Will go to Syria and Lebanon for Easter

Sunhouse
11/1/2017 12:48am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2017 7:27am
Was hoping to go to Syria around boxing day this Christmas, but the gf wanted us to travel together, so Syria is out of the question for Christmas. Will probably do Ethiopia and Djibouti instead. But she has to work for Easter so I finally get to go to Syria.

I will fly down to Beirut, and catch a taxi from Beirut to Damascus. It’s only 60USD, and along a heavily guarded road which har almost been a life line during the war.

Will try to go to some of the more interesting locations from the war, to see how a country rebounds and unifies itself after being invaded by jihadists.
I expect Syrians to be much like Iranians - very friendly and warm. Also, I read a piece by a man who was there a week ago, and he said the people are extatic over tourists returning - giving the people hope and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Will be going to Damascus, Palmyra, Homs (if safe), Aleppo and Latakia it seems.

I think I only have to go to Libya after this to complete my «axis of evil - tour». So far it’s been great! Loooved Iran and will go back. Generally I have really enjoyed the Shiite countries. They are quite accepting of others and not so strict. The sunni countries: not so much.

Anyways, my goal for the trip to Syria will be to attend an Easter mass in a church. I’m not religious, but would love to see it in a city like aleppo.

Any other ideas as to what to experience? I’m free to go where I want with little to no restrictions. I’m thinking maybe try the nightlife too, the moderates know how to party apparently
|
MJC
11/1/2017 3:39am
Sunhouse wrote:
Was hoping to go to Syria around boxing day this Christmas, but the gf wanted us to travel together, so Syria is out of the question...
Was hoping to go to Syria around boxing day this Christmas, but the gf wanted us to travel together, so Syria is out of the question for Christmas. Will probably do Ethiopia and Djibouti instead. But she has to work for Easter so I finally get to go to Syria.

I will fly down to Beirut, and catch a taxi from Beirut to Damascus. It’s only 60USD, and along a heavily guarded road which har almost been a life line during the war.

Will try to go to some of the more interesting locations from the war, to see how a country rebounds and unifies itself after being invaded by jihadists.
I expect Syrians to be much like Iranians - very friendly and warm. Also, I read a piece by a man who was there a week ago, and he said the people are extatic over tourists returning - giving the people hope and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Will be going to Damascus, Palmyra, Homs (if safe), Aleppo and Latakia it seems.

I think I only have to go to Libya after this to complete my «axis of evil - tour». So far it’s been great! Loooved Iran and will go back. Generally I have really enjoyed the Shiite countries. They are quite accepting of others and not so strict. The sunni countries: not so much.

Anyways, my goal for the trip to Syria will be to attend an Easter mass in a church. I’m not religious, but would love to see it in a city like aleppo.

Any other ideas as to what to experience? I’m free to go where I want with little to no restrictions. I’m thinking maybe try the nightlife too, the moderates know how to party apparently
Mate, I have no idea how you do these trips (time, money, balls etc) but I love it.
No advice, just stay safe and give us all a ride report
11/1/2017 8:54am Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 8:55am
Don’t yell your life insurance provider !!!

But take a lot of pictures will you? Your NK trip was interesting. I wouldn’t ever go there but I liked seeing all your pics and video.
Hut
11/1/2017 9:10am
Not trying to sound like a smart ass here, I m sure you have done the research. Is there anything left in Aleppo to see?
This is all I have seen about it.

Sunhouse
11/1/2017 12:12pm
Hut wrote:
Not trying to sound like a smart ass here, I m sure you have done the research. Is there anything left in Aleppo to see? This...
Not trying to sound like a smart ass here, I m sure you have done the research. Is there anything left in Aleppo to see?
This is all I have seen about it.

Talked to a guy who was there 3 weeks ago, the siege was only for 20% of the city. Which means most of the city is not only standing, but doing quite well. There’s media for ya

The Shop

Sunhouse
11/1/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 12:23pm
Sunhouse wrote:
Was hoping to go to Syria around boxing day this Christmas, but the gf wanted us to travel together, so Syria is out of the question...

MJC wrote:
Mate, I have no idea how you do these trips (time, money, balls etc) but I love it. No advice, just stay safe and give us...
Mate, I have no idea how you do these trips (time, money, balls etc) but I love it.
No advice, just stay safe and give us all a ride report
Thanks mate, for now it’s all I invest in. I find it so rewarding! There are so many places to go, and most of the stories we read about are so biased - it’s not even funny!
My gf likes to travel too, but she’s not into the geopolitical stuff so I have to pick the locations carefully. When we go together I have to «sell» the location in usually, but if she’s not coming I have more leverage. She doesn’t want me to go, but she knows I’ll be unhappy if I can’t. Especially before we have kids, so she allows it temporarily, luckily Laughing
Besides, we both like to travel so I can go eveywhere safe with the future kids and wife.
It’s not cheap, but I look at it as education, and it looks awesome on a resume for my line of work. I’m a lawyer with business aspirations, and she is a dermatologist. We’re looking at making the kids internationally oriented too
Hut
11/1/2017 12:26pm
"Pick carefully" Iran, NK, Syria Woohoo
Sunhouse
11/1/2017 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2017 12:43pm
Don’t yell your life insurance provider !!! But take a lot of pictures will you? Your NK trip was interesting. I wouldn’t ever go there but...
Don’t yell your life insurance provider !!!

But take a lot of pictures will you? Your NK trip was interesting. I wouldn’t ever go there but I liked seeing all your pics and video.
That’s funny, because I work in insurance as a lawyerLaughing
I will! I enjoy posting them here because it seems like you guys enjoy the pictures and stories too!
I’m just hoping the mrs won’t get the days off in Easter so I can go. She wants to go to the Maldives. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice place, but there is f@ck all to do there Laughing If her collegue can’t take here shifts I’m off to SyriaCool found some Russians and Italians who can take care of the logistics
Nighttrain
11/1/2017 4:47pm
Sunhouse wrote:
That’s funny, because I work in insurance as a lawyer:laugh: I will! I enjoy posting them here because it seems like you guys enjoy the pictures...
That’s funny, because I work in insurance as a lawyerLaughing
I will! I enjoy posting them here because it seems like you guys enjoy the pictures and stories too!
I’m just hoping the mrs won’t get the days off in Easter so I can go. She wants to go to the Maldives. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice place, but there is f@ck all to do there Laughing If her collegue can’t take here shifts I’m off to SyriaCool found some Russians and Italians who can take care of the logistics
Like I said before, Sunhouse, yours is one impressive passport. I look forward to seeing the next round of photos. The pictures you posted of NK made the place look bleak and soulless. While the pics and report on Iran matched the way I imagined it to be from the folks I’ve known from there.
Foghorn
11/2/2017 8:30am
Cool trip. Might have to take in Shangri-La in New Guinea sometime too, ha! I was in your home country a few weeks ago during a whirlwind tour to Austria, Germany and Norway. Ended up in Bergen then drove to Stord and stayed there. Drove around the islands some ending in Brandasund. The narrow bridges connecting a lot of the islands was pretty cool. Some pretty country there.

XXVoid MainXX
11/2/2017 11:39am
Can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories!
mtnr
11/2/2017 1:31pm
Can't wait for the updates. Thanks for posting.
11/2/2017 3:07pm
All the best mate and stay safe, certainly sounds like an adventure. Keep us updated.
Jrewing
11/3/2017 12:46am
I'd love to get to Lebanon.
mingham97
11/3/2017 3:01am
Man I love seeing other people experience the world. Me and my girlfriend are at uni at the moment studying, and we have made a point to go over seas every year. I'm in for a 6 year degree so I'm looking forward to where we have been by the end of it. So far we have been to Bali, Kuala Lumpur, England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Lichtenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands and Belgium.

I love the experience of travel. Next year we're going to Langkawi and Bali, and the year after, we're doing a 6 week trip around the USA. Really looking forward to the USA just to experience something different. I'm want to go do a middle east trip the following year but for me it just seems way too risky and at 20, I'm not fully comfortable doing it. I'm a pretty established traveller, but I also need to wisen up a little before I tackle the middle east.
Sunhouse
11/8/2017 1:30pm
Nighttrain wrote:
Like I said before, Sunhouse, yours is one impressive passport. I look forward to seeing the next round of photos. The pictures you posted of NK...
Like I said before, Sunhouse, yours is one impressive passport. I look forward to seeing the next round of photos. The pictures you posted of NK made the place look bleak and soulless. While the pics and report on Iran matched the way I imagined it to be from the folks I’ve known from there.
Thanks man, will post pictures while there too, wifi/4G is good there. Just hope the unrest in Lebanon is under control so I can cross the border from there Smile
Sunhouse
11/8/2017 1:31pm
Foghorn wrote:
Cool trip. Might have to take in Shangri-La in New Guinea sometime too, ha! I was in your home country a few weeks ago during a...
Cool trip. Might have to take in Shangri-La in New Guinea sometime too, ha! I was in your home country a few weeks ago during a whirlwind tour to Austria, Germany and Norway. Ended up in Bergen then drove to Stord and stayed there. Drove around the islands some ending in Brandasund. The narrow bridges connecting a lot of the islands was pretty cool. Some pretty country there.

Thanks for sharing! The Western part of the country is nice, did you go to the fjords?
11/8/2017 6:30pm
mingham97 wrote:
Man I love seeing other people experience the world. Me and my girlfriend are at uni at the moment studying, and we have made a point...
Man I love seeing other people experience the world. Me and my girlfriend are at uni at the moment studying, and we have made a point to go over seas every year. I'm in for a 6 year degree so I'm looking forward to where we have been by the end of it. So far we have been to Bali, Kuala Lumpur, England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Lichtenstein, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands and Belgium.

I love the experience of travel. Next year we're going to Langkawi and Bali, and the year after, we're doing a 6 week trip around the USA. Really looking forward to the USA just to experience something different. I'm want to go do a middle east trip the following year but for me it just seems way too risky and at 20, I'm not fully comfortable doing it. I'm a pretty established traveller, but I also need to wisen up a little before I tackle the middle east.
Hooah! If you roll through Ohio look me up. I’ll take ya to dinner !!
Foghorn
11/9/2017 7:56am
Sunhouse wrote:
Thanks for sharing! The Western part of the country is nice, did you go to the fjords?
Unfortunately didn't have time as it was a business trip and meetings took precedence. Still some pretty awesome country around there even without the fjords.

mingham97
11/12/2017 5:12am
mingham97 wrote:
Man I love seeing other people experience the world. Me and my girlfriend are at uni at the moment studying, and we have made a point...

Hooah! If you roll through Ohio look me up. I’ll take ya to dinner !!
Mate that would be superb! Me and my partner are looking to crash at caravan parks and air bnb's, so if anyone wants to lend us a nice square on your front yard for us to park the hire car and crash for the night, we would love to take a few folk out for a drink and something to eat
JW381
11/12/2017 7:27am
Awesome!! After my short travel experience, I was almost ready to sell the bikes and commit to a life traversing the world map. Can't wait to see more of your pics. I truly need to do the same. There is so much to see.

Very sad and interesting how the media shapes our perceptions.

Post a reply to: Will go to Syria and Lebanon for Easter

The Latest