Tony Wynn, Sam Rogers 77 4 strk national on CCM, anyone have the full results or photos??

b_rogers
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2019 1:52am
Hi guys, great forum. My dad is Sammy Rogers (Arkansas state open expert Champion 1970-1971) who passed away a few months ago. Dad was pretty active racer in the early 70's along with Tony Wynn and some others locally, primarily on a husqvarna. In either 76-77-78 Tony rode my dads brand new CCM 580 (with Simons and Fox) at what people tell me was the "Four Stroke Nationals" in california somewhere, see pic. I have managed to buy the bike back (soon, another month) and am trying to find some more info as to which race this actually was. I have talked to several folks that were close with Tony, but nobody can narrow down the event/year. I do know that it was mentioned in a MX magazine, because i used to have a copy of it around here, Tony got the a good start but went down in first moto, maybe a 9th in the second then had gearbox problems. If any of you guys remember what event,can shed any light or help me figure this out, id really appreciate it. Im gonna put the bike back exactly as they raced it that day.

|
Mini Elsinore
8/3/2017 10:48am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2017 10:49am
Tony also rode your Pop's bike at a race in AR---cannot recall specifics as I was still a grom on a mini. That CCM was the coolest bike I had ever seen at that time. Still among the coolest!
b_rogers
8/3/2017 11:04am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2017 10:18am
Wow, thats awesome Mini El! I agree, it was quite the beast. I CANT WAIT to get it home again. Ricky Jordan ( I think thats who he said) over revved it and blew it up. Dad got broke and let it slip away, but now its all restored and ready to ride! I tracked it down and the really awesome guy is gonna let me buy it back. Tony was one of my favorite people, he was always over here cooking out and talking crap. Miss that guy. I have really been having fun trying to piece all of it together, Dad couldnt remember specifics and really didn't talk about MX too much, bitter from having to quit in his prime I guess. Thank you so much for your reply. Any input on resources or clues from the photo appreciated!

Brent
Mini Elsinore
8/3/2017 6:08pm
I am serious. I mentioned your Dad's CCM in a thread here at Vital years ago---bike made that much impression on me as a kid.

I'm going out on a limb, Brent, and say the pic of Tony is 1977 (maybe late '76) based on the Fox Airs (we bought a set through Tony in 1977 when first available through TWR) and Tony's "cut" Scott mask. Tony was a style hound and always had trick gear. As an aside, I'm not sure Tony actually owned many of the bikes he raced! He didn't have too. Laughing
b_rogers
8/3/2017 6:42pm
Wow, thanks for the input. That bike made a serious impression on me as well. Tony had a great sense of humor thats for sure. I found this forum by doing searches for his name, and I see a lot of stuff with him riding Noguchi. My dad had a terrible crash on that bike that ruined his knees and basically ended his racing career.

Funny story, in the 80s my dad was married to a crazy woman he dated in high school. They were going through a nasty divorce and had separated. My boss at the time lived a few blocks over and as I drove by said crazy womans house, there among a bunch of trash was the CCM, in pieces and motor in boxes right there for the garbage/yard trash truck to pick up. To this day I can't understand how someone didn't stop and pick it up and just the dumb luck of me going over there that particular day. Finding a Ccm in the garbage...lol

Brent

The Shop

Hasletjoe
8/3/2017 7:30pm
Hello Brent, you should get a copy of the 1978 Motocross Action. They have a four page article on the race, mostly pictures. There is one of Tony on your dad's bike. A small mention of him riding a "clean looking" CCM.

If need be, I can scan the article and email it to you

joe

b_rogers
8/3/2017 7:52pm
Hasletjoe wrote:
Hello Brent, you should get a copy of the 1978 Motocross Action. They have a four page article on the race, mostly pictures. There is one...
Hello Brent, you should get a copy of the 1978 Motocross Action. They have a four page article on the race, mostly pictures. There is one of Tony on your dad's bike. A small mention of him riding a "clean looking" CCM.

If need be, I can scan the article and email it to you

joe

OMG JOE THANK YOU! Thats a totally different magazine than the one i had!!! 1978 Motorcross action March I will look for one on ebay for sure!! The magazine I had was Popular Cycle I think. Wow, thank you so much guys, I dont think you know how happy this makes me.

Hmm also the comment on that picture gives me a little more info, Dad seemed to think the clutch was going out, which was a problem with the 4 speed models but he must have went off the course or wrecked too.

Brent

SCR
8/3/2017 10:27pm
Very cool stuff. I remember Tony Wynn from the magazines. 4 strokes were bitchin in the 70s and the 4 stroke Nationals at Carlsbad brought out all the cool one off and rare thumpers. Always looked forward to the MXA article and pictures every year from Carlsbad.
I had a tt500 in the 70s and a white bros. Catalog full of trick parts but no money to buy any any of them.
Anyway. Thats a buetiful CCM and a cool piece of moto history along with a cool story.
b_rogers
8/3/2017 11:10pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2017 11:11pm
SCR wrote:
Very cool stuff. I remember Tony Wynn from the magazines. 4 strokes were bitchin in the 70s and the 4 stroke Nationals at Carlsbad brought out...
Very cool stuff. I remember Tony Wynn from the magazines. 4 strokes were bitchin in the 70s and the 4 stroke Nationals at Carlsbad brought out all the cool one off and rare thumpers. Always looked forward to the MXA article and pictures every year from Carlsbad.
I had a tt500 in the 70s and a white bros. Catalog full of trick parts but no money to buy any any of them.
Anyway. Thats a buetiful CCM and a cool piece of moto history along with a cool story.
Thank you! I can see some pretty cool bikes were in that issue as well. Im gonna hit up a few of dads local buddies and see if one has a copy of that MX Action March issue and any other from that month before i drop big $ on Epay..

Now I gotta find a Simons triple clamp and figure out how the hell they adapted those. Everyone who rode it hated the original forks, which were 75 style even though the bike was ser numbered a 76

Brent
Hasletjoe
8/4/2017 8:38am
Brent, I checked and the same issue (Mar 1978) of Pop Cycle has an article. It contains that first picture you posted.

b_rogers
8/4/2017 8:51am
Hasletjoe wrote:
Brent, I checked and the same issue (Mar 1978) of Pop Cycle has an article. It contains that first picture you posted. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/08/04/208100/s1200_Pop_Cycle_Mar_1978.jpg[/img]
Brent, I checked and the same issue (Mar 1978) of Pop Cycle has an article. It contains that first picture you posted.

Thats awesome! I didn't see that issue available out there on the Interwebs. Joe, i hate to ask, but do you think you could scan that one for me? I would really appreciate it. Ill send you a PM with my email.
b_rogers
8/4/2017 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2017 12:15pm
Looks like Dirt Bike magazine did an article on the race as well, anybody got that issue Dirt Bike March 1978?

I'd like to find out the whole finishing order, do you think AMA or someone might have that info?
txjcfsr
8/7/2017 2:46pm
Grew up in West Memphis, AR and used to watch Tony Wynn, Rusty McFarland, Ricky Jordan, etc. race at DeSoto Cycle Ranch. Also, Doug Walls. To this day, they were the guys that made such an impression on me when I was racing my 100cc Yamaha and later my Husky 125. They were the experts and just flew around the track. Used to watch them race against the "big boys" when the Nationals came to town. Sorry that I don't have any CCM stories to help you with the bike, just glad that you found it. Good luck with it.
b_rogers
8/7/2017 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 8/7/2017 3:12pm
txjcfsr wrote:
Grew up in West Memphis, AR and used to watch Tony Wynn, Rusty McFarland, Ricky Jordan, etc. race at DeSoto Cycle Ranch. Also, Doug Walls. To...
Grew up in West Memphis, AR and used to watch Tony Wynn, Rusty McFarland, Ricky Jordan, etc. race at DeSoto Cycle Ranch. Also, Doug Walls. To this day, they were the guys that made such an impression on me when I was racing my 100cc Yamaha and later my Husky 125. They were the experts and just flew around the track. Used to watch them race against the "big boys" when the Nationals came to town. Sorry that I don't have any CCM stories to help you with the bike, just glad that you found it. Good luck with it.
Thats awesome man, good to hear from a fellow Arky. I love hearing anything about Tony, he was a cool character. I only got to see him race a couple of times, and even at a young age I could tell he was really fast and fearless.

He held a big plug of my scalp on and got me to the hospital and all stitched up when I was little once. Just showed up randomly looking for my old man (My grandparents lived next door, where I was) at the perfect time after I busted my head wide open, my mom was panicking. My dad had a great story of when they were practicing in Big Flat Arkansas and Tony broke his arm badly. They were miles from the country doctor (that delivered Tony) but managed to ride their bikes to town, The doctor handed Tony a bottle of whiskey, had him drink a few swigs and had my dad hold hold his shoulder down, then set his arm causing Tony to scream and pass out for about 10 minutes. Of course, thats the short version,to hear Tony tell it was much better, way funnier.

Brent
TG130
8/8/2017 1:09pm
b_rogers wrote:
Looks like Dirt Bike magazine did an article on the race as well, anybody got that issue Dirt Bike March 1978? I'd like to find out...
Looks like Dirt Bike magazine did an article on the race as well, anybody got that issue Dirt Bike March 1978?

I'd like to find out the whole finishing order, do you think AMA or someone might have that info?
I have that issue. There's no pictures of Tony Wynn or the full results. PM me if you want it. I'll scan and email it it to you.
b_rogers
8/8/2017 2:35pm
b_rogers wrote:
Looks like Dirt Bike magazine did an article on the race as well, anybody got that issue Dirt Bike March 1978? I'd like to find out...

TG130 wrote:
I have that issue. There's no pictures of Tony Wynn or the full results. PM me if you want it. I'll scan and email it it...
I have that issue. There's no pictures of Tony Wynn or the full results. PM me if you want it. I'll scan and email it it to you.
Thank you! PM sent
TG130
8/9/2017 5:42pm
b_rogers wrote:

TG130 wrote:
I have that issue. There's no pictures of Tony Wynn or the full results. PM me if you want it. I'll scan and email it it...
b_rogers wrote:
Thank you! PM sent
For some reason, I did not get your PM. Can you try again or I can post in this thread.
b_rogers
9/25/2017 10:39am
Thank you to everyone who posted and sent me scans info etc.., helped me out a ton. I got the bike back finally. It's pretty close to operational, just needs cables and a good going over by the guy who built the motor. Can't wait to fire it up and go for a spin.

txjcfsr
9/25/2017 11:18am
Congratulations! It looks great!
Dropbear
9/25/2017 7:02pm

Great bikes. Our open class State Champion rode one in 1977 against the 2 stokes. There were a few going around in those days.
TG130
9/25/2017 10:07pm
b_rogers wrote:
Thank you to everyone who posted and sent me scans info etc.., helped me out a ton. I got the bike back finally. It's pretty close...
Thank you to everyone who posted and sent me scans info etc.., helped me out a ton. I got the bike back finally. It's pretty close to operational, just needs cables and a good going over by the guy who built the motor. Can't wait to fire it up and go for a spin.

Nice job !
Bigfoot
9/26/2017 11:18am
Have you tried the Cycle News Archives? They for sure covered the event and probably published full results.
b_rogers
9/26/2017 11:38am
Bigfoot wrote:
Have you tried the Cycle News Archives? They for sure covered the event and probably published full results.
I haven't yet. I need to pony up the $5 and get full access. Looking at the covers I don't see the exact issue but that's only doing the free preview.
9/26/2017 7:52pm
I don't know if you have visited the Tony Wynn the Flying Farmer page on Facebook or not. There aren't any 4 stroke pix on there that I know of. His niece let me scan all the photos and other memorabilia that she inherited from Tony. I gave it all back to her except for a box full of Cycle News articles and other motorcycle newspapers. Her house burned not long after that and all the original stuff is gone except for that box. I plan to scan those in and add to the page. If there are any articles or pictures of any four strokes, I will let you know.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tony-Wynn-the-Flying-Farmer-818777684809571…

b_rogers
9/26/2017 8:52pm
I don't know if you have visited the Tony Wynn the Flying Farmer page on Facebook or not. There aren't any 4 stroke pix on there...
I don't know if you have visited the Tony Wynn the Flying Farmer page on Facebook or not. There aren't any 4 stroke pix on there that I know of. His niece let me scan all the photos and other memorabilia that she inherited from Tony. I gave it all back to her except for a box full of Cycle News articles and other motorcycle newspapers. Her house burned not long after that and all the original stuff is gone except for that box. I plan to scan those in and add to the page. If there are any articles or pictures of any four strokes, I will let you know.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tony-Wynn-the-Flying-Farmer-818777684809571…

Yes, I have contributed most of these photos to the FB page. A shame about the fire destroying all those things. I still have a few non racing photos. I look forward to seeing the scans of the cycle news stuff, or anything you got!
speedman
9/27/2017 4:48am
b_rogers wrote:
Thank you to everyone who posted and sent me scans info etc.., helped me out a ton. I got the bike back finally. It's pretty close...

Terrific job! IMO the BSA-based CCMs are on the podium for consistently beautiful motocross bikes, year to year. Great details anywhere one looks, and taken as whole too. Are those special fork caps that increase the air volume in each leg so they don't spike in the midstroke? Just guessing at function. My brother's 1974 Rickman VR had truly functional spring-loaded-ball vent valves in the Betor fork caps--really smooth forks that would vent air pressure spikes, though that'd spew a little Type F ATF every time and I never did create a fix for the spew.

I went to college at the end of the 70s near Aero-PA, the U.S. importer IIRC. They had a remarkable showroom. I still wonder what became of the ca. 1980 disc-braked 250 Bultaco Metralla I saw there.
Ted722
9/28/2017 8:26am
I took a quick look in Cycle News. Here's a few. They have the Nationals coverage too.

b_rogers
9/28/2017 6:33pm
Ted722 wrote:
I took a quick look in Cycle News. Here's a few. They have the Nationals coverage too. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/28/217050/s1200_Screenshot_2017_09_26_at_7.48.24_AM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/28/217051/s1200_Screenshot_2017_09_26_at_12.32.19_PM.jpg[/img]
I took a quick look in Cycle News. Here's a few. They have the Nationals coverage too.

Thanks for posting those! Can you tell me the exact issue with the Nationals coverage in it? So the race was in Dec 77, so it's really the 1977 nationals. Most of the articles in other mags are in March of 78 so I assumed it was 78 The article is cool too, I talked to the author of of it recently, he sent me a pic or two of the testing that didn't make the article.
Ted722
9/28/2017 7:10pm
Ted722 wrote:
I took a quick look in Cycle News. Here's a few. They have the Nationals coverage too. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/28/217050/s1200_Screenshot_2017_09_26_at_7.48.24_AM.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/28/217051/s1200_Screenshot_2017_09_26_at_12.32.19_PM.jpg[/img]

b_rogers wrote:
Thanks for posting those! Can you tell me the exact issue with the Nationals coverage in it? So the race was in Dec 77, so it's...
Thanks for posting those! Can you tell me the exact issue with the Nationals coverage in it? So the race was in Dec 77, so it's really the 1977 nationals. Most of the articles in other mags are in March of 78 so I assumed it was 78 The article is cool too, I talked to the author of of it recently, he sent me a pic or two of the testing that didn't make the article.
No, problem. Dec 14, 1977. Didn’t see Tony’s name in there, but Rod Kentner won the event.

Post a reply to: Tony Wynn, Sam Rogers 77 4 strk national on CCM, anyone have the full results or photos??

The Latest