Non-powder coat “flo green”

731chopper
Fantasy
390th
4/27/2018 10:17am
I’m not a paint guy so I don’t really know what to ask specifically but I’m looking for a paint that is close to the flo green PC used but isn’t powder coat.

I’m looking to get a tank for my 1975 KX painted flo green but because most tanks at this point have been repaired with bondo, powder coating isn’t an option. Does anyone have any experience with getting this color?
|
RyanLester761
4/27/2018 1:21pm
I would go to an automotive paint supply shop and tell them what you need. They can probably mix you the paint and then refer you to a local painter to shoot your tank.
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
4/27/2018 4:12pm
Thanks for the input Ryan. I've got a guy that has done a tank for me and he said he's got a paint guy that can match almost any color if its on metal so I could bring him my Splitfire bike and that may be what I have to do.

I was curious if anyone had done this before. When I was a kid my old man and I painted my kx85 frame with what was supposed to be flo green in just a rattle can but the color wasn't right.
newmann
4/27/2018 4:42pm
Some of the “flo” paints were a tinted clear over a white base and they sucked. Not sure what all is out there today that will hold up and not fade horribly. Hit up the local auto paint store like someone mentioned above and see what’s current. Those original KXs sure look good though so please proceed with caution!Wink
Rocky739
4/27/2018 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 8:03am
As a paint guy that sprays Go Daddy green (kinda like flo green) I can tell you that newman is right and a candy fluorescent dye over white is the probably the only way you will get the look, as in all things paint I could be wrong and basecoat or single stage color may be possible with some line of paint out there.
Newman is also correct that fluorescent candy is very likely to fade very quickly even with very little exposure to sunlight.
I would pay to get it powder coated and I get free paint.

The Shop

4/27/2018 8:18pm
I have used Mopar lime green before with good results, I don't know if that's the correct name but it was a factory mopar color for the old roadrunner. its really close,
TTperra
4/29/2018 4:24pm
I used "Kawasaki Lime Green" on my sons Kx65, could not find flo green.
It have a satin finish so have to put clearcoat to get it shining, think it is white pearl in it (looking close it have a small metallic look)
Have no Flo Green parts so i can compare, but it looks good
731chopper
Fantasy
390th
4/30/2018 9:37am
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Newmann, I’ve still got a tank for the bike that will be more or less original. I know flo green is somewhat blasphemy for this old KX but I’m 30 years old so when I got into moto as a kid, flo green was the shit and I’d like to have some of that on my vintage kawi.

Unfortunately this past weekend wasn’t great for my bike so I’ve got bigger fish to fry now. My rear brake started sticking on in my first moto and the brake pedal return spring also broke off. Then in the second moto something broke internally in my forks and nearly made me crash. Not having a back break or functioning forks made for a wild ride, lol.

Post a reply to: Non-powder coat “flo green”

The Latest