Vital Gearheads - Reccomend

captmoto
I need someone in SoCal, preferably in the IE that does rear differential work. Nothing real special but need some work on the rear end of of my F250. Not crazy about going to a dealer, I would like to find an independent that does mostly drive lines.
|
scooter5002
7/9/2017 4:49pm
Not to be a smartass, but try Google for your immediate area. Some of the private small shops do good work. Alternatively, try a chain that specializes in driveline work. Never had work done in Cali, but there are nationwide chains up here, that I've gone to. Must be something like that down there, at least state wide. You are right with dealers though, they just want to shove it up your ass. Good luck.
captmoto
7/11/2017 8:05am
Not to be a smartass, but try Google for your immediate area. Some of the private small shops do good work. Alternatively, try a chain that...
Not to be a smartass, but try Google for your immediate area. Some of the private small shops do good work. Alternatively, try a chain that specializes in driveline work. Never had work done in Cali, but there are nationwide chains up here, that I've gone to. Must be something like that down there, at least state wide. You are right with dealers though, they just want to shove it up your ass. Good luck.
I found one place fairly local that does diffs and regear only and a few 4wd places that do regearing. Not as many places down hear as you would think.
My local for dealership wants $165 for just the diff fluid but I can find Royal Purple and Lucas Oil for around $50 a gallon. I always look for word of mouth references first.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/11/2017 10:16am
I would not go to dealer for that work either. I have used this place with great results, very knowledgeable but not very close to you I guess.

https://www.progearaxles.com/

The Shop

captmoto
7/11/2017 3:00pm
What, specifically, are you looking to have done?
The pinion shaft bearings are shot, wore the seal and blew oil out. I can feel the slop in the yoke, like bad steering head bearings. If all it was was the seal I would replace myself. Replacing the bearings involves a press and set up skills I don't have.
scooter5002
7/11/2017 6:20pm
Ah. Removable gear pot or all one piece with removeable backing plate only? Only ask, because it would be easy to part of the job yourself, if it's a pot. Then just take it somewhere to be repaired.
captmoto
7/11/2017 9:35pm
It's a 10.5", 4:30 Sterling LS rear end, out of my wheelhouse.
Parris
7/14/2017 7:33am
I worked at a speed shop and set gears for a lot of the local dirt track and drag racers . I have worked on a few trucks that have towed too much weight and made so much heat the seals fail. If you have had a bearing fail the entire dif must be taken apart cleansed
captmoto
7/14/2017 12:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2017 12:18pm
Parris wrote:
I worked at a speed shop and set gears for a lot of the local dirt track and drag racers . I have worked on a...
I worked at a speed shop and set gears for a lot of the local dirt track and drag racers . I have worked on a few trucks that have towed too much weight and made so much heat the seals fail. If you have had a bearing fail the entire dif must be taken apart cleansed
That's whats happening now. I don't know if it was a total failure since in didn't rattle or grind. Just lost a lot of oil at once and the yoke is sloppy like worn steering head bearings. I will hear the final results by tomorrow. The last time I hauled any real weight was 10 years ago. Truck now has 180.000 miles on it and all I was hauling was about 7000#. I think it was just time.
Parris
7/14/2017 4:29pm
In the future just go to your local parts store and by a brake bleeder hand pump. That way you can change the fluid without having to take the cover off.

Post a reply to: Vital Gearheads - Reccomend

The Latest