Honda engine black- how much gloss?

chuckie108
8/4/2016 11:09pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2019 10:22am
Hey friends, need some advice. My cases are now prepped and ready for paint. My cases were very beat, so I don't have anything clean to check the color against. I've got two versions of black paint. One is pretty flat(clutch cover), the other is more
Satin(inner and water pump cover). Can
anyone give me feedback on what the proper color is for Honda cases?

|
8/5/2016 12:16am
Personally i'd go with the flatter of the 2. But, both look really good and I think you could use either.

Stevie
Oldnslo
8/5/2016 12:55am
Pick the one you like best and use it...,they are both very nice....The flatter of the two is closest to factory but it's your bike so there are NO rules...
newmann
8/5/2016 6:53am
The matte finish is the one I would choose. But it seems every paint company has a different idea what satin and matte mean. I've tried a bunch and think I finally have my mix dialed pretty good. Sure ended up with a lot of semi shiny cases along the way...lolLaughing

The Shop

Oldnslo
8/5/2016 9:16am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2016 9:17am
Don't hold out of us Newman....Share the mixture with the rest of us mire mortals....I really liked the PJ1 formula's if a rattle can was all a guy had to resort to using but even they discontinued one of their best formulas...
newmann
8/5/2016 9:52am
Oldnslo wrote:
Don't hold out of us Newman....Share the mixture with the rest of us mire mortals....I really liked the PJ1 formula's if a rattle can was all...
Don't hold out of us Newman....Share the mixture with the rest of us mire mortals....I really liked the PJ1 formula's if a rattle can was all a guy had to resort to using but even they discontinued one of their best formulas...
Glasurit single stage urethane with matte additive. You have to use twice as much additive as what they say to get an actual matte finish similar to the outer cover pictured above.

You can catch a glimpse of the engine here compared to the glossy frame. Same paint with additive for the engine.

Oldnslo
8/5/2016 10:41am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2016 10:42am
Thanks Joe...great stuff that probably took you some time to get figured out......it's perfect !
chuckie108
8/5/2016 1:23pm
newmann wrote:
Glasurit single stage urethane with matte additive. You have to use twice as much additive as what they say to get an actual matte finish similar...
Glasurit single stage urethane with matte additive. You have to use twice as much additive as what they say to get an actual matte finish similar to the outer cover pictured above.

You can catch a glimpse of the engine here compared to the glossy frame. Same paint with additive for the engine.

Damn that's a good looking machine!

I'm using PPG single stage with flattening agent as well. The most annoying part is you add 10%, and it flattens 2%, so you add 10% more, and it flattens 3% more, so you add 10% more,and it flattens 3% more, so you add 10% more and it flattens 50%. hahahaha Very tricky to get the right mix. And then how you apply it will affect the finish as well- kinda like tuning a 2 stroke, a little bit of an inexact science. Which is why I've been experimenting with the side cases first, they're easy to reblast and repaint. I know many on here are fans of aerosols, but I'm worried a non-catalyzed paint will not be durable enough.

Thanks everyone for the input. I figured the flatter finish was closer to the OE finish, but I wanted to get some input before pulling the trigger. Stripping cases down to bare is a lot of work, and I don't really want to do it more than once. I also don't want to have to "live with" the finish on the engine. I've come too far to do that.
newmann
8/5/2016 2:53pm
chuckie108 wrote:
Damn that's a good looking machine! I'm using PPG single stage with flattening agent as well. The most annoying part is you add 10%, and it...
Damn that's a good looking machine!

I'm using PPG single stage with flattening agent as well. The most annoying part is you add 10%, and it flattens 2%, so you add 10% more, and it flattens 3% more, so you add 10% more,and it flattens 3% more, so you add 10% more and it flattens 50%. hahahaha Very tricky to get the right mix. And then how you apply it will affect the finish as well- kinda like tuning a 2 stroke, a little bit of an inexact science. Which is why I've been experimenting with the side cases first, they're easy to reblast and repaint. I know many on here are fans of aerosols, but I'm worried a non-catalyzed paint will not be durable enough.

Thanks everyone for the input. I figured the flatter finish was closer to the OE finish, but I wanted to get some input before pulling the trigger. Stripping cases down to bare is a lot of work, and I don't really want to do it more than once. I also don't want to have to "live with" the finish on the engine. I've come too far to do that.
I did the PPG thing for over 20 years. Was brainwashed to think "paint is paint". It was an eye opening experience when I finally ventured out.Laughing

And yes, you can mix PPG flattening base the same ten different times and have ten different levels of gloss.
avmechanic
8/5/2016 3:15pm
I think the flatter finish is a little better looking. I am in the same boat. Looks like on the same engine. I have an 88' CR250 engine I have been working on and can't quite find the right satin finish. I did the VHT Caliper paint in Satin and it looks pretty good but the gloss changes from can to can and slightly with oven curing. I have a NOS clutch case I am trying to match. It looks pretty good but seems tough to get it right.
Greg
chuckie108
8/5/2016 5:34pm
newmann wrote:
I did the PPG thing for over 20 years. Was brainwashed to think "paint is paint". It was an eye opening experience when I finally ventured...
I did the PPG thing for over 20 years. Was brainwashed to think "paint is paint". It was an eye opening experience when I finally ventured out.Laughing

And yes, you can mix PPG flattening base the same ten different times and have ten different levels of gloss.
Yah- we sprayed DuPont for 20 years, before switching to PPG a few years back. Can't say I'm super impressed(it does have some issues), but they do give us decent service(which we appreciate). I have noticed anyone who sprays Glasurit raves about it though. May take a look at it at the end of our next contract. I'll never purchase any Axalta (DuPont) product as long as they are owned by the Carlisle Group(i.e. Caliber). I always dread matching matte/satin colors in our shop- it's a pain in the arse! Living it again here with this project! hahaha Good thing I love dirt bikes so much!!:-)
Oldnslo
8/5/2016 5:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/5/2016 5:43pm
Going to try glasurit on some government work we have coming up...looking for something new to spray...
swatdoc
8/5/2016 9:16pm
Joe what color code are you using? I only have the Dupont code - B9262K
chuckie108
8/8/2016 11:41pm
Finally got the cases all sprayed. Turned out great. Tough thing about these projects is they snow ball. Now my cases look nice, so can I bring myself to put them together with old bolts? My poor wallet is hemeraging! LOL

wfoyz250
8/9/2016 6:16am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2016 6:18am
When I was restoring cars years ago, I used PPG DX685 flattening agent mixed with PPG DELTRON black on chassis components.
The mixing formula offered 3 degrees of flattening, i.e. "flat , eggshell and semi-gloss".
Like Joe mentions........basically the amount of oz. added to color to get desired finish.
Vini
9/21/2017 4:50am
chuckie108 wrote:
Finally got the cases all sprayed. Turned out great. Tough thing about these projects is they snow ball. Now my cases look nice, so can I...
Finally got the cases all sprayed. Turned out great. Tough thing about these projects is they snow ball. Now my cases look nice, so can I bring myself to put them together with old bolts? My poor wallet is hemeraging! LOL

What paint did you use for the flatter finish and what paint did you use for the other finish?
RyanLester761
9/21/2017 10:23am
Ya, what did you end up using? I think a satin/low gloss (but not matte/flat) looks good. I'm about to paint my 1992 cr125 cases.
David934
9/22/2017 2:34am
chuckie108 wrote:
Finally got the cases all sprayed. Turned out great. Tough thing about these projects is they snow ball. Now my cases look nice, so can I...

Hey, i think coloring with spray does last not long. Better is powder coating. Side of bolts, you can use old bolts but they need blue galvanizing. Prepare all single bolt with wire brush on drill and put it into nearest zinc company. Im sure that your wallet does not remain empty. Picture shown prepared bolts before zinc.

ktm_kev
9/11/2019 6:47am
chuckie108 wrote:

Sorry to revive this old thread chuckie108, but what paint did you use for the flatter finish and what paint did you use for the other finish?
racer187x
9/11/2019 11:53am
I was talking to the guy at Malcolm Smith who does the bike restorations last year. This is what he uses:

dcfitz
9/11/2019 12:16pm
I use PJI engine black, case paint. Not flat black, just has enough sheen to make it look great!
chuckie108
9/11/2019 1:59pm
No worries buddy, that's the point of this forum in my eyes- a resource where we help each other resurrect the glorious machines of yesteryear.

The paint I use is made by PPG and it's called Del Fleet Essential. It's an industrial application paint used on equipment like buses, trucks, planes, etc.. It's easy to spray and so far very durable. I also used it on my '78 YZ400 that I restored. I did the cases, hubs etc. with it, and it has been very durable so far. My bike probably has 10-15 hours on it and it's barely rubbed off the clutch cover. The flattening agent I mix in it is PPG DX-10. The only draw back is it can be tough to get the flatness correct as I stated above. Good luck
ktm_kev
9/13/2019 10:22am
racer187x wrote:
I was talking to the guy at Malcolm Smith who does the bike restorations last year. This is what he uses: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/11/372520/s1200_DA9C8CAE_CFEB_4279_8F90_65B19F5C8B24.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/11/372521/s1200_C2DC2400_8C4B_451F_93A7_5900E78FB349.jpg[/img]
I was talking to the guy at Malcolm Smith who does the bike restorations last year. This is what he uses:

That is the one I'll be using as well. Tried the PJ1 Satin but, in my opinion, its not quite glossy enough. Thanks for the info

Post a reply to: Honda engine black- how much gloss?

The Latest