Chain Breaking and Riveting Tools Recomendation

Any ideas on what chain breaking and riveting tool to get? I tried a set from Amazon (inexpensive) and it won't rivet the CK chain link. In my opinion, it's a piece of s***. The chain pins that should flair are making dents into the tool and not mushrooming the heads of the pins. It's a 520 MX chain. Is the Motion Pro better?
|
wfoyz250
10/23/2017 4:49am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2017 4:52am
Why wouldn't you use a master-link to join the chain-ends together?
I've never heard of anyone trying rivet a chain.

Also if you have a bench grinder, gring the top of the rivet flush to the link and use a hammer and properly sized punch and knock the link out.
10/23/2017 5:49am
Yeah, I never had a chain that needed to be riveted before, but it's an o-ring chain and the master link is the type that needs rivited.
omalley
10/23/2017 8:12pm
Yeah, I never had a chain that needed to be riveted before, but it's an o-ring chain and the master link is the type that needs...
Yeah, I never had a chain that needed to be riveted before, but it's an o-ring chain and the master link is the type that needs rivited.
I had one of the DID X-ring chains come with a rivet masterlink a few years back. I swapped it for their equivalent standard clip masterlink and lived happily ever after. I think the rivet style are common in street bikes. Could be that the chain is for either.

The Shop

Rocky739
10/24/2017 7:10pm
Always go motion pro tools. Good stuff and they support vintage MX.
Rivet links are slightly narrower and less prone to failure due to the fact there’s no chincy clip holding it together, that said in the 35 years I’ve been riding I’ve never had a clip style master link fail but I have worn them out and replaced them before failing.
You’ll need a link press to install whichever you choose
I’m sure there’s a couple good videos on Rocky Mountain MC website. It will all become clear.
David934
10/25/2017 4:37am
wfoyz250 wrote:
Why wouldn't you use a master-link to join the chain-ends together? I've never heard of anyone trying rivet a chain. Also if you have a bench...
Why wouldn't you use a master-link to join the chain-ends together?
I've never heard of anyone trying rivet a chain.

Also if you have a bench grinder, gring the top of the rivet flush to the link and use a hammer and properly sized punch and knock the link out.
I ve read I think was here on Vital, that KTM Factory team riveting his chaines, no using master-link. Rivet(breaking) tool is good also for enduro or wood trips.

Post a reply to: Chain Breaking and Riveting Tools Recomendation

The Latest