CALVMX AND AHRMA NATIONAL AT PERRIS 2-17-2019

barnett468
1/21/2019 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 2/24/2019 8:46pm
anyone here going to this?

i'll be there on my 1980 "GERITOL" YZ250 and might race my 1981 YZ465 also if I can hang on to it for more than 5 minutes.

https://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2019/Nationals/VMX/Posters/Perris_19…

It looks like calvmx might be hosting the ahrma race but i'm not sure just yet. I emailed calvmx to get the details. calvmx has a different year break down for classes than ahrma does, so i'm waiting to find out how that will work for this particular race as well. Either way, it should fun and there should be a lot of vintage bikes to see.

for whatever reason, they are going to use the small vet track.

|
Since73
1/24/2019 10:22pm
My buddy and I will be there. We're trying to talk some more Texans into it, but no commitments yet. We both ride 125's; he in GP and Ultima Intermediate and myself in GP and Ultima Expert. From what I hear of the PV scene for West Coast ahrma, we may just be racing each other. But... we've been wanting to visit our SoCal buddy Red Crawford with our bikes for a while now, and the fact that a race is there at the same time is a bonus. We plan to practice ride a different track while we're there as well; likely Milestone or Lake Elsinore. .

barnett468
1/24/2019 11:25pm
Since73 wrote:
My buddy and I will be there. We're trying to talk some more Texans into it, but no commitments yet. We both ride 125's; he in...
My buddy and I will be there. We're trying to talk some more Texans into it, but no commitments yet. We both ride 125's; he in GP and Ultima Intermediate and myself in GP and Ultima Expert. From what I hear of the PV scene for West Coast ahrma, we may just be racing each other. But... we've been wanting to visit our SoCal buddy Red Crawford with our bikes for a while now, and the fact that a race is there at the same time is a bonus. We plan to practice ride a different track while we're there as well; likely Milestone or Lake Elsinore. .

when will you be out here?

have you ridden elsinore or perris or milestone before?

calvmx is having a race at perris this sunday on the vet track and are changing it some, so the layout this sunday may be the same as the one they use for the ahrma race and i will be at both of them unless something else i need to do comes up. i would prefer they use the big track but i will still have fun...as long as i stay on my bike, lol.

Since73
1/25/2019 5:11am
We'll roll into SoCal on Thursday morning, Feb 14th. Have never ridden any of the current tracks. My last time to ride in Cali was around 1975 when I rode Indian Dunes on Friday night and Saddleback Saturday! The goal was to also race Carlsbad on Sunday (the dream trifecta for a young TX kid), but I fractured my ankle at Saddleback).

If you use a GoPro, please post this weekends vid so we can get a preview of the track!

If you had a preference for a practice day, would you hit up Milestone or Lake Elsinore? We're thinking Milestone Vet track, but of course we've never been there. It may also be closed that Friday due to a TransWorld series race that weekend. Not sure about that, so we're going to call them today.

We'll also race the ahrma opener in Arizona Feb 3rd. Haven't ridden since mid-Dec, so I'll have to ease into that one.
barnett468
1/25/2019 7:43am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 7:48am
Since73 wrote:
We'll roll into SoCal on Thursday morning, Feb 14th. Have never ridden any of the current tracks. My last time to ride in Cali was around...
We'll roll into SoCal on Thursday morning, Feb 14th. Have never ridden any of the current tracks. My last time to ride in Cali was around 1975 when I rode Indian Dunes on Friday night and Saddleback Saturday! The goal was to also race Carlsbad on Sunday (the dream trifecta for a young TX kid), but I fractured my ankle at Saddleback).

If you use a GoPro, please post this weekends vid so we can get a preview of the track!

If you had a preference for a practice day, would you hit up Milestone or Lake Elsinore? We're thinking Milestone Vet track, but of course we've never been there. It may also be closed that Friday due to a TransWorld series race that weekend. Not sure about that, so we're going to call them today.

We'll also race the ahrma opener in Arizona Feb 3rd. Haven't ridden since mid-Dec, so I'll have to ease into that one.
Thanks for the update.

There is no transworld race that weekend so you could go to milestone if you want. Either location would be just as good to practice for the perris race, however, you can also ride the track at perris on weekends too if you want. They also have night practice at perris but they sometimes over water the track so there's not much point imo.

I prefer going to elsinore because it is only 4 miles from my house, plus there are several different tracks to ride on there but the vet track would be the most similar to the perris track.

perris, elsinore, and milestone are all more hard pack type tracks, with no sand per se.

bummer about missing carlsbad, it is quite unique. carlsbad, saddleback sunday, and the ocir night race were my most regular tracks baxk in the mid 70's to early 80's.

there are a bazillion gopro vids of milestone, perris, and elsinore on youtube but i can find some that might be the most useful to you.

as far as how to practice, i practice taking the inside of the turns as often as possible, because anyone can fairly easily ride the berms on the outside but it takes more skill to take the inside, especially if there is no berm. also, this way, if you go into a corner at the same time as someone on the outside, you can often drift to the outside exiting the turn and cut them off. i have done it countless times, lol.

what year are your bikes and your age and skill level?

The Shop

barnett468
1/25/2019 7:56am
here's one video of a recent calvmx vintage race on the perris vet track. at least 75% of the track will most likely be identical to this layout for the ahrma race. there are no hairy do or die type jumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECW17pvoTM
Since73
1/25/2019 9:36am
Thanks for the video link; getting fired up to ride now! We're both late 50's dudes riding 125's, mostly because they are still the most fun bikes on the planet and....it always feels like you are going very fast whether you are or not; haha. My buddy rides Intermediate on a 79YZ125 and 84YZ125. I will move to expert this year on a 79YZ125 and 82RM125. We basically travel together and race against each other most of the time when the 125's are combined.

Friday the 15th will be our only opportunity/day to practice. Saturday would be possible, but I'll already be worn out from Friday. Will let you know where we'll be when we firm up our plans.
barnett468
1/25/2019 5:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 6:29pm
Since73 wrote:
Thanks for the video link; getting fired up to ride now! We're both late 50's dudes riding 125's, mostly because they are still the most fun...
Thanks for the video link; getting fired up to ride now! We're both late 50's dudes riding 125's, mostly because they are still the most fun bikes on the planet and....it always feels like you are going very fast whether you are or not; haha. My buddy rides Intermediate on a 79YZ125 and 84YZ125. I will move to expert this year on a 79YZ125 and 82RM125. We basically travel together and race against each other most of the time when the 125's are combined.

Friday the 15th will be our only opportunity/day to practice. Saturday would be possible, but I'll already be worn out from Friday. Will let you know where we'll be when we firm up our plans.
wow, that is a lot of 125's. there will be plenty of 125's there, probably including scott burnwurth and maybe nick la paglia and maybe dave miller and a few others, so you definitely won't be alone.

i'll ,look for some other videos as well. the jumps come up quick after the turns, so all you need to do is rev the bejesus out of them exiting every turn and you will be fine. one thing to consider also, is to bring extra gearing as you may want to change it to get out of the turns faster. i went from 14/48 to 13/50 on my yz250 and i still have to slip the bejesus out of the clutch exiting every turn and i never use 1st gear or get into 6th, lol.

here's a newer video. this is exactly how the track is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlcVNO40sDs

1/28/2019 1:07pm
Can't believe it was almost a year ago I raced there. Track was great and had a blast, which we could make it this time.
barnett468
1/28/2019 7:02pm
#214 wrote:
Can't believe it was almost a year ago I raced there. Track was great and had a blast, which we could make it this time. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/28/321411/s1200_28378465_10213653047514002_6847217327240228709_n.jpg[/img]
Can't believe it was almost a year ago I raced there. Track was great and had a blast, which we could make it this time.
i raced there yesterday with calvmx. after the race they had their year end raffle drawing for miscellaneous items and they also gave away a motorcycle.

the weather was superb, and the track layout was fun, but unfortunately they have a very bad habit of over watering it in the mornings which makes it muddy for practice and the first few, races which then makes deep ruts, so several of the nice wide turns become one lane only turns which makes it much harder to pass. if they actually knew how to properly prep a track, their tracks would be xlnt. they have the same problem at the milestone track when i have raced there. they watered the top of one jump so much that my bike would sink down into it like quicksand when i landed and it scrubbed off a lot of speed.

Since73
1/29/2019 8:37am
I've noticed in several of the videos the track conditions you've mentioned, that the insides of the turns were still mushy while everyone was using a single line around the outside. That sucks, but it is what it is, and I'll still be stoked to be there. First up is Arizona this weekend.
barnett468
1/29/2019 9:00am
Since73 wrote:
I've noticed in several of the videos the track conditions you've mentioned, that the insides of the turns were still mushy while everyone was using a...
I've noticed in several of the videos the track conditions you've mentioned, that the insides of the turns were still mushy while everyone was using a single line around the outside. That sucks, but it is what it is, and I'll still be stoked to be there. First up is Arizona this weekend.
Oh no doubt, it will still be a blast, and you should have a great time. We can possibly connect at perris also if you want.

As far as the mushy inside of the turns goes, I sometimes take the inside right at the very edge of the track because it is sometimes not nearly as bad, but this takes a lot more effort, otherwise, you can just rail the bejesus out of the nice big berms that develop on the outside, plus that will help you maintain speed for the jumps that come around 20 feet after every turn.

scott burnwurth and nick lapaglia were both in my race, so when they passed me I tried to watch their lines to possibly learn a little something, but that only lasted for 2 turns at the most, lol.

If you guys take a video or photos at the az race, feel free to post them. It will be fun to see.
CD
1/31/2019 6:07am
Here's some video from the Calvmx race last Sunday at Perris, Evo 3. Short track with lap times around 1:07 so sign up for multiple classes if you want to get some seat time in.

Since73
2/5/2019 9:27pm
CD wrote:
Here's some video from the Calvmx race last Sunday at Perris, Evo 3. Short track with lap times around 1:07 so sign up for multiple classes...
Here's some video from the Calvmx race last Sunday at Perris, Evo 3. Short track with lap times around 1:07 so sign up for multiple classes if you want to get some seat time in.

Thanks for the vid CD! Track looks like it has some fun vintage style jumps. Arizona gave me an idea how hard and slick some of those turns can be when everyone uses the same path.
barnett468
2/5/2019 10:05pm
CD wrote:
Here's some video from the Calvmx race last Sunday at Perris, Evo 3. Short track with lap times around 1:07 so sign up for multiple classes...

Since73 wrote:
Thanks for the vid CD! Track looks like it has some fun vintage style jumps. Arizona gave me an idea how hard and slick some of...
Thanks for the vid CD! Track looks like it has some fun vintage style jumps. Arizona gave me an idea how hard and slick some of those turns can be when everyone uses the same path.
No prob, you're welcome, and yeah, the jumps are good for vintage bikes, and none of them are the "do or die" type, so you can safely go as fast or as slow as you want over them. If you go to perris, bring gears for low end!

Did you race ahrma in az, and if so, was there many people?

Are you going to make it to perris next weekend?

Since73
2/5/2019 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/5/2019 10:39pm
CD wrote:

Since73 wrote:
Thanks for the vid CD! Track looks like it has some fun vintage style jumps. Arizona gave me an idea how hard and slick some of...
barnett468 wrote:
No prob, you're welcome, and yeah, the jumps are good for vintage bikes, and none of them are the "do or die" type, so you can...
No prob, you're welcome, and yeah, the jumps are good for vintage bikes, and none of them are the "do or die" type, so you can safely go as fast or as slow as you want over them. If you go to perris, bring gears for low end!

Did you race ahrma in az, and if so, was there many people?

Are you going to make it to perris next weekend?

Yep, made the Arizona race and had a great time. I don't know the exact attendance, but heard several mention the entries being around 300-320. Majority were vintage, but surprisingly (given past numbers for this race) there were quite a few post-vintage as well. Not too many AHRMA entries; most were local riders there for the first round of the ADVRA series. I won the 125 GP Expert class on my 79YZ, with Jim Marchbank of CO right on me each time; fun stuff. But..spent some "ground time" while racing the 82RM125 with a classic "low-side" slideout in a very slick turn - a really dumb place to try steering into the turn with the rear brake. Lesson learned for Perris, and yes, my buddy and I will be there for the 17 Feb AHRMA race! Still planning on a practice day at Milestone on Friday the 15th as well.

Hope to meet you and maybe pit near/next to you at Perris. Really looking forward to it. Haven't raced in Cali since I was 15 years old.

Since73
2/5/2019 10:42pm
Our pit area at AZ Cycle Park.
barnett468
2/5/2019 11:22pm
Since73 wrote:
Yep, made the Arizona race and had a great time. I don't know the exact attendance, but heard several mention the entries being around 300-320. Majority...
Yep, made the Arizona race and had a great time. I don't know the exact attendance, but heard several mention the entries being around 300-320. Majority were vintage, but surprisingly (given past numbers for this race) there were quite a few post-vintage as well. Not too many AHRMA entries; most were local riders there for the first round of the ADVRA series. I won the 125 GP Expert class on my 79YZ, with Jim Marchbank of CO right on me each time; fun stuff. But..spent some "ground time" while racing the 82RM125 with a classic "low-side" slideout in a very slick turn - a really dumb place to try steering into the turn with the rear brake. Lesson learned for Perris, and yes, my buddy and I will be there for the 17 Feb AHRMA race! Still planning on a practice day at Milestone on Friday the 15th as well.

Hope to meet you and maybe pit near/next to you at Perris. Really looking forward to it. Haven't raced in Cali since I was 15 years old.

lol, you're pretty funny.

i will pm you my email and phone number and we can try to get together there. i don't think they will have half as many people at perris. the usual turnout for vintage with the calvmx club is around 50 riders, so unless a lot of other riders show up for the ahrma thing there won't be a big crowd.

so far it looks like the weather will be xlnt and the only reason for the track to be muddy is from the over zealous water guy. i am considering getting there early and taking the rotor out of the water trucks distributor.

my guess is that scott burnwurth will be there so you will get to race against him. he goes to a lot of calvmx's events and was in one of my races they combined last week.

CD
2/6/2019 10:01am
CD wrote:

Since73 wrote:
Hope it helped, tracks should be in good shape and not too dry like they usually are with all this recent rain. Nice job in AZ, sounds like they had a great turnout. Like Barnett said turnout for this is usually pretty low may even worse this year as the other vintage club is racing at Glen Helen REM track the same day.
BR8ES
2/6/2019 12:44pm
you guys are so freakin' lucky to have these events/series that actually have good turnout.
Since73
2/19/2019 2:39pm
Well...that sucked. Got to my bud's house in Huntington Beach on Thursday and it's 45 degrees and pissing rain. By mid-afternoon, the race had been cancelled. So...with little hope of doing ANY riding over the weekend, we decide to cut our losses by getting one night's rest and driving back to Houston. Just a huge waste of time other than seeing our Cali racing bud while there; victims of the 10% (dry 9 of 10 days in SoCal each year).

Looks like it cleared up Fri/Sat/Sunday morning, so not sure if anyone was riding in SoCal on Sunday? I'm sure the decision to cancel was legit, and saved a lot of folks from driving, just very disappointing.

Now I'm hearing the race is re-scheduled for this next weekend! No thanks; I've had enough driving for a while.

barnett468
2/19/2019 3:41pm
Since73 wrote:
Well...that sucked. Got to my bud's house in Huntington Beach on Thursday and it's 45 degrees and pissing rain. By mid-afternoon, the race had been cancelled...
Well...that sucked. Got to my bud's house in Huntington Beach on Thursday and it's 45 degrees and pissing rain. By mid-afternoon, the race had been cancelled. So...with little hope of doing ANY riding over the weekend, we decide to cut our losses by getting one night's rest and driving back to Houston. Just a huge waste of time other than seeing our Cali racing bud while there; victims of the 10% (dry 9 of 10 days in SoCal each year).

Looks like it cleared up Fri/Sat/Sunday morning, so not sure if anyone was riding in SoCal on Sunday? I'm sure the decision to cancel was legit, and saved a lot of folks from driving, just very disappointing.

Now I'm hearing the race is re-scheduled for this next weekend! No thanks; I've had enough driving for a while.

Yeah, major bummer to go all that way. As far as the local tracks went, they were all closed so nobody could ride them over the weekend. The problem was not the rain so close to the weekend, it was the amount of rain. We had over 8" in less than 24 hours. It was a biblical flood, and there were several mudslides near where I live, so even now perris and elsinore are currently still closed, but they will definitely have the race this weekend but it will still probably be a mud fest.

barnett468
2/22/2019 10:11pm
Just got confirmation that this race will be run this Sunday and they claim the track is not muddy.

barnett468
2/24/2019 7:48pm
Just in case anyone was curios what the 1st place trophies for the 250 and open class (any size bike) AHRMA Annual Vintage Motocross Race held at Perris Raceway today looked like.

Since73
2/24/2019 8:45pm
Congrats barnett!! Double class wins are awesome! Glad to see it was finally dry enough to race. We'll be heading to round 3 in Florida next month. Surely I couldn't get rained out on both coasts, could I?? Nah....

Post a reply to: CALVMX AND AHRMA NATIONAL AT PERRIS 2-17-2019

The Latest