Truck shopping

FIREfish148
2/20/2018 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2018 6:32am
Lookin at taking the dive and getting a new truck tomorrow finally. Right now it’s between a Chevy Silverado or a new Honda Ridgeline. Im 6’4’’ and the ridgeline has a ton of head room and a shit ton of other super cool things about it. My main problem with it is everone says it’s a chick car and it’s already annoyed me enough to not want to buy one. Not that I care what people think too terribly much, but on top of that it’s $44,000 for the black edition which is what I want, and the wheels look like they could go on a Ford Fiesta.

My main gripes with the Silverado are it feels like a tractor driving it in the city where I live, they lose value quick, and I guess that’s about it.

What kind of trucks do you guys roll in? Any ridgeline owners? I already know Matthew has one. (Another con) jk
|
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
2/20/2018 8:07pm
The ridgleline ain't a truck, if you need a truck don't get one. If you just need a car with a bed go for it.
rucka356
2/20/2018 8:21pm
I just bought a 15 F150 crew cab ecoboost and love it !! 3rd one I have owned since 2003
71Fish
2/20/2018 8:39pm
rucka356 wrote:
I just bought a 15 F150 crew cab ecoboost and love it !! 3rd one I have owned since 2003
Do they keep breaking down on you or something?
TXDirt
2/21/2018 5:31am
Why did you rule out a Tundra?

The Shop

Sandberm
2/21/2018 7:31am
I like my 2010 Colorado if you dont mind used. I think the later models, 2010-12 have all the bugs worked out from when they did the redesign for 04.

Quick, look cool, easy to drive and park in the city.
plowboy
2/21/2018 3:42pm
If "looks" are a factor...the Dodge is still the sexiest truck. Not the best but best looking by a mile. I'm a Ford guy but they are just ugly now. My next truck will be a '55 - '57 Chevy. Even with new engine, tranny, running gear, it won't be the price of a new truck and it will be what I want.
HD1200
2/21/2018 4:24pm
Just got a new 2018 Ford F150 with the 5.0 and I love it. Interior is by far the roomiest of any 1/2 ton truck I've had, especially the back seat. Looks super sharp too!

Naanak
2/21/2018 4:40pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2018 4:41pm
2015 GMC Sierra. I’m very happy with it. If I got a newer truck I’d go with another gmc or a Ford with the 5.0.

Yzf916
2/21/2018 5:43pm
If you're looking the economical route. The Nissan Frontiers will be restyled mid year. So some super deals(under $20,000 we'll equipped) on this years model. Fit two bikes in mine with gate down. 22mpg unloaded. 18 loaded for 2.

JRT812
2/21/2018 6:25pm
plowboy wrote:
If "looks" are a factor...the Dodge is still the sexiest truck. Not the best but best looking by a mile. I'm a Ford guy but they...
If "looks" are a factor...the Dodge is still the sexiest truck. Not the best but best looking by a mile. I'm a Ford guy but they are just ugly now. My next truck will be a '55 - '57 Chevy. Even with new engine, tranny, running gear, it won't be the price of a new truck and it will be what I want.
Stop. By no means hating on the Dodge platform but you can’t say they look better than Ford. Then say you’re a Ford guy about to drive a Chevy.
mxer613
2/21/2018 6:47pm
On my second tundra, trade in value is awesome!! I get new trucks every couple years, had em all, and the tundra has been the best on resale.
JRT812
2/21/2018 7:52pm
mxer613 wrote:
On my second tundra, trade in value is awesome!! I get new trucks every couple years, had em all, and the tundra has been the best...
On my second tundra, trade in value is awesome!! I get new trucks every couple years, had em all, and the tundra has been the best on resale.
Toyota’s hold there value for sure. Not sure why, but they do. Just sold the wife’s 4Runner and was surprised at the offer. Bought another Toyota, but a Camry to help with gas. We ride together most days and work for the same company.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1062nd
2/21/2018 8:20pm
The thread title has a different meaning for some.

FIREfish148
2/22/2018 12:13am
TXDirt wrote:
Gas mileage is garbage on em and they’re not really intriguing I guess.
FIREfish148
2/22/2018 12:17am
plowboy wrote:
If "looks" are a factor...the Dodge is still the sexiest truck. Not the best but best looking by a mile. I'm a Ford guy but they...
Definitely agree with ya on that one. The new full-size trucks are just too boxy. I went to jay lees to test drive a Silverado today and couldn’t believe how boxy the hood was on it. The Dodge Ram designers seemed to have pumped their brakes on that shitty trend.
HD1200
2/22/2018 2:15am
plowboy wrote:
Definitely agree with ya on that one. The new full-size trucks are just too boxy. I went to jay lees to test drive a Silverado today...
Definitely agree with ya on that one. The new full-size trucks are just too boxy. I went to jay lees to test drive a Silverado today and couldn’t believe how boxy the hood was on it. The Dodge Ram designers seemed to have pumped their brakes on that shitty trend.
I think of it as edgy, not boxy and yes the Ford and Chevy's are edgier or more manly looking. The Dodge have more of a European style or round or gay looking. Anyway to each their own I guess.
2/22/2018 6:10am
plowboy wrote:
Definitely agree with ya on that one. The new full-size trucks are just too boxy. I went to jay lees to test drive a Silverado today...
HD1200 wrote:
I think of it as edgy, not boxy and yes the Ford and Chevy's are edgier or more manly looking. The Dodge have more of a...
I think of it as edgy, not boxy and yes the Ford and Chevy's are edgier or more manly looking. The Dodge have more of a European style or round or gay looking. Anyway to each their own I guess.
why does the new dodge put that ugly "RAM" in big letters on the front of the grill? hideous if you ask me.....
TXDirt
2/22/2018 6:45am
TXDirt wrote:
Gas mileage is garbage on em and they’re not really intriguing I guess.
Best trucks on the market. Maybe doesn't have all the girly doo-hickies of the other trucks. But remember, more shiny parts, the more chance for shit to break. The Tundras are high quality.

SEE ARE125
2/22/2018 7:47am
why does the new dodge put that ugly "RAM" in big letters on the front of the grill? hideous if you ask me.....
Because it's not a Dodge, it's a RAM. RAM is it's own brand now, and has been since like 2010ish. No different than it saying GMC or Ford or having a bowtie.
Sandberm
2/22/2018 10:10am
Ram half ton trucks look turrible. They are gaudy as fuck.

Cant believe you guys prefer the curvyness of the Ram over the tough square look of the Chevy.

The grill on a chevy looks a million times better then the big RAM lettering.

Ebs
2/22/2018 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 3:18pm
I don't think the Ridgeline is half bad. It represents probably what the majority of new 1/2 ton pickup buyers will really ever be using out of their trucks. The problem is, when the Ridgeline originally came out pickups were still pickups, and they rode and handled like pickups. New 1/2 tons nowadays are pretty dang nice inside and they ride really good, so it's hard to get a car-pickup when truck-pickups have more car like qualities than ever.

PS - The square wheel openings on the current GM trucks is the worst offense out of any of the new pickups. It's minor, but I can't get over it, it's terrible.
plowboy
2/22/2018 4:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 4:09pm
plowboy wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
Stop. By no means hating on the Dodge platform but you can’t say they look better than Ford. Then say you’re a Ford guy about to...
Stop. By no means hating on the Dodge platform but you can’t say they look better than Ford. Then say you’re a Ford guy about to drive a Chevy.
https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%….

I don't know how to shoe th picture but this is an idea of what a truck should look like (for me).
NV825
Fantasy
2711th
2/22/2018 4:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 4:26pm
Something about the newer body style of the Ridgeline looks like a mix between a minivan and a truck to me. Especially when I see them on the road heading in the opposite direction.

Not sure if you're a Ram fan, but my parents have a 1500 ecodiesel and it's pretty awesome. It get's really good gas mileage too.
JRT812
2/22/2018 5:18pm
plowboy wrote:
JRT812 wrote:
Stop. By no means hating on the Dodge platform but you can’t say they look better than Ford. Then say you’re a Ford guy about to...
plowboy wrote:
https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FhoHRpVhoZx4%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhoHRpVhoZx4&docid=y3VZiPWsko703M&tbnid=e2wvbCO6NINCOM%3A&vet=1&w=2023&h=1296&source=sh%2Fx%2Fim. I don't know how to shoe th picture but this is an idea of what a truck should look like (for me).
https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%….

I don't know how to shoe th picture but this is an idea of what a truck should look like (for me).
Just messing around with ya. I love classic trucks from all brands. Grew up a Ford guy, but each brand has multiple years and styles I like.
reded
2/22/2018 5:31pm
Ebs wrote:
I don't think the Ridgeline is half bad. It represents probably what the majority of new 1/2 ton pickup buyers will really ever be using out...
I don't think the Ridgeline is half bad. It represents probably what the majority of new 1/2 ton pickup buyers will really ever be using out of their trucks. The problem is, when the Ridgeline originally came out pickups were still pickups, and they rode and handled like pickups. New 1/2 tons nowadays are pretty dang nice inside and they ride really good, so it's hard to get a car-pickup when truck-pickups have more car like qualities than ever.

PS - The square wheel openings on the current GM trucks is the worst offense out of any of the new pickups. It's minor, but I can't get over it, it's terrible.
Round peg in a square hole, GM screwed the pooch with this body style. At least it's over in 6months. The '19 got its looks back.
colintrax
Fantasy
2302nd
2/22/2018 7:19pm
As far as GM's wheel wells go, just remember you're talking about the opening for a cylinder that rotates around an offset axis and moves up and down. Nothing round about the way a wheel moves except how it spins.
rucka356
2/22/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2018 8:35pm
rucka356 wrote:
71Fish wrote:
Do they keep breaking down on you or something?
Actually the only problem I have ever had out of them was my 2010 lariat and it was just the a.c. vent temp actuator behind dash. Pretty good I think
hyler199
2/23/2018 12:30am
Ebs wrote:
I don't think the Ridgeline is half bad. It represents probably what the majority of new 1/2 ton pickup buyers will really ever be using out...

Truth....
I have so many friends that own big v8 trucks that will chirp the shit out of a Honda Ridgeline but I can assure you none of those friends even use a truck for "Truck" things.

Most ive seen in the bed of a truck is a case of beer and groceries lol.

If they all had Ridgelines they would be doing the exact same thing but probably an overall better driving experience.

Not one pulls a trailer, not one has left the streets of the Great Toronto Area

I had a 98 Tacoma that did more overloaded hauling, offroading, "truck" things than all these brand new trucks haha.

ANYWAYS, pick what you feel is practical. Although I am not entirely a fan on the front end look of the Ridgeline, I would buy it if thats the proper tool for the job I need it for.

Just use your gut, talk to a good salesguy and seperately talk to a dealership mechanic if you can (not a parts sales guy) and pick which will make you happy.
reded
2/23/2018 3:56am
colintrax wrote:
As far as GM's wheel wells go, just remember you're talking about the opening for a cylinder that rotates around an offset axis and moves up...
As far as GM's wheel wells go, just remember you're talking about the opening for a cylinder that rotates around an offset axis and moves up and down. Nothing round about the way a wheel moves except how it spins.
Take off the engineers cap and think "aesthetics."

Post a reply to: Truck shopping

The Latest