Honda Frame Crack

Edited Date/Time 6/10/2021 8:22am
Has anyone seen a Honda crack in this area before? This is a 2004 CR125 with a total of 15 hours on it.

|
JWACK
8/16/2016 8:38pm
Looks like a loose steering stem combined with jumps to me..
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
8/16/2016 9:38pm
JWACK wrote:
Id have to agree with you. I'm not sure how you'd torque to spec the steering stem nut, but I'd like to know for the future
Stonedmason
8/17/2016 5:36pm
I have cracked two Honda aluminum frames. An 06 cr 250 and an 07 cr 250. Both with good steering stem bearings no slack. I had a guy who is a metallurgist look at the second one I broke and he said I should sand down the casting so it's smooth because sharp point especially on seams create stress fractures. Just what I was told take it for what it's worth.

The Shop

IceMan446
8/17/2016 6:50pm
JWACK wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Id have to agree with you. I'm not sure how you'd torque to spec the steering stem nut, but I'd like to know for the future
Don't know the name of the tool but it has a wrench on one end and a 3/8s female end on the other end. Use a torque wrench at a 90 degree angle to the tool and you can torque it.
Bearuno
8/17/2016 11:50pm Edited Date/Time 8/17/2016 11:52pm
I have cracked two Honda aluminum frames. An 06 cr 250 and an 07 cr 250. Both with good steering stem bearings no slack. I had...
I have cracked two Honda aluminum frames. An 06 cr 250 and an 07 cr 250. Both with good steering stem bearings no slack. I had a guy who is a metallurgist look at the second one I broke and he said I should sand down the casting so it's smooth because sharp point especially on seams create stress fractures. Just what I was told take it for what it's worth.
Correct.

Yes, loose steering head bearings can cause problems, that fork is a massive lever. But, on nearly every aluminium frame repair I've made at the steering head (and other areas of frames) , it's been down to casting lines and the stress raisers they focus (combined with the normal, serious forces a frame has to deal with), and other types of stress raisers that are often part of the design / casting. Any sharp edges / corners, say at the bearing landings, are massive stress raisers, waiting for a crack to be generated at.

Most of these frames are made of very specifically age hardening alloys (so as not to require post fab heat treatment) - well, most aluminium alloys are just that (within a wide range , not to mention 'work' hardening so many materials are prone to) and, hardness, tends towards brittleness when it's a result of 'working' the finished structure through usage. Most MC aluminium frames a quite overbuilt, to withstand usage / provide a big safety factor, so, many repairs can be possible, if not entirely advisable . It's when you get to real minimalist engineering, highlighted with Bicycles that it gets very risky to repair damage. I refuse most aluminium Bicycle repairs, and encourage owners to thank the frame for not failing catastrophically, and that they hang it up as part of their past, or completely scrap it, so others don't get tempted to re-use them.

When you replace a frame, with one of the same vintage ( unless it's brand spanking new), you generally don't know it's usage history, and, it's a bloody old frame in and of itself. So, be very wary of any old frame you get to replace another, or, indeed, any old AF frame you get for the usual 'AF" project. A 2007 model bike, generally has a frame that's had, right now , at least 10 years of 'age' to it.
mark1960
8/18/2016 12:04am
I think the cracks started at Honda when Mc Grath left and really opened wide after RC disappeared.
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
2/8/2021 11:36pm
I bought a 2003 cr125 in pieces for a project and the frame was cracked at the head but the opposite side. Just bought a replacement off a wrecked cr125 and it’s also cracked in the same spot. Thinking now I should repair the crack, will this fix the issue or will it just continue to crack after welding?
2/9/2021 8:37am
Same exact thing happened to my buddies 07 Honda 450f, he had it weld repaired and seems to be working fine so far.
LKHill
2/9/2021 9:29am
How dare you discuss the inadequacies of the Imperial Honda Motorcycle?
redduk
2/9/2021 2:28pm
Same thing same place on my 08 crf 450r
Fresh
Fantasy
3304th
2/9/2021 5:00pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/09/477748/s1200_E4AC8DE4_C7B5_4D9C_AF92_C2ED20335B55.jpg[/img]

Have you got a photo of the repair?
6/9/2021 10:16am
Well boys, I'm in the club. 2006 CR 125. My crack is at the front of the head tube.

This winter, after reading this thread, I inspected mine and I noticed this little guy. Only visible from the top, not from inside the tube or outside.

I wasn't alarmed and I also didn't know for how long it's been there. So I reassembled the bike and rode it keeping that in mind also telling myself I'll keep an eye on it.

Took a look at it this morning. Did about 5 hours of track time since this winter.

It grew considerably. Probably about 3cm long and visible from inside and out.

I don't know what I'll do with that thing for now... Not riding it anymore that's for sure. I'm pretty sad.
R66
6/9/2021 10:26am
JWACK wrote:
langhammx wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:
Don't know the name of the tool but it has a wrench on one end and a 3/8s female end on the other end. Use a...
Don't know the name of the tool but it has a wrench on one end and a 3/8s female end on the other end. Use a torque wrench at a 90 degree angle to the tool and you can torque it.
The headset can still be loose with the top nut torqued.
6/10/2021 8:22am
Well boys, I'm in the club. 2006 CR 125. My crack is at the front of the head tube. This winter, after reading this thread, I...
Well boys, I'm in the club. 2006 CR 125. My crack is at the front of the head tube.

This winter, after reading this thread, I inspected mine and I noticed this little guy. Only visible from the top, not from inside the tube or outside.

I wasn't alarmed and I also didn't know for how long it's been there. So I reassembled the bike and rode it keeping that in mind also telling myself I'll keep an eye on it.

Took a look at it this morning. Did about 5 hours of track time since this winter.

It grew considerably. Probably about 3cm long and visible from inside and out.

I don't know what I'll do with that thing for now... Not riding it anymore that's for sure. I'm pretty sad.
Have it welded, then grind it down. Only thing you can do 🤷🏼‍♂️

Post a reply to: Honda Frame Crack

The Latest