Anybody here race NEMA in the 80's?

jatharp12
Edited Date/Time 9/1/2022 1:37pm
I grew up racing NEMA for most of the 80's. A lot of really fast guys started there, like Doug Henry, Gene Neumec, Keith Johnson, Mike Treadwell, and Scott Sheik. I always see people here who raced together, but they are all from Ca., Fla, etc. Just wondering if there are any old New England mini riders on here
|
The Sneak
10/28/2009 9:17am
I did but was a novice who only did a couple of races per year, late 80s early 90s.

Remember the rehoboth track around 93? I lived right down the street from it.
jatharp12
10/28/2009 11:37am
No, I raced from '79 to '87. Rehogoth wasnt around yet
maicocd
10/29/2009 7:53am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 2:59am
I'm not much help to you as I did not race NEMA back then, but I did race MAMA.

Do you remember those heated North/South challenges between NEMA & MAMA?
Did you participate in any of those?

Being a kid, I remember taking those races pretty seriously and feeling obligated to put up my best effort for MAMA!

I recall that it started off alternating meeting locations between organizations and then we settled for Broome-Tioga a couple years later as a "neutral" site.

The ones I recall participating in were in '81 at Antietam, '82 Southwick, '83 Broome, ''84 Broome, and '85 Aquasco.

It was interesting to see how our fast guys pared up against NEMA's fast guys.

I remember Chris Fisher and David Antonucchi were a couple of the fast NEMA guys that I can still recall.

That trip up to race at Southwick introduced me to my favorite track of all time. I have since raced there nearly a dozen more times despite the 10 hour drive! I back was there to race as recently as this past August.

I may have some pix from a couple of those challenge races.
jatharp12
10/29/2009 9:58am
malcocd- Yeah those NEMA MAMA battles were awesome. I raced in all of those that you mentioned. My dad was the President of Nema so I remember them quite well. I think the first was in '81 at Hagerstown, I believe. I was number 12 for Nema, and Aquasco was the coolest track ever. If I remeber correctly, in '86 we raced it at a track in Pa. They had a national there, but we raced their supercross style track. I remeber John Mauck and hanging with some guy named JJ. I would love to see some of your pictures. Chris Fisher and Dave Antonucci had some of the best battles I've ever seen. Chris was the first kid I ever saw do a double on an 80. It sounds funny now, but at the time I remeber being amased at it. Dave Antonucci had it all, he was so smooth. He died on a street bike in the early '90s. Did we have two races one year, I remeber I won at Aquasco once. It's funny what you have to say about southwick, but we all loved Aquasco. Those hills would scare the crap outta you.

The Shop

soren346
10/30/2009 6:23am
I was a district 34 rider, but I would do a NEMA race when they had them at the Claverack N.Y track '87-'90. I was a consistant 4th-8th place guy in Sr mini and schoolboy in my district, first time I did one I raced int. and swapped moto wins with Mike Lato, another dist. 34 guy, we both got protested! That's when I really noticed 34 had some fast guy's (Scott Sheak lived 10 min from Claverack).
LoopedOut
10/30/2009 11:24am
I spent a bit of time racing with NEMA in the early-to-mid 80's before making the jump to NESC. The limited number of tracks in the southern New England area and the fact that I just wasn't that fast enough to worry about contending an entire series were the primary reasons for moving on to race NESC and MSC/Dist. 34.

Jatharp - If I recall correctly, your Dad was Cliff, right? Ironically, I was just thinking that no one ever posts stories of some of the fast New England guys from the 80's other than those about Doug Henry or Gene Neumac. Guys I remember as being the top 80/105/125 riders in NEMA were: Dave Antonucchi, Timmy Lemire, Jean Pierre Levesque, Badger Dzielak (sp?)

Fast guys my age were Tony Lorusso, Jason Fowler, Bobby Beach, Wally Silva, Scott Sheak. I think that Gene may be a few years younger than I am (37) but he was big enough to be on a 125 at 12. Chris Fisher had mad speed, but just didn't seem into the full-on competitiveness of racing.

I think I did 2 NEMA vs. MAMA races, one in '86 (in Berwick, PA) and one in '87, which I think was at Budd's. I do remember that I was in 2nd in the race at Budd's and I landed on top of a lapper right after getting the white flag - the track was run in the opposite direction that it is today, and where I crashed was at the top of Henry Hill.

Thanks for bringing back a lot of good memories. Moto was a lot different then - especially in NEMA. Once we moved to NESC, we found that the "family" atmosphere that your Dad helped create was hard to find

jatharp12
10/30/2009 2:48pm
Looped out- what was your name? Yeah, cliff is my dad. My parents are now retired and living in arizona. Those names really bring back a lot of memories. Jon Pierre was so fast, for so long. I started with him in 1980, and he won every year for seven or eight years. Wally Silva was a couple of years younger than me, but always fast. Badger and his older brother Moose were a couple of years older. Bobby Beach was one of the coolest guys I ever met. Unfortunately he also passed away on a street bike around '94 or so. My parents still get christmas cards from his parents. Timmy Lemire was also awesome, I'm not sure what ever became of him. As for Chris Fisher, he wasnt the type of kid who had five bike or anything, so I think he just quit. It's insane its been twenty plus years, it seems like only yesterday. Another fast guy was Greg Anderson. He and I live near each other, and were pretty good friends. I lost touch after I quit racing. My mom still talks to his old neighbor, and last I heard he had moved to philadelphia, but that was years ago.
PassHolder
6/6/2010 8:20pm
Jason ive tried to send you messages thtough here but I keep getting error messages. My email adress is enoughalready128@aol.com send me yoru personal email and I will write to you.

Dave Z
cadyracing
6/7/2010 8:40am
I remember NEMA like it was yesterday!!! my brother raced for years!!!! Craig Cady..
Chris Fisher and my brother were always neck and neck for 1st place!
proecadgod
7/12/2010 12:13pm
I briefly raced NEMA in 1980 then moved to the NESC to race 100's/125's till about 1984. Unfortunately I quit racing to play football...

I'm working on getting some of my old photo's scanned to my computer. I have stuff from 1980 to 1984 (100 novice, 100 amateur, 125 amateur) If anyone is interested let me know.

-Dave
jatharp12
7/23/2010 6:32pm
Cadyracing.. How the hell is your brother doing? Your name was dawn, right? This is Jason Tharp, I lived pretty close to you guys in Nashua. You were a little older than me, but I definately remember you 'cause you were a smoking hot redhead. Tell craig I said hello
proecadgod
8/12/2010 6:56am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2010 10:05am
proecadgod wrote:
I briefly raced NEMA in 1980 then moved to the NESC to race 100's/125's till about 1984. Unfortunately I quit racing to play football... I'm working...
I briefly raced NEMA in 1980 then moved to the NESC to race 100's/125's till about 1984. Unfortunately I quit racing to play football...

I'm working on getting some of my old photo's scanned to my computer. I have stuff from 1980 to 1984 (100 novice, 100 amateur, 125 amateur) If anyone is interested let me know.

-Dave
Here is a few from 1982 of me

NetMXer
8/13/2010 10:37am
maicocd wrote:
I'm not much help to you as I did not race NEMA back then, but I did race MAMA. Do you remember those heated North/South challenges...
I'm not much help to you as I did not race NEMA back then, but I did race MAMA.

Do you remember those heated North/South challenges between NEMA & MAMA?
Did you participate in any of those?

Being a kid, I remember taking those races pretty seriously and feeling obligated to put up my best effort for MAMA!

I recall that it started off alternating meeting locations between organizations and then we settled for Broome-Tioga a couple years later as a "neutral" site.

The ones I recall participating in were in '81 at Antietam, '82 Southwick, '83 Broome, ''84 Broome, and '85 Aquasco.

It was interesting to see how our fast guys pared up against NEMA's fast guys.

I remember Chris Fisher and David Antonucchi were a couple of the fast NEMA guys that I can still recall.

That trip up to race at Southwick introduced me to my favorite track of all time. I have since raced there nearly a dozen more times despite the 10 hour drive! I back was there to race as recently as this past August.

I may have some pix from a couple of those challenge races.
I raced in the inaugural challenge race held at Big Berm back in 76 or 77. I remember those guys from NE talking about this MX338 track that had a paved starting line. Never heard of that until then.
ogksh
8/13/2010 11:40am
I used to race in NEMA 1983 - 1985 with Elmer Johnson, JJ Robins, and Tokyo Steve. We dominated shit. Man, uncle rico would be proud.
proecadgod
8/13/2010 11:54am
I left NEMA in about 1980 to race in the NESC. Some fast kids that moved out of NEMA to the NESC the same year as me were Dennis Wolf, Mike Moran, Richie Sampson. I remember racing against Pat Barton as a 100/125 AM...
jatharp12
8/13/2010 12:43pm
ogksh wrote:
I used to race in NEMA 1983 - 1985 with Elmer Johnson, JJ Robins, and Tokyo Steve. We dominated shit. Man, uncle rico would be proud.
I don't remember any of those guys. Ritchie Sampson, however, was freakin awesome
proecadgod
8/13/2010 12:57pm
The NESC had all th NEMA guys start over as Novices and some of those Guys like Sampson were already super stars in NEMA. I remember seeing Richie Sampson in a 125 novice moto and he shot out of the gate and had like a half a track lead in 2 laps. Guy was practically jumping over other riders...
jatharp12
8/13/2010 5:09pm
proecadgod wrote:
The NESC had all th NEMA guys start over as Novices and some of those Guys like Sampson were already super stars in NEMA. I remember...
The NESC had all th NEMA guys start over as Novices and some of those Guys like Sampson were already super stars in NEMA. I remember seeing Richie Sampson in a 125 novice moto and he shot out of the gate and had like a half a track lead in 2 laps. Guy was practically jumping over other riders...
yeah, I remember when Randy Mccann went to NESC. He destroyed everyone his first race. Most dont know that there was a huge power struggle between Nema and NESC. The 100's were going away, and NESC, which was run by the owners of the tracks, told NEMA that they couldn't run 125's. My dad was pissed, and we ended up not racing the NESC tracks for a year (Southwick, Middleboro, Waterboro etc) After a season, the track owners decided they really liked the extra money, and all was good.
proecadgod
8/16/2010 7:03am
I remember Randy Mccann... yes he was fast!

Southwick was always my favorite track to race, probably due to the fact that it was a Nationals Track and had nice loamy dirt. Middleboro and Pepperell I couldnt stand as they both had a lot of hard pack and rocks.
proecadgod
8/16/2010 10:06am
proecadgod wrote:
I briefly raced NEMA in 1980 then moved to the NESC to race 100's/125's till about 1984. Unfortunately I quit racing to play football... I'm working...

-Dave
proecadgod wrote:
Here is a few from 1982 of me

jatharp12
8/16/2010 12:26pm
Did you know they held a GP at Pepperall? I saw it years after I quit racing, on a viewmaster of all things. A guy I raced with in the 80's, Billy Beach, his dad was on it as the flagger. That track was so friggin rocky, it sucked.
proecadgod
8/18/2010 6:00am
Oh man Pepperell had huge triangular sharp rocks and they were all over the place. It almost looked as if they did some blasting prior to building the track. I always did horrible there and I dreaded riding that track... 2nd worst track was the old Louden, NH Track.

By the way I just picked up my bike yesterday. I got a 2009 leftover RM-Z250... Wink

Time to start riding!
jatharp12
8/19/2010 5:36am
proecadgod wrote:
Oh man Pepperell had huge triangular sharp rocks and they were all over the place. It almost looked as if they did some blasting prior to...
Oh man Pepperell had huge triangular sharp rocks and they were all over the place. It almost looked as if they did some blasting prior to building the track. I always did horrible there and I dreaded riding that track... 2nd worst track was the old Louden, NH Track.

By the way I just picked up my bike yesterday. I got a 2009 leftover RM-Z250... Wink

Time to start riding!
yeah, I lived about ten minutes from Pepperall. Once, I went and rode it after the season, which was totally not allowed, and got two flats on my rm 60. Everytime I see the Nascar race in Loudon I try to point out to my wife where I cracked my kneecap in half. She doesn't seem to care.
smacker
8/19/2010 8:21pm
raced at all those tracks also did those mid 70's north south races was the first time i raced jimmy gibson , mike kelly and that tall dude on that xr 100 jimmy lauer who flat out smoked us . pepperall in 1975 , southwick 1975 and then came to big berm later that year for a rain soaked event. great times !!!
smacker
8/19/2010 8:33pm
growing up in the 70's racing nesc and watching all the 125 - 250 experts like

jimmy ellis
charlie iott
mark robalard
mike gerra
cliff frazie
bennencourt's

80cc riders

spencer morrison
graham barber

and all those old tracks lisbon maine , waterboro , ossipee nh , lunenberg ma
proecadgod
8/20/2010 4:39am
Spencer Morrison and Graham Barber were older guys in the expert class when I was a kid. I remember Graham the most as he was from Hudson and I lived in Stow which is the next town over to his. He used to practice at the same place as myself (Crow Island) and he used to work and the local Huson Yamaha Dealership (If I remember correctly.)

Jimmy Ellis used to do races here and there. What I remember about him the most was one day my Dad was in need of a tool and Jimmy came over with the correct tool and actually helped fix by bike. Just shows you what kind of personable guy he was...

jsteiner
1/25/2011 3:39pm
hey it is Jason Steiner... I used to race NEMA in the mid 80's to mid 90's. if there is anyone still out there that I used to race with email me at jsteiner@eccf.com. I would love to catch up.

Post a reply to: Anybody here race NEMA in the 80's?

The Latest