No kickstarters on the new KTM/Husky XC lines

GoldenKTM
Today we found out the the 2020 KTM 250 XC, 300 XC and Husky TX 300 will not come with kickstarters stock.

What are your thoughts on this?

It makes sense to me. KTM designs these bikes to win closed course competition off road races. This means 2-3 hour hare scrambles and GNCCs. I know many take their XC bikes on enduro rides and on long trips, but KTM cares about winning races and that’s what these bikes are for.

I do not think their 2T XC-W line, which is designed for these type of gnarly rides, should lose the kicker. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t have one.
|
4/30/2019 11:31pm
Dont see a problem with them coming off the xc models. The 4 stroke EXCF range ( XCW ) over there alredy have them removed. Haven't had any dramas with our crew. I think the 2 stroke EXC line will keep them as they seem to be pushing those models more towards the hard enduro style riding.
Dixon893
5/1/2019 4:24am
My 15 Beta 300rr had a kicker, I never used it once in the 2 years I owned the bike. My Sherco has no kicker, Ive never needed a kicker, batteries and the starters are so reliable now, I see no need for a kicker.
1983YZ125
Fantasy
1406th
5/2/2019 4:48pm
My '18 Beta doesn't have a kicker.
Not overly thrilled with the idea, and have had 1 no start scenario which thankfully happened at the truck when i was trying to start it to load it in the truck.
Other than that it's been solid. I may add a kicker at some point but not a high priority
PTECH
5/19/2019 1:58pm
Its a lousy way to loose two pounds IMO. Happy my 2014 and my 2019 still has it.

The Shop

navalseabee
5/27/2019 8:30am
Wife has over 100hours on her 2018 XC has never once used the kicker.
Titan1
5/28/2019 4:07pm
I don't like that they don't have kickstarters.

I run a rekluse auto clutch (as do many many off road racers/riders)...that means bump starting isn't an option...so imagine being miles from the truck...electrical issue/dead battery...no bump starting...no kickstarter...in a race that means DNF...on a trail ride (which most all XC line bikes are used for) that means you're stranded.

All offroad bikes should have kick starters.
Tuna
5/29/2019 2:03am
Titan1 wrote:
I don't like that they don't have kickstarters. I run a rekluse auto clutch (as do many many off road racers/riders)...that means bump starting isn't an...

I run a rekluse auto clutch (as do many many off road racers/riders)...that means bump starting isn't an option...so imagine being miles from the truck...electrical issue/dead battery...no bump starting...no kickstarter...in a race that means DNF...on a trail ride (which most all XC line bikes are used for) that means you're stranded.

Dump the auto clutch, problem solved. Bike starts and you learn how to use a clutch...
Titan1
5/29/2019 1:58pm
Titan1 wrote:
I don't like that they don't have kickstarters. I run a rekluse auto clutch (as do many many off road racers/riders)...that means bump starting isn't an...

Tuna wrote:
Dump the auto clutch, problem solved. Bike starts and you learn how to use a clutch...
I can use a clutch just fine, thanks...I've used a traditional clutch for 20 years of riding, and I use the auto clutch the exact same way I use a traditional clutch...the rekluse just eliminates even the possibility of stalling, and that saves time in a race...Well worth the money.
PTECH
5/29/2019 7:18pm
Titan1 wrote:

Tuna wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
I can use a clutch just fine, thanks...I've used a traditional clutch for 20 years of riding, and I use the auto clutch the exact same...
I can use a clutch just fine, thanks...I've used a traditional clutch for 20 years of riding, and I use the auto clutch the exact same way I use a traditional clutch...the rekluse just eliminates even the possibility of stalling, and that saves time in a race...Well worth the money.
Pretty sure you can bump start a bike with a recluse if you adjust the free play all the way in. All you need is a small 2.5 or 3 mm allen wrench. I've never tried it personally but knowing how the clutch works it seems like you could definitely do it in a bind. Still, there are some places you'll never be able to bump start a bike. I hate the fact that my 14 450xcf doesn't have a kicker.
Dauntless
9/15/2019 11:59am
I have twice now been left high and dry in due to the lack of a kick start on my 2018 KTM 250xcf. Once deep in the Bighorn mountains in Wyoming and once in the high plains of Wyoming. The first time I got lucky and was at the top of a hill, the second I had to push the bike about a quarter mile and then up a hill. (The problem turned out to be a corroded grounding strap). Neither time did I have the tools to pull the seat off and get to the problem. I'd gladly take the extra two pounds to have the added insurance. I personally am not happy that I don't have one and don't have the ability to add one. I think its a mistake to pull them off the bikes.
ktm300xcw2018
Fantasy
462nd
10/15/2019 6:05am
Will the TPI 2 stroke bikes start with a dead battery? I believe they need decent voltage for sensors/ecu to function.
euffeh
10/18/2019 1:15am
If you desperately need a kickstarter, for example if you run Rekluse #55712945044
endurox
11/5/2019 2:21pm
Cars used to have hand cranks(model T).
zippytech
11/10/2019 9:14am
Does the electric start take for ever to start compare to a kicker? I know a lot of guys suck at dead engine starts with a button.
crockett
6/28/2020 11:03am
resurrecting this thread to ponder where the kickstart is required..
can you not bump?
i guess if you are by yourself it would be hard to get a bump on flat ground..
but you can't push the bike and bump start in like 3rd?
i just haven't seen a scenario where i would need a kickstart.
Tuna
6/29/2020 9:23am
crockett wrote:
resurrecting this thread to ponder where the kickstart is required.. can you not bump? i guess if you are by yourself it would be hard to...
resurrecting this thread to ponder where the kickstart is required..
can you not bump?
i guess if you are by yourself it would be hard to get a bump on flat ground..
but you can't push the bike and bump start in like 3rd?
i just haven't seen a scenario where i would need a kickstart.
You can bump start.

Post a reply to: No kickstarters on the new KTM/Husky XC lines

The Latest