1980 XR250S Oil Seal

m1ke20012
We keep trying to put a countershaft oil seal in a 1980 XR250S. Everytime we try which we are on our second, the seal gets pretty much destroyed trying to put it in everytime. There is this ridge on the outside and everytime we try pressing it in or hammering, it messes it up. Im assuming the cases must be split to install this seal from the inside part of the case? Does anyone have any experience or know this for sure?
|
barnett468
10/30/2018 8:57am Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 8:58am
Any time there is a ridge/ lip in a case, the seal must be installed from the opposite side and deep enough so it seats against the ridge. Put oil or grease on the od of the seal and id of the case where the seal goes before installing.

How did you get the old seal out past the lip?
m1ke20012
10/30/2018 12:15pm
barnett468 wrote:
Any time there is a ridge/ lip in a case, the seal must be installed from the opposite side and deep enough so it seats against...
Any time there is a ridge/ lip in a case, the seal must be installed from the opposite side and deep enough so it seats against the ridge. Put oil or grease on the od of the seal and id of the case where the seal goes before installing.

I meant like a seating lip on the inside. Not a lip to keep it from coming. wish I had photos its kinda hard to explain.
barnett468
10/30/2018 12:31pm Edited Date/Time 10/30/2018 12:32pm
barnett468 wrote:
Any time there is a ridge/ lip in a case, the seal must be installed from the opposite side and deep enough so it seats against...

m1ke20012 wrote:
I meant like a seating lip on the inside. Not a lip to keep it from coming. wish I had photos its kinda hard to explain.
Read my post again, it is quite clear. In your case you need to install it from the OUTSIDE, using a proper tool. A big hammer is sometimes required.
10/30/2018 9:15pm
If it is one of those "dome" type seals Honda tends to use, you have to catch the very outer edge of the seal with a proper driver that also clears the dome if it can be driven in from the outside. The center of those seals collapse very easily.

The Shop

m1ke20012
10/31/2018 2:57pm
barnett468 wrote:

m1ke20012 wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
Read my post again, it is quite clear. In your case you need to install it from the OUTSIDE, using a proper tool. A big hammer...
Read my post again, it is quite clear. In your case you need to install it from the OUTSIDE, using a proper tool. A big hammer is sometimes required.
any idea what kinda proper tool
10/31/2018 4:40pm
I believe the cases on that bike split horizontally. The seal edge fits in a groove in the bearing bore. Think the horizontal split engines have to come apart to replace that seal.

Post a reply to: 1980 XR250S Oil Seal

The Latest