What's this 89 KX500 barn find worth?

SEEMEFIRST
3/5/2020 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2020 7:47pm
New bottom and top ends.
Has been sitting since rebuild because of a shift fork issue. The 2 that are NEARLY identical were reversed is my guess.
Anyway, I plan to straighten out the transmission issue, and had wanted to restore it.
I have a buddy who wants it, but I don't know what it is worth.

Any advice/criticisms welcome.

|
yz133rider
3/5/2020 6:41pm
Id say 2ish. +/- 500 depending on smaller details that you cant see in pics.
3/5/2020 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2020 7:22pm
Yea... I was thinking $2500, then I read about the "best guess" transmission issue..

The big bore market is on fire right now.. With lip stick on a pig (meaning, better curb appeal via graphics, etc), your bike as it sits could sell for $3k to the right guy.. as I read and viewed this post, I'd be out at anything over $1,500. Your call on how much time and money you want to throw at / forego on this bike.

Regarding the rusty header pipe - Evapo-Rust is the bee's knees

SEEMEFIRST
3/5/2020 7:38pm
Wow! Thanks for that tip. That looks like it works wonders.

I'm not going to sell a bike that doesn't work, and I already know about the shift fork thing. So I'll be rectifying that.

My buddy is not afraid to do things to restore it otherwise, so, yeah.

It's a wierd deal.

My best friend owned the bike, I rode it plenty. He's a smart guy, but he let the transmission fall apart during re-installation, and thought the 2 forks were the same. I know from experience they differ slightly. That's all that's wrong.
special K
3/5/2020 7:40pm
Get the transmission issue figured out first. Value depends heavily on wether you get it fixed and it’s 100% rideable or you leave the next guy to gamble on your prediction. if it’s ready to ride in that condition you could do pretty good. If you where in my driveway with it and the trans didn’t work I would be hard pressed to hand you $1500 on a crap shoot. The 500 bikes are like gold these days if it’s running and rideable. If it’s not you will need gold to get it there.

The Shop

3/5/2020 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/5/2020 7:46pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
Wow! Thanks for that tip. That looks like it works wonders. I'm not going to sell a bike that doesn't work, and I already know about...
Wow! Thanks for that tip. That looks like it works wonders.

I'm not going to sell a bike that doesn't work, and I already know about the shift fork thing. So I'll be rectifying that.

My buddy is not afraid to do things to restore it otherwise, so, yeah.

It's a wierd deal.

My best friend owned the bike, I rode it plenty. He's a smart guy, but he let the transmission fall apart during re-installation, and thought the 2 forks were the same. I know from experience they differ slightly. That's all that's wrong.
Nice... Sounds like you have both the knowledge and resources to either own a sharp and well sorted KX500, or $3500-4000 cash money. Good luck enjoying either
SEEMEFIRST
3/5/2020 7:51pm
Copied that.
Here's what happens. 2 of these forks are almost mirrored. You can swap them.

Post a reply to: What's this 89 KX500 barn find worth?

The Latest