Noleen fork mod 1984 YZ 250

oldsocalmxr
10/12/2017 1:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/11/2017 10:48am
Had Noleen re-valve the front forks on my YZ. They had been done by another firm prior to me owning the bike. The previous owner was about 175lbs, I'm a touch over 230 Whistling .... so.... I re-sprung the forks for my weight and tested the bike. The forks were terrible. I expected them to blow through the travel because of the incorrect damping, but they ended up severely spiking about mid-stroke. Tried to rip the bars out of my hands 4th-5th gear chop. I figured Clark would be a good choice to do the forks, and I was right! Night and day difference! Still need to do a little fine tuning, but what a difference! Would recommend the fork mods to anyone with a vintage MXer they plan to race! Now that the front is done, will be sending them the rear shock to have them perform some magic on it!Smile

|
MaxPower
10/13/2017 6:57am
Got a shock for my 83 Kx125 from him. I feel it's good as any modern bike suspension
mb60
10/14/2017 7:42pm
Can I ask what Noleen charged ? I have stiffer springs and emulators already on it ?
oldsocalmxr
10/16/2017 8:45am
mb60 wrote:
Can I ask what Noleen charged ? I have stiffer springs and emulators already on it ?
Not sure what retail would be as I have a bike shop and work was done at dlr cost. Even if I had to pay retail for what they did, I would do it in a heartbeat. My bike no longer has any emulators in it, and the forks now use 7wt fork fluid. I just had the basic stuff done.....no hard anodizing or other "trickery". I am impressed enough that I am sending the shock up to have it transformed as well.
You can call them for a quote over the phone @ 760-955-8757
Rocky739
10/17/2017 5:30pm
Glad to hear they did good work, I put Emulators in my 84 Husky and was super disappointed. I can't believe people rave about them, I've ridden fully rigid MTB's that were more forgiving!
Got them working ok now after going waayyy off the recommended settings...

The Shop

Kidkawie
10/19/2017 7:36am
I think the key to emulators is the ability to adjust them.
oldsocalmxr
10/19/2017 11:19am
Rocky739 wrote:
Glad to hear they did good work, I put Emulators in my 84 Husky and was super disappointed. I can't believe people rave about them, I've...
Glad to hear they did good work, I put Emulators in my 84 Husky and was super disappointed. I can't believe people rave about them, I've ridden fully rigid MTB's that were more forgiving!
My forks had a terrible mid-stroke spike that would cause the fork to virtually lock up. All the previous "mods" and emulators were removed. Noleen did their mod which not only made the forks work exceedingly well, but allowed the use of 7wt fork fluid.
Well worth it!
Rocky739
10/24/2017 6:17pm
Rocky739 wrote:
Glad to hear they did good work, I put Emulators in my 84 Husky and was super disappointed. I can't believe people rave about them, I've...
My forks had a terrible mid-stroke spike that would cause the fork to virtually lock up. All the previous "mods" and emulators were removed. Noleen did...
My forks had a terrible mid-stroke spike that would cause the fork to virtually lock up. All the previous "mods" and emulators were removed. Noleen did their mod which not only made the forks work exceedingly well, but allowed the use of 7wt fork fluid.
Well worth it!
That’s a perfect description. Mine were mega over dampened on small bumps and locked up on completely on mid speed hits. It did handle G outs pretty well that was about it. They would have sucked on a MX track but REALLY sucked in the woods!
I made some pretty radical changes and they are better now. But wayyyy too much time and brain power invested into what’s suppose to be a plug and play item.
Think it’s one of those things that people buy into the marketing and hype and don’t want to admit it sucks or maybe they simply can’t tell.
I told several people over the weekend that where bitching about their emulator forks about Noleen fixing them.
11/5/2017 8:53am
MaxPower wrote:
Got a shock for my 83 Kx125 from him. I feel it's good as any modern bike suspension
Is that a complete new shock or a modified stock shock?
MaxPower
11/8/2017 5:07pm
MaxPower wrote:
splime 738 wrote:
Complete new shock. Worth every penny
I figured why mess with 1983 technology. Suspension is important . I didn't want to chase my tail making the stocker with 4 clicks of rebound ttying to work. For me I made the right choice. Love how my bike handles now.
11/11/2017 10:48am
MaxPower wrote:
splime 738 wrote:
MaxPower wrote:
Complete new shock. Worth every penny I figured why mess with 1983 technology. Suspension is important . I didn't want to chase my tail making the...
Complete new shock. Worth every penny
I figured why mess with 1983 technology. Suspension is important . I didn't want to chase my tail making the stocker with 4 clicks of rebound ttying to work. For me I made the right choice. Love how my bike handles now.
I might be interested in getting one made, they obviously have all the dimensions now, any pics?

Post a reply to: Noleen fork mod 1984 YZ 250

The Latest