1980 Yamaha YZ125......parts wanted

wfoyz250
Edited Date/Time 12/27/2020 1:52am
Hello folks, I am restoring a YZ125 and in need of a good useable cylinder that can be used within and up to 4th overbore. Let me know what you have, condition and what you want for it.
Any leads in obtaining one would be appreciated.
Please email me at wfotex@att.net

Thank You!
|
10/17/2020 4:56am
There’s a good G Facebook page where u could post up a wanted ad.
I just did a cylinder stud write up on the page, as they had issues with pulling studs.
It’s a 1 year cylinder, so getting rare.
Your bike in the pic looks great.
wfoyz250
10/21/2020 8:40am
thanks for the replies. The cylinder is getting a sleeve. In regards to the stud issues, I could not comment on that topic over on the "G" site, as I haven't been given "permission" to do so.
However, I pose this information to Mr. "Trickle".....I removed the studs on the my cylinder before I sent it out, 3 were relatively easy to remove, while 2 needed some heat applied to simplify the removal.
What is it that is causing the problems of studs coming loose and why go the effort of retrofitting Suzuki studs?
I mean, they are screwed into the cylinder just like the factory studs.
Why not use "red" loctite thread locker on the original studs to solve the problem?
I've used it on high performance automotive valvetrain studs and never had a problem with those loosening.

The Shop

450exc115
10/21/2020 9:26am
If the 80 YZ125 cylinder is anything like my 81 YZ465 cylinder the 8mm studs can pull out when getting torqued down. The RM and Honda ran 10mm into the cylinder and then reduced the rest of the stud to 8mm to keep them from pulling out. I just ran long helicoils in my 465 cylinder and I've also run long Timeserts in another cylinder. Just remember that if it is an 8mm diameter stud try to double its length for engagement into a helicoil or timersert as cast alum is soft as butter.
12/27/2020 1:52am
Correct.. the 8mm studs used to pull out, as some of the G cylinder castings were soft.
I used Suzuki 10mm studs that step down to 8mm. However, you can also use new 8mm studs, and get extra long helicoils or timecerts to fit.
This didn't happen to all G's, but there were a lot back in the day that were stretching studs and pulling threads.

Post a reply to: 1980 Yamaha YZ125......parts wanted

The Latest