Ohio & Michigan Riders

JUSTG
4/6/2011 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2011 2:15pm
I actually see Alan King around town now and again. I talked to him last week and he said he kind of stopped racing/riding cold turkey like a lot of us did. He is a builder now by trade. I think he was probably the fastest tall dude other than Mike Bell. If I recall, he was the 500cc AMA Rookie of the Year in 79 or 80 ?
JUSTG
4/6/2011 2:25pm
That track looks like the original mid ohio? Although I maybe mistaken, used to be allot of fun to ride and had all the big name races back in the day.

Does look like Ohio. I went there a few times with Dave Hollis when he was doing the last few Trans USA/AM series. He was actually the last Trans USA champion ( I believe it was 82) Was pretty cool to go there in a red Nissan pickup and an open trailer and see him win it all. I think that was the race where Hannah put some duct tape on the skid plate of Doug Domokas (sp) bike and wrote "IM GAY" on it. He rode a wheelie around the entire track and probably wondered why fans were extra loud and rowdy when he wheelied past.

Another fond memory was getting a ride back to the hotel in a rental car, which used to be those front wheel drive GM products. One of the factory guys was going about 45mph as we passed the hotel. Dave told him he was going past the hotel so he slammed the gearshifter into reverse. Back then you could just leave it and call AVIS, now they probably bill you 20k and want to charge your criminally.....the good old days
dmcleaner
12/3/2011 7:22pm
What about Jimmy VanAndel??? He was 4th in the nation at one time on 125s. He kinda went bust when Kawasaki came up with those lame early 1980's production bikes.
hodgesbmx
7/22/2013 7:22am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2013 7:36am
Anyone remember Valley Competition Cycle out of Saginaw, MI in the 70's? Some riders off hand David Hahn, Jim Hodges, Stanley Greer, Bob Flanders. just a few I remember. All riding Maicos.

The Shop

Zoom
7/23/2013 5:17pm
BobbyM wrote:
darren rhoten was from ohio..no
?
Darren Rhoten was from Kansas. Moved to the Dallas area towards the end of his racing days.

I
Zoom
7/23/2013 5:19pm
Don't forget about Todd DeHoop, Jeff Stanton, Scott Ruis, John Grewe, Matt Maximohf, Jeff Emig, Brian Swink, Matt Crown. Thats the ones I have ridden with...
Don't forget about Todd DeHoop, Jeff Stanton, Scott Ruis, John Grewe, Matt Maximohf, Jeff Emig, Brian Swink, Matt Crown. Thats the ones I have ridden with in the past and a few still today!
I actually just got a whole bunch of 87-88 RM parts from Todd DeHoop the other day!
Jeff Emig was from Kansas. Moved to California after he turned pro.
Old-Man
11/25/2013 2:22pm
Frank Shapanski was a fast mofo from that neck of the woods
BigAl
11/25/2013 4:26pm
District 11 Allen Janes?
downard254
11/28/2013 1:26pm
BigAl wrote:
District 11 Allen Janes?
Holy crap, I remember Allen James. I think he used to jump cars too. Also, to the earlier post about Brian Moose, I used to battle with him at Honda Hills in the 250B class in 1985.
Dave927
11/28/2013 6:14pm

Ernie Horvath Baja Acres 1980
Dave927
11/28/2013 6:22pm

Pontiac SX 1979 (i think)
Frankie
11/29/2013 11:43am
It's great seeing some of these names again after so many years. There was a Don Goss that I think was out of Hartland MI that ran Nationals for a few years, in the 73 thru 75 time frame if I remember right.

My home track was Mustang Acres in Brighton, sure miss that place. Now full of houses, though you can still see some of the old track up top near the expressway.
Dave927
11/29/2013 1:07pm
Mustang Acres was closest to me as It was my home track as well as favorite. I always glance over across the e-way to see the top portion of the track too, great, great memories from camping and racing there.
flomiester
11/30/2013 5:42pm
just a couple more Mike Keeler and Rick stone I rode also if anybody remembers a penton with front forks cut down and put on the rear I was happy then if I finished in the top 20 back then Keller was up front a lot .
1/1/2014 9:48pm Edited Date/Time 1/1/2014 9:51pm
Montesa38 wrote:
Im not from Michigan, but bought a bike in 2002 from a guy who rode under the same tent as Mark Hinkle for Montesa...1977-79.....the story of...
Im not from Michigan, but bought a bike in 2002 from a guy who rode under the same tent as Mark Hinkle for Montesa...1977-79.....the story of the Hinkle family was one of the most unbelievable Ive ever heard...perhaps you Michiganders remember him.....Mark was 1980 AMA Racing athlete of the year....he was joined by RC,Tim Ferry and James Stewart, among others...must of been really good, before he fell off the map.....
MPM64 wrote:
Know this is an older post but I will chime in with what I know about the Hinkle family...They were slightly before my time but were...
Know this is an older post but I will chime in with what I know about the Hinkle family...They were slightly before my time but were at many of the races I attended coming up thru the classes. Very friendly but misunderstood people. Almost motocross gypsies if you will.

Not uncommon for them to race 3-4 times a weekend chasing the Michigan District 14 titles in whatever classes they were in. Milan on Friday night, Saturday day race at wherever the event was, Saturday night race at Delta Ohio, and then back for The Sunday day race. Travelled in an older beat up motorhome with a Wells Cargo trailer.
Must have really burned through some gas in a weekend as they lived on the southwest side of the state.

Mark was the older of the two boys and rode mostly big bore Maico's in my day. Scott mostly rode 100'c and 125's on Suzuki's. Not sure if Mark won the 1980 500cc Amatuer National at Millville but I do know that Scott won the 100cc class that year. Pretty sure Mark won the 500 class in 1981 at Red Bud though. I don't believe either brother ever moved up to the pro ranks and I have no idea what they may be doing at this time. They were both extremely fast.

They are related to the Akin family, most famous of which is Lisa Akin. One of the pioneers of women's MX and a very fast rider as well.
I'm not from michigan or minnesota, but I used to race Maicos in motocross events around the midwest. I followed the amateur championship series and was at the Millville Amateur National championship the year Mark Hinkle won it on a Maico. He was so smooth that he didn't look like he was going fast at all. And another rider I noticed riding a Maico was a guy named Shane Hruska riding a 250 Maico. He was a wildman on that bike, fast and had no fear. That Millville track was probably the Best track I ever raced on!! I've always wondered what ever happened to Mark Hinkle, to my knowledge he never turned pro. Anyone have any ideas about what ever happened to Mark Hinkle?
1/1/2014 9:56pm
JimmyD123 wrote:
Jeff Spreeman (American Competition) - no longer rides and is a welder in Adrian, MI Paul Walker (RPM and Husky) - is an E/R doctor Billy...
Jeff Spreeman (American Competition) - no longer rides and is a welder in Adrian, MI
Paul Walker (RPM and Husky) - is an E/R doctor
Billy Paxton (ERG?) - was racing cars, currently unknown what he is doing (it was PDQ, not ERG)
Denny Bentley (Honda and Suzuki) unknown, but quite a jerk
Bigelow Brothers, Kirk, Kip, Kris, Kreg - Team Dynamic) Kip is still racing
Jeff and Louis Snider (Power Rider/RPM) RPM = Ripping People off for Money
Frank Lamp (RPM) had cancer, not sure if he beat it
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky) unknown
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?) was an engineer at Chrsyler

Here is a couple of guys who you might remember from my hometown who were top 125A riders in the early 80's and often raced in Delta, OH, Nels Larson & John Wojtala
Also, remember the Hinkle brothers, Alan King & Shane Hruska?
- Jimmy D
Yeah I remember Shane Hruska and Alan King cuz they both rode Maicos and were Very Fast.. Shane was a wildman on his Maico and Alan was smooth and steady.
Detroit Dick
5/10/2014 1:37am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2014 9:08am
I rode a bone-stock Yamaha 80 (bought at Dynamic)in district 14 1974-76 and a TM 100 in 1977. I considered it a huge success when I could avoid being lapped by Kip Bigelow...(I only managed this a half dozen times) My best bud and racing partner was Ray Genick, who raced Suzukis 100/125s and one year (77?) rode in the Silverdome. I grew up down the street from the McKenzie Brothers, Ronnie and Brett (Scott). They were both fast and dedicated, and I know Brett finished as high as 5th in the state on an RM125. Rusty Hibbs is a guy I remember being real fast as well as well as this kid outta Caddilac named John Rendquist. Great times back then, nothin but fun. My favorite track was Morelands(?) in Stanton, lots of hills! Also dug Brown City, Petoskey, Baja Acres, Mustang Acres, too. I also ran a few poker runs/enduros with my uncle. Last year I found a mint 91 Yamaha wr 250 for cheap and have been desert trail riding out here in SoCal. After way too many years off the bike, at the end of the 1st day back I had that feeling I'd been missin for 35 years. Nothin' beats a Dirt Bike! I just purchased a Yama 50 for my son!

Much Love and Respect for my Michigan MX Brothers and Sisters!
2/1/2016 3:04am
Jack Stevison, from Jackson Ohio. Rode a husky. He had the first track in southern Ohio located in Wellston back in the early 70's. Guy could rip, won several nationals and a bunch of Ohio races. Jack last raced The Raccoon Enduro in his 50's. Ray Dunaway shared a story about riding with Jack in the 90's not knowing he could ride. Ray said Jack was on a XR and left him and another friend winding out their RMs in his dust.
I also want to throw Jeff Miller out there. Jeff was also a fast one, and still is racing n his 50's and laying solid track times.
Jamal#440
6/14/2017 9:54am
Old-Man wrote:
Frank Shapanski was a fast mofo from that neck of the woods
I saw him at the Pontiac SX in 84 I think, it was a heat race and he was just rolling everything and going real slow like he was hurt or a problem with the bike.
Jamal#440
6/14/2017 10:03am
Dave927 wrote:
Mustang Acres was closest to me as It was my home track as well as favorite. I always glance over across the e-way to see the...
Mustang Acres was closest to me as It was my home track as well as favorite. I always glance over across the e-way to see the top portion of the track too, great, great memories from camping and racing there.
That track had a bit of everything ,sand, baked adobe and bigger hills than Red Bud (but it wasn't as long as RedBud)
it was my fave track too because it was closest to home, only about an hour drive.
ohiomotoxer
6/15/2017 3:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2017 3:42pm
My choice for Ohio fastest
Jon Leak
Gary Easton

lumpy790
4/28/2018 6:36am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 6:37am
I was born in St Joseph and raised in Berrien Springs 5 miles from Red Bud. Started riding there in the early 70’s.

Qualified at my 1st ever 500 national at Red Bud in 1984.
4/28/2018 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2018 3:07pm
My favorites growing up were:
Marcus Sellards, Dale Spangler, and “Mighty” Mike Katin.

Ghost
magoo1982
5/1/2018 10:56am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 11:05am
other fast guys from late 60s early 70s , Steve Mobbs , Doug Sanger , Art Birkemeyer , Jim Bauer , Ron Clark , Harry Bridges , Bob Haas , John Hollander ,Mike Weiser , Penton bros, Burleson , Rod Bush , Gary Semics ,Mike Hartwig , Denny Swartz , Jim Jerles , Raders racers......
magoo1982
5/1/2018 11:31am
evomx244 wrote:
80's district 11 A class riders Brett Rader Phil "Flipper" Alderton Troy Graham Scott Paul Greg Maddux Randy Bryant Steve Gifford Todd Poling Mark Weaver Brain...
80's district 11 A class riders
Brett Rader
Phil "Flipper" Alderton
Troy Graham
Scott Paul
Greg Maddux
Randy Bryant
Steve Gifford
Todd Poling
Mark Weaver
Brain Wilson "the beach boy"
Hal Combs
J.T. Kurtz
Tom Bellamy
Don Lewis
MohMoto14
5/2/2018 4:58pm
Didn't see his name mentioned yet but my dad always talked about Mike Bias cleaning up all the mini classes in the mid to late 70's.
neal.d183
10/2/2022 8:46pm
What about some of the great riders from Ohio and Michigan (to name a few of the top of my head)... Jeff Spreeman (American Competition) Paul...
What about some of the great riders from Ohio and Michigan (to name a few of the top of my head)...

Jeff Spreeman (American Competition)
Paul Walker (RPM and Husky)
Billy Paxton (ERG?)
Denny Bentley (Honda and Suzuki)
Bigelow Brothers, Kirk, Kip, Kris, Kreg - Team Dynamic)
Jeff and Louis Snider (Power Rider/RPM)
Frank Lamp (RPM)
Jim Lowe (RPM and Husky)
Jamie Bruce (E.C. Birt?)

These guys were all fast at tracks like Delta Ohio, Dirt Rider Park in Holland Ohio and all over Michagan.

Any pictures, whereabouts??

Also, anyone got pictures of #532 who rode an unsponsored RPM Suzuki RM125 in 1980 and 1981 in Ohio/Michigan?? This guy was slow, but had lots of fun racing and hanging out with the fast guys. Once got lapped twice at Delta by Frank Lamp who slowed each time and yelled over what was wrong that he was going so slow!!!

I have some pictures from those days and may post some if there is any interest.

Thanks.

Matt
I'm about 14 years late to this post but I was good friends with Frank Lamp. He was my riding mentor and would still smoke everyone on the track even a year before he passed. I was hoping to find some photos from his pro days. It would be awesome if you had any!
indy_maico
10/5/2022 11:35am
John 'Action' Ayers is from Grove City, PA

Close enough to the Ohio state line to count him in.

I was surprised it took 3 pages to find Gary Semics name. Ohio legend!

I worked for Fred Andrews dad (also Fred) at Andrews Honda in New Castle, PA & Salem, OH

Post a reply to: Ohio & Michigan Riders

The Latest