and we have to deal with them every year , like the Flu? I don't believe we do , and I don't believe we got a vaccine for any of them.

I think we all need to stay on the offensive for a while on distancing and so forth. But places like parks , beech's , trails , and some business's should be re-opened...... carefully.

Here in Oregon , I see most business's stayed open , with some using just a skeleton crew. We'll have a hole to dig out of , but I personally don't think it's going to be as bad as what some predicted.
Kenny Lingus
4/16/2020 9:12am
jeffro503 wrote:
Well......a point to consider is , did H1N1 , SARS or MERS become normal and we have to deal with them every year , like the...
Well......a point to consider is , did H1N1 , SARS or MERS become normal and we have to deal with them every year , like the Flu? I don't believe we do , and I don't believe we got a vaccine for any of them.

I think we all need to stay on the offensive for a while on distancing and so forth. But places like parks , beech's , trails , and some business's should be re-opened...... carefully.

Here in Oregon , I see most business's stayed open , with some using just a skeleton crew. We'll have a hole to dig out of , but I personally don't think it's going to be as bad as what some predicted.
H1N1 is the flu. Commonly called the swine flu. Yes we deal with it every year and yes there is a vaccine.

The Shop

BMSOBx2
4/16/2020 9:39am
A common sense approach to reopen would be great.
Common Sense based on what? Testing, science, data or political expediency? I'm not optimistic.
Kenny Lingus
4/16/2020 9:45am
A common sense approach to reopen would be great.
BMSOBx2 wrote:
Common Sense based on what? Testing, science, data or political expediency? I'm not optimistic.
Hahaha. That's why I said it would be great. But yeah I'm not optimistic either. I've lost faith in humanity from the top down.
APLMAN99
4/16/2020 10:07am
borg wrote:
It seems like open spaces like parks and golf courses could re open. People are afraid enough and now trained on SD. Machine shops, and similar...
It seems like open spaces like parks and golf courses could re open. People are afraid enough and now trained on SD. Machine shops, and similar businesses where people aren't nuts to butts could test for fever and obvious symptoms, require masks and have disinfecting wipes on hand. It seems that antibody tests will be available fairly soon so that people with immunity can move freely. If you're waiting for a vaccine be prepared to hunker down for another year at least. They should quit talking about it since it's not going to help the situation right now and we cannot wait for it.
I think that "they" have to determine if there is, in fact, lasting immunity after someone recovers. Still sounds like some debate on that, not sure what the current beliefs are.

If the governors "open up" things without a vaccine, which I agree with you is sort of a pipe dream right now, it's going to be a lot of hit-and-miss stuff. For a lot of things I think it makes sense to relax some of the directives. Fishing? Sounds silly to ban that, etc.

To me the most difficult thing to return back to "normal" is going to be dining and drinking establishments. There's just no way to wear a mask and eat/drink at a packed restaurant. I am just not sure how that snaps back quite the way I wish it would.
JPT
4/16/2020 10:20am
OldPro277 wrote:
As much as I'd like to see the economy re-open (we auto dealers in Pa have been completely shut down since March 20) I'm just not...
As much as I'd like to see the economy re-open (we auto dealers in Pa have been completely shut down since March 20) I'm just not certain its the right move yet. I feel a "resurgence" would be even more devastating than the original outbreak in both health areas and the economy.

One thing is definitely certain--- I'd hate to be the one that had to make that decision.
I agree completely. Open too soon wouldn' t save the economy, it would devastate it.
4/16/2020 10:33am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 10:34am
It is necessary. I’m of the mind that it’s best to just gas it. WFO for the states past the peak. At some point the majority of people will require it from their represented officials.

And sue the shit out of the Chinese government for financial damages, etc. to the tune of a few trillion.
BMSOBx2
4/16/2020 10:34am
borg wrote:
It seems like open spaces like parks and golf courses could re open. People are afraid enough and now trained on SD. Machine shops, and similar...
APLMAN99 wrote:
I think that "they" have to determine if there is, in fact, lasting immunity after someone recovers. Still sounds like some debate on that, not sure...
I think that "they" have to determine if there is, in fact, lasting immunity after someone recovers. Still sounds like some debate on that, not sure what the current beliefs are.

If the governors "open up" things without a vaccine, which I agree with you is sort of a pipe dream right now, it's going to be a lot of hit-and-miss stuff. For a lot of things I think it makes sense to relax some of the directives. Fishing? Sounds silly to ban that, etc.

To me the most difficult thing to return back to "normal" is going to be dining and drinking establishments. There's just no way to wear a mask and eat/drink at a packed restaurant. I am just not sure how that snaps back quite the way I wish it would.
Add sports events and concerts to the list of those that won't snap back right away.
XXVoid MainXX
4/16/2020 10:43am
I never would have shut anything down in the first place. Wear a mask/bandana, cover your mouth when you cough, take extra cleaning/disinfecting procedures, wear your seat belt while you drive to work. All the Walmarts and Grocery Stores, Hardware stores, have been running business as usual though out this and they've not had any issues around here. My wife has been working 12 hours shifts at the Walmart every day since this started, except for the last few days she had to take off to get her appendix removed. The hospital was a ghost town.
JeremyK
4/16/2020 11:18am
Machine shops are open all across WNY , one of my buddies works at a pool place that never shut down ,the neighbors grass cutting crew stopped this week to cut . The only stipulation with lawn maintenance is you can't buy mulch. As of tomorrow you have to wear a mask if you go to a store or public transportation where you can't maintain your distance. I don't even own a mask ,i'll have to pull some cloth over my face if i go shopping i guess. Walmart shut down the garden department and the electronic department .
4/16/2020 11:30am
I never would have shut anything down in the first place. Wear a mask/bandana, cover your mouth when you cough, take extra cleaning/disinfecting procedures, wear your...
I never would have shut anything down in the first place. Wear a mask/bandana, cover your mouth when you cough, take extra cleaning/disinfecting procedures, wear your seat belt while you drive to work. All the Walmarts and Grocery Stores, Hardware stores, have been running business as usual though out this and they've not had any issues around here. My wife has been working 12 hours shifts at the Walmart every day since this started, except for the last few days she had to take off to get her appendix removed. The hospital was a ghost town.
I survive every flu season without getting the shot in busy ERs by just washing my hands, wearing a mask, and not being dumb. People should try it.

But we can't count on people being smart.
JeremyK
4/16/2020 11:35am
I never would have shut anything down in the first place. Wear a mask/bandana, cover your mouth when you cough, take extra cleaning/disinfecting procedures, wear your...
I survive every flu season without getting the shot in busy ERs by just washing my hands, wearing a mask, and not being dumb. People should...
I survive every flu season without getting the shot in busy ERs by just washing my hands, wearing a mask, and not being dumb. People should try it.

My buddy lives right in the epicenter of the NY problem ,he shops with no mask and hasn't gotten sick . He takes walks in the park with his family and groups of kids are playing basketball and tossing frisbees around . You just can't fix stupid.
motogrady
4/16/2020 11:51am
It is necessary. I’m of the mind that it’s best to just gas it. WFO for the states past the peak. At some point the majority...
It is necessary. I’m of the mind that it’s best to just gas it. WFO for the states past the peak. At some point the majority of people will require it from their represented officials.

And sue the shit out of the Chinese government for financial damages, etc. to the tune of a few trillion.
Agreed and not.

Open it up, but the mass stadiums things, I dunno about that.

As far as sueing China, that’s a waste of time.
Good way to start a WW3. Get paid in ICBMs

No, with China, we need to make a list of vital stuff we need as a nation. Medicines, textiles, energy, communications systems, steel and plastics factories, heck even auto and truck parts for example.

And then somehow build those industries back up here.

We gotta quit sucking the China tit.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
4/16/2020 12:11pm
motogrady wrote:
Agreed and not. Open it up, but the mass stadiums things, I dunno about that. As far as sueing China, that’s a waste of time. Good...
Agreed and not.

No, with China, we need to make a list of vital stuff we need as a nation. Medicines, textiles, energy, communications systems, steel and plastics factories, heck even auto and truck parts for example.

That last part is true , the corporations have sent production to China and other 3rd world nations to make more profit, I bet if ‘essentials’ have to be built on your own country there will be lobbyists lining up to cook the books on just what is and what isn’t
just James
4/16/2020 12:35pm
As the truckers say, let's put the hammer down. Elderly, sickly, and scared can "shelter in place". The rest of us can get on with the business of life.
Yeah, yeah, I've been called heartless before, and probably will be again.
borg
4/16/2020 2:58pm
I survive every flu season without getting the shot in busy ERs by just washing my hands, wearing a mask, and not being dumb. People should...

That's probably true but they will be the ones that get sick. Tough shit. Darwin baby.
Everybody I see is following the mask and distance guidelines. Unless there's something I'm missing, those two things alone should stop the spread until we have widespread testing and cases taper off to almost zero. I can deal with the mask for as long as it takes. If you stay away from people then you really don't need the mask but it keeps your fingers away from your mouth and nose until you can wash your hands.

I went to see a customer that makes medical packaging today. Mask and distance for everyone. Office included. 70 or so people and not one illness. At least flu related. I know it's anecdotal but it leads me to thinking it works.
71Fish
4/16/2020 5:06pm
Shutdown had no impact. Results would have been the same. Only difference is 3 years of financial gains wouldn't have been wiped away.
Foghorn
4/16/2020 5:32pm
Very true. Third world and developing nations with abundant and cheap labor will be the go to for some time yet. The Japan model was much the same until it wasn't. China, India and others will get their turn and as labor costs go up, so will the cost of goods. It will all even out some time in the next 100 years or so. People like low prices.
Ferro
4/16/2020 5:36pm
It is necessary. I’m of the mind that it’s best to just gas it. WFO for the states past the peak. At some point the majority...

Let me know how you get on with suing the Chinese. You think they would pay up, yeah me neither.
vetmxr
4/16/2020 6:22pm

Ferro wrote:
Let me know how you get on with suing the Chinese. You think they would pay up, yeah me neither.
Or we could just not pay them back the money that they "loaned" us.....and do something about them spying on our technology and taking it back home to kick our asses with our own stolen technology....
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
4/16/2020 7:19pm
motogrady wrote:
Agreed and not. Open it up, but the mass stadiums things, I dunno about that. As far as sueing China, that’s a waste of time. Good...
Agreed and not.

scott_nz wrote:
That last part is true , the corporations have sent production to China and other 3rd world nations to make more profit, I bet if ‘essentials’...
That last part is true , the corporations have sent production to China and other 3rd world nations to make more profit, I bet if ‘essentials’ have to be built on your own country there will be lobbyists lining up to cook the books on just what is and what isn’t
A major problem outside the normals like cost and skilled labor is America doesn’t have a lot of the needed elements to make high technology items. China has a lot or even all of certain elements they can mine that are required for modern gadgets.
chuck317
4/16/2020 7:34pm
JeremyK wrote:
Machine shops are open all across WNY , one of my buddies works at a pool place that never shut down ,the neighbors grass cutting crew...
Machine shops are open all across WNY , one of my buddies works at a pool place that never shut down ,the neighbors grass cutting crew stopped this week to cut . The only stipulation with lawn maintenance is you can't buy mulch. As of tomorrow you have to wear a mask if you go to a store or public transportation where you can't maintain your distance. I don't even own a mask ,i'll have to pull some cloth over my face if i go shopping i guess. Walmart shut down the garden department and the electronic department .
not in tenn. people buying tvs left and right at wally world
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
4/16/2020 8:04pm

Ferro wrote:
vetmxr wrote:
Or we could just not pay them back the money that they "loaned" us.....and do something about them spying on our technology and taking it back...
Or we could just not pay them back the money that they "loaned" us.....and do something about them spying on our technology and taking it back home to kick our asses with our own stolen technology....
Thats the spirit. What we need to follow up this clusterfuck is a good old fashioned world war between "super powers"

I'm not so sure you want to risk the result of that one
4/16/2020 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2020 8:50pm
I’m ok with it if people quit wearing gloves. All they do is cross contaminate everything they touch. Cover mouth. Wash hands. I’m absolutely avoiding Walmart because of this. Mom and pop grocery stores and PX/commissary’s are the most reasonable right now it seems compared to Walmart.

Everyone wearing gloves that isn’t taking care of a patient pisses me off. the mask In public is ridiculous too. Mandate everyone wear a mask because people can’t stay home and cough all over others. DUMB.

Hold your sneezes. Cough into your shoulder. Wash your hands. How hard is this concept ? Can’t fix stupid.

My favorite is when a patient sensationalizes themselves being sick. Can sit outside the room for 20 minutes charting. Walk in and when you get 1 foot away from them to push a med they look at you and COOIUGGHHHH HAAAACCKKK and moan.

Really? I just sat out here while you been finger bangin your phone / taking selfies / calling everyone to tell them you’re clearly dieing and was tested for the rona. And everytime a caregiver walks in then you wanna cough and hack all over ? WHY?!
Chance1216
4/16/2020 11:37pm
Returning to work and using common sense I think would be ideal for some situations. The problem is many don’t have common sense. I don’t think sporting events should happen yet due to the high density of people sharing amenities. At this point I could really care less about certain activities. I do believe people should have a means to support themselves. Sure as hell can’t rely on unemployment.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
4/17/2020 12:04am
we hopefully go down a level next week that will allow me to go back to work, still no retail non essentials, or bars/essentials open, drive through and prepared food delivery's available , (everyone has had to cook here, no hot food available) we have been in a pretty harsh lock down for 3 weeks now, and that is meant to end next Thursday,
also funerals and weddings with less than 10 people can take place,

we have a 4 level system, currently on 4, but no sports events will level 2, which may be another 6 months from when we go back to level 3, and level 2 only allows 100 people indoor, and 500 outdoor,

Post a reply to: Thoughts on a limited reopen?

The Latest