Suzuki RM80D 1983 Vintage Restoration

macolmedo
Edited Date/Time 2/9/2022 7:03am
Hi Guys

After finishing all 80cc Mini bikes from 1980, I picked up an RM80D 1983 first water cooled from craigslist a couple of months ago and I been working on that mini beauty since then.
To be honest, when I bought I knew it was in bad shape, but I never thought it was so rough, even the guy I bought it from New Jersey, for who knows the reason after I got it, never replied me again when i send him a couple of pictures of the progress as he asked me for!
I will be posting some pictures of the before and some of the progress

water

|
Sully
7/12/2017 4:36pm
That's some damn good looking progress you're making.

Is that bondo on the pipe in the first set of pictures? I guess that's one way to take care of dents...

The Shop

macolmedo
7/12/2017 5:07pm
I got this used shroud from ebay and I been sanding and sanding

macolmedo
7/12/2017 5:13pm
getting there but not yet
it needs more sanding and polish after

The Sneak
7/12/2017 7:28pm
Even more impressive than the 1980 bikes. Just amazing. I wish I had your abilities, focus, and work space!
7/13/2017 9:06am
Outstanding work as usual. I cannot believe the level of detail you go into. I am about to restore a yz125g 1980 to Oem spec and need some input into how you get such a great finish on your parts. Perhaps you can explain how you get the cases, and metal parts to such a high standard macalmedo.
Cheers,
Mr. Sandman
7/13/2017 9:56am
Outstanding work as usual. I cannot believe the level of detail you go into. I am about to restore a yz125g 1980 to Oem spec and...
Outstanding work as usual. I cannot believe the level of detail you go into. I am about to restore a yz125g 1980 to Oem spec and need some input into how you get such a great finish on your parts. Perhaps you can explain how you get the cases, and metal parts to such a high standard macalmedo.
Cheers,
Beautiful work and bike. x2 on the comments above. The carb looks great...is it new or restored/refinished via all of your chromate dips? Where did you get the warning labels and manufacturer label on the frame down tube? I'm in the process of restoring a '78 RM125 and hope it comes out a nice as this little RM. Thanks!
macolmedo
7/13/2017 12:54pm
Outstanding work as usual. I cannot believe the level of detail you go into. I am about to restore a yz125g 1980 to Oem spec and...
Cheers,
Hi, my friend!

How is your kid liking the rm80 1979 you restored for him?
Going back to the engine cases, i will give u the details
The first step I do is take it to the powder coat guy to get them sandblast and I will take it back home to inspect them
remember they are aluminum so they won't rust
The second step after inspection will be, removing all scratches and big marks with a Dremel sanding drum 320 grit and then smooth them out with a Dremel sanding drum 600 grit, after that, I will use a scrubber wheel that I bought from Caswell Plating and I do a light pass for final step( don't apply to much pressure on the scrubber because it worn out really quick)
After that it goes back to the powder coat shop to get sandblast again and paint
Metal Parts will be the same method for light details, for heavy details you will have to fill them up with JB Weld the original version

Regards
Martin
macolmedo
7/13/2017 1:10pm
Cheers,
Beautiful work and bike. x2 on the comments above. The carb looks great...is it new or restored/refinished via all of your chromate dips? Where did you...
Beautiful work and bike. x2 on the comments above. The carb looks great...is it new or restored/refinished via all of your chromate dips? Where did you get the warning labels and manufacturer label on the frame down tube? I'm in the process of restoring a '78 RM125 and hope it comes out a nice as this little RM. Thanks!
Hi

The carb is the original and I restored them all the time
The process will be:
Remove all dirt and grease from body parts(not plastic parts or seals) with gasoline first
Second will be dipping them 30 minutes in a carb cleaner solution
Third will be zinc plate and chromate with correct colors all metal parts, also change all rubber seals and gaskets
The last step will be using the scrubber wheel from Caswell to remove all the oxidation from the aluminum body parts and from all brass parts(all jets and other parts)
All my decals are made after been measured and traced from the originals by bdesigns.ca, his name is Brian
He is the best for my OCD problem

Good Luck with your project!
macolmedo
7/13/2017 1:30pm
Example of carburetor before scrubber wheel and after

PD441
7/14/2017 7:29am
Macolmedo, awesome build!! Please let me know if you got my message.
macolmedo
7/14/2017 9:11am
PD441 wrote:
Hi Paul

I did and I replied with my email address
Please double check
PD441
7/14/2017 9:29am
PD441 wrote:
macolmedo wrote:
Hi Paul

I did and I replied with my email address
Please double check
Hmmm....I didn't get it. I sent you another message. Hopefully it'll work this way.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4061st
7/14/2017 12:04pm
Really looks great. So you are plating this stuff yourself with one of those kits from Caswell?
7/14/2017 7:52pm
Cheers,
macolmedo wrote:
Hi, my friend! How is your kid liking the rm80 1979 you restored for him? Going back to the engine cases, i will give u the...
Hi, my friend!

The first step I do is take it to the powder coat guy to get them sandblast and I will take it back home to inspect them
The second step after inspection will be, removing all scratches and big marks with a Dremel sanding drum 320 grit and then smooth them out with a Dremel sanding drum 600 grit, after that, I will use a scrubber wheel that I bought from Caswell Plating and I do a light pass for final step( don't apply to much pressure on the scrubber because it worn out really quick)
After that it goes back to the powder coat shop to get sandblast again and paint
Metal Parts will be the same method for light details, for heavy details you will have to fill them up with JB Weld the original version

Regards
Martin
Boy loves his rm80n,but we are still having problems getting it to run correctly.
Can you post up a link of the scrubber you use from Caswells Martin. I thought you were vapour blasting your parts they were coming up so new.
In the pic I am posting up, the Oem Kickstarter and rear brake pedal and carb boot band have a metal finish that has a slightly greenish hue. Have you seen that process?
Keep up the good work,
Cheers

7/16/2017 8:34am
I need to get myself a zinc plating kit like yours Martin. The greenish Color above is olive drab chromate. I also need silver clear and yellow. Let us know what kit you used.
Cheers,
macolmedo
7/16/2017 4:42pm
MXVet261 wrote:
Really looks great. So you are plating this stuff yourself with one of those kits from Caswell?
Thanks for the comment
yes I'm using the copy cad and zinc kit from Caswell
macolmedo
7/16/2017 5:00pm
Cheers,
macolmedo wrote:
Hi, my friend! How is your kid liking the rm80 1979 you restored for him? Going back to the engine cases, i will give u the...
Hi, my friend!

Regards
Martin
Boy loves his rm80n,but we are still having problems getting it to run correctly. Can you post up a link of the scrubber you use from...
Boy loves his rm80n,but we are still having problems getting it to run correctly.
Can you post up a link of the scrubber you use from Caswells Martin. I thought you were vapour blasting your parts they were coming up so new.
In the pic I am posting up, the Oem Kickstarter and rear brake pedal and carb boot band have a metal finish that has a slightly greenish hue. Have you seen that process?
Keep up the good work,
Cheers

Hi
Sorry for the delay, I am posting the picture of the scrubber wheel, the system from Caswell that I use is copy cad and zinc
If you check the Kickstarter and fork caps, etc from the rm80 1983 that I am restoring you will see the color you are asking
I don't use the olive drab chromate, i just use the black chromate and I learned after practicing with timing dips to obtain the color I want, or either greenish or black
The other chromate colors I use after the zinc plating process is yellow and clear blue
Going back to vapor blasting, you comment that you thought I was doing that, I will tell you again, there is no blast that will take any scratches or gouges from your aluminum parts, before you paint, polish or use the scrubber wheel you need to sand all of that away, if not you will have a painted, polished or shiny part with all the imperfections named before

Regards
martin

macolmedo
7/16/2017 5:28pm
Hi Guys

I have been working on the cushion, linkage, and rear shock the last week
I am posting before and after pictures
I have to take the shock to charge with nitrogen before installing the new decal and then it will go on the bike
Hope you like them

markit
7/17/2017 9:58pm
That is some top shelf work there.

Post a reply to: Suzuki RM80D 1983 Vintage Restoration

The Latest