New to the desert...PSI recommendations?

Detroit Dick
11/12/2020 10:39pm
I grew up racing and riding in the midwest, with lots of rich soil and loamy tracks = traction! usually ran 13-16lbs depending on conditions. Been out to the desert a lot, lately, and traction is sometimes scarce. One guy I spoke with says he goes as low as 6lbs to get more grip.....seems crazy to me!!! What do you all run for a mix of hardpack and sand...(often together, to keep things interesting) ....anyone go as low as 6 lbs?....
|
BikePilot
11/16/2020 7:07am
Really depends on the rider and details of the trail. I generally run blue box bibs for most western desert riding. If you run a sturdy tire and only down slow technical stuff you can run pretty low pressure. I’ve gone as low as 8. For typical faster desert riding I usually run 15psi or so. Go to low and it’ll swap around in whoops and you’ll tear tires and bend rims.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1694th
11/18/2020 10:39am Edited Date/Time 11/18/2020 10:40am
Heres my logic for all styles of riding on my dirt bike:
Is it flat? No, run it. Yes, air it up to something around mid teens

In trials, Is it flat? No, run it. Yes, air it up to 4-6ish. Laughing

Don't see a huge difference on the dirt bike majority of the time. I ride a variety from woods & some roots one day, to rocks largely the next, and high speed sections here and there. Higher air pressure seems to work good all around and never will be perfect for every scenario. This way i'm not constantly worrying and having to air up/air down my tires.

I notice it more on trials where if i'm over aired it makes every section harder, but once again, 4 or 6 psi, not a good enough rider to know the difference typically.
Timo_2824
11/19/2020 6:48am
1983YZ125 wrote:
Heres my logic for all styles of riding on my dirt bike: Is it flat? No, run it. Yes, air it up to something around mid...
Heres my logic for all styles of riding on my dirt bike:
Is it flat? No, run it. Yes, air it up to something around mid teens

In trials, Is it flat? No, run it. Yes, air it up to 4-6ish. Laughing

Don't see a huge difference on the dirt bike majority of the time. I ride a variety from woods & some roots one day, to rocks largely the next, and high speed sections here and there. Higher air pressure seems to work good all around and never will be perfect for every scenario. This way i'm not constantly worrying and having to air up/air down my tires.

I notice it more on trials where if i'm over aired it makes every section harder, but once again, 4 or 6 psi, not a good enough rider to know the difference typically.
Normally I run 14.5psi, I went riding a few months ago and didn't check the pressure. The trail was a mix of hardpack clay and sand whoops, in the whoops my front got headshake that my bike hasn't ever had before. Got back to the truck and checked the pressure in my front, was 8 psi. Seemed like there wasn't as much bite in the corners as well, but the headshake was definitely noticable and not normal.
Supermega1
11/22/2020 8:36am
I'd first start with Tire selection. The stock tires generally are great for Motocross or SX but are horrible in the desert.

My 2012 WR450 came with Dunlop MX tires and they scared the shit out of me in the desert. The front would knife just looking at sand.

I switched to a Maxxis Desert IT and haven't looked back. I run a 120 instead of a 110, which helps with the straight-line stability as well as helps in the sand. I've even used a 90 upfront instead of an 80 and liked that as well. If you ride a ton of sand that 90 front helps a lot but will make turning on hardpack slower. I also use a heavy duty tube front and rear which is 3mm.

As far as PSI I run 12 front and rear. Seems to have a good combination of being soft enough for traction but firm enough to hold up to jumping Trophy Truck whoops in fifth.

Traction has never been an issue.

The Shop

Detroit Dick
11/22/2020 7:37pm
Supermega1 wrote:
I'd first start with Tire selection. The stock tires generally are great for Motocross or SX but are horrible in the desert. My 2012 WR450 came...
I'd first start with Tire selection. The stock tires generally are great for Motocross or SX but are horrible in the desert.

My 2012 WR450 came with Dunlop MX tires and they scared the shit out of me in the desert. The front would knife just looking at sand.

I switched to a Maxxis Desert IT and haven't looked back. I run a 120 instead of a 110, which helps with the straight-line stability as well as helps in the sand. I've even used a 90 upfront instead of an 80 and liked that as well. If you ride a ton of sand that 90 front helps a lot but will make turning on hardpack slower. I also use a heavy duty tube front and rear which is 3mm.

As far as PSI I run 12 front and rear. Seems to have a good combination of being soft enough for traction but firm enough to hold up to jumping Trophy Truck whoops in fifth.

Traction has never been an issue.

Dunlop MX 53s on it now, they are a little squirrely in the sand..(figured it was more me than the Dunlops)
Titan1
12/16/2020 7:13pm
I’ll run as low as 10 psi in the desert (being mindful of rocks)...for a race I’ll run 13/14 with ultra heavy duty tubes, and I’ve only flatted once in a race.
Rider 5280
12/16/2020 9:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 9:07pm
For race pace in the desert I ran 13 psi front, 12 psi rear (18" rear) with ultra heavy duty tubes. This was good for speeds up to 80 MPH Baja-type riding. I never had a single flat in 100s of hours. I feel like a ton of baby powder in the tire (to allow the tube to move a bit and not get pinched as easily) helped significantly in achieving this success rate.

Keep in mind that your tire pressures WILL rise a bit more than you're likely expecting, too. Mine did for sure. The heat generated by friction (sand/other) is not trivial.
katoom350
1/10/2021 11:21pm
I grew up in Michigan and lived in Arizona for a few years. Started with ultra heavy duty tubes at 14 psi. Then just switched out to running bins for piece of mind.
KennyMc
5/12/2021 6:21pm
I ride pretty much all through out the So Cal desert. Ridgecrest/Fremont Peak/Copper City/JV/Bean/JB....IRC M5B all the time
Crash217
5/13/2021 11:13am
Get bibs, seal the rims and use a lot of lube in them. Then forget about tire pressure for the next 6 months to two years depending how you ride.
6/3/2021 9:59am
Crash217 wrote:
Get bibs, seal the rims and use a lot of lube in them. Then forget about tire pressure for the next 6 months to two years...
Get bibs, seal the rims and use a lot of lube in them. Then forget about tire pressure for the next 6 months to two years depending how you ride.
Explain what you mean by seal the rims?
Crash217
6/7/2021 7:27am
Crash217 wrote:
Get bibs, seal the rims and use a lot of lube in them. Then forget about tire pressure for the next 6 months to two years...
Explain what you mean by seal the rims?
Use some good tape on the inside of the wheel to seal up the spoke holes. Put rubber valve stem into the original valve stem hole. This keeps the wheel from ingesting dirt/water and will make the bibs last much longer. The valve stem allows you push in some air to get the bead to seat properly whenever you're done installing the bibs.

Post a reply to: New to the desert...PSI recommendations?

The Latest