Yamaha FZ

mxdude105
2/3/2018 2:03pm
Looking to upgrade to an FZ-07 or FZ-09 from my '01 Ninja 500. Anyone have any experience with either of these bikes? Leaning towards the 09 for the extra power and more solid feel (only sat on both, never ridden either).

I rode my dad's Harley 1200 for several years before buying the Ninja. Kinda looking for something that's a cross between the two. Relative lightweight and sporty handling, peppy motor...but a comfortable riding position for 2-3hr rides.

Also considering the Suzuki SV650.

Thoughts/opinions/comments?
|
2/3/2018 2:21pm
You will not regret the fz-9. Smooth, torque, cool sound great ergonomics, and for the price it's the best bike out there... I was super close to buying one but needed a new dirt scoot first... And I'm over the road riding thing for the most part anyways.

The SV650 is honestly nothing special, its not that much of a drastic upgrade from what you have now.

My step-dad had a sportster 1200 when I had my FZ6 (not the slower R), and my bike would walk all over that thing. I did a few 10+ hour rides on it, and the FZ9 has a better feel for long riding in my opinion... Also consider the FJ.
mxdude105
2/3/2018 2:32pm
You will not regret the fz-9. Smooth, torque, cool sound great ergonomics, and for the price it's the best bike out there... I was super close...
You will not regret the fz-9. Smooth, torque, cool sound great ergonomics, and for the price it's the best bike out there... I was super close to buying one but needed a new dirt scoot first... And I'm over the road riding thing for the most part anyways.

The SV650 is honestly nothing special, its not that much of a drastic upgrade from what you have now.

My step-dad had a sportster 1200 when I had my FZ6 (not the slower R), and my bike would walk all over that thing. I did a few 10+ hour rides on it, and the FZ9 has a better feel for long riding in my opinion... Also consider the FJ.
The FJ caught my eye but I think it may be just a *bit* out of my price range unless I get lucky. Likewise with the XSR's. Looking in the $5500-6k range for a used one.

I've ridden my buddy's Vstrom 650 a few times. Seems like it has a similar posture and fairing to the FJ. It felt a little bulkier than I'd like, although It would be ideal for touring.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
2/5/2018 9:49am
You will not regret the fz-9. Smooth, torque, cool sound great ergonomics, and for the price it's the best bike out there... I was super close...

While I also think the FZ-09 is a great bike, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you about the SV650. It is a MASSIVE improvement over a Ninja 500. Bugs hit you on the back of the helmet when you ride a Ninja 500. The draft from an SV650 will suck the air right out of an EX500's carb when it blows past one.
mxdude105
2/5/2018 1:46pm
Falcon wrote:
While I also think the FZ-09 is a great bike, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you about the SV650. It is...
While I also think the FZ-09 is a great bike, I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you about the SV650. It is a MASSIVE improvement over a Ninja 500. Bugs hit you on the back of the helmet when you ride a Ninja 500. The draft from an SV650 will suck the air right out of an EX500's carb when it blows past one.
Lol. I think the Fz-07 and SV650 are about a 20hp jump over the Ninja at a similar weight. (50 vs 70hp). The 09 is considerably more. Not looking to go 180mph but I don't want to constantly wish for more power like on the Ninja. My girl likes to ride with me sometimes and even though she's pretty small, the Ninja is an absolute dog with a passenger.

Post a reply to: Yamaha FZ

The Latest