Steve Lamson CR125

4/4/2018 1:18am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2020 7:51am
Hi guys I'm about to build another 1990's CR125 . I have a couple of choices of whist to do but unsure of what they originally looked like completely and which one would be a winner or a turkey .
I have a full set of original pinky orangey salmony , Tecnosel Team USA kit but no complete photos of the bike to copy the rest .
I also have the Steve Lamson Team USA 1997 seat cover made by 100% but no graphics .
I enclose the photos of what I have , still in the original packets from 20+ years ago .
Ideally if any of you have full photos of the bikes other than the ones I have posted please post them up . Also your thoughts on the more desirable build of the two . Im still refusing to do a McGrath replica , they look great but I'm after one off looks ideally . Thanks for any help

|
Banana_oil
4/4/2018 12:55pm
I vote for the 95 tecnosel kit. Lamson used those colours at 96 Mxdn, maybe your kit is the 95 Mxdn kit? I would guess the fender graphics were the same or very similar to the 95 ordinary team kit. Looks like they added an american flag to the front fender.

The 95-96 McGrath kits are on so many builds but is still very good looking so your kit would be slightly different. The 97 is cool also and more rare but I guess it wouldn't look as good in a digital reproduction.

Keep us updated!
4/5/2018 1:43am
Thanks for your thoughts !
Anyone with good full photos of TEAM USA 125 MXDN photos of 1995 1996 1997
Would be great for confirmation and for Build reference .
Regards Phil
avmechanic
4/5/2018 9:23am
I think the Technosel kit looks pretty cool and would be different. I would probably go for it. I love the look of replica bikes especially ones you don't see all the time. Best of luck on the project.
Greg
4/5/2018 9:59am
Thank you Greg , I just need to find some photos to try and replicate , I have loads of old stock bits and bobs , I'm currently building one a year at the moment , great fun and a sort of investment .

The Shop

4/8/2018 12:09am
After not much joy with finding any Steve Lamson pinky sort of graphic photos , I had better luck with the MXDN 1997 ones that were used at Nismes in Belgium .
Eurosport covered the event and you get a snippet of the bike . Some clues show Showa A forks , black grips , red and white Renthall bar pad . You can see the graphics , not super clear to be honest I can't work out what some of the other words ( sponsors ) are on the Fox ' blue and red' shrouds . But this build seems quite do-able ..

cvm
4/8/2018 3:32am
Bills Pipes? the black letters?
Best wishes w/the build
4/8/2018 3:51am
Thank You , never thought it would be that . I thought it looked like a Pro Circuit Pipe
Phil
cvm
4/8/2018 4:01am
Thank You , never thought it would be that . I thought it looked like a Pro Circuit Pipe
Phil
Its a wild guess, the type-set looks like it. I'm not saying that's it Smile
4/8/2018 7:01am
That's definitely a Bill's Pipes logo. Nice graphics! Either set will look great / unique.
4/8/2018 7:16am
Nice pic , not much changed then from the 96 to the 97 Graphics , just lots more blue , with the red stripes .. I don't think we get Bills Pipes over in the UK . But I've seen the silencer on Ebay now . It's going to be fun trying to find a set of Showa A forks too ...oh the joys of motocross
4/8/2018 7:29am
Keep your eye on ebay for a Bill's pipe (they are fantastic). I scored 2 x NOS YZ125 pipes (a '95 and a '97) a few years ago. The '97 pipe was modified to fit my '97 TM125. I have a soft spot for the '96 CRs (had a 250 back then), so I'll be following this build for sure. All the best mate.
4/8/2018 8:34am
Yeh I will have to change my search to include USA rather than just U.K. I have amassed some awesome stuff over the years for the 94-96-97 CR's . I have a set of WP 50mm forks Rob Herrings , carbon silencer, OS brakes , & some nice billet stuff. There are about three I would like to build , The Lamson one should be really unique as I've never seen a 97 one in any builds or photos .
Rocky739
4/8/2018 8:57am
I was lucky enough to score this bills pipe for my 97. 30 bucks and not too far from me. Bills might be able to make them still as a one off. Wouldn’t be cheap but it’s a very small shop.
Mines off being straighten and blasted now. I bought the Bills silencer to match it. Be fun to see how it compares to the stock exhaust.

da

4/8/2018 9:47am
Thanks for the close up Bills Pipe Detail , I've never seen one before !
bad juju
4/8/2018 5:51pm
Rocky739 wrote:
I was lucky enough to score this bills pipe for my 97. 30 bucks and not too far from me. Bills might be able to make...
I was lucky enough to score this bills pipe for my 97. 30 bucks and not too far from me. Bills might be able to make them still as a one off. Wouldn’t be cheap but it’s a very small shop.
Mines off being straighten and blasted now. I bought the Bills silencer to match it. Be fun to see how it compares to the stock exhaust.

da

call Bill, last time I talked to him he said he had sold all the tooling. I think flow bought the stuff from Bill, but I could be wrong. it wouldn't be the first time, wont be the last..
chuckdavies
4/9/2018 3:16am
Will be an interesting build to watch. Are you doing a full replica or just one to look like it? The actual Lamson bike had next to no OEM parts, it was a full HRC machine.
4/9/2018 4:14am
Hi Chuck , gotta go full HRC , not sure I can get a pipe though but someone has the Showa suspension and billet triple clamps . Engine all done . Trying to find original graphics ., I have the original seat cover .
We would not build these if it were easy !! Or cheap
4/9/2018 6:34am
Rocky739 wrote:
I was lucky enough to score this bills pipe for my 97. 30 bucks and not too far from me. Bills might be able to make...

da

Nice find! Hey Phil the pipe you want will have the updated logo. It is similar to the current logo used on Bill's exhausts. You should reach out out to Bill Cervera - apparently he is a real nice guy. He may have the pipe you want gathering dust on a shelf.. or possibly knows of someone who has one. Let him know what you're building, as he may have photos too. I dare say he will have the decals you will need for the shrouds too..
Rocky739
4/9/2018 7:20am
Nice find! Hey Phil the pipe you want will have the updated logo. It is similar to the current logo used on Bill's exhausts. You should...
Nice find! Hey Phil the pipe you want will have the updated logo. It is similar to the current logo used on Bill's exhausts. You should reach out out to Bill Cervera - apparently he is a real nice guy. He may have the pipe you want gathering dust on a shelf.. or possibly knows of someone who has one. Let him know what you're building, as he may have photos too. I dare say he will have the decals you will need for the shrouds too..
Thanks, Kid claimed it was off a 95 CR125... Does anyone know when the tag changed? There isn't anything stamped in the pipe to say what it is.
It's at Fusion One pipe repair being refurbished right now. Considered contacting Bill's to see if he would send me a new style tag but I kind of like the triangle...
Sorry to Hijack post.
4/9/2018 10:17am
No problem , I think the more people helping out the better at these builds . I will look up Bill regarding the pipe .
Banana_oil
4/9/2018 11:06am Edited Date/Time 4/9/2018 11:07am
I wonder what hrc engine parts that Lamson had. What did the production rule allow in 97? I have seen Hrc sand casted cases for cr125.
4/9/2018 11:50am
I'm sure the spec was HRC crank , tuned standard head and barrel , Bills Pipe, Showa A shock and Forks , Billet triple clamps , oversized front rotor . Also HRC sprockets .
So not to bad to trace . Not sure about the carburettor .

HRC crank virtually impossible to find
Showa A suspension ( in talks )
Bills Pipe ( will have to make some enquiries , but have leads now )
Carburettor , unsure but a friend has a bored and tuned one .
Sprockets they still do HRC pattern
Brakes , lots of options .
Shroud graphics and Decals ( more photos required ) and if not original
Will have to get replicated .
Rocky739
4/9/2018 5:06pm
I'm sure the spec was HRC crank , tuned standard head and barrel , Bills Pipe, Showa A shock and Forks , Billet triple clamps...
I'm sure the spec was HRC crank , tuned standard head and barrel , Bills Pipe, Showa A shock and Forks , Billet triple clamps , oversized front rotor . Also HRC sprockets .
So not to bad to trace . Not sure about the carburettor .

HRC crank virtually impossible to find
Showa A suspension ( in talks )
Bills Pipe ( will have to make some enquiries , but have leads now )
Carburettor , unsure but a friend has a bored and tuned one .
Sprockets they still do HRC pattern
Brakes , lots of options .
Shroud graphics and Decals ( more photos required ) and if not original
Will have to get replicated .
What did you do to your cylinder and head?
4/11/2018 4:34am
I have a few to choose from , HNR tuned Engine , SRS and Honda standard set up . I think I will just get mild tuning on this ad I don't know if I can get a pipe yet . As always if unsure go stock .
Rocky739
4/11/2018 6:54am
Ha Indeed, I put mine bone stock. Honestly the Honda is pretty nice inside anyways, not a lot to gain cleaning up ports... I've got my eyes out looking for a 98/99 powervalve setup as that looks to be the biggest gain for 97 and back's leaky design. Possibly a .1mm thinner base gasket from a cart shop... Haven't ridden a 125 since 2000 so kinda afraid I'm spoiled by modern 450 power!
If a bag of money hit me in the head it would be cool to send it to Tom Morgan Racing for a full race motor.
Bill's pipe is on it's way back from repair shop, sorry had to rub that in, lol.
Once I get mine out of my basement I'll update my thread!
MaxPower
4/11/2018 2:48pm
find a way to get that bag of money. Tom will make that the fastest CR125 and he is a pleasure to deal with. Worth every penny
4/11/2018 10:16pm
Thanks Max & Rocky I will have to look up Tom Morgan , it does sound like he's the man , we only have a few tuners in the UK & this bike build looks like it will have to have a few American parts on it to look authentic .
4/13/2018 2:18am
I am surprised Bills are not producing the pipe for these bikes again. Would love one for my 125 and seems like they would be very popular.

Post a reply to: Steve Lamson CR125

The Latest