CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

11/26/2018 11:13am
Matt's frame is a Japan team frame with all of the welding done the way Corne did his frame. The US factory team did not weld gussets the same way as the Japan team as they preferred more flex. My guess is that the Japan team left one of their bikes for the US team to try after one of the US nationals. That is why it has an AMA sticker on it. That is my best guess. (The guy that sold the frame said he heard it was a Tortelli bike). Back in those days, the Japan top factory riders would come over and race a few nationals (often Glen Helen) every year. The one HRC foot peg I have is from the frame that Matt has.
matt.3150
11/26/2018 1:59pm
Trust me, thats might. That picture of the upper frame tube Corne got from me! Ask him!
matt.3150
11/26/2018 2:03pm
Matt's frame is a Japan team frame with all of the welding done the way Corne did his frame. The US factory team did not weld...
Matt's frame is a Japan team frame with all of the welding done the way Corne did his frame. The US factory team did not weld gussets the same way as the Japan team as they preferred more flex. My guess is that the Japan team left one of their bikes for the US team to try after one of the US nationals. That is why it has an AMA sticker on it. That is my best guess. (The guy that sold the frame said he heard it was a Tortelli bike). Back in those days, the Japan top factory riders would come over and race a few nationals (often Glen Helen) every year. The one HRC foot peg I have is from the frame that Matt has.
Yes your probably right about that.

mxBryan
5/7/2019 6:38am
Been quiet here for a long time but actually in the meantime i have found alot of HRC parts that were crucial to get my bike even closer to the original bike the team built for Carmichael !
Most off the parts i found over the months were either brand new or almost in new condition which made me very happy.

Was pretty pumped when i found a set of very low hour factory SHOWA 51mm forks. I had to have them when i saw them for sale, parts like this are very very rare and don't come up for sale often.
Once arrived at my place i really noticed in which well preserved condition these forks where in, really in almost perfect condition ! Let the pictures speak for themselves.

Here is a comparison between OEM 47mm showa forks and the factory 51mm forks HRC used !

Another part that adds a value to the details of this bike is a HRC replica oil plug.

I also managed to find a HRC magnesium rear hub together with a Titanium HRC axle. The rear hub is either new or very low used as the entire hub is in pretty new coniditon, no major scuffs or rock marks on the hub and the original paint/coating is in immaculate condition.
The HRC hub has a fatter center piece and has 6 bolts on the brake disc side, compared to OEM which only has 4 bolts on brake disc side.

Since the start of this build i had a HRC shift lever but not the correct length i needed, there are a ton of different HRC shift levers, all look pretty much the same but the difference is in the length and the bend of the lever. The one i had was EKD-101 but i needed a E7HL-122
I couldn't be more happier when a brand new E7HL-122 HRC shift lever popped up. Really perfect condition with a brand new rubber tip and original HRC Titanium bolt !
This means i have a HRC shift lever EKD-101 for sale ! Mail me at bryanborny@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Last year i produced my own HRC replica engine guards, but nothing beats finding a original used HRC one !

One off the best finds besides the factory forks is this brand new unused NOS magnesium HRC ignition cover.
Just perfect condition and not a single scratch in the original DOW coating. 4 original HRC Alloy bolts came with it which was a nice addition.
I was already very happy with the TMV alloy replica HRC ignition cover i had, which had a magnesium look-a-like coating to it, but again.. nothing beats original HRC parts especially when they are in perfect unused condition.

One of my friends helped me out with a used front HRC "fat" hub which is billet aluminum, another great major find for this bike ! The center off the hub is much fatter and actually hollow on the inside compared to a OEM hub.
This fat hub makes the wheels stand out more and looks much better than OEM.

Front aluminum hub together with the magnesium rear hub. HRC used this magnesium/aluminum hub combination from 1997 to 2001.

My friend also helped me out with a NOS brand new HRC front brake disc cover, which only fits the factory SHOWA forks ! Also i got the correct size HRC rear hub spacers and HRC titanium rear brake disc bolts.
The rear brake disc bolts are specially made by HRC to fit the rear brake disc.

I also managed to find an original good condition HRC magnesium clutch cover which is very rare nowadays, it is not sure if this clutch cover still has it's original DOW coating or not but i think it has been repainted, either way the clutch cover doesn't have signs off corossion which was a common problem on these magnesium covers. There are also no boot marks, scuffs, scratches or damage from rocks. Just an amazing survived piece of HRC jewelry i was lucky enough to get ! + i got 6 original HRC aluminum bolts with it.

Some more parts i'm waiting for is a NOS HRC rear brake disc, front brake caliper carrier which only fits factory SHOWA forks and at least a set off Titanium HRC replica footpegs that vintagehonda.nl built.
The Titanium replica footpegs were a complete set containing the bolts, brackets, footpegs, pins and springs.
With the modern technology we have nowadays, Corné from vintagehonda was able to machine 1/1 perfect replicas of the original HRC Titanium footpegs. They are finally finished and heading our way !
Only 5 sets were made of these replica footpegs which makes it as rare as finding originals.

The future plans for this bike are to build entire new wheels with the HRC hubs i have now, i would only need to find a D.I.D. silver rim in size 2.15x19 with 40 holes as the HRC rear hub i have has 40 holes instead of 32 like OEM.
I know Kawasaki, Yamaha etc.. used 40holes rims, while Honda used 32holes rims !

I would also need to find HRC clamps which have the specifications to mount the 51mm factory SHOWA forks.

Another plan is to take the bike completely apart and have Corné from vintagehonda.nl modify my frame to be able to mount the engine guard and skid plate on the exact same way like HRC modified their frames.

But first i need to finish some other projects i have started and given priority to because i don't have that much time anymore to work on my projects due to my career switch i have been through since last year.

The Shop

JMX82
5/7/2019 11:35am
Wow! It's amazing how many cool HRC parts you have been able to find
5/7/2019 5:35pm
Beautiful parts, Bryan.. especially those forks Wink . However, they would look a lot better on the bike!!
Godcho
5/11/2019 8:00am
Bryan, it's with great interest and pleasure that I look at the progress of your project. Owning one too, I'm amazed at your work.
The recovery of HRC parts is just bluffing and it must be hard work because of the scarcity and price of parts.
It's very interesting to see the difference between HRC parts and those of a series bike.
I can say that you and vintagehonda.NL have the two most beautiful HRC replica of Honda 250 CR 2001.
Continue to make us dream with this sublime bike.

PS: You will have to make a new shooting so much you have changed parts since the last time Tongue
5/11/2019 9:25am
Godcho wrote:
Bryan, it's with great interest and pleasure that I look at the progress of your project. Owning one too, I'm amazed at your work. The recovery...
Bryan, it's with great interest and pleasure that I look at the progress of your project. Owning one too, I'm amazed at your work.
The recovery of HRC parts is just bluffing and it must be hard work because of the scarcity and price of parts.
It's very interesting to see the difference between HRC parts and those of a series bike.
I can say that you and vintagehonda.NL have the two most beautiful HRC replica of Honda 250 CR 2001.
Continue to make us dream with this sublime bike.

PS: You will have to make a new shooting so much you have changed parts since the last time Tongue
Godcho.. do you have a picture of your bike?
kxman
5/12/2019 3:21am
mxBryan wrote:
Been quiet here for a long time but actually in the meantime i have found alot of HRC parts that were crucial to get my bike...
Been quiet here for a long time but actually in the meantime i have found alot of HRC parts that were crucial to get my bike even closer to the original bike the team built for Carmichael !
Most off the parts i found over the months were either brand new or almost in new condition which made me very happy.

Was pretty pumped when i found a set of very low hour factory SHOWA 51mm forks. I had to have them when i saw them for sale, parts like this are very very rare and don't come up for sale often.
Once arrived at my place i really noticed in which well preserved condition these forks where in, really in almost perfect condition ! Let the pictures speak for themselves.

Here is a comparison between OEM 47mm showa forks and the factory 51mm forks HRC used !

Another part that adds a value to the details of this bike is a HRC replica oil plug.

I also managed to find a HRC magnesium rear hub together with a Titanium HRC axle. The rear hub is either new or very low used as the entire hub is in pretty new coniditon, no major scuffs or rock marks on the hub and the original paint/coating is in immaculate condition.
The HRC hub has a fatter center piece and has 6 bolts on the brake disc side, compared to OEM which only has 4 bolts on brake disc side.

Since the start of this build i had a HRC shift lever but not the correct length i needed, there are a ton of different HRC shift levers, all look pretty much the same but the difference is in the length and the bend of the lever. The one i had was EKD-101 but i needed a E7HL-122
I couldn't be more happier when a brand new E7HL-122 HRC shift lever popped up. Really perfect condition with a brand new rubber tip and original HRC Titanium bolt !
This means i have a HRC shift lever EKD-101 for sale ! Mail me at bryanborny@hotmail.com if you're interested.

Last year i produced my own HRC replica engine guards, but nothing beats finding a original used HRC one !

One off the best finds besides the factory forks is this brand new unused NOS magnesium HRC ignition cover.
Just perfect condition and not a single scratch in the original DOW coating. 4 original HRC Alloy bolts came with it which was a nice addition.
I was already very happy with the TMV alloy replica HRC ignition cover i had, which had a magnesium look-a-like coating to it, but again.. nothing beats original HRC parts especially when they are in perfect unused condition.

One of my friends helped me out with a used front HRC "fat" hub which is billet aluminum, another great major find for this bike ! The center off the hub is much fatter and actually hollow on the inside compared to a OEM hub.
This fat hub makes the wheels stand out more and looks much better than OEM.

Front aluminum hub together with the magnesium rear hub. HRC used this magnesium/aluminum hub combination from 1997 to 2001.

My friend also helped me out with a NOS brand new HRC front brake disc cover, which only fits the factory SHOWA forks ! Also i got the correct size HRC rear hub spacers and HRC titanium rear brake disc bolts.
The rear brake disc bolts are specially made by HRC to fit the rear brake disc.

I also managed to find an original good condition HRC magnesium clutch cover which is very rare nowadays, it is not sure if this clutch cover still has it's original DOW coating or not but i think it has been repainted, either way the clutch cover doesn't have signs off corossion which was a common problem on these magnesium covers. There are also no boot marks, scuffs, scratches or damage from rocks. Just an amazing survived piece of HRC jewelry i was lucky enough to get ! + i got 6 original HRC aluminum bolts with it.

Some more parts i'm waiting for is a NOS HRC rear brake disc, front brake caliper carrier which only fits factory SHOWA forks and at least a set off Titanium HRC replica footpegs that vintagehonda.nl built.
The Titanium replica footpegs were a complete set containing the bolts, brackets, footpegs, pins and springs.
With the modern technology we have nowadays, Corné from vintagehonda was able to machine 1/1 perfect replicas of the original HRC Titanium footpegs. They are finally finished and heading our way !
Only 5 sets were made of these replica footpegs which makes it as rare as finding originals.

The future plans for this bike are to build entire new wheels with the HRC hubs i have now, i would only need to find a D.I.D. silver rim in size 2.15x19 with 40 holes as the HRC rear hub i have has 40 holes instead of 32 like OEM.
I know Kawasaki, Yamaha etc.. used 40holes rims, while Honda used 32holes rims !

I would also need to find HRC clamps which have the specifications to mount the 51mm factory SHOWA forks.

Another plan is to take the bike completely apart and have Corné from vintagehonda.nl modify my frame to be able to mount the engine guard and skid plate on the exact same way like HRC modified their frames.

But first i need to finish some other projects i have started and given priority to because i don't have that much time anymore to work on my projects due to my career switch i have been through since last year.
Ring emig racing. They will make you some replica clamps just need some photos and fork size
5/20/2019 10:57am
bryan , I know a complete nos hrc kit for sale.
gearbox
ignition
cylinder
etc etc

but its very serious money!

mxBryan
11/3/2019 1:51am
Got some updates and more genuine HRC parts found from over the past months !

I finally finished my HRC wheels, had to find an D.I.D. rear rim with 36 holes instead of regular 32 holes like OEM.
The problem was sorting out spokes to fit the HRC rear hub and the new D.I.D. rim, after alot of patience and trying out different things.. i managed to find what spokes i had to use.
Front wheel was no issue due to that OEM specification spokes just fit a HRC fat front hub.

Having the 51mm factory SHOWA forks is one thing, but we also needed alot of other hardware and parts to actually be able to mount up these forks and make everything work !
Found the front axle and eccentric HRC steering bearings. These bearings were needed because the HRC clamps need smaller bearings compared to OEM steering bearings, OEM bearings would not work here.
Same for the front axle, an OEM axle would just not work with the factory forks.

NOS brand new HRC rear disc, will only work on a HRC rear hub as that takes a brake disc with 6 holes instead of 4 like OEM. Plus a HRC Titanium rear axle to spice things up.

I also needed the HRC front brake carrier, it only fits to factory SHOWA forks 47mm, 49mm and 51mm as those machined billet fork lugs have other dimensions, so a OEM brake carrier and OEM brake disc cover don't work on the factory forks..
The OEM front brake caliper does fit the carrier though !

Took a long time to find a good set of HRC triple clamps that are made for 51mm forks. Finally found a set together with the Titanium steering stem.
The set was in good condition and came in red, but i needed my clamps in silver color like it was on Ricky's 2001 MXdN bike.

I soaked the clamps in caustic soda solution to eat off the red anodise. The solution eats away the anodise in no time, but the fiinish was way to etched and stainy to be satisfied.

I ended up vapor blasting the clamps as i knew what finish vapor blast gives and that was the finish i aimed for.
Really came out great !

Last things i need to be able to finally mount up the 51mm factory forks are 8 HRC bolts for the clamps and seals for the bearings. When that is sorted out, i can finally after 1 year mount the forks to my bike !
11/3/2019 2:05am
The vapor blasting gives a very nice finish. Does the finish leave fingerprints easily?
mxBryan
11/3/2019 9:14am
The vapor blasting gives a very nice finish. Does the finish leave fingerprints easily?
If you touch it with dirty fingers it will leave fingerprints just like on any other part whether it’s anodised, painted etc..
The good part is that you can clean it off and you won’t notice anything.
Good thing about vapor blast is that it only cleans your part and make it shiny, not make it rough like dry blasting with glass would do !
Dry blasting makes your aluminum parts a little rough, that’s why it doesn’t shine and it’s very prone to dirty fingers and mostly you won’t be able to clean off a dirty finger stain on a dry blasted part. Experienced myself lol.
I learned over the years that dry blasting aluminum is only good if you’re going to paint or cerakote it afterwards due to the roughness.

11/3/2019 11:33am
mxBryan wrote:
If you touch it with dirty fingers it will leave fingerprints just like on any other part whether it’s anodised, painted etc.. The good part is...
If you touch it with dirty fingers it will leave fingerprints just like on any other part whether it’s anodised, painted etc..
The good part is that you can clean it off and you won’t notice anything.
Good thing about vapor blast is that it only cleans your part and make it shiny, not make it rough like dry blasting with glass would do !
Dry blasting makes your aluminum parts a little rough, that’s why it doesn’t shine and it’s very prone to dirty fingers and mostly you won’t be able to clean off a dirty finger stain on a dry blasted part. Experienced myself lol.
I learned over the years that dry blasting aluminum is only good if you’re going to paint or cerakote it afterwards due to the roughness.

Nice!

Post a reply to: CR250 Ricky Carmichael 2001 MXoN replica build (New parts found !)

The Latest