anyone watching WW1 apocalypse on old military chan?

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 8/20/2014 9:48am
Monday nites. Damn good.

They way it all started is so insane. And all the leaders being related,well,a lot were.

This coming Monday is the 3rd hour but they are not replaying the 1st two this time.

I need to see that 1st hour again just to absorb more of the factors that started it.
|
8/6/2014 4:40pm
They've been airing it on History channel in my neck of the woods. I watch military stuff every night, huge war history buff. The world is really screwed up right now but history will teach that is just been far worse many times in the past.
borg
8/6/2014 5:47pm
I go to sleep with Hitler many nights on the History Channel or one of the war channels.. Right now they are doing the 100 year anniversary of WW1 stuff.
hillbilly
8/7/2014 6:00am
borg wrote:
I go to sleep with Hitler many nights on the History Channel or one of the war channels.. Right now they are doing the 100 year...
I go to sleep with Hitler many nights on the History Channel or one of the war channels.. Right now they are doing the 100 year anniversary of WW1 stuff.
Me to Ivan, watched ever ww11 in color,world at war and ever thing else they put on the hero channel many times.

I knew ww1 was started by a couple Muslim terrorist killing Franz and wife but the other countries and their reasoning I never knew. Almost ever country in Europe was declaring war on someone.

That one battle where the number of shells was near a million ( I thought they were full of shit on that number but with number of guns per mile and number of miles it was about a thousand shells per gun so it is believable ,and the pictures showed spent shells piled 15 ft deep around the guns) trying to imagine the noise that it created,it had to carry hundreds of miles.

I will watch it again and see if I got that right,they also said 200 million shells were used during that war.
PalerBlue
8/7/2014 9:07am
borg wrote:
I go to sleep with Hitler many nights on the History Channel or one of the war channels.. Right now they are doing the 100 year...
hillbilly wrote:
Me to Ivan, watched ever ww11 in color,world at war and ever thing else they put on the hero channel many times. I knew ww1 was...
Me to Ivan, watched ever ww11 in color,world at war and ever thing else they put on the hero channel many times.

I knew ww1 was started by a couple Muslim terrorist killing Franz and wife but the other countries and their reasoning I never knew. Almost ever country in Europe was declaring war on someone.

That one battle where the number of shells was near a million ( I thought they were full of shit on that number but with number of guns per mile and number of miles it was about a thousand shells per gun so it is believable ,and the pictures showed spent shells piled 15 ft deep around the guns) trying to imagine the noise that it created,it had to carry hundreds of miles.

I will watch it again and see if I got that right,they also said 200 million shells were used during that war.
The man (single) who assasinated Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was a devout Serbian Orthodox Christian. This was the excuse the Austro-Hungarian empire had been looking for to embark on a program of genocide for the troublesome Serbs. This was resumed by the Croatians under the Nazis during the second world war. All of which set up the Serbs to inflict some payback after the breakup of Yugoslavia when Communism fell apart there. They may have acted dispicably during 1998 and 1999 but with a little reading of Serbian history, you could almost understand it.

As to the rest of the Great War's causes, it was basically a huge family feud over empires, which killed the cream of Europe's manhood and set up the U.S.A. for it's place in the World today.

The Shop

jndmx
8/7/2014 9:10am
I have been going nuts with the WW I and II documentaries on Netflix.
I find that history stuff very interesting as well.
hillbilly
8/7/2014 10:31am
borg wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
Me to Ivan, watched ever ww11 in color,world at war and ever thing else they put on the hero channel many times. I knew ww1 was...

PalerBlue wrote:
The man (single) who assasinated Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was a devout Serbian Orthodox [u]Christian[/u]. This was the excuse the Austro-Hungarian empire had been looking for...
The man (single) who assasinated Arch Duke Franz Ferdinand was a devout Serbian Orthodox Christian. This was the excuse the Austro-Hungarian empire had been looking for to embark on a program of genocide for the troublesome Serbs. This was resumed by the Croatians under the Nazis during the second world war. All of which set up the Serbs to inflict some payback after the breakup of Yugoslavia when Communism fell apart there. They may have acted dispicably during 1998 and 1999 but with a little reading of Serbian history, you could almost understand it.

As to the rest of the Great War's causes, it was basically a huge family feud over empires, which killed the cream of Europe's manhood and set up the U.S.A. for it's place in the World today.

He was a young bosnia and a member o the black hand ,they aren't Muslim?
jtomasik
8/7/2014 10:47am
Thanks for the head's up. I'll have to check it out.

Kinda on this note....what was the name of the book that was written about the founding of America, based on the victim's perspective?
Sunhouse
8/7/2014 12:31pm
borg wrote:
hillbilly wrote:

Before the battle of Passchendaele they fired 4,5 million shells according to the documentary I saw on BBC last night Blink
8/7/2014 1:16pm
hillbilly wrote:
He was a young bosnia and a member o the black hand ,they aren't Muslim?
His name was Gavrilo Princip and he was baptised and raised as an Orthodox Christian but later denounced all religous affiliations. He was the lone guman in the assasination but was part of a larger faction. His successful asssasination attempt occurred after a first failed attempt by his cronies.
Piston Slap
Fantasy
2410th
8/15/2014 10:31pm
Holy Smokes!!!!Shocked

I saw this thread earlier, taped the series, just got around to watching it!!!!!Sad

Brutal, digusting, real total war, Blink

Geez, if you like gore, watch this.

I'm a history buff, this has always interested me, but archival footage brings it home

Ugh!

PsSad
Barrett57
8/16/2014 2:07am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2014 5:36am
Watched a lot of videos and read a lot about WW1. Forgotten voices of the great war is a really good read.

I started looking into my familys history of ww1.

My family all served with the British Army in the first world war, i've only found out about 2 of them so far.

My great uncle (i think) was killed in the trenches around Cambrai on the 12th January 1918 aged 21.

My great grandad was wounded at the battle of the Somme with the Royal Warwickshire regiment in August 1916 when he was in his early 20s.

Still looking for more info on them, it's really interesting, and sickening at the same time.

h&m_cycle
8/17/2014 7:57am
that's wild how it started, that dude got wacked, (from the way one of that specials show worded things), we showed up @ the
end & we treated Italy & Japan like a ugly step child regarding WW1.
8/19/2014 6:33am
You guys should check out Dan Carlin's Hardcore history podcasts. They are a few hours long but only come out every three months or so due to the amount of research that he puts into them. Right now he is into Part IV of a series on WWI called Blueprint for Armageddon

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive
8/20/2014 9:48am
Yeah his shows on the Eastern Front in WWII and the Punic Wars were really interesting.
Nighttrain
6/7/2020 6:35pm
Dan Carlin released a new podcast in Hardcore History “Supernova in the East”. Number 4. It’s really good as are all of his podcasts.
IanMac138
6/7/2020 8:32pm
I've had the privilege of visiting WWI battlefields and trenches in Europe.

Ypres, Belgium was the most haunting of them all. As I drove around, farmers had laid in piles near telephone poles unexploded artillery shells that they had dug up 90 years later when plowing their fields. I was also walking around the battlefield, amongst craters still blasted in the ground with a tour guide...I saw something white and protruding from the ground. The guide knelt down and examined what I saw, and said "yep, this is a human bone. We see them pop out of the earth daily."

It hit me right there how horrible that war was.

Post a reply to: anyone watching WW1 apocalypse on old military chan?

The Latest