TS185er Oil leak

Hirokaze
Edited Date/Time 11/21/2020 2:33am
Hi, I am new to this forum.

I bought my TS185er 5years ago as a new condition one, and have ridden almost 20,000km.

Last week, when I park my bike in my garage after holiday ride,I noticed small amount of 2 cycle oil leaks from left side of crankcase(behind the magneto cover).
This problem may be common for old 2 stroke bikes and usually the oil is coming out from left side crank shalft oil seal.
So, I checked what is happening behind the magneto.

However,in my case,the oil seal is completely dry(as shown in the image I attached).
Instead,the oil is coming out from two spots(this is my expectation):
please check the image I attached.

Spot1:
a hole under edge of mangeto case (I can see some kind of gasket in the back.)

Spot2:
a hole (may be plugged with some kind of plastics?) on the edge of ledge of crank space.

Anyone know about this kind of problem and how should I deal with it?

Thanks in advance.
And sorry for my weird English(because I'm not an English native.).

|
MaxPower
11/19/2020 8:05am
Could it be a flaw in the casting? I've never seen that before. The TS185 is a fun bike
Hirokaze
11/19/2020 11:42pm
Thanks for your reply!

The answer is No.
I searched images of TS185er crankcase and could find same spots(both Spot.1,Spot2).
Also I found that,Spot.1 may be a hole designed as some kind of "drain hole".
Because it has notch that makes it easy for drainage to drain out from the back to front of the hole.
Paw Paw 271
11/20/2020 3:09pm
It sure looks like there is a trace of oil on the case where the lower part of the seal is located in the photo. The seal could be ok but still not be sealing due to the run out of the crankshaft due to to worn bearing behind that seal.
If it were mine, I would check that bearing.

Paw Paw
Hirokaze
11/20/2020 5:18pm
It sure looks like there is a trace of oil on the case where the lower part of the seal is located in the photo. The...
It sure looks like there is a trace of oil on the case where the lower part of the seal is located in the photo. The seal could be ok but still not be sealing due to the run out of the crankshaft due to to worn bearing behind that seal.

Paw Paw
You mean that worn bearing cause looseness of the crankshaft and oil come out between the seal and the shaft when it is rotaing?
ok,I'll check when I open topend.

Thanks for your advice!

Hirokaze

The Shop

Sully
11/20/2020 7:41pm
No advice on your bike, but I will say there's nothing weird about your English. It's better than my Japanese, and I've lived here for 24 years.
MaxPower
11/21/2020 1:20am
It sure looks like there is a trace of oil on the case where the lower part of the seal is located in the photo. The...

Paw Paw
Hirokaze wrote:
You mean that worn bearing cause looseness of the crankshaft and oil come out between the seal and the shaft when it is rotaing? ok,I'll check...
You mean that worn bearing cause looseness of the crankshaft and oil come out between the seal and the shaft when it is rotaing?

Thanks for your advice!

Hirokaze
You can check that crank bearing by trying to shake the flywheel up and down. Should have zero play.
Hirokaze
11/21/2020 2:33am
Sully wrote:
No advice on your bike, but I will say there's nothing weird about your English. It's better than my Japanese, and I've lived here for 24...
No advice on your bike, but I will say there's nothing weird about your English. It's better than my Japanese, and I've lived here for 24 years.
Thanks for your word!
Haha😁
Hirokaze
11/21/2020 2:35am

Paw Paw
Hirokaze wrote:
You mean that worn bearing cause looseness of the crankshaft and oil come out between the seal and the shaft when it is rotaing? ok,I'll check...

Thanks for your advice!

Hirokaze
MaxPower wrote:
You can check that crank bearing by trying to shake the flywheel up and down. Should have zero play.
OK.
So I can check really easily!
Thanks again.

Post a reply to: TS185er Oil leak

The Latest