Why are the troops not home yet?

MXMatt
Edited Date/Time 1/10/2012 2:21am
Wasn't this one of Obama's main campain promises? He promised he'd get us out of Iraq. Where are all his lefty supports? Why aren't they going ballistic, no pun intended? Wasn't his promise to get out of Iraq a main point behind why he got elected? We know he can spend money stride for stride with Bush. At least he could keep his promise to get us out of IRAQ.
|
Cygnus
2/28/2009 12:44pm
I live less than 10 miles from Ft. Carson. They haven't done any artillery training for the last year or so. All of a sudden the ground has been shaking almost 24/7.
09450f
2/28/2009 1:16pm
2/3 or more will be coming home,but 50,000 stay..what will they be doing?
flarider
2/28/2009 1:19pm
Obviously some people don't pay attention.
jonjon714
2/28/2009 1:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/28/2009 1:34pm
I appreciate his timetable... Bring em home 3 months before an election. BRILLIANT!

You can bet violence in Iraq will subside until September 2010...

The Shop

dougie
2/28/2009 1:46pm
flarider wrote:
Probably has something to do with the word "Pay" would be my guess
MXMatt
2/28/2009 5:12pm
Cygnus wrote:
I live less than 10 miles from Ft. Carson. They haven't done any artillery training for the last year or so. All of a sudden the...
I live less than 10 miles from Ft. Carson. They haven't done any artillery training for the last year or so. All of a sudden the ground has been shaking almost 24/7.
That's strange. Why would they be training 24/7 if he plans to end the war and bring the troops home according to his campaign promise?
MXMatt
2/28/2009 5:14pm
09450f wrote:
50,000 are going to stay? How is that ending the war and bringing the troops home like he promised????
MXMatt
2/28/2009 5:17pm
flarider wrote:
Educate me Dave. War is not over and apparently 50000 will be left in Iraq. How is that bringing the troops home as he promised?
MXMatt
2/28/2009 5:18pm
I thought it was because Obama made it a campaign promise.
flarider
2/28/2009 5:20pm
flarider wrote:
MXMatt wrote:
Educate me Dave. War is not over and apparently 50000 will be left in Iraq. How is that bringing the troops home as he promised?
It is exactly what he has always said.
If you or anyone thought otherwise, you only prove you didn't do any research and/or did not care about facts but only your preconceived ideas
flarider
2/28/2009 5:28pm

WASHINGTON, July 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said in an interview published on Saturday the size of a residual U.S. force left in Iraq after the withdrawal of combat troops would be "entirely conditions-based."

In comments seized upon by the campaign of Republican rival John McCain, Obama told Newsweek Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki recognized Iraq was "going to need our help for some time to come."

"We're going to have to provide them with logistical support, intelligence support. We're going to have to have a very capable counterterrorism strike force,"
Obama told the magazine while approaching Paris during a high-profile foreign tour, which included stops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We're going to have to continue to train their army and police to make them more effective,"
the Illinois senator added, calling such support consistent with his proposal for a 16-month timetable for withdrawing U.S. combat troops.

Asked if he had a clearer idea after talks with diplomatic and military officials how big a force would need to be left behind for those tasks, Obama replied: "I do think that's entirely conditions-based.

"It's hard to anticipate where we may be six months from now, or a year from now, or a year and a half from now."

The McCain campaign said the comments were the latest shift in Obama's position on Iraq toward his opponent's view that troop withdrawals must be based on security conditions.

"Barack Obama is ultimately articulating a position of sustained troop levels in Iraq based on the conditions on the ground and the security of the country. That is the very same position that John McCain has long held," said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds.

"We welcome this latest shift in Senator Obama's position, but it is obvious that it was only a lack of experience and judgment that kept him from arriving at this position sooner," the campaign said in a statement.

McCain, like U.S. President George W. Bush, has opposed a fixed schedule for withdrawing combat troops, preferring to remain until Iraq is fully secure.

But Bush agreed last week with al-Maliki that security gains made it possible to set a time horizon for achieving a U.S. troop withdrawal. Maliki later said 2010 was an appropriate goal for a U.S. withdrawal, similar to the date Obama has proposed.

McCain acknowledged in a CNN interview on Saturday that a 16-month period would be "a pretty good timetable" for withdrawing U.S. troops, but said any withdrawal must be based on conditions on the ground.
09450f
2/28/2009 5:33pm
yep,about 50,000 after august of 2010
MXMatt
2/28/2009 5:39pm
flarider wrote:
MXMatt wrote:
flarider wrote:
It is exactly what he has always said. If you or anyone thought otherwise, you only prove you didn't do any research and/or did not care...
It is exactly what he has always said.
If you or anyone thought otherwise, you only prove you didn't do any research and/or did not care about facts but only your preconceived ideas
So, leaving 50000 troops behind is acceptable to the lefty anti-war peeps huh? Sounds like he sold them a bill of good just like he did with the Second Amendment crowd.

As for preconceived ideas, I already stated in another thread that I would support him up and until he came after the Second Amendment. With the prospect of reinstituting the Assault Weapons Ban, he poked my "sacred cow." At a minimum he deceived people about his position on this issue. I think he flat out lied. Some friend of gun owners. What a crock of shit. He could have just left this alone, but "NO!"
flarider
2/28/2009 5:41pm
Remember the last time you went off on a tangent and assumptions regarding the 2nd ammendment?
MXMatt
2/28/2009 5:43pm
flarider wrote:
WASHINGTON,[b] [u]July 26[/u][/b] (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said in an interview published on Saturday[b][u] the size of a residual U.S. force left...

WASHINGTON, July 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said in an interview published on Saturday the size of a residual U.S. force left in Iraq after the withdrawal of combat troops would be "entirely conditions-based."

In comments seized upon by the campaign of Republican rival John McCain, Obama told Newsweek Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki recognized Iraq was "going to need our help for some time to come."

"We're going to have to provide them with logistical support, intelligence support. We're going to have to have a very capable counterterrorism strike force,"
Obama told the magazine while approaching Paris during a high-profile foreign tour, which included stops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We're going to have to continue to train their army and police to make them more effective,"
the Illinois senator added, calling such support consistent with his proposal for a 16-month timetable for withdrawing U.S. combat troops.

Asked if he had a clearer idea after talks with diplomatic and military officials how big a force would need to be left behind for those tasks, Obama replied: "I do think that's entirely conditions-based.

"It's hard to anticipate where we may be six months from now, or a year from now, or a year and a half from now."

The McCain campaign said the comments were the latest shift in Obama's position on Iraq toward his opponent's view that troop withdrawals must be based on security conditions.

"Barack Obama is ultimately articulating a position of sustained troop levels in Iraq based on the conditions on the ground and the security of the country. That is the very same position that John McCain has long held," said McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds.

"We welcome this latest shift in Senator Obama's position, but it is obvious that it was only a lack of experience and judgment that kept him from arriving at this position sooner," the campaign said in a statement.

McCain, like U.S. President George W. Bush, has opposed a fixed schedule for withdrawing combat troops, preferring to remain until Iraq is fully secure.

But Bush agreed last week with al-Maliki that security gains made it possible to set a time horizon for achieving a U.S. troop withdrawal. Maliki later said 2010 was an appropriate goal for a U.S. withdrawal, similar to the date Obama has proposed.

McCain acknowledged in a CNN interview on Saturday that a 16-month period would be "a pretty good timetable" for withdrawing U.S. troops, but said any withdrawal must be based on conditions on the ground.
"Entirely Conditions Based." Well, hog my hooter. Wasn't that Bush's policy? Bush wanted to bring them home as soon as is reasonably necessary if I am not mistaken.
cobra314
2/28/2009 9:50pm
All of these politicians are the same. I think it's funny when people believe that huge changes are going to take place. Life in the U.S. will keep rolling along downhill until something drastic gets changed about our government and all of these wealthy ass politicians. They keep saying they want to help everyone out, but you don't see any of them living on $50,000 a year do you? You don't see any of them flying "coach" when they have to go somewhere. They keep living just like they always have, making great promises to the sheep, and continuing to increase their own bank accounts.
Farva
2/28/2009 10:14pm
This right here

Is the same crap Bush sold everyone on.

Amazing how a new person can wrap the same crap and continue to give it to us.

MXMatt
2/28/2009 10:37pm
Farva wrote:
This right here WASHINGTON, July 26 (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said in an interview published on Saturday the size of a residual...
This right here

Is the same crap Bush sold everyone on.

Amazing how a new person can wrap the same crap and continue to give it to us.

Seems to me there isn't a dimes worth of difference between "W" and Obama when it comes to Iraq. Both wanted out of Iraq as soon as possible "entirely conditions-based." So, back to my origional questions. Why isn't the Anti-War machine up in arms? You know, the Bush is a murdering SOB crowd who suggest we have no need to be in Iraq? It appears that even Obama feels we need to be in Iraq until some "conditions based" point. Two sides of the same coin here.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
3/1/2009 2:07am
Cygnus wrote:
I live less than 10 miles from Ft. Carson. They haven't done any artillery training for the last year or so. All of a sudden the...
MXMatt wrote:
That's strange. Why would they be training 24/7 if he plans to end the war and bring the troops home according to his campaign promise?
I would say they are getting ready for Afghanistan, or they were deployed and have came home to start training again. They are starting up a surge to Afghanistan now. There are many reasons as to why they may have started training again.
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
3/1/2009 2:15am
09450f wrote:
They will continue to train Iraqi soldier's, and I would assume they would continue to conduct intelligence operations to ensure that the Iraq government continues to gain power over the insurgents. I picture Iraq to be like Korea, and the U.S. will be there for quite some time.
dougie
3/1/2009 6:57am
We're still in Germany, we're still in Korea. Both Id imagine because they are strategic places to have our military.

As long as we need oil and we want to keep it out of the hands of the Chinese we will stay in Iraq also.

If and its a big if, Obama brings home the lions share of troops by next year I'll be happy.

Can you imagine even if he wants to bring every last soldier home the amount of pressure from the military complex he gets to stay the course?

But maybe he doesnt care, I cant see inside his mind anymore than anyone else can. And as Cobra points out above, most politicians or more importantly the big business men and lobbyiest that pull their strings live in a World where they have little in common with the average American.
kdx man
3/1/2009 9:23am
If you guys wanted out of the war by now, you'd have elected Ron Paul.

Dogger
3/1/2009 9:30am
MXMatt wrote:
Seems to me there isn't a dimes worth of difference between "W" and Obama when it comes to Iraq. Both wanted out of Iraq as soon...
Seems to me there isn't a dimes worth of difference between "W" and Obama when it comes to Iraq. Both wanted out of Iraq as soon as possible "entirely conditions-based." So, back to my origional questions. Why isn't the Anti-War machine up in arms? You know, the Bush is a murdering SOB crowd who suggest we have no need to be in Iraq? It appears that even Obama feels we need to be in Iraq until some "conditions based" point. Two sides of the same coin here.
Good points Matt.....

Post a reply to: Why are the troops not home yet?

The Latest