Related:
Create New Tag
Reese95w Reese95w
4/18/2019 4:49 PM
Photo

Who was the Dummy that came up with this description for the Old School Moto section? This description has always bothered me. I used a Jofa when I started racing in the 70's. Jofa's and Duckbills were state of the art back in the day. And before that you had pudding bowl helmets. To retroactively insinuate that people were Dummies for using that equipment back then, well that is Dumb.

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

Achahoish Achahoish
4/18/2019 11:41 PM

Hey, I'm with you on this. Modern helmets with their aerodynamics are crap. I love it when you see someone at a twinshock meeting with an open face helmet, goggles and mask, or a Bell Moto 3 lid.
imho a Jofa or a Scott facemask is THE look in 70s racing

Kaaden'sTheory Kaaden'sTheory
4/19/2019 7:08 AM

Agree. I used a Jofa and duckbill in the early 70's and still have my own front teeth cheerful . I did switch to the John Banks facemask when they came out though, mostly because I thought they looked badass. BTW - A duckbill didn't seem to slow Hannah down any.

“Anything that gets your blood pumping is probably worth doing”

Hunter S Thompson

sandman768 sandman768
4/19/2019 2:00 PM

I”m offended by the word “yak”...... makes us sound like bitches or something....?

special K special K
4/19/2019 7:23 PM

I totally agree. I’m currently looking for a nice yellow old school helmet with duckbill, googles and face mask so I look cool on my 1981 YZ.

backinthesaddleagain backinthesaddleagain
4/19/2019 10:19 PM

I think it’s saracasm. But I think those 70s looks ruled.

Reese95w Reese95w
4/19/2019 10:45 PM
backinthesaddleagain wrote:

I think it’s saracasm. But ...more

None of the other descriptions for the areas of VitalMX discussion are sarcastic.

TTperra TTperra
4/20/2019 1:03 AM

Never thought about it, but its strange..
By todays standard its maby foolish to attack a modern track with a open helmet, but when all mx is banned and gone, and the only who remember are at nursing homes, people are going to think we all were crasy, like people are looking at early 1900 bordtrack racers..

newmann newmann
4/20/2019 5:07 AM
backinthesaddleagain wrote:

I think it’s saracasm. But ...more

Reese95w wrote:

None of the other ...more

Maybe not, but site staff makes no bones about belittling their income source. This place would be a bit of a ghost town without the forums.

neverwas neverwas
4/20/2019 12:09 PM

I agree old school is cool,but then again I'm old.
For the fun of it I pout on an old open face helmet with a jofa the other night and my daughter laughed and asked if I thought it was real protection,I am always preaching to her and her kids to wear helmets when they ride bicycles.I then put on some Scott goggles with face mask and she thought it was kind of cool but urged me to stick with the full face when I go ride/race.

Reese95w Reese95w
4/20/2019 5:19 PM
TTperra wrote:

Never thought about it, ...more

I have a modern Shoei open face helmet that I have used with a Jofa for vintage racing on our rock free grass tracks here in the NW, (as in my VitalMX profile pic). But I also have a new Bell MX-9 full coverage should I race on a rock infested track.

jpracer931 jpracer931
4/28/2019 9:00 AM

Sure use that old moto3 that is no good safety wise anymore,just hope you dont hit your head tp hard

Mr. Sandman Mr. Sandman
4/29/2019 8:18 AM

Whoever wrote the description obviously wasn't around "back in the day" to partake in and enjoy the cutting edge equipment we used.

FreshTopEnd FreshTopEnd
4/29/2019 11:21 PM

Actually he was. And the Jofa was better than ....nothing.

Gibbs was joking. Have a cup of lighten up.

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

ga_pike ga_pike
5/2/2019 12:04 PM

I thin kyou answered your own question by starting this thread. Just sayin'

TexasVet TexasVet
6/27/2019 3:48 AM

When we got our 74 kx125, the parents bought me a brand new Bell full face(not Star) but the moto x helmet. My

Brother had a Bell RT open face with JT visor and blue updated Jofa. I always gravitated towards the open face

because of the JT visor(wanted to look like Marty Smith). Road race full face helmets were adapted early on and full

face have

become the only real helmet available(there are exceptions I know). I have heard some promoters require them.

I have an open modern HJC with a JT visor and blue jofa. Got some Bell stickers and covered over the HJC ones.

Hokey but puts me back in the day...sort of.

Look at the birth of airplanes. Most people look at them and wonder "what were they thinking?" Look at what the pilots

wore. In the end, we know how it was and why. That was then and this is now.

CDswinehart CDswinehart
6/28/2019 1:42 PM

I thought at the time I was ahead of the game with the Jofa, because so many of the guys (and some gals) didn't wear anything under their goggles at all. We had a few riders who rode dirt track and raced motocross occasionally, they used their open faced lids with the snap on face shields. You know the kind....

wwdiii wwdiii
7/5/2019 6:10 PM

I thought I had it going on, band new 1973 250 CZ, Jofa, duckbill Visor with a Bell helmet that had been painted with a rattle can more than once.

Our fancy race hauler was a 1950 model ford truck with a 1964 Chevy straight six motor. Got my racing buddy and myself the 90 miles from Ada Oklahoma to Oklahoma City to race and back.

It was a lot of fun back then.

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry