Off-road/Dual Sport gearing question

pkiczuk
Hey guys, so I have an 18 KLX 250. I am 34 and looking to try my hand at maybe a small off road race this year (first time racing in my life). I know the bike isn't ideal for off road racing but it's what I have and would like to give it a go. I currently have only used it for commuting, and would like to continue commuting with it and was wondering if I should change my gearing for said off road race or if I should keep it stock. It just doesnt seem to be snappy enough in the acceleration dept. for tight trail riding but at the same time its perfectly fine-for me- for on road use.

So realistically I guess I have two questions here:

1) Should I change the gearing for off road use, what might be ideal? Stock its got a 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket and a 42 tooth rear sprocket.

2) Is there a gear ratio that works well for both off road-tight trail as well as comfortable on road? Top speed isn't an issue as I rarely go above 50 on it during my commute. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice!
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
3/3/2020 9:13am
Offroad gearing is generally in the range of 13/49-52. That'd be for pure off road. Probably be too low for commuting though.
pkiczuk
3/3/2020 9:24am
thanks for the reply! I started thinking about the fact that since I will probably only do one to two races this year, it would be easy enough for me to change the gearing just for the races and go back to my stock for commuting. Thanks again!
harescrambled
Fantasy
1992nd
3/3/2020 11:22am
pkiczuk wrote:
thanks for the reply! I started thinking about the fact that since I will probably only do one to two races this year, it would be...
thanks for the reply! I started thinking about the fact that since I will probably only do one to two races this year, it would be easy enough for me to change the gearing just for the races and go back to my stock for commuting. Thanks again!
You're welcome. Remember though you'll need a longer chain for the lower gearing

Post a reply to: Off-road/Dual Sport gearing question

The Latest