To the guys who fish.....Switching from Spinning reels to Baitcaster reels.

jeffro503
Edited Date/Time 7/23/2018 1:32pm
So.....non moto here on vital has always been my go to place for off the wall type subjects. It's been a long time since I've been into the fishing thing ( actually never been a hard core fisherman ). But the Bass fishing has kind of gotten my attention as of late. When I started back up I was using my dad's old spinning reals. Super easy to use , especially from a dock doing drop shot and random casting. But I discovered these newer baitcaster reels....and holy hell!

One thing I'm learning real quick , is that the old spinning reels were a lot easier to use.....but sloppy on precise casting , and kinda weak for retrieving. These batcaster reels ( although a pain in the ass! ).....so much smoother , more precise , and stronger then the spinning reels.

I'm trying to teach myself the proper way to cast " precisely " for bass fishing. I don't need to cast it out half way across the river for the bass , but I need to be precise on 30' - 75' casts , and set it in a small pocket. THIS.....is something new to me.......extremely fun , and very challenging! I have an old antifreeze jug setup about 60' away , and using it as a bullseye for my casting.

Tonight........I spent 3 hours strait doing this , and setting up my brakes ( from both sides....this is important! ) , and slinging that practice weight across my yard until I was smacking that bastard right in the middle! I find this extremely tough to do , without getting the rats nest / backlash from hell going on! But holy hell.....I'm getting better! I nailed the jug quite a few times , and even had one shot go through the handle on the jug! I was like " Hell yeah!! "

Anyways......you guys have any practice with the baitcaster reels? Bass fishing at all?

P.S.......never mind the dead spots in my yard. I got drunk a few weeks ago and went crazy with the weed kill.

|
newmann
6/18/2018 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/18/2018 8:04pm
My painter at work is hard core into fishing, out in his boat at a tournament nearly every weekend. It's as bad as MX when we used to be racing spring and fall series for years on end and fitting practice days in between. He actually picks up a few grand here and there along the way though where I always seemed to just be spending a few grand here and there.Laughing

Looking forward to some fish tales.

By the way, is that your burn pile next to the garage? I used to have a friend who had a burn pile next to his garage. Did I mention he used to have a garage?
jeffro503
6/18/2018 8:53pm
newmann wrote:
My painter at work is hard core into fishing, out in his boat at a tournament nearly every weekend. It's as bad as MX when we...
My painter at work is hard core into fishing, out in his boat at a tournament nearly every weekend. It's as bad as MX when we used to be racing spring and fall series for years on end and fitting practice days in between. He actually picks up a few grand here and there along the way though where I always seemed to just be spending a few grand here and there.Laughing

Looking forward to some fish tales.

By the way, is that your burn pile next to the garage? I used to have a friend who had a burn pile next to his garage. Did I mention he used to have a garage?
haha.....no , that isn't my burn pile. Up here in the NW , when something roots in , it grows fast! Sometimes catches you off guard. That was an area where I had 4 different rhododendron's growing last year , and they got so big I had to cut them down. Treating the stumps for removal so I can place a new 12' x 14' Tuff shed there....for more bike space!

I've been fishing on and off for years , but never really put much thought into it. And I know of a few areas where the bass are strong , so I wanted to learn how to catch them , more specifically in tough to reach areas. I went to a spot this past weekend , out in the middle of no where ( big marsh ). I had this super shallow part of the lake where these huge bass where just hanging out , like 10' in front of me eating bugs off the surface. And bass are super picky on what you use for bait / lure's and so forth......so I really wanted to learn how to get them.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
6/19/2018 5:58am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2018 6:04am
Awesome,Jeff!
Bass fishing is a fun sport.
If you ever have any questions hit me up.
I started bass fishing up that way back in the late 80's.
Used to do a lot tournament fishing too.
There's some good water up that way...everything from Small Mouth to Spotted Bass and even some Large mouth.
I've fished everything from all the Columbia pools from the lower Columbia up to the Handford Reach area.
Also the Willamette up & below the dam.
In Washington...Moses Lake & Potholes,Banks Lake,Lake Washington,Lacamas,Silver lake,Riffe lake.
In Oregon the John Day Res. to the coastal lakes like Ten Mile & Siltcoos.

Another good little fun practice lake about 45 minutes or so from the PDX area Moto Smith & I were hitting up back in 2016 in my old skeeter was Hagg Lake.
Hammering them on ned rigs & drop-shotting little gulp worms & minnows.

Now I live about an hour away from Kentucky Lake & Barkley.
Lot's of world class iconic lakes in this region within 8 to 10 hours from me too.
I still have all my gear - tons of tackle and about 30 G. Loomis rods lol.
Eventually I want to get another boat...

If you ever decide to buy a bass boat up that way Nixons Marine is the way to go.
The owner Jeff is a former MX'er from back in the 1970's I believe.
He's got a location in Walla Walla and another up I5 in Lakewood.
They've always got a lot of boats used & new.

MR. X
6/19/2018 6:26am
My favorite bass fishing is top water in the evening ,never gets old.

The Shop

Foghorn
6/19/2018 6:51am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2018 6:51am
I've been using baitcasting reels most of my life. I still have the Garcia Ambassadeur 4000D that I bought in 75. Still works great. I have a few other Ambassadeur models/sizes as I use them for everything from bass to walleye, pike and Lake Trout. They cast farther than a spinning reel as well and you don't get the line twist you get with a spinning reel. Learning to use your thumb or the thumb brake on your reel allows for excellent accuracy with a little practice. Casting with too light of a lure and too heavy of a line is what causes the dreaded backlash that affects a lot of those who don't have experience or are using a cheap reel. I've never had a backlash with a Garcia reel.
KMC440
6/19/2018 7:07am
Rear tire still looks good Whistling you must do well $$Grinning
IWreckALot
6/19/2018 7:11am
Are you casting side armed or overhead? Overhead is easier to get accurate, but harder to pitch under docks and brush.

Side arm, is more difficult to get accurate but works well for going under stuff. As a rule, I like to start releasing the spool roughly 50% between my backswing and where the target is.

The trick to keeping the backlash out (besides setting your drag properly) is to feather your thumb off the spool as you cast. When you drop your finger off real quick, it allows the spool to spin faster than the line which is what causes the backlash.
Foghorn
6/19/2018 8:15am
IWreckALot wrote:
Are you casting side armed or overhead? Overhead is easier to get accurate, but harder to pitch under docks and brush. Side arm, is more difficult...
Are you casting side armed or overhead? Overhead is easier to get accurate, but harder to pitch under docks and brush.

Side arm, is more difficult to get accurate but works well for going under stuff. As a rule, I like to start releasing the spool roughly 50% between my backswing and where the target is.

The trick to keeping the backlash out (besides setting your drag properly) is to feather your thumb off the spool as you cast. When you drop your finger off real quick, it allows the spool to spin faster than the line which is what causes the backlash.
On the better reels, a secondary clutch/drag is adjusted to the weight of the lure. This prevents having to use your thumb.
motosmith
6/19/2018 8:43am
FastEddy wrote:
Awesome,Jeff! Bass fishing is a fun sport. If you ever have any questions hit me up. I started bass fishing up that way back in the...
Awesome,Jeff!
There's some good water up that way...everything from Small Mouth to Spotted Bass and even some Large mouth.
I've fished everything from all the Columbia pools from the lower Columbia up to the Handford Reach area.
In Washington...Moses Lake & Potholes,Banks Lake,Lake Washington,Lacamas,Silver lake,Riffe lake.

Another good little fun practice lake about 45 minutes or so from the PDX area Moto Smith & I were hitting up back in 2016 in my old skeeter was Hagg Lake.

Lot's of world class iconic lakes in this region within 8 to 10 hours from me too.

If you ever decide to buy a bass boat up that way Nixons Marine is the way to go.

The Ned Rig is where its at. Smile
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
6/19/2018 9:56am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2018 9:58am
motosmith wrote:
Yep.
We caught a lot on drop shot too.
Crazy story...
Remember when I marinated those little Berkley twitch tail minnows in that Gulp marinade shad flavor.
You tried one and casted it out near lake river and a 4 and a half foot sturgeon hammered it.
I think you were using that light little loomis imx rod a I had ,it only had like 5lb Sugoi on it lol and little 2500 series reel lol. Took us close to 45 minutes or so to land it.
You still got the photo of it? That was pretty impressive.

Nighttrain
6/19/2018 10:31am
I moved from Atlanta to a barrier island near Charleston several years ago. Fishing changed from freshwater to salt marsh and surf fishing. Switching to braided lines was a huge upgrade. Jeffro, I’m still using spinning reels (Penn Spinfisher V’s). Many times I use fishing as a reason to be alone and outside. It’s good for your mind and catching redfish is just a bonus when it happens. Sheepheads, with those crazy teeth, are good in tacos.
motosmith
6/19/2018 10:48am
motosmith wrote:
FastEddy wrote:
Yep. We caught a lot on drop shot too. Crazy story... Remember when I marinated those little Berkley twitch tail minnows in that Gulp marinade shad...
Yep.
We caught a lot on drop shot too.
Crazy story...
Remember when I marinated those little Berkley twitch tail minnows in that Gulp marinade shad flavor.
You tried one and casted it out near lake river and a 4 and a half foot sturgeon hammered it.
I think you were using that light little loomis imx rod a I had ,it only had like 5lb Sugoi on it lol and little 2500 series reel lol. Took us close to 45 minutes or so to land it.
You still got the photo of it? That was pretty impressive.

Good times. I still have that photo kicking around somewhere.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/19/2018 11:30am
I've donated over 100 baitcasters over the years. Still have about that. 20 rods on my deck at all times. Lol learn to pitch and flip. Most guy's i fish with can pitch thier bait in a shot glass from a good distance. Half the fun of bass fishing is target casting. Presentation is everything.
Same old pics but good ones.

MR. X
6/19/2018 3:10pm
Are you guys eating those bass or just fertilizing the garden with them ? Any good recipes ?
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/19/2018 3:18pm
MR. X wrote:
Are you guys eating those bass or just fertilizing the garden with them ? Any good recipes ?
No i don't eat them, i just enjoy tournament fishing for bass. And after guiding for 22 years i still enjoy it.
MR. X
6/19/2018 3:43pm
MR. X wrote:
FLmxer wrote:
No i don't eat them, i just enjoy tournament fishing for bass. And after guiding for 22 years i still enjoy it.
I only eat bass when my father in law cooks it ,otherwise i won't bother , just toss them back . I'm actually gonna do up some walleye tonight . Gonna blow off work friday for walleye and hopefully my bucket list fish ,musky.
TXDirt
6/19/2018 4:04pm
Fishing reminds me in a lot of ways of dirt bikes.

You can suck at it and still have a good time no matter your experience level.

I LOVE to fish and have pretty much novice level knowledge of it as a sport. But I sure do enjoy the hell out of it. I catch my fair share. Some days don't even get a bite. Prefer river fishing over lake fishing. But will fish anywhere.

Wish I had more time with it.
MR. X
6/19/2018 6:46pm

The wife cooked up the walleye she caught on Sunday with her dad.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
6/20/2018 8:05am Edited Date/Time 6/20/2018 8:06am
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/269366/s1200_20180619_195521.jpg[/img] The wife cooked up the walleye she caught on Sunday with her dad.

Looks great! Its on my bucket list to catch and eat walleye.
TXDirt
6/20/2018 8:08am
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/06/19/269366/s1200_20180619_195521.jpg[/img] The wife cooked up the walleye she caught on Sunday with her dad.

What kind of fish fry is that?
MR. X
6/20/2018 8:51am
I do flour ,then egg wash and then coat in a 50/50 mix of corn meal and seasoned bread crumbs.
JRT812
6/20/2018 2:30pm
I brush up on my flipping doing something similar using pot then moving down to a cup. I take hooks off so it doesn’t snag anything. I keep saying I need to upgrade my bait casters, but my old Abu Garcia 5600’s just keep running. A little oil here and there and they’re like new
jeffro503
6/21/2018 10:11am
FastEddy wrote:
Awesome,Jeff! Bass fishing is a fun sport. If you ever have any questions hit me up. I started bass fishing up that way back in the...
Awesome,Jeff!

I totally forgot about you fishing for bass! Holy hell , I knew I should have came back and checked this thread sooner. I'd love to hook up Eddy and do some fishing with you one day if you still do it on and off?. Been trying to get as much advice and information as I can. Doing this target practice stuff is super fun to. I've arranged a couple other things out there ( and mowed my damn yard! ) and spent about 2 hours out there last night. I think I'm finally getting to the point of understanding setup on different weighted lures and so forth , and my accuracy is definitely getting better. Very few back-lashes at all and most are pretty minor when they do happen. Hitting it inside that 5 gallon bucket on the left is tough!

jeffro503
6/21/2018 10:13am
Running l;ate for work here , but will respond to the replies above in more detail when I get back.

Nice fish there FLmxer!!
jeffro503
6/21/2018 8:42pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Are you casting side armed or overhead? Overhead is easier to get accurate, but harder to pitch under docks and brush. Side arm, is more difficult...

Hey man.....I'm actually doing both , and for sure the overhead ( or 45 degree type cast ) is more accurate. Hard to practice that in my yard due to tree limbs kind of in the way.

Most everything here is tossed from the side , it's about all I can do. I am going to try and practice some of the more advanced type casts later , but for now I don't have much room here at the house. I thought this video below was really cool to watch. The guy does a really good job on explaining different techniques.

jeffro503
6/21/2018 8:46pm
Btw....I made a judgement call today. I'm taking most of the summer off from riding , because my heart just isn't into it. Going to try and learn as much as I can with the bass fishing , and just overall fishing in general. I need something else to keep me busy , since I have no desire to ride at the present time.
jeffro503
6/21/2018 8:54pm
TXDirt wrote:
Fishing reminds me in a lot of ways of dirt bikes. You can suck at it and still have a good time no matter your experience...
Fishing reminds me in a lot of ways of dirt bikes.

You can suck at it and still have a good time no matter your experience level.

I LOVE to fish and have pretty much novice level knowledge of it as a sport. But I sure do enjoy the hell out of it. I catch my fair share. Some days don't even get a bite. Prefer river fishing over lake fishing. But will fish anywhere.

Wish I had more time with it.
It is fun for sure TX! And I don't know much about it either , but that's what is making it interesting for me. I'm more of a lake , slough , small / large stream kind of guy. I have other interests in the water as well , such as catching Crawdad's. Been doing that my whole life and love it.

Thinking later this summer about getting a boat of some type , but it has to be an inflatable. I have no room for a boat and trailer here. And an inflatable would also serve me well in those smaller streams , and lakes with no boat ramp. We'll see how things go and I just follow my instinct.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
6/22/2018 9:09am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2018 9:15am
jeffro503 wrote:
I totally forgot about you fishing for bass! Holy hell , I knew I should have came back and checked this thread sooner. I'd love to...
I totally forgot about you fishing for bass! Holy hell , I knew I should have came back and checked this thread sooner. I'd love to hook up Eddy and do some fishing with you one day if you still do it on and off?. Been trying to get as much advice and information as I can. Doing this target practice stuff is super fun to. I've arranged a couple other things out there ( and mowed my damn yard! ) and spent about 2 hours out there last night. I think I'm finally getting to the point of understanding setup on different weighted lures and so forth , and my accuracy is definitely getting better. Very few back-lashes at all and most are pretty minor when they do happen. Hitting it inside that 5 gallon bucket on the left is tough!

Yeah - I still fish ,just don't have a boat at this time. Gonna get another one eventually.
I went over to Kentucky Lake just the other night for an hour and caught a few from the bank - best one was 3lbs.
If you ever make it down this way let me know - or if I ever make it back up that way I'll get in touch.

As for bass fishing up that way from a small boat like you were thinking.
Kayak bass fishing is becoming a very popular & competitive sport.
Here's some events up that way https://oregonkayakbassfishing.com/events/
It's worth checking out.
Some of the guys setup those kayaks up pretty cool with electronics,rod holders and Panther King Pin Shallow Water Anchors. They deck them out and the neat thing is you can get into areas that you are not able to get into with a regular bass boat. No motor zones and areas where you need a boat with a super skinny draft.

A good little practice lake up that way like I was saying with a large no wake zone - perfect for kayaking or a small inflatable boat is that Henry Hagg lake - there's LMB's in Spotted Bass & Smallmouth in there.

Another area I forgot to mention by where you grew up at is Scapoose bay & also the Multnomah channel.
Both used to hold a decent amount of fish.
MR. X
6/22/2018 11:54am
Limited out on walleye today ,perfect eaters,15-16 inches.

Post a reply to: To the guys who fish.....Switching from Spinning reels to Baitcaster reels.

The Latest