Avoid Clarke Tanks

MXM
Edited Date/Time 9/24/2020 3:33pm
I bought a new Clarke white tank for my 1987 YZ 125 project and it is not even close to Yamaha white. I sent them a photo and they said they are all that color, I am not trying to be a perfectionist but this thing is not even close! The real bad thing is that they are making me pay to ship it back and won't refund the original shipping charge either, almost $50 cost to me for nothing. If you are going to make a stock size tank for the YZ you should make sure it is the right color, I mean get a shroud and match it and then write the color code down so they come out the right color. They were rude and told me there are no managers or owners that will talk to me and I am just SOL. I am sure some of you will say you love them and how great they are, but great company's don't treat customers like this when they are the ones who can't make the right product. Photo of Clarke tank with a new Yamaha shroud. Oh and I already ordered a new NOS tank from Japan so the bike will look right. Shame on you Clarke!
|
MaxPower
11/22/2013 10:26am
That does suck. Try talking to someone else within the company maybe. Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Even if you don't get it (I think you will) you will cause them some grief in thier day. Go get em
Markout
11/22/2013 10:31am
I would not be happy with that either. Sad to hear companies treating people like this, especially now with the internet, the bad publicity they will get from one tank would not be worth it to me.
newmann
11/22/2013 11:05am
Clarke is Clarke. I've never heard of their stuff being very exact. Definitely not resto quality for what you are trying to achieve. Stand on their asses though!
BM255
11/24/2013 12:17am
Wow that was a close one.....I very nearly bought one from Clarke for my resto, but then I managed to source a genuine Yamaha one for $300.
Glad I did now

The Shop

pete24
11/24/2013 5:05am
if you guys are lucky you will get a tank that was made in the 80s and the color mite match but after all those white tanks turned yellow yamaha reformulated the pigment , so if your part number that used to end in 00-00 ends in something like 10-00 or 20-00 thats how many revisions to the original part there were the 10-00 being one revision, 20-00 two, and so on, both of the tanks i got for the 490 and the 125 are not exact 80s color they are too white , and im nobody special but i tried pretty hard getting in touch with Japan and stuff to get one the rite color, i hope you do better than i did, please post your results when your tanks show up, and in my opinion the clarke tank is just as good as what your going to get color wise, you better hope im wrong
MXM
11/24/2013 7:56am
Hi Pete, I looked at your 87 YZ 125 photo's from your thread and it looks very close to the right color to me, way better than this Clarke tank. That is one of the "new" Yamaha tanks right? It looks really close to the shroud cover color. You are saying the "new" Yamaha tanks are "to white" I think that will be good because the problem with the Clarke is that it not white at all more like off white to egg shell. By the way thanks for the stickers.
BM255
11/25/2013 12:03am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2013 1:53am
pete24 wrote:
if you guys are lucky you will get a tank that was made in the 80s and the color mite match but after all those white...
if you guys are lucky you will get a tank that was made in the 80s and the color mite match but after all those white tanks turned yellow yamaha reformulated the pigment , so if your part number that used to end in 00-00 ends in something like 10-00 or 20-00 thats how many revisions to the original part there were the 10-00 being one revision, 20-00 two, and so on, both of the tanks i got for the 490 and the 125 are not exact 80s color they are too white , and im nobody special but i tried pretty hard getting in touch with Japan and stuff to get one the rite color, i hope you do better than i did, please post your results when your tanks show up, and in my opinion the clarke tank is just as good as what your going to get color wise, you better hope im wrong
Hi Pete,
My new genuine Yamaha tank turned up and it's not an exact match to the shrouds, it's pretty close but not exact. The shrouds are UFO so I'm wondering if genuine Yamaha shrouds would match better.
I'm not overly happy with the fitment of the UFO shrouds anyway so I think I'll order a genuine Yamaha set instead. I have the graphics turning up soon so it would be better to put them on a set of shrouds I'm happy with in the first instance.

By the way, the part number for my tank ends with 10-01 so it looks like this is one of the revised parts with the new formulation.

Here's a pic of the new Genuine Yamaha tank against the UFO shroud.

pete24
11/25/2013 5:50am
pete24 wrote:
if you guys are lucky you will get a tank that was made in the 80s and the color mite match but after all those white...
BM255 wrote:
Hi Pete, My new genuine Yamaha tank turned up and it's not an exact match to the shrouds, it's pretty close but not exact. The shrouds...
Hi Pete,
My new genuine Yamaha tank turned up and it's not an exact match to the shrouds, it's pretty close but not exact. The shrouds are UFO so I'm wondering if genuine Yamaha shrouds would match better.
I'm not overly happy with the fitment of the UFO shrouds anyway so I think I'll order a genuine Yamaha set instead. I have the graphics turning up soon so it would be better to put them on a set of shrouds I'm happy with in the first instance.

By the way, the part number for my tank ends with 10-01 so it looks like this is one of the revised parts with the new formulation.

Here's a pic of the new Genuine Yamaha tank against the UFO shroud.

when you get the oem shroud its going to be more off white, but more correct , if thats a bike your going to ride then keep what you got, if your going to just look at it as i do with my 87 collection you should get the oem plastic just so you can say its oem, but your running into the same problems i did
MXM
11/25/2013 6:47am
I guess I better just plan on being disappointed in the white's not matching no matter what I do. By the way it's nice if you can just order the oem Yamaha shrouds for your year because the 87 is no longer available. Pete, any idea were I can find another set of oem shrouds for the 87 model? The UFO stuff looks to shinny to match. Oh and any leads on the original gold handle bars for this thing?
pete24
11/25/2013 7:00am
MXM wrote:
I guess I better just plan on being disappointed in the white's not matching no matter what I do. By the way it's nice if you...
I guess I better just plan on being disappointed in the white's not matching no matter what I do. By the way it's nice if you can just order the oem Yamaha shrouds for your year because the 87 is no longer available. Pete, any idea were I can find another set of oem shrouds for the 87 model? The UFO stuff looks to shinny to match. Oh and any leads on the original gold handle bars for this thing?
i think i have a right side oem rad shroud, ill look, i ordered oem handlebars for my 490 and when they showed up they were black, thats when i was taught the 00-01 part number thing, i have black bars on my bikes, but i just got a original 87 brochour and now i have something to go by and ill paint the bars gold, your going to have a hard time with the BASS cable i have two and need one, if you have a source for that lemme know
Kidkawie
11/25/2013 8:06am
Trying to use aftermarket parts for a concours resto hardly ever pans out. Go buy a fender for a KX from Kawasaki, Acerbis, UFO and Polisport...they're all different colors.
MXM
11/25/2013 5:02pm
My bass cable is perfect, somebody just disconnected it and left it hanging and it is fully functional. Yes it looks like I will have to paint the bars gold also, sniff.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
11/25/2013 7:21pm
Kidkawie wrote:
Trying to use aftermarket parts for a concours resto hardly ever pans out. Go buy a fender for a KX from Kawasaki, Acerbis, UFO and Polisport...they're...
Trying to use aftermarket parts for a concours resto hardly ever pans out. Go buy a fender for a KX from Kawasaki, Acerbis, UFO and Polisport...they're all different colors.
X2 they sound like a bunch of woman whining about 40 different shades of white. That's egg shell or cotton or antique white but not whiteLaughing . It looks pretty good to me, I have got several tanks from Clark in yellow , blue and red for different bikes and they all looked just fine. If you want OEM then buy OEM and ifs its no longer available then too bad.
MXM
11/25/2013 9:04pm
Like I said in the opening statement, I am sure some of you love Clarke tanks, but the point of this was to say how rude and non-professional the company is not really to dis there tanks; It just turned into a thread about how to make your YZ white match. I am sure your other tanks look great, but when you are trying to make a perfect resto the color matching is very important, and if the top photo looks "pretty good" to you then you are either blind or really have no since of color.
MXM
12/2/2013 10:53am
Well I now understand why the Clarke tank does not match at all. I talked to the owner of the company in hopes they could change the color formula when pouring the molds to make them match better; She told me they don't make the tank or pour the molds, that they get them some place else and just re-sale them. She also said that the same "white color" is used in all the white tanks from 1974-2013 and none are brand or year specific. So there you have it. I am glad I found a new "nos" tank in Japan.
newmann
12/2/2013 11:33am
So then, what exactly does Clarke Mfg. manufacture?

You guys complaining about NOS parts and colors should see the two NOS 1976-78 CR125 Honda front fenders I have. Obviously Honda ran out and had an aftermarket company make some for them. Totally different than stock, looks vacuum formed out of translucent plastic with some small ribbed reinforcements plastic welded to the underside and painted Tahitian Red. One was a freebie from a friend and the other was a little bit of an Ebay burn with poor quality pics in wrapping paper. They are NOS Honda parts though.....Sad
Kidkawie
12/2/2013 11:51am
The only shocking thing in this thread is you found a NOS tank. lol
MXM
12/2/2013 1:44pm
Newmann I have no idea what they "manufacture", its' crazy. Kidkawie, ya I am excited to get that oem tank, there are four left in Japan, I guess three left now since I bought one.
BM255
12/3/2013 12:54am
newmann wrote:
So then, what exactly does Clarke Mfg. manufacture? You guys complaining about NOS parts and colors should see the two NOS 1976-78 CR125 Honda front fenders...
So then, what exactly does Clarke Mfg. manufacture?

You guys complaining about NOS parts and colors should see the two NOS 1976-78 CR125 Honda front fenders I have. Obviously Honda ran out and had an aftermarket company make some for them. Totally different than stock, looks vacuum formed out of translucent plastic with some small ribbed reinforcements plastic welded to the underside and painted Tahitian Red. One was a freebie from a friend and the other was a little bit of an Ebay burn with poor quality pics in wrapping paper. They are NOS Honda parts though.....Sad
I hear you on that one Newmann, I have quite a few parts that have turned up that I was disappointed with due to quality and or condition. They are all NOS Yamaha parts too. I set out to use OEM parts whenever available but some of the aftermarket parts were better and looked more correct so I used them instead.
Bono480
3/28/2014 8:33pm
Wish I read this before I wasted $330 on a Clarke tank Sad

barkhard696
3/28/2014 9:12pm
>Wish I read this before I wasted $330 on a Clarke tank

As far as a problem with a Clarke tank for the '95-6 CR250 Team Honda clones, what's the diff? The tank is covered with the graphics anyway. I have a fairly decent '95 Doug Henry repro, and it's impossible to tell the difference between the tanks after the graphics.

If I remember correctly, you were the guy who was going to restore yours "as new," so pony up the dollars for NOS.

At least if you're restoring (and I've been there), go in with eyes open that you are going to have to troll eBay and outspend someone for the part. There's no magic formula or shortcut... Right? Check out my avatar. I spent probably $1K on NOS plastic and an NOS seat on that bike. That's what as new means.

>Newmann I have no idea what they "manufacture", its' crazy.

Should Clarke just shut down? Unless someone can contradict me, you have problem because they are selling replacements-- NOT reproductions?

Think about the flip side. See how fun it is to find a tank for odd bikes nobody else has (like Yamaha ITs and so on).

If you're restoring, fine, pay a premium for NOS when you can find it. For a rider buy Clarke. I used a Clarke tank on a '97 RM250 that was super low hours (but had cracked OEM tank). Matched perfectly.

And as far as outsourcing, get used to it. Years of Trickle Down economic policy and endless spending for things other than investment to produce great engineers and builders have sent manufacturing elsewhere.
Bono480
3/28/2014 9:23pm
I'm doing a mc replica, the difference on the stickers is huge

I think this will be noticeable at the top of the tank, I don't have shit loads of money to throw at this bike so I think I'm going to just have to deal with it
dogger315
3/29/2014 1:42pm
Bono480 wrote:
Wish I read this before I wasted $330 on a Clarke tank :( [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2014/03/28/49576/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
Wish I read this before I wasted $330 on a Clarke tank Sad

Don't beat yourself up over the Clarke. I have a NOS Honda tank and it's not as white as that fender or the White on that 100%
shroud graphic. It's also the same exact color as the other NOS Honda tank I bought years ago, so it's not an aberration. I
would say that Clarke is a nice match to the frame which is really what you want. Here's a picture of a brand new OE Honda
CR250 tank. To me, it looks pretty close in color to your Clarke:

Striving to get all the colors to match on a bike is noble, but believe me, the manufacturers didn't put that much time or effort in
to doing the same. Colors and shades varied in each production run as well as from each OE vendor. For instance, the best
way to tell if a Honda "Red Rocket" has been over-restored, is when all the Red matches. When Honda built those bikes, some
frames were a slightly different shade compared to the engine, and some engines were a slightly different shade than the plastic.

As far as using aftermarket parts for a "concours" level resto, again, this goes back to what your idea of concours is. To me,
concours means the bike looks just like it did when sitting in the dealers showroom (also known as "showroom" quality). To
others, concours may mean a perfect example of that bike i.e. a bike taken off the assembly line then gone over with any
part not perfect being replaced. This would be a showpiece used for an event or promotion. If your idea of concours is the
latter, be prepared to sort through the aftermarket plastic if you want plastic to exactly match the OE colors. Most of the OE
plastic that's still available is going to be a different shade than what was originally offered as some of you have already found.
I ran into this with my '93 CR250. The OE front and rear fenders are much darker than the original Nuclear Red that came on
the bike due to color variation over the years. Fortunately the aftermarket came to the rescue because I was able to find a
much better match through UFO.

Finally, regarding the poor customer service from Clarke, this is not the first time I've heard of this. Seems like there is a sweet
niche market waiting for some entrepreneur to start an injection molding business casting fuel tanks. Between the restorations
and the Aluminum frame conversions, looks like there would be a steady stream of customers for the foreseeable future.

dogger
Banana_oil
3/29/2014 2:45pm
I guess that the colour mismatch can have to do with that tanks are made from PE and fenders are made from PP. Coorect me if I'm wrong.
12/23/2018 4:57am
I enjoyed reading this thread. I have a 1986 YZ125. How does one get a NOS tank from Japan?is Clark still the only other choice?
mad300exc
12/26/2018 4:30am
It's too bad they were rude to you. I have purchased three tanks from Clark. Two for my IT's and one for a Husky. All are race bikes so I don't care about cosmetics.
Yes, the blue doesn't match, nor does the white on my husky, but fuel will turn them another shade once you start mixing gas and haulin ass...

It's unfortunate that a post like this gets so much negative attention. Having 35 year old replacement parts is very valuable to me since I restore race bikes.
If Clark stopped making these tanks, most of these bikes would end up in the scrap pile.

Try not to put them out of business just because of your experience. There are other guys out there that rely on companies like this to keep our old bikes racing.

Not trying to start a war, but I'd like to see this thread get deleted. thanks Mike

12/27/2018 9:33am
I think the thread getting deleted is a bit much. After reading this thread I would still use Clark if I had to but now they are a last resort. I have a yellowed gas tank so am off white Clark tank would not be much better. Maybe the thread will help to make the product better. Maybe Clark should put a statement on their product page stating that the tank is not a perfect match. Then customers are not misled.
12/27/2018 1:10pm
My friend is really into white plastics on his cr's this is for an 05 year. Each brand was a different shade of white ufo acerbis oem cycra polisport all different.
Rocky739
12/27/2018 6:13pm
Sooooo.... I'm sucked into this like a tractor beam... I have questions...
1: Why would anyone buy a aftermarket tank for a concourse level restoration where points would be deducted for color match, a non correct part would surly be a bigger penalty? I get it for the Ferrari, Mercedes restoration crowd but is this even a thing for plastic tank dirt bikes? A NOS OEM tank that's been stored away from light is your only option, even then I'd be shocked if it matched anything.
2: Why would you expect it to mach anything perfectly? The OEM parts available today aren't even the same color as 20-40 years ago! It's a dirt bike, as mentioned every plastic manufacturer has variations on color not to mention variations in batches and raw materials within manufacturer... I thought the tank looked reasonable when all these factors are taken into consideration.
Honestly, I understand the customer is always right but they can be unreasonable. It's an inexpensive aftermarket gas tank for a racing machine that will (should) be getting pelted with rocks and mud slung onto it... Clarke had every right to blow off the guy complaining about a slight color mismatch, they offered a return to him and only asked he pay return shipping, they make no parallel to themselves and OEM, they do make reasonable replacement and oversize tanks that sorta fit. It's like people that bitch about DC plastic, it was never meant to perfectly match OEM parts, it simply fills a void, hardly a reason to wish any company out of business.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
12/27/2018 7:42pm
Clark tank looks great on my project bike. Great company and great products.

Post a reply to: Avoid Clarke Tanks

The Latest