Head gasket quick fix?

gavin_may
Edited Date/Time 12/31/2015 12:28pm
Let me start out by saying that I'm NOT going to try running head gasket sealer thru my bike, I'm just curious.

Well my buddy and I have been wanting to go ride up in Arizona for A while now and we finally organized A trip to stay up with his family and go ride for A couple days. We drove up 17 hours they just to come ride A little. I brought my 12 KX250F which I have owned for almost a year now and only been able to ride twice due to countless problem and sketchy mechanics. I usually do my own work but I am having trouble balancing high school,work and finding time to work on this bike. Is other reason I sent it to A mechanic is because I wanted to be sure that everything went smooth thru this trip. I had him rebuild the bikes top end completely and throw in A fastheads head with titanium valves just for that little bit of security.
Well after the First ride A tappet chipped causing A horrible noise to come from the top end. The mechanic fixed it and assured me that there were going to be no more surprises. Keep in mind that I've only put one hour on this bike in the entire year that I've owned it.
Well we make it down to Arizona and I'm throwing on my new gear and I'm just ready to ride. I double check everything I can because I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.
The bike idles fine but is extremely low on power but I just brushed it off because I was desperate to go out and ride but about 20 minutes into our great desert adventure the bike starts spewing coolant out the overflow all over the header and spitting oil all over my new light colored fox instincts and fox 360 gear. I decide that I'm too far into this bike to just keep running it and ruin it by warping the brand new head that I only have one ride on. My buddy ancist that we pull the head up just enough to squirt silicon sealer all over the gasket in the driveway of his grandparents house with the very limited hand tools that we have because we are already in Arizona and I might as well do it but I refuse because last time I let him work on my bike he snapped the chain tensioner bolts on the swing arm off and I had to make A spacer out of hardware that I found laying around and ziptie that in place.
Anyways He keeps telling me just to trash the bike and have fun but I refuse. It shows pretty obvious signs of A head gasket problem like white smoke out the exhaust, smell of burning coolant,coolant in oil, Coolant loss and the bike running really bad. I tell my friend that I'm not going to weigh him down and he should go ride without me and home still being mad at me for not letting him take my bike apart in the driveway leaves me with his grandpa at the house while he goes out and rides.
This is on the Sunday two days after Christmas so there's no way I'm going to be able to get my bike in anywhere to be fixed because everyone is closed until Tuesday which is our last day here.
I know about head gasket issues front the 6.0l powerstrokes which were notorious for head gasket issues and I know that most autopart stores sell head gasket sealer so I'm just curious what would happen if I just put some In and changed out my oil because I have nothing better to do other than sit in McDonald in wickenburg Arizona because it's the only place within 15 miles of the house that has Free wifi and ask y'all because my bike couldn't even handle the first 30 minutes of riding on the one day that it should work perfectly. I have no other options and I accept that this trip was a waste of time,money, and resources and that I most likely will be having to sit around random fast food restraints siphoning wifi just to be told that I'm out of luck. I'm just curious what y'all would do in this situation and if y'all have any solutions in mind because anything helps and anything could keep me entertained here because even driving into town I see all the badass trails washes and fire roads that I'm missing out on.
I'm really sorry for this being so long And having so many errors because like I said I had to drive to a McDonald's one town over just to get the wifi to be able to load vital on my phone and post this.
Anything helps, thank y'all.
|
MX690
12/28/2015 4:18am
I think your out of luck mate, the only proper way to fix it is pull the head off and see what's going on. As for your buddy, I wouldn't let him pump up my Tyres if that's his solution to fixing your head gasket. There is no way you can just raise the head a little to put sealant on the gasket. You would have to remove your cam caps, and re tension them back up,cams, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, drain all your coolant, undo all your head bolts, and re tension them up again, remove your header. Plus other things that I probably forgot. If your going to go to all that trouble you may as well just pull the head right off and do it properly. I'd be pretty pissed with the mechanic who originally did the the job in the first place, obviously he fucked something up. Good luck with it mate. Oh and lack of power from the get go, sounds like the timing could be out a tooth. Good luck.
gavin_may
12/28/2015 8:31am
MX690 wrote:
I think your out of luck mate, the only proper way to fix it is pull the head off and see what's going on. As for...
I think your out of luck mate, the only proper way to fix it is pull the head off and see what's going on. As for your buddy, I wouldn't let him pump up my Tyres if that's his solution to fixing your head gasket. There is no way you can just raise the head a little to put sealant on the gasket. You would have to remove your cam caps, and re tension them back up,cams, cam chain, cam chain tensioner, drain all your coolant, undo all your head bolts, and re tension them up again, remove your header. Plus other things that I probably forgot. If your going to go to all that trouble you may as well just pull the head right off and do it properly. I'd be pretty pissed with the mechanic who originally did the the job in the first place, obviously he fucked something up. Good luck with it mate. Oh and lack of power from the get go, sounds like the timing could be out a tooth. Good luck.
I wish I could do it the right way but I just don't have access to the the right tools bit I just don't. I can't even get a gasket until tomorrow because the shops are closed. When I get back to Texas I'll probably go back to A 2 stroke because this bike has kept me from riding longer than a injury would.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
12/28/2015 9:38am
Yeah no quick fix for this one. Unfortunately, Kawi 4-strokes are known for head gasket problems. Buy a Honda or a 2-stroke and have less issues.
geo309
12/28/2015 9:40am
You could try bars leak from an auto parts store.

The Shop

DPR250R
12/28/2015 12:59pm
I remember being in high school and not having the tools, knowledge or money to fix my bike issues. Sucks man.

Have you contacted the mechanic sfter second failure? Try to het money back from him. Dont let him touch it again.

Pull the motor and ship it to a reliable builder?
Dragoo168
12/28/2015 2:02pm
That sucks, and I feel for you man, but consider the trip a loss and don't do anything! If you do, then you blow any chance of taking it back to whoever fixed it and getting it repaired for free, and I would definitely press the issue with whoever fixed it/worked on it!
cable
12/28/2015 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2015 5:07pm
Car mechanics use the Blu devil.. I have successfully used this, when i got my car back after two years of being stolen. water was literally spraying out the exhaust, and it stopped and ran fine. I got the advice from a really really good car mechanic. I haven't used it since and not sure i would in a bike but...
http://www.amazon.com/BlueDevil-Pour-N-Go-Head-Gasket-Sealer/dp/B004500…
gavin_may
12/31/2015 12:28pm
I decided that i shouldn't ruin the bike even more than it already is and left it in the garage. Considering how unreliable it had been to me and how much money ive dumped into it I decided to spend the money and get it repaired at woods cycle country back home and then sell it and get A KTM 150 2 stroke or A newer YZ125 or YZ250 2 stroke because I liked my kx125 but it blew up so i decided to try A fuel injected 4 stroke.
I ended up taking the sierra 2500 Duramax out in the desert and blasting down some fire roads and chasing my buddy on his 15 crf450r and we would periodically switch off but since I didn't know the trails very well I didn't get to do much desert roaming but we did find A nice tank where we shoveled for A while and shot a couple coyotes and ended up with some pretty nice little transfers.
I wish we were better prepared for this but since we had spent 4 weeks prepping the bikes for the trip we just brought some T handles and other random tools because they didn't take up as much space and wouldn't have been a big deal if we lost them on the trip up. Next time we make this trip hopefully i'll have A newer 2 stroke which i have far more experience wrenching on because the only other 4 strokes i had worked on were my crf50 pit bike and my stock-mod KLX110, other than that i had rebuilt A chrysler 200 engine so i didn't want to tear apart my bike based on my knowledge of car engines and not having the manual with me made it way more sketchy. I probably should have just brought my 110 because it's been 100 times more reliable than this 250. It would have worked out better if I had just found the time to do the rebuild myself instead of hiring A mechanic I barely knew.

Post a reply to: Head gasket quick fix?

The Latest